Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Democrat or Republican? Who do you think will win?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hehe 1 seat away from controlling senate. Hmm is Rumfeld resignation a sign of things to come for Mr Bush?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why step down now, it's too late to impact votes. All it will do is damage Bush's and the Republican's position surely?

Vector Xthonic wrote:
Wes wrote:
I always see the republican outlining definite plans and the democrats grabbing up options between each election, I suppose thats why Republicans are popular.

I would hotly contest that opinion, but that's an entirely different discussion, not fit for this thread.

I suppose thats down to my lack of knowledge as an outsider looking into the USA, but please forgive me because at first impressions, that is what it looks like.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rumsfeld's resignation isn't some shock or blow made by the Democrats' surge this election. Bush is firing him in an attempt to show Americans that he's serious about implementing new ideas and strategies in Iraq.
little fish

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dont understand politics at all can some one explane it in simple words please

is this ok Wes?

P.S. thanks Sophita
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Explain what, exactly? All of politics? The current situation in the US?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
Rumsfeld's resignation isn't some shock or blow made by the Democrats' surge this election. Bush is firing him in an attempt to show Americans that he's serious about implementing new ideas and strategies in Iraq.

It's pretty much George W. Bush's attempt at hedging his bet. Reason he didn't fire or ask for his resignation before the election was just on the off-chance the Republican held on to both houses of the Congress. If he had removed Rumsfeld before then it would signalled to everyone that the situation in Iraq has truly been mismanaged and the President agrees. Not a good way to keep the Republican base happy before election time.

Bush accepting the resignation now just makes him look less stubborn though it does reinforce the impression that he's not fully in touch with the nation if it took him this long to understand that Rumsfeld was a problem and liability. I just hope Paul Wolfowitz follows his boss and thus purging the Pentagon's civilian leadership of the neocons that was brought in when Rumsfeld was appointed SecDef.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not saying the timing is just a coincidence, but that it's not something unexpected or unwanted by Bush. Democrats were running with that whole "it's time for change" thing, and here's the president, saying he agrees fully and firing the man in charge.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Bush didn't fire him, he resigned.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first sentence is analysis (which is why I stated it as a resignation). The second sentence is my own personal opinion, which should've been made apparent by the fact that Bush did not announce that he in fact fired Rumsfeld in a move to assure voters that he is flexible (which is what that sentence was about).
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Bush didn't fire him, he resigned.

They don't fire many people in politics (at least not visible people). They "expect their resignations in the morning." Firing has a negative connotation, so they avoid it unless there is a specific reason that using that wording would be beneficial to the party. In this case, it isn't, so he "resigned."

I'd wager it was, in reality, anything but voluntary. When the democrats took so much power, Bush needed something to help him not lose total control. Rumsfeld was the goat, since the democrats don't like him.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The new news is that Webb has been declared the winner by the AP and NBC. Expect this to get cleared up within the next twenty-four hours.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thor McOdin wrote:
The new news is that Webb has been declared the winner by the AP and NBC. Expect this to get cleared up within the next twenty-four hours.

I'd add a week to that prediction. I can't see George Allen conceding the contest to James Webb without having a recount or two made of the final tally of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes to the courts to decide who is the actual winner, though that probably would be a last resort. George Allen was seen by some Republican strategists as a potential Presidential candidate in 2008.

He's definitely in a lose-lose situation with this election. If he concedes the election to Webb with such a small margin of votes then he'll be seen as caving in without fighting for the Senate seat. If he contests the final tally of votes several times because they don't go his way then he will be seen as a sore loser. Either way, the Republicans probably just lost themselves a good candidate for President in 2008 in George Allen.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I can't see George Allen conceding the contest to James Webb without having a recount or two made of the final tally of votes.

He would not have much of a chance either way. The margin is by several thousand votes, and Virginia historically hasn't changed their votes in a recount by more than a few hundred. He CAN call for a recount... but it would just cost him even more, he should just sit back quietly and admit that he's lost.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I take it you saw that interview with Paula Zahn, too.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're mistaken. My source was Yahoo.

Quote:

They don't fire many people in politics (at least not visible people). They "expect their resignations in the morning." Firing has a negative connotation, so they avoid it unless there is a specific reason that using that wording would be beneficial to the party. In this case, it isn't, so he "resigned."

Ah, I see.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: