Suikoden United and Informational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

the end of saddam
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: the end of saddam Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15567363/?GT1=8717

is the sentence what you expected or were you expecting another outcome (outside the guilty) for saddam?

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The death sentences automatically go to a nine-judge appeals panel which has unlimited time to review the case. If the verdicts and sentences are upheld, the executions must be carried out within 30 days.

Unlimited time to review the case? talking about slow law enforcement.

I assumed it would go like that, seeing I'm against the death row I sure don't like it; nevertheless I think It was everyone's guess that they would give him the capital punishment. What's worse than dying, right? :roll:
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This was totally unexpected. I had my money on a stoning.

But seriously, it went alot quicker than I expected. I didnt think they would finish until at least mid 2007.

Can you imagine how much tickets to his hanging wil go for on eBay, assuming its public?

Quote:
I assumed it would go like that, seeing I'm against the death row I sure don't like it; nevertheless I think It was everyone's guess that they would give him the capital punishment. What's worse than dying, right?

Well life imprisonment is worse, as you have to live with no hope. But Saddam is just way too dangerous to be kept alive.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is what I expected for Saddam, but I am somewhat question the validity of his trial.

The article says that three of his lawyers were killed and another fled the country, along with a fomer US attorney general calling it 'a travesty.' I would have also liked if the article had talked about if his killing of the 148 shiites was a legitimate legal action or not. It mentions many times that he approved the action, but it also says that they did have a failed assassination attempt. I don't have much knowledge of pre-America influence Iraqi law, but the death penalty for people attmeping to assassinate the president doesn't seem unheard of to me.

Also, if you consider what would happen in America is Saddam was not shown guilty, the 'we're liberating the Iraqi people' argument for invasion is thrown out the window, meaning that every reason we would have had of invading is gone.

All of this may not have contributed to this outcome, but there's lots of things to consider about this trial befier I can feel confortable with the legitimacy of the outcome.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I expected him to get the death penalty. I didn't think it was going to be by hanging, but no matter how they do it, the end result is the same.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope, he pretty much got what I expected. The trial was held to convict him and was pretty much a circus, with a revolving door of lawyers and judges. I expected the hanging.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought the trial was more of a formality into his death sentence, lets face it, that mans not going to be found not guilty after all thats happened in Iraq. If he were found not guilty, the consequences would be severe to Iraqis and the "Coalition." I don't think anyone even considered the man could be innocent, I'm not saying he was, because hes obviously done some terrible things in power, but the chances of a fair trial are laughable at best.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's exactly what I think Yvl, I was pretty much being sarcastic there.

I'm not familiar at all with the penal code of Iraq, do they have more than one way to execute the capital punishment? Because states in general stipulate just one way to enforce such sentences; they probably think it would be a bit gross if they had like a "menu" to choose executing methods from.

Edit:

Forget it, I missed the firing squad paragraph, dumb me.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Can you imagine how much tickets to his hanging wil go for on eBay, assuming its public?

to bad it won't be public. they said they put a curfew on the citizens there during the his execution since they hope that there won't be any types of attacks after his death, which there prolly will be or at least some will try.

i was surprised to hear he was going to be hanged. he really deserves to die a slow painful death after all the things he did.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it was pretty obvious he was going to sentenced to death, but im not for the death penalty so i don't think it is right that they hang him, how can you justify taking one life, even if he has taken thousands, it is still a life and make the executors just as bad as he was.

Personally i think he should be left to rot in a prison cell somewhere.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

to bad it won't be public. they said they put a curfew on the citizens there during the his execution since they hope that there won't be any types of attacks after his death, which there prolly will be or at least some will try.

Hasn't stopped me from making a few hundred grand off this.

Quote:

Personally i think he should be left to rot in a prison cell somewhere.

As I said to Futch as well, he's just too dangerous to be kept alive, as people will still expect him to retun, further prolonging the violence over there.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although he is a very nasty man, I couldn't even imagine whats going through his head right now has people from all over the world are reliefed and celebrating over his comming death.

Although its not public..I have some feeling there will be a recording that will somehow float around the internet. I'm actually thinking a hanging isn't so bad. That or the typcial "injections" because I know it must be done..or I know there isn't any control over it so I figured finish him off as soon as possible. However again Im also agaisnt the death penalty. I'm sure if you kept him in prison the rest of his years..he might just hang himself.

463 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

revenge for all the people hes murdered.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:

The article says that three of his lawyers were killed and another fled the country, along with a fomer US attorney general calling it 'a travesty.' I would have also liked if the article had talked about if his killing of the 148 shiites was a legitimate legal action or not. It mentions many times that he approved the action, but it also says that they did have a failed assassination attempt. I don't have much knowledge of pre-America influence Iraqi law, but the death penalty for people attmeping to assassinate the president doesn't seem unheard of to me.

Part of that 148 dead were women and children. Not only killed but mercilessly tortured. There is no legitimate legal action against women and children. If it was retaliation against his assassination attempt, he should have tried to take out those that were involved, not random innocent people.

I am surprised this was the only thing he was being tried under. What about his acts of genocide against certain people in his country? His testing of hazerdous gas materials on innocent towns, where none survived?

I see it as a fitting end to a horrible tyrannical reign. I think the people that have stated that keeping him alive would be too risky are right. Although he was such a horrible man, there is a slight percentage that still supports him.

I may be completely wrong, but I do not think that there will be any more violence stemming from his verdict. As I read, it stated that there were only 2,000 people protesting the outcome in Tikrit, which is a pretty big city, if I remember correctly, and was a city that had a higher percentage of Hussein supporters. We will see, however.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

I am surprised this was the only thing he was being tried under. What about his acts of genocide against certain people in his country? His testing of hazerdous gas materials on innocent towns, where none survived?

That's because getting witnesses for really huge cases will take a lot of time, and bog down the proceedings. They just went with a "heavy enough case" with substantial evidence, instead of piling up tons of cases that would have delayed the proceedings until Saddam dies of old age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: