Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NBA Season 2006/2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And all Game 1s have been played as of today.

Miami-Chicago's Game 1 yesterday was awesome. I caught it on television midway through the 2nd, and watched it til' the end. The calls were simply not in the Heat's favor that night, though. O'Neal's blocking foul on Nocioni in the 4th really looked like an charge, but when they showed the replay, Shaq had about half of his left foot on that line, so I guess that was legit. ALOT of charges called in this game, though.

If there was anyone who killed the Heat, it's Luol Deng. It's either he shoots a midrange shot, or drives to the basket, and gets it done. Combine that with a very high FG %, and you get someone who can score anytime. Ben Gordon picked up the slack for Hinrich's foul trouble, dishing out 11 assists.

But still, Chicago won, and they need to do it three more times to meet Detroit. Bummer.

Phoenix won Game 1 as well, thanks to Barbosa's stellar 2nd-half performance, and Kobe's horrible 1-for-10 shooting in the 4th Quarter. Phoenix played a solid 4th Quarter, holding down the Lakers to just 10 points.

Detroit, Houston and Cleveland all win their Game 1s, as expected.

The Nets win one over the Raptors. Apparently, the Raptors fans decided to handout red shirts to each other for wear, without the knowledge that the Nets would be playing in Red. You should see it, it was very funny to look at. :P

San Antonio lost to Denver earlier today, with Iverson and Melo combining for 61. If the Spurs can't shut the two down, they're putting themselves in danger of losing the series (which I hope would happen, anyway.)

And Golden State continues mastery over Dallas. A near triple-double by Baron Davis. And Don Nelson gets the better of his former team again. If the Warriors win Game 2, then they will stand a very good chance of beating the Mavs in the first round.

Game 2s begin tomorrow, with the Houston-Utah and Detroit-Orlando series. Pistons will win that, no doubt about it. Utah-Houston is more evenly matched, but if T-Mac can get a decent scoring blitz off, Houston can go up 2-0.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

only game i really watched was the spurs/nuggets game. was a good game and will be a good series. let's hope the nuggets can beat the spurs.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it looks like for those who predicted the Mavs over the Warriors in 4 will have to re-think their prediction for the Dallas-Golden State match-up. Maybe in 5 or 6 or even in the full 7 for the series.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well, it looks like for those who predicted the Mavs over the Warriors in 4 will have to re-think their prediction for the Dallas-Golden State match-up. Maybe in 5 or 6 or even in the full 7 for the series.

Hah, I agree. I called 6 and just about all my friends and family called me crazy. After the game was over I performed my "Happy Dance". They seriously like to think that they know more about sports than me.

As I mentioned earlier, just about every single series this year is just about evenly matched. Even Orlando and (to lesser extent) Washington made it tough for the Pistons and Cavs late in the game. Finally, I can watch all the series without being bored. It's never been like this ever.

Serves Dallas right in my opinion. I have no idea why Avery Johnson rested his lineup on the Warriors game rather than their last game. They wanted the Warriors and so they got them. It was a really great game. That team is fun to watch when it's clicking. Whatever happens, I hope this series goes to 7. I want the Warriors in the Playoffs for as long as possible.

I wish everything turned out well as I hoped, but my Lakers blew a chance to go up on the Suns. Leandro Barbossa absolutely killed us. Stoudamire and Nash got their numbers, but they didn't mean anything until Leandro blew through our guards. At one time, the boy scored 13 straight points. You can't win against that.

What's more upsetting is that the Lakers played their game plan and actually held Phoenix to mediocre offensive categories. They couldn't hit their shots today. And unfortunately, this will not happen again. The Suns will shoot a higher percentage, and the Lakers will have to play even better than today to stand a chance this series. It doesn't look good.

There were bright spots though. Lamar Odom's turning up the heat in the playoffs just like last year. And Jordan Farmar actually did a good job in the game. Last year, Luc Walton emerged as a good player in the Playoffs. Here's hoping Farmar is the next one.

The Spurs look sluggish to me. I had them winning in seven games, but I'm thinking of switching that to Nuggets in 7. As good as Tim Duncan is, they don't let him defend at all. The Spurs are too scared to get him in foul trouble. The Parker/Iverson matchup is a wash, but Carmelo makes the difference here. Bruce Bowen can't defend Carmelo, and even if he did get the assignment, it won't work when Iverson can equally be that scoring presence.

Then add the rebounding presence of the Nuggets, and you have a recipe for trouble. If the Spurs want to win this series, they better grind it out and stall. They're not going to win if Parker and Ginobilli take quick shots.

New teams are fun to watch in the playoffs. I'm hoping for upsets around the league.

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Toronto, San Antonio and Dallas all tie their series with wins over New Jersey, Denver and Golden State, respectively. The Warriors had a rough night, bwith both Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis leaving the floor.

Barbosa also continues to torch the Lakers with a near 30-point margin. The series shifts to Staples, where I think the Lakers can snatch at least one victory from the Suns.

Houston, Detroit and Cleveland also go 2-0 up on their homecourts.

Aaand, Miami is down 2-0. I couldn't be happier with the result of Game 2, it just seems that Miami can't stop Luol Deng and Ben Gordon. Y'know, Chicago won't win this in six, or seven. They'll win it in 5. This Miami team isn't the same team that won a title. Sure, Miami has been down 2-0 before, but if someone doesn't step up and take the cudgels from Wade's injury, they'll get run over by Chicago.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

stephen jackson was dumb, from what barkley and them said he's most likely gonna get a fine since it took him to long to get off the court.

Quote:
The series shifts to Staples, where I think the Lakers can snatch at least one victory from the Suns.

i really think they can make the series go to game 7 like last year.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Buff. The Warriors shot themselves in the foot. Taking game 1 was huge. It really gave Dallas something to think about. People really questioned them after Game 1 because after going 0-4 against the Warriors in the regular season and opening up the playoffs with a big loss, people were wondering if Golden State was Dallas's kryptonite. But then Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis had to go and get ejected. Granted when Baron Davis was ejected at the end of the third, they were down. However having davis on the floor for the fourth quarter could have maybe been the needed component to make some form of a comeback.

Now the series shifts to Oakland. Golden State is a good team at home, but I don't see them winning both of thse games. At the very most, they'll split back home and then they'll lose again in Dallas. Its not exactly over for the Warriors, but having you players lose their cool like that really gives Dallas the impression that they're flustered and they have them on the ropes.

While I think San Antonio will ultimately take the series, I'm really starting to think Denver has a chance at the upset. Carmelo and Allen Iverson only put up 46 points between the two of them. If they both put up 30 or so, like they are expected to, then San Antonio is in a world of hurt. I'll be honest, I never watched it, but I did watch the highlights and saw that they came from behind to cut the Spurs lead to 3. If they had Iverson or Anthony on the top of their game, the final score could have favored Denver. I stand by my pick of San Antonio taking this series, only because I think Manu Ginobli is one of the best clutch players and he lights it up in the playoffs.

Ced, I like you, but I'm not liking your love for the Lakers. How can you root for a team that is as one dimensional as the Lakers? Am I the only one who sees Phil Jackson as a one trick pony? He always finds the one player to lead the team and bank on him. He did it with Jordan, then Shaq. Now its Kobe. He said after last night's loss to expect to see Kobe on the floor more than he has been for the first two games. Thats basically saying "My team sucks, I have one good player, let him shoot it all night long and hope for the best." Thats what he did with Jordan and Shaq. It worked then because Jordan was well, Jordan. Also, Jordan did have a little help behind him with Pippen, Rodman and Kerr. The Shaq years relied more on the fact the West sucked so badly that their dominance was handfed to them for having the only decent team. Now that Jackson is seen as some great all-time coach, he can't coach his team, whcih if you look, has real talent. Aside from Kobe, he has Luke Walton and Lamar Odom. I don't get how Luke and Lamar perpetually put up low figures considering their talent level. Is it because they play "Pass it to Kobe?" No, because last night Kobe only got 15 points. I can only point at the coaching staff and say "What's up?" The Lakers are not a team thast will make it far in the Playoffs.

A tad off topic, but I'll bring this up. The reason I love playoff hockey so much more than Playoff Basketball is because Hockey is actually watchable and every game is intense. Look at the full bracket in Hockey. You can look at all the teams in the Western Conference and see them plausibly representing the conference in the Stanley Cup. Same for most of the teams in the East (Islanders excluded, I never saw them as a playoff team.) However when you look at basketball, you can easily point out hordes of teams that will fall off before the conference finals. We all know that even in Golden State makes it past Dallas miraculously, that they'll fall to whomever they face in the next round. You can look at most of these teams and say they have no shot in hell in making the finals. Unless, year after year, we see a Miami Heat of last year occur, Basketball will be more boring than hockey. I can tell you right now Los Angeles, Orlando, Utah, Golden State and Washington have no chance in making the finals. And its a safe bet teams like Miami, Denver and New Jersey are destined to fail too. Basketball is far too predictable. Hockey, not so much.

Maybe this is a personal thing, but even if my Sabres get upset and lose, I'll still be totally invested in hockey. Its intense and watchable. I can't say the same for Basketball. My team, the Knicks, aren't even in the playoffs and I only watch because I'm a sports feind. I find myself more drawn to watching the Red Wings than I am the Pistons. There's a big difference between dominance in hockey and dominance in basketball. A team like the Red Wings or the Sabres getting upset isn't all that unlikely, but seeing the Pistons or the Mavericks upset would be a huge "Whoa!" Perhaps its the atmosphere. Playoff Hockey really is a different game than Regular season hockey. Basketball is basketball. Playoffs or regular season, these teams don't play that much harder. The ones that do are the ones that make headlines, like last year's Miami Heat. I'm not saying NBA players don't play with heart, they just don't compare to the heart shown on the ice.

Teams in the NHL are I guess overall better than teams in the NBA. If we were to pick any 2 of the 8 remaining Hockey teams (one from each conference) and pit them against eachother for the chamionship, we know it'd be a great series. Even if its a "dominant" Buffalo Sabres and the lower ranked San Jose Sharks. The series would guarantee action and intensity. Or even the two bottom ranked teams in each conference, N.Y. Rangers and San Jose Sharks. Still intense. Basketball you can't so that. If Golden State were to meet Toronto in the NBA finals, it'd be viewed as a flop of a finals. Because no "big teams" are in the finals, people would stop watching. Maybe its the watered down talent in the NBA that is the cause, who knows. But I'm finding basketball harder and harder to watch. I still watch because I hope it regains the intensity it had back in the Jordan era. When people like Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Isaiah Thomas and Reggie Miller were around. That was watchable basketball. Now its all about the team's one star player. When you match up the Cavaliers versus anyone, it all of a sudden boils down to LeBron James vs. so and so. Its no longer a team sport. Back in the Jordan era, Players were still great and they used their other players. You didn't need a 1 star team to make it. Thats why I like Tim Duncan and Steve Nash. They play team basketball. They do their best, but have others who do their share. Its not the Kobe Show, or the King James Hour. Now that Iverson is in Denver, I'm glad to see its not all about A.I. anymore like it was for years in Philadelphia. Maybe basketball can return to that. I hope so, and its on that hope I continue to watch the NBA. Am I alone?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ced, I like you, but I'm not liking your love for the Lakers. How can you root for a team that is as one dimensional as the Lakers? Am I the only one who sees Phil Jackson as a one trick pony? He always finds the one player to lead the team and bank on him. He did it with Jordan, then Shaq. Now its Kobe. He said after last night's loss to expect to see Kobe on the floor more than he has been for the first two games. Thats basically saying "My team sucks, I have one good player, let him shoot it all night long and hope for the best." Thats what he did with Jordan and Shaq. It worked then because Jordan was well, Jordan. Also, Jordan did have a little help behind him with Pippen, Rodman and Kerr. The Shaq years relied more on the fact the West sucked so badly that their dominance was handfed to them for having the only decent team. Now that Jackson is seen as some great all-time coach, he can't coach his team, whcih if you look, has real talent. Aside from Kobe, he has Luke Walton and Lamar Odom. I don't get how Luke and Lamar perpetually put up low figures considering their talent level. Is it because they play "Pass it to Kobe?" No, because last night Kobe only got 15 points. I can only point at the coaching staff and say "What's up?" The Lakers are not a team thast will make it far in the Playoffs.

Well, for one thing, I root for the Lakers because they are my home team. I root for every single home team regardless of sports. Here’s the kicker though; as long as all the teams are committed to winning, then I’ll always cheer for them. This is why I’ve only been a fan of the Clippers and Ducks recently. And before they got a new owner, this was how I felt about the Angels too. This may not be a good reason for people here, but this is my reasoning and it’s good enough for me :D

As for you saying that Phil Jackson is a one trick pony, well I greatly disagree. You say that he focuses on the best player on the team and has him carry the team on his shoulders. Well, I have to be honest with you. That’s every team in the league right there. The only differences are if there are more people on the team that can carry the scoring load along with the said star player. Take Denver for example. Carmelo was the main option for the longest time. Jackson didn’t coach that team, but Carmelo led that team in the offensive categories. Everyone else just played off of him. But now, they have Iverson. Carmelo doesn’t have to do as much and now, plays can be run with Iverson too. Coach George Karl is merely working with what he had.

Jackson is the same. Back when he was with the Bulls, he had a really strong core of guys. So while Michael did his thing, he also set up plays to the other guys. It’s documented that when Michael was shooting too much in one series, Phil took Mike to the sideline. He asked him who was open. Mike responded by saying “John Paxson”. Phil then told him to quote, “Then pass him the fucking ball”. Rest assured that if Phil had a good group of people that knew the intricacies of the triangle offense, he’d make sure Kobe gets them the ball. I blame the injuries to the starting core, personally. It doesn’t help that they aren’t one of the most talented teams out there.

Phil Jackson makes adjustments and that is why he is considered to be a great coach. The Lakers weren’t supposed to even contend with the Suns this year and last year. Yet he came up with a plan to make it hard on the Suns. I say he’s to be commended. That’s more than I can say for Larry Brown. He coached your Knicks last year, and they had a similar talent level as the Lakers. They were also in the Eastern Conference which has a worse record than the west where the Lakers are. Yet the team struggled and Brown is now gone. The players are the ones on the floor and not the coaches. But if a coach is good, he will make sure that he can bring out the best in his players.

And finally, you mention Luke Walton and Lamar Odom and how their numbers aren’t that good despite their talent. Well they were on pace for career numbers this year. However, both got injured and are still hurting right now. That’s not on Kobe. I understand why that isn’t recognized though. Most of our games are on pretty late, and people on the east coast wouldn’t stay up late just to watch the Lakers play.

But yeah, they’re a few years away from real contention. Still, I find them fun to watch when they’re clicking on all cylinders.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

huzahh lakers won. lakers out scored the suns three out of the four quarters after being down 14 in the first. jazz beat the rockets and pistons go up three games to none against the magic.

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, the Lakers win.

This is one game wherein you can say that Kwame Brown was awesome. Now, he needs to tdo that for 82 games next year to shake off that "Hey, I'm a bust" label.

Detroit isn't really expected to be troubled. They'll be the first to qualify.

And Utah held down the Rockets to 67.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rockets just sucked bad that game. only four players scored while yao and t-mac combined for a little over 50 points. don't forget about lamar odom archy, he had a damn good game also.

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Odom was solid.

Imagine if the Lakers played like that for eighty-two games. They'd probably have a fifty-win season, and could've been Fifth seed. Too bad they kinda fell down the wayside.

Man, I couldn't believe what Sportscenter was showing the score of that Houston Utah game. I mean, T-mac and Yao scoring is fine, but when the rest of the team doesn't, you're losing. That's a pretty big confidence boost for Utah to hold them down to 67. So if you can't stop T-Mac and Yao, the answer is to stop everyone else. :P

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you gotta remember utah is very good at home. they are a good team and should be able to push the series to the limit.

hopefully lakers can keep their momentum up.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What the hell is wrong with the Dallas Mavericks. One would think that they'd at least put up some effort against Golden State in Game 3. It seems Charles Barkley will have to adjust his prediction that the Warriors will not win anymore games. The Warriors pretty much controlled and manraped the Mavericks through the entire 48 minutes. It wasn't like Dirk was having a bad game in the beginning. He was actually downing shots after shot in the first quarter, but no one else on the team seem to be able to buy one.

Game 4 on Sunday should still be as rocking from the Warrior fans and unless Dallas can silence that crowd they have no chance of splitting this two-game series in Oakland. We've seen that the Warriors can win on the road in the last 20-30 games. If they can pull off a win of Game 4 then I will have to say that it's more than a good chance that Dallas will be done.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

once again utah jazz do a good job against the rockets. surprised the rockets arn't doing to good these past 2 games, well at least this did a little better this game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: