Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Google helps doctors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Google helps doctors Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6132856.stm.

Well, looks like instead of doctors we'll walk into a room with a computer and type in our symptoms, then getting a diagnosis and some treatment. Is that a laughable concept or could that soon be a reality? I'm probably reading into this too much, but I think this kind of thing could really become a reality soon. Google seemed to get 15 out of 26 correct, not too shabby for a search engine I'd say.

Of course we have the normal "Search engines are no replacement for doctors" quotes, but that is stating the obvious, right now they are not suitable replacements, but maybe one day this could very well be the norm.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a nice concept, but I still think there's no replacing real doctors even if it means just diagnosing a patient's symptoms. Unless one was trained in the medical field we really can't describe every symptom afflicting us accurately to a search engine. The more obvious ones should be easy enough to describe, but unless every sympton is listed then the search engine's diagnosis will not be very accurate since it's basing it on incomplete data.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is rubbish. A doctor spends about 6-8 years learning to diagnose disease and the effects of treatments available and the interaction with other medication the patient may be taking. on top of that, for the rest of their career, they are constantly updating their knowledge of new diseases that may have been misdiagnosed before, new treatments, techniques, medications, so on.

It's a novelty mainly for the public to see what they may have, or as a second diagnosis or something.

I would hate if I went to see my doctor and he started googling symptoms. One doctor I Used to visit had a computer program where he checked off symptoms to update my record, and to write down what he thought i may have and the medicine he gave me. It's not like doctors can't use computers to aid in diagnosis. I just wouldn't want them googling it when I go to see a doctor. I mean, my doc gets $40 for about the 5-15 minutes he spends with me (I pay 8 dollars of that out of my pocket thanks to medicare in Australia). They're paid too much to just sit and google your symptoms. and if they misdiagnose you? Is it googles fault? nope. The doctor has to be held accountable.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm an aspiring doctor, so I think this is a bit strange. Instead of googling symptoms, shouldn't they have a sort of international website where they can diagnose patients there or something? Over the years, Google has become less serious with expressions such as "Google it!" going around.

But whatever. Let some people do what they want.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But whatever. Let some people do what they want.

Angelus, There's some types of programs that help in diagnosing, but ultimatly it's the doctors call. If doctors are free to google symptoms and use that as their diagnosis, then as Tulluryx said, it's incomplete data. In the us, you have to pay the full amount to see your doctor, is that correct? In other countries, some or all the cost is subsidised by the government health system. It would be a waste of Tax dollars, or private dollars, to let doctors one day use google as their diagnosis tool.

And plus, I mean, what if you just wanted to take a few sickies from work, to make like an ultra long weekend? if technology develops so much so we don't get diagnosed by doctors but by machines, you can kiss those sick days goodbye, and get back to work! what hell!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schala-Kid wrote:
In the us, you have to pay the full amount to see your doctor, is that correct? In other countries, some or all the cost is subsidised by the government health system. It would be a waste of Tax dollars, or private dollars, to let doctors one day use google as their diagnosis tool.

And plus, I mean, what if you just wanted to take a few sickies from work, to make like an ultra long weekend? if technology develops so much so we don't get diagnosed by doctors but by machines, you can kiss those sick days goodbye, and get back to work! what hell!

The only people who pay the full amount for visit to be diagnosed are those rich enough not to need health insurance or those too poor to have any. Those in the middle who are fortunate enough to have a job that provides health insurance only have to pay a visitation fee which differs depending on the HMO that individual is using.

I like technology and gadgets like any full-blooded male, but I think too much reliance on technology--- even proven ones --- doesn't advance us as a race but leads to a form of stagnation. I mean if doctors do end up using this Google Tool (and they are such an evil and insidious company) to aid them in their diagnosis, whose to say they won't get over-reliant on this search engine instead of actually honing their craft through hands-on practice.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The biggest problem I see with this is that people will look up their own symptoms and diagnose themselves before going to see a doctor when they hear that google is actually somewhat accurate. If they have symptoms A & B, but not C, then they could think "I should have C too " and cause themselves to eventually believe that they do. Power of the mind and all. That could lead to them reporting false information to the doctor, leading to the wrong diagnosis.

If doctors want to double check with google (within appropriate margins of error), I wouldn't really care, but first and foremost, it should be the doctor's call. If one tells me, "Just a sec, I want to consult Dr. Google" then I'm heading right out the door of that place.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm almost a hypocondriac. so googling symptoms is a bad idea for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: