Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Santa Clara 49ers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Santa Clara 49ers? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15987946.htm?source=r ss

I'm kinda freaking out over this. Growing up I also have been a 49er fan. Now there talking about moving it? What the hell? There is rummors going around saying that even if they move, which wouldn't change there name. So they'd be the San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara. All over a stupid stadium too...

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I heard about it. My response, meh, it's common. I live in the current flavor of the week for NBA teams to threaten to move (Oklahoma City). This practice has been going on for years.

It's just business. Whenever the cities don't want to give the owners what they want, owners threaten with a reasonable threat location. Those moves only occur if another reasonable threat location opens up, because everyone in the league knows that, if there are none, they have no where to negotiate with their respective cities. For the NFL, there are many reasonable threat locations, as a lot of places want a team, even if they can't support them (Los Angelas being the prime example, Mexico City being one of the more ideal ones). He threatened to move to strongarm the San Fransiscan government into bending to his whim, knowing that fans of the team will be in an uproar over it.

As for the stadium, these things are always about the stadium. One thing most fans don't realise is that sports teams rarely make a profit for their home cities. Profits are very rare (it occured in Oklahoma City, mostly because they didn't have to set-up the stadium, as they already had one.) In fact, sports teams cost their city millions on a regular basis. Aside from the stadium cost (which is usually heavily subsidized), there are the infrastructure costs (the roads leading up to it), the utility costs (which are typically covered by the city) and the rent (which is usually at a heavy discount for the owners). Sports leagues, the NFL in particular, takes the city's hook, line and sinker, when they don't provide any genuine economic incentive for the city to invest in them. Even in the area directly around the stadium, you see most of those attending just commuting in without spending any significant time around the stadium.

What a team is is a venue, something that might help attract more business. But when you are in a city like San Francisco, you have plenty of venues already. The team leaving won't usually have a significant impact. Even if they move, it'd be like the Dallas Cowboys, where they are playing in Arlington or something like that.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

all i can say is as long as they keep the san francisco 49ers name i'll be fine if they move.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
all i can say is as long as they keep the san francisco 49ers name i'll be fine if they move.

But won't that bug the crap out of you? The Santa Clara San Francisco 49ers? It may be because I'm biast, but they should just leam 'em here! Who thinks of Santa Clara when they think of the gold rush anyway? :(

Well, I'll always be a 49er fan no matter where to move to. As long as they keep the name.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if they did change it to santa clara 49ers i'll deffinetly hate that and may have to find a new team to like. funny thing is that san francisco withdrew it's name from trying to host the 2008 olympics.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though they play in New Jersey, they are still called the "New York Giants". What does it matter?

No matter what city they're playing in, it'll still be the same sucky team. :P

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's nothing wqrong at all with teams playing outside their respective cities. The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park. They're not called the Orchard Park Bills. Dallas plays in Arlington and they're still the Dallas Cowboys. Both New York football teams play in New Jersey at the Meadowlands. The important part is the team name and city name stay the same.

Exceptions to this are the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets of the NBA and the Los Angeles Angels of Aneheim of Major Leage Baseball. This is two instances where the city change makes no sense at all. Los Angeles has the Dodgers, they don't need the Angels anymore. I hate how throughout the last 20 or so years the Angels can't seem to keep their name straight. California Angels, Los Angeles Angels, Anaheim Angels and now Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? What in Don Sutton is that? Its retarded.

I will give you a defense though for this Jorge. Santa Clara is much closer to San Jose than it is to San Francisco. If they move the name generally should change to the nearest large city and San Jose is that cisy. I'd hate for the 49ers to be dubber the San Jose 49ers. If the staduim were to be in San Matteo or Redwood then it'd be better. Santa Clara is outside the bay peninsula and thats no longer San Francisco.

I am all for a team having a better stadium, but moving it too far from their home city is not the solution. Arlington is just west of Dallas. The Meadowlands are just across the river in Jersey. Orchard Park is a direct suburb of Buffalo. Santa Clara isn't a direct suburb of San Francisco. Although it is about as close to San Francisco as Arlington is to Dallas. It sjut the proximity to San Jose that disturbs me.

Servo, the history of the 49ers is pretty big, so for them to move or change their name it would really be a major thing. The worst thing to happen since the Colts went to Indianapolis or the Browns turning into the Ravens maybe, but the Browns weren't a major team in NFL history like the 49ers and Colts were.

I can understand this move though. Like Amyral said, its a business move. Being inside San Francisco won't help the city as much as if it were placed in Santa Clara or another outerlying city. The city of San Francisco is quite fine with revenues from all the other businesses in the city that moving the team to a suburb won't dramatically kill the economy. If anything it will boost the economy of the suburb area and the busineses there. I'm not from California, nor have I ever been there. However I rarely hear that Santa Clara is a hotbed of business and activity. Maybe putting the stadium there will make Santa Clara flourish and economucally bring more money into the region. If I were to vacation to California, I'd definitely want to see the 49ers play. I'd go to Santa Clara to do this, and I would be going to San Francisco anyhow because there's so much to do there. So the city wouldn't really lose out on my business without the team being there. If the 49ers weren't in Santa Clara, I'd probably not even go there, so its a positive business venture.

Also, there's a history to the team that will be upheld. I severely doubt that the 49ers will change their name to Santa Clara 49ers or even the San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara. It won't be done. They'll always be known as the San Francsico 49ers as long as they're in the bay area.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Exceptions to this are the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets of the NBA.

Exactly how does it not make sense? The Hornets moved to Oklahoma City when the Superdome was made unavailable. It was a financial windfall for the owner and the Oklahomans turned attendence for the team from last in the league to a top 10 team. The team and the NBA signed a temporary contract, giving the team a few years plus an option of another, since it was unknown whether New Orleans would be capable of supporting a team anytime soon. Because Oklahoma City took the team, they were given the city name as a moniker for as long as they played there, which was always a temporary agreement (even though it was more profitable in their temporary location than they ever were in New Orleans).

As for Santa Clara, I've yet to see a single economic study that has shown a stadium having a positive economic effect on a city, mostly because it doesn't make sense. The winners are the owners, who reap the vast majority of the benefits while putting the costs onto the local citizens. San Francisco gets to rid themselves of an economic drain. Even if they are losing a venue, they're coming out ahead. Odds are, it would only be a financial burden, as a whole, on Santa Clara, and the city will lose out in the long run (particularly if the team remains as bad as it is.)
Zachwie

The Guillotine Order

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They stated that if it happened, they would still be called the San Francisco 49ers. Santa Clara would not be picked up in the name. There is way too much tradition there to change it anyway.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind the team moving to Santa Clara if it means finally getting a brand-new state-of-the-art stadium to replace the piece of offal that is Monster Park at Candlestick Point. I've been a rapid and fanatical fan of the 49ers since 1982 and I've followed them through their two decades of being a dynasty to their current sorry state. One thing that seem to have escaped a franchise as storied as the 49ers is the fact that they still play in one of the oldest and least renovated stadiums in the NFL. Even the Dallas Cowboys were able to get a new stadium.

The team moving to Santa Clara will mean higher revenues for the team which would make it more competitive in signing free agents. Anyone who thinks free agents only go to teams that are succeeding are fooling themselves. Players will always go for the team that can afford them best and who have the most luxurious and up-to-date facilities. With Santa Clara being in the heart of Silicon Valley it's not such a tall leap to assume that the 80,500 seat stadium they have planned will be the most state-of-the-art in the league.

The name change I don't have a problem with since it will stay San Francisco even if they play in Santa Clara. The league owns the name San Francisco 49ers. The city itself do not own it. They could sue to have the Yorks not use the San Francisco part, but even there the city has no leg to stand on since the team had given the city of San Francisco many chances to try and get a new stadium deal done. I know some may mention the Cleveland Browns becoming the Baltimore Ravens when Art Modell moved the team from Cleveland to Baltimore, but he had chosen to change the team name since the geographical differences between the two cities were not separated by a county but a whole state or two. One other thing on the team's side is the fact that even when they were going through their two decade dominance of the league most of the fans who attended the game didn't even live in San Francisco yet the team kept the name anyway.

The city of San Francisco really doesn't deserve the team after how its people have treated it. If there's one thing I really don't like about San Francisco is that they don't appreciate their sport franchises when they're there, but the moment talk of them moving away starts they start shouting bloody murder. I say that york go through with his plan unless the city of San Francisco comes up with another that doesn't involve building an adjacent shopping mall (a what the fudge concept that one is) and in land away from Candlestick Point.

Fighting First

139174 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow! I havent heard anything about the 49ers leaving San Francisco. That would be a horrible thing, expectually over a stadium.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I read the title I thought "Why in the blue hell are this guys talking about Santa Clara? Yeah, it's the best team ever in Azores and the only one from there to reach the first league, but man... And what is it about the "49'ers" thingy?"

For those who didn't understand, there's a football (soccer for you Americans) team called Santa Clara here in Portugal, in the Azores archipelago.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Omerta wrote:
Wow! I havent heard anything about the 49ers leaving San Francisco. That would be a horrible thing, expectually over a stadium.

I say if they leave but stay in the area and they get a state-of-the-art stadium out of it then I say go on and move. Most of the 49er fans tend to live outside San Francisco anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: