Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

opinions on makeup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends on the person among other things. Sometimes a person can look better with make up, or maybe without, based on how their hair is, what they're wearing, etc, etc. It's hard to say "make up is good!" or "make up is bad!" if you ask me. Personally, I don't care either way. If a girl chooses to wear make up, that's fine by me... I hope she has taste though, and uses it brings out a "positive" look (more attractive) as opposed to a "negative" one (less attractive). For girls that can look great without it, more power to 'em. The real beauty is the kind that doesn't really need much (if anything) to bring it out, but that kind of beauty is obviously the most rarest. And of course, what's beautiful to one may be hidious (sp?) to another.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kagematsuri

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really bother with make up. I stick with good old Chapstick and sometimes eye liner (if I feel like it). I don't really understand why some other girls go to town and cake it all on their faces, but hey, whatever floats your boat. My main reason for not wearing much/any is because I simply don't care. People don't run screaming at the sight of me, so that's good enough.

If guys want to wear make up, then again, whatever floats your boat. I remember when I was in school some of the punk guys would wear eye liner. Looked pretty darn hot.

And animal testing gets a thumbs down from me. Even if it is just lab rats.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally think that make-up could work both ways for guys and girls. It could make them look billions times better, but it could also backfire and make them look really ugly. It's all a matter of what and how they use make-up, whether the make-up actually complement their look or making it worse and look out of place.

Personally speaking on my female-friends' cases, I prefer them to wear no make up, or at most very minimal make-up. Most of the times, they don't look much better when with make-up making me questioning whether, after all those effort they put, the result actually satisfy them or not. Of course I can't say it out loud that I don't like how they look (not that I like to lie, but I tend to get punched or kicked for saying what I really have in mind).

When it comes to celebrities though, it's a bit unfair IMO to use them as comparisons because they always wear make-up whenever we see them on TV or movies or wherever. We practically never sees them without make up (maybe on tabloids that says "Fat Britney without make up" as headline" or something) to really know how they look like without make up. It's either "pretty with make up" or "ugly without make up" because we don't hang out with them. But I think they still look good even without make up, maybe not as good as with make up, but not butt ugly either.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:
Most of the times, they don't look much better when with make-up making me questioning whether, after all those effort they put, the result actually satisfy them or not. Of course I can't say it out loud that I don't like how they look (not that I like to lie, but I tend to get punched or kicked for saying what I really have in mind).

Lol.

Concerning makeup....i actually have no opinion about makeup. Since usually girls use it, i don't bother thinking about it. I know of course that boys have their own, like hair-dye, but i've never dyed my hair. Maybe i should give it a try sometime...

But i don't have an actualy opinion on makeup. Some girls look good wearing some, some don't and still look very attractive. i should probably think a bit more on this. Maybe i've been focusing more on the body than with face...( :P to all those who thinks that i'm a perv!)

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Connor MacLeod

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:

I don't know what kind of boys you're talking about, love thy conrad, but it seems like you're talking about high school boys, who are known for being shallow jerks.

I won't call them all shallow because they're some of the best friends I have; I think they just don't know the difference between what's natural and what's not, and it's hypocritical to judge another girl's makeup if you don't.

And yes...body glitter does deserve to die. I had to make a friend chose between body glitter and me and well...at least body glitter's out of my life.

I'm not sure what my deal with makeup is. Someone just pointed out to me that while I can't stand lipstick, I wear spiked heels almost everyday. But you already know that I'm weird like that.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't support anything whatsoever which has been tested on animals. It's wrong and plain evil too.

As for makeup, I don't really notice if girls are wearing a lot or not, unless it's really obviously caked on, which is gross. If I had a real preference though, it would be no makeup.

Crap like plastic surgery, breast implants and makeup (to a lesser degree), IMO is like lying to people. If one is looking for a suitable mate (and this may sound harsh) people might generally look for "breeding quality", meaning looks and such. Changing your looks won't change your genes, so a couple may end up with an ugly baby if one of the partners had been "enhanced" by plastic surgery, makeup, implants, etc.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Marshmallow wrote:
I don't support anything whatsoever which has been tested on animals. It's wrong and plain evil too.

As for makeup, I don't really notice if girls are wearing a lot or not, unless it's really obviously caked on, which is gross. If I had a real preference though, it would be no makeup.

Crap like plastic surgery, breast implants and makeup (to a lesser degree), IMO is like lying to people. If one is looking for a suitable mate (and this may sound harsh) people might generally look for "breeding quality", meaning looks and such. Changing your looks won't change your genes, so a couple may end up with an ugly baby if one of the partners had been "enhanced" by plastic surgery, makeup, implants, etc.

Haha! That's so funny when you think about it. (the last part)

I personally am too lazy to put on makeup. Because, when you think about it if you put it on, you have to take it off. It's a a lot harder to take it off than just washing your face. I don't have cleanser and crap. I do wear mascara once in a blue moon but it's such a pain in the ass to take off.

But I'm not bashing makeup! I think it's great on special occasions! You'd be surprised how much you really need though. At my friends semi which was the last special occasion I went to I only wore fake lashes. I thought it was ok! There's a pic in the photo thread. So it really depends on yourself.

Then again if you wear so much all the time, no one's gonna notice the difference when a special occasion comes around. Oh! And also another thing, I know a lot of people that when they don't wear any makeup...they look really sick. That's bad! So it's all up to you!
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As has been mentioned in this thread, a lot of plastic surgery is done to make yourself feel better. It's the same with makeup, body mods, tatoos, wearing nice clothes...

All of these things are about "making yourself look better" (or different), but in the end, it really just is about "making yourself feel better". Part of the perception might be "I look better to others and therefore feel better about myself", but a lot of it is simply, "I feel better about myself, so now I can look better to others".

It's a cycle, and there's a couple ways to break out of it. You can stop caring about what other people think about your appearance, and just go as you are, or you can do something to actively change your appearance. One way of change is makeup, or surgery, or exercising a lot, or dressing up nice - all perfectly valid techniques.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF6Sage wrote:
Off-topic nitpicky comment: I was under the impression that that phrase never appeared in any of Darwin's works.

That was one of the main concepts of his theory. Humans evolved from apes and only those strong enough survived where as the weaker species died out. If it has anything to do with evolution, it is more than likely linked to Darwin.

Arcana wrote:
you do have to remember that part of the attractiveness of celebrities is their inaccessibility - there's no guilt in expressing a love of her "beauty", in all of its airbrushed and photo-edited glory.

This is a VERY good point. Celebrities are somewhat of a forbidden fruit, as in not everyone can go out with a celebrity. You yourself must have some sort of standing in society to be associated with a celebrity so there is more to them than beauty. It is a human inbuilt instinct to want that which we cannot attain.

Another point is that they photos they appear on are VERY airbrushed with loads of computer editing.

Arcana wrote:
Guys don't have as high standards as often believed, in my experience.

Guys on the whole, no......pretty boys, almost always!

Syb wrote:
i don't wear makeup to impress anyone; i don't have to-you like what you see or you don't, makeup won't change that opinion.

I do feel you are underestimating the shallow guys here. Make up can do a LOT for some women. It can make turn them from your average looking girl next door to a complete stunner, a true beauty by any standard.

Syb wrote:
i've found that plenty of guys go for the 'masked' girls over the natural look; it's all dependant on the individual's tastes.

Once again, it depends on what the guys really want. If it is a relationship or marriage then the natural look would be more important.

Sir Rocky wrote:
And of course, what's beautiful to one may be hidious (sp?) to another.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Sir Rocky. It CAN be the case but when something or someone is BEAUTIFUL, they are generally just as amazing to everyone else. I doubt anyone can say that Audrey Hepburn for example wasn't beautiful. There are personal preferences when it comes to taste but test have been done that prove that beauty is something we can all recognize. Same tests have been done in many different countries and both male and female faces of many different races (didn't intend to rhyme here) were shown to test subjects. The test subjects (every day people) picked out which they found attractive and which they didn't. I believe there was a scale from one to ten. The surprising thing was that no matter what the race or gender, the results were pretty much the same world wide, which proves that humanity on the whole can recognize beauty.

Conrad wrote:
I won't call them all shallow because they're some of the best friends I have; I think they just don't know the difference between what's natural and what's not, and it's hypocritical to judge another girl's makeup if you don't.

The only explanation I have for this is that guys can be complete idiots sometimes. I would know haha. :mrgreen:

Marshmallow wrote:

It is harsh but its true. The thing with plastic surgery, liposuction and breast implants....they are all good if the person themselves really wants to go ahead with it. I myself would never go under the knife but I know other people that are so shy because of their appearance that surgery is a blessing to them. Make up on the other hand is very visible and generally if someone is looking for a partner they would notice. Many people just improve their physical look to have fun nights out and get with a couple of chicks/guys in the process. Nothing wrong with that now. As for the breast implants.....I doubt it would matter as what father would want a daughter with big boobs anyways. Heck if I ever have a daughter....she is becoming a nun. :lol:
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reconstructive plastic surgery is fine by me. Doing it for your looks or self esteem (ie vanity) is a different story. I tend to think either one of two things: I wish I had that kind of money (not for surgery of course) or it must be nice having that as the biggest worry in your life.

Random quote I just remembered hearing somewhere: Women spend so much time and effort on looking good and then call you a pig for noticing.

Edit: Darwinian thing--I am familiar with evolutionary theory. It was just a sorta trivia thing that even though his theory is summarized as "survival of the fittest" he never actually coined the phrase.

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there are some who've found that after all the pain and expense of plastic surgery, that it didn't change a thing-their self esteem didn't take the rise they expected to. rather than the change without, you have to start the change within; yes, there are parts that we aren't happy with, but there have to be some that are-rather than focus on what's bad, focus on what's good within/without yourself for that esteem boost.

the most attractive person outside can't begin to compare with the person who's beautiful on the inside...

makeup is meant for enhancement, but some seem to forget that...it's not a mask to hide every imperfection *whether real or imagined* but meant to make what's good more noticable, while making what's not so good less noticeable. whether it's pretty eyes, beautiful lips or striking cheekbones, everyone has something about themselves to love, and it's not just limited to one's facial features.

i agree with reconstructive surgery; it's a way for the individual to start on the road to recovery and regain some of what they have lost on a certain level, but for vanity...*pish* if you're that worried about aging/not being perfect, then you need a check up from the neck up... :x

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is an interesting topic. I personally don't get the point of makeup. I don't notice when a girl is wearing makeup the majority of the time. And when I do notice it, it is because they are wearing way too much. Of course I'm sort of a social outcast, so it is possible that my opinion is completely different from the norm.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't call girls who wear make up shallow either. In fact, I think it's cute when my best girlfriends (you know what I mean) spiffy themselves up on a random basis. I think it's thoughtful of them to want to dress up and look nice here and there. Honestly though, Most of the time, I like quiet and shy girls, and there's no type of make-up for that. :D

But my take on make-up is simple. It makes you ladies stand out. Whether it looks good or not depends on every person. But everyone will notice. I think it's great when people I know, wear it because it really does make you all look prettier. Less is more for me though, I'd like to have your natural looks do half of the talking. And all guys know that you can't look "amazingly gorgeous" every single day, so don't feel too bad about not making it a habit or missing a day, alright ladies?

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure Ced, I'll try to cut back on my mascara.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Less is more for me though

Yes, but if less is more, then think how much more more would be.

Anyway, apart from that attempt at humour above, I prefer less make up than more. Alot of lads magazines like FHM and Maxim have very airbrushed celebrities. You see them on the glossy front covers looking "slim, prim and perfect" but the pictures you see in the papers when they're out partying and flesh hangs out - they look more honest and a little less desireable.

Most of the girls on the Island where a lot of make up and to me, it's just not attractive. When girls put on make up and it makes them go from great to WOW, it's usually just hints here and there, not a mask of make up over everything. In fact, some girls go to extremes, my girlfriend's cousin wears so much that even when she washes it off (to put more on - go figure!) there's still old crusty bits around her eyes. The desired effect then is greatly missed and it looks very bad.

Saying that, I cannot convince Jenna to not wear make up - not that it really bothers me either way as long as she's not plastered in it - my bank cards of mostly used for buying her new make up online or in shops lol!

I have to agree with sybillious with this

Quote:
makeup is meant for enhancement, but some seem to forget that...it's not a mask to hide every imperfection

Jenna (and if she reads this, I'm probably, no definately dead) has a small blemish that's hardly noticeable about a cenitmetre under her left eye, and she's very paranoid about it and is always trying to cover it up, but to me, it's a cute part of her complextion.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: