Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

opinions on makeup
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor MacLeod

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: opinions on makeup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know this is kind of irrelevent, but I must have this conversation everyday. The boys in my school snerk and roll their eyes at the girls wearing a ton of make-up (even the ones who just wear a little). These same boys, however, also have posters of Pamela Anderson in their lockers, who is inarguably natural with her bleach-blond hair and permatan.

Anyway. What I want to know is everyone's take on it, how girls feel about makeup and guys' reactions, and guys, how you...react. Please don't answer, "omg eww makeup sux i like it when grls look natural like jessica simpson". Keep in mind all the rich and beautiful people wear enough money's worth in makeup yearly to support an emerging nation.

My own feeling on it is that I'm not too crazy about the stuff save for kohl and lip balms. Lipstick makes my lips feel like they're dying and for some reason, I find that uncomfortable.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Love Thine Conrad said:

Quote:
I know this is kind of irrelevent, but I must have this conversation everyday. The boys in my school snerk and roll their eyes at the girls wearing a ton of make-up (even the ones who just wear a little). These same boys, however, also have posters of Pamela Anderson in their lockers, who is inarguably natural with her bleach-blond hair and permatan.

I am in 100% agreement with you there. While I do believe that there exists girls who look great without it, I generally think that the vast majority of girls need it in varying degrees, and of course there's nothing wrong with that.

And...

Quote:
My own feeling on it is that I'm not too crazy about the stuff save for kohl and lip balms. Lipstick makes my lips feel like they're dying and for some reason, I find that uncomfortable.

Like I said, on girls whatever works for them, and any guys who say they dislike it are hypocrites. I use lip balm too, this nice Hemp stuff my sis got me for my B-day from the Body Shop, and it's the best stuff I've ever used. I put it on in the morning and at night, and it keeps my lips moist all day.

And one time I had a scar on my forehead that I needed to cover with makeup for a school picture.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm honestly not a big fan of makeup; I find it more a turn-off than anything else. This being said, I have to be honest, sometimes it's done so well that it's nearly invisible.. In those cases I'm amazed :)
I would much rather no makeup than tons of makeup, and I think I like it even more when it's used just right, only the right touch of it to enhance perfection.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well by human nature girls are meant to be the beautiful gender since ever since the caveman, men have provided the food and protection which was what they are judged by (and are still judged by today for the most part, but this is a whole new thread) where as women had to have to be more beautiful than the other women to get chosen by the most capable guys. This is a pure example of Darwin's survival of the fittest theory. The strong (in this case beautiful) get to reproduce and pass on their genes where as the weak (or the less beautiful and I'm not just saying ugly necessarily) don't find a partner and soon die out. Over time this has become an instinct and beauty is something every person feels is pleasant to look at. An example for guys would be some of the hottest actresses or singers whilst the girls like the cute and handsome actors, singers and supermodels. There are certain people that some claim to be beautiful and others not (such as Jesica Simpson, whom I find disgusting) but thats something that is based on personal experience with people.

With all of that out of the way, make up as you say is a way for the women to beautify themselves and increase their chances of genetic survival so to speak. The fact is that just about every guy (presuming they are not gay and even some gay guys) finds women with make up attractive, of course with the proper amount and position of the make up. Lipstick on the cheek might not look too attractive but full, red, moist, lips do definitely look appealing. Of course in the modern times the Darwinian theory has more or less gone down the drain because of this (well as far as humans are concerned, it can still be applied to animals) since even the average looking females can now look beautiful thanks to make up. Guys are WELL aware of this fact and know that a woman with make up can look totally different without it.

In short, guys that only want to sleep with a girl generally don't care if she has make up on or not, but guys that want a girlfriend or a wife, as in a long term relationship, generally want someone who is naturally beautiful however personality can and usually does also enter the equation in which case beauty seems to matter less and less.

As for the question of HOW much make up to wear, I myself find it is best in moderation. Enough to enhance the look a bit, yet not too much as to cover the natural look completely. It really depends on two things....the first would be your natural look and skin color and the second is your personal preference. If you say lipstick feels uncomfortable to wear then don't do it, unless of course you are really trying to impress a guy who likes lipstick, but thats your choice really. :P

LTC wrote:
Keep in mind all the rich and beautiful people wear enough money's worth in makeup yearly to support an emerging nation.

I would not say ALL as that is generalization however I'm well aware that MOST women do like at least a bit of make up on and rich women have the money to afford the expensive stuff even though sometimes you get the same effect with something cheaper and its still hard to surpass a NATURAL beauty in terms of looks no matter how much make up you have on.

THI wrote:
I use lip balm too, this nice Hemp stuff my sis got me for my B-day from the Body Shop, and it's the best stuff I've ever used. I put it on in the morning and at night, and it keeps my lips moist all day.

:shock: *backs away slowly*
Connor MacLeod

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mean the price of the makeup necessarily, I mean the amount used and the application. Even stars famed for their "natural" look, like Mischa Barton, won't go to any press conference without having their studio pay for hair and makeup, so generally when you see a star, they've had professional hands working their face.

How do I know they use a lot of makeup? Last year for a school play they hired really famous-in-the-region professionals to do hair and makeup. They put this gross beige stuff on your skin to hide pores, mascara that looks a lot like a block of slate, and about four layers of lipstick. When you look in the mirror, it doesn't look like a lot, but it feels really heavy. And I must admit I did look kind of hot in an over-painted clown sort of way. But did it make me feel any better about myself? No. I couldn't hug anyone in a white shirt all night without worrying they'd walk off with my face.

I wonder sometimes is guys even know what they want, or girls for that matter. My girlfriends (PLATONIC YOU PERVS) claim to wear it to look better to men, but as you said, guys'll get with you regardless of how you look generally speaking. I think girls wear makeup to impress other girls.

I don't try to change my outer appearence to attract men. I prefer to win them over with my personality.

Psyche! SHALLOWPPL4EVER!!
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LTC wrote:
I don't mean the price of the makeup necessarily, I mean the amount used and the application. Even stars famed for their "natural" look, like Mischa Barton, won't go to any press conference without having their studio pay for hair and makeup, so generally when you see a star, they've had professional hands working their face.

Well you should have stated CELEBRITIES not "all the rich and beautiful people" as celebrities are all about the look no matter how uncomfortable. It is their job and what they do, the special make up and all. Another thing you mention is that the hair style......that does not count as make-up.....at least not as far as I'm concerned. Its already your natural hair, you just style it by lifting it up or tying it in a pony tail. You put mascara or lipstick on your hair now do ya!? :P

LTC wrote:
I wonder sometimes is guys even know what they want, or girls for that matter. My girlfriends (PLATONIC YOU PERVS) claim to wear it to look better to men, but as you said, guys will get with you regardless of how you look generally speaking. I think girls wear makeup to impress other girls.

Well to answer your question....the answer in 99% of the cases is no! Most people do NOT know what the heck they want not just in a girlfriend/boyfriend but out of life in general. Most of us just wonder through life and take hits as they come dealing with them in the appropriate manner. I'm certain girls DO wear make up and fancy dresses to impress the other girls to SOME extent but the part about guys getting with girls regardless of their appearance is arguable and I don't believe I said that myself......unless you were referring to one of the other posts.

I mean if I saw a girl in rags, looking like a zombie I most likely wouldn't go there and each guy has a certain standard as does each girl. Some are very picky and others would go for just about anything but its all on a case by case basis. The pickier people usually want a natural beauty that also looks good with make-up on.

LTC wrote:
I don't try to change my outer appearance to attract men. I prefer to win them over with my personality.

This is a GREAT quality to have and I do consider this as a major factor when I look for a girl however I am pretty damn shallow too so I tend to also go for the better looking girls. I usually look for a combination of good personality and good looks and am almost always put off by a lack of either, but thats just me. I believe myself though that everyone should really work on both as I myself do take care of my looks and body and personality. The whole package is always better than just a thing but sometimes you can meet an average looking girl with a personality that just shines through......though that is very rare indeed.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bishop Black Fang Wrote:
Quote:
THI wrote:
I use lip balm too, this nice Hemp stuff my sis got me for my B-day from the Body Shop, and it's the best stuff I've ever used. I put it on in the morning and at night, and it keeps my lips moist all day.

*backs away slowly* :shock:

Oh come on playah, you know what I'm talking about 8) . I'm not sure about the air in New Zealand but around here in Canada the air gets really dry in the winter (usually around mid November- late March). If I don't have any my lips will chap up once a month for about a week or so, and that's no good. It's clearly a game-hindering issue, but I know you understand this.

So in summation, cosmetics do more good then bad. Yes, Animal testing is wrong (My stuff isn't tested on animals), but an animal is not a person. They have some levels of social awarness amongst eachother, but with no where near the amount of stress and complexity we have. Don't forget that how someone looks can decide their fate in things like job interviews and you realize how important the notion of attractiveness becomes.
Connor MacLeod

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should've clarified. I meant celebrities.

As for hair, well, as most girls know, if you have curly hair it has trouble being smooth; only the pros can give you covergirl hair. Same for if you have flat hair. I would consider hair styling a form of cosmotology, as you take your nature hair pattern and alter it.

I know girls who spend like, an hour straightening their hair every morning. No joke.

Another good point brought up is animal testing. Any takes on that?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Fang wrote:
This is a pure example of Darwin's survival of the fittest theory.

Off-topic nitpicky comment: I was under the impression that that phrase never appeared in any of Darwin's works.

As far as I'm concerned, it's none of my business how much make-up someone wears. It's not likely to affect me in any way. That being said, if I found a girl that would hang out with me and tolerate my friends (which is harder than tolerating me, trust me) then she can wear how ever much make-up she wants. I don't mean that to sound like I'm desperate or lonely or anything, and I'm not saying she'd necessarily be my girlfriend either. It's just that I don't have a lot of standards for friends or significant others. Hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right either. You know what I mean, I hope. That being said, with regards to hair, having hair is nice. Color, style, and so on makes no difference to me.

Test on animals? Once again, doesn't bother me. They're animals, not people. If we (a lot of people anyway) eat some, go ahaed and test on the other ones.

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ice Ice Baby wrote:
It's clearly a game-hindering issue, but I know you understand this.

HAHAHAHA yea I get what you mean. I chose to stop at nice clothing, cologne and possibly some hair products like simple gel. Don't really need much more than that.

Confused lil Icy wrote:
So in summation, cosmetics do more good then bad.

Well at the moment yes. Until they start putting funky stuff in the cosmetics. :shock: Anyways, cosmetics are good just like anything else IN MODERATION!

Conrad wrote:
I know girls who spend like, an hour straightening their hair every morning. No joke.

I have no doubt. I've heard some take even longer, but just because it takes ages it doesn't mean its make up. :P

The good ol'dictionary wrote:
make-up n : cosmetics applied to the face to improve or change your appearance

As far as animal testing is concerned it'll be wrong as long as we don't invent a device that lets us UNDERSTAND animals and we get their approval. Animal testing is like testing products on humans without their knowledge. Thats kind of like forcing humans to try out new products by tying them down and forcing it onto them. Thats is and always will be morally wrong.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Animal testing is a travesty--it is often unnecessary, misleading, and overly cruel. Some cosmetics may have different effects on certain animals as opposed to humans, so such experimentation is scientifically on shaky grounds. Besides, it's mostly the cheap stuff that is animal tested (made by P&G and their hundreds of subsidiaries).

I think makeup is good--it's not only women who use it, too.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Makeup is okay...but only in moderation. Girls with too much look like...well, you know.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
I think makeup is good--it's not only women who use it, too.

PIX PLZ.

:)

I don't know what kind of boys you're talking about, love thy conrad, but it seems like you're talking about high school boys, who are known for being shallow jerks.

Mostly, though, boys LOVE natural beauty, or any kind of application of makeup that looks natural. As for pictures of Pamela Anderson (HER?? she's ancient! Isn't it all about that... Lindsay Lohan girl now?), you do have to remember that part of the attractiveness of celebrities is their inaccessibility - there's no guilt in expressing a love of her "beauty", in all of its airbrushed and photo-edited glory.

I'm sure that these boys in your school have a hit list of girls in their class they'd love to get 8x10s of to post in their lockers. Obviously, the first to do so would be: (a) called a loser by his friends (b) get called a losre by the girls and (c) be called for being a stalker or something.

Guys don't have as high standards as often believed, in my experience.

As for makeup? I don't mind it. It can often make someone look just good enough to tip them over the scale from being a casual person to "Wow, she's always dressed up", which can be a good thing. Apparently, one of my sister's friends, whom I don't know, always wears makeup. When my sister asked, "So why do you wear makeup to the library?" she replied, "I don't know, maybe today I'll meet that special someone!"
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It depends on the make-up really. I'm not a fan of eye-liner and such. If applied well make-up looks good, but I feel a lot of quick or overdone make-up jobs would look better without. As said before- it's good in moderation.

Except body glitter. Body glitter is a direct link to destruction and pain. I've yet to see an attractive use of it.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't wear makeup to impress anyone; i don't have to-you like what you see or you don't, makeup won't change that opinion.

i've found that plenty of guys go for the 'masked' girls over the natural look; it's all dependant on the individual's tastes.

animal testing is a horror; imagine someone putting a random substance in your eyes just to see the reaction...it's as bad as vivisection *where an animal is subjected to dissection while live.*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.

Last edited by sybillious on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: