Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Kerry's "Botched Joke"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Kerry's "Botched Joke" Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure many of you in the US have heared this story. Kerry Spoke as a speaker at the campaign rally being held for Democratic California governeral candidate Phil Angelides. It was there where he told a this joke.

Kerry wrote:
You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

The next day, a whole load of Republicans jumped on it such as John McCain and Dennis Hastert, and Bush. They said that Kerry was insulting the American military forces fighting in Iraq, however, the transcripts for his speech state that he left out one little word, "us".

Now Repulicans are jumping on this like an easy cheerleader, what really pisses me off, is how they can insult Kerry, who isn't on the freaking ballot, and use this to attack the ballots. Is there anyone who actually belives this? Is this enough to sway votes? I know this is a result of the elections coming closer and closer. How low can the Republicans can get?

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.

Last edited by Jorge Prima on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, republicans are pretty desperate to do something like that. You'd have to be pretty gullible to fall for this pathetic ploy.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ummm... whether there's a you or not, it's still pretty insulting to the soldiers in Iraq. Joke or not, true or not, it's not exactly a morale raiser for what is already not a happy job. It was a pretty stupid move on Kerry's part.

I don't think it'll affect any elections. Most people would be terribly upset by the statement probably would've voted Republican anyway. And the Republicans have to have their chance to overblow an issue. The democrats have been aided by numerous corruption scandals, Mark Foley, and even Rush Limbaugh's stupidity with Michael J. Fox.

Campaign-hype-wise, the Republicans aren't really lower than the Democrats.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if any of you watch Real Time with Bill Maher or Countdown with Keith Olbermann, but those are the only two shows that scolded the Bush administration for pulling something like this.

I hate to use this, but in a way, it must be stated again. Kerry is a decorated war veteran. George W. Bush...is not. So, actually thinking that Kerry was trying to diss 140 thousand troops in Iraq when he served is preposterous.

And, Shrew, it can't be a morale booster when in Iraq, the contractor next to the G.I. is making five-times more dough as a result of privatizing the military.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The polls don't seem to be affected by this very much, if at all. Hopefully Ameircan citizens have gotten a tad smarter in the last 2 years after making the decision to re-elect Bush.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, yes. I saw Kerry saying this yesterday. I have to admit, I shook my head when I saw it.

He must have known that the Republican Party would skin him for saying anything even along those lines. It's pretty stupid to say it. Still, he said it. The Republican Party's outrage at it, though, really shows how desperate they are to get some votes. Let's hope they don't get them.

Last edited by Vertius on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I hate to use this, but in a way, it must be stated again. Kerry is a decorated war veteran. George W. Bush...is not. So, actually thinking that Kerry was trying to diss 140 thousand troops in Iraq when he served is preposterous.

I guess it depends on what you think a decorated war veteran is. The man was nothing but a publicity stunt over there. Half the troops from his unit (or more) despise the guy for his actions in and after the war in Vietnam. There is actually a picture of him in the museum dedicated to North Vietnam's win in that war, in that he helped win the war for the North Vietnamese (I read this a long time ago, I will try to find clarity on it, since I am sure most people won't believe this. I barely believed it). Decorated war veteran? He recieved those medals through his status in the nation.

And I find it odd that people are actually surprised of the thought that the Republicans are using this as a tool in the coming elections. It was a bad thing to say, and Kerry is just a man filled with botched words and stupid actions to the likeness of Dean and Kennedy. Of course the Republicans will use this to their advantage. It's a bit dirty, yes...but no one could say the Democrats wouldn't have jumped on something like this if the ball was in their court. Hell, look at Bush and nuclear! That never went away :D

American politics is nothing but an immature piss and slap contest, with people that are born into their status and are doing things solely for their benefit and the benefit of their families. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
Ummm... whether there's a you or not, it's still pretty insulting to the soldiers in Iraq. Joke or not, true or not, it's not exactly a morale raiser for what is already not a happy job. It was a pretty stupid move on Kerry's part.

Thats my bad Shrew, I meant he forgot "us."

So the "joke" should have went something like

Kerry wrote:
You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get us stuck in Iraq."

I was just amazed how the republicans can beat on something so out of context.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
Quote:

I guess it depends on what you think a decorated war veteran is. The man was nothing but a publicity stunt over there. Half the troops from his unit (or more) despise the guy for his actions in and after the war in Vietnam.

Well, Bub, even if he is a d-bag, the fact of the matter remains that Kerry received two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, and a Silver Star- - four more medals than Bush.

I'm not standing up for Kerry. In all honesty, I hope the Democratic Party can come up with better candidates. However, if this is all the Republican Party can come up with, I am deeply offended.

As for people hating him, you are referring to the Swift Boat Vets. However, most of them didn't serve at the same time as Kerry, nor were they in the same unit (as they would like us to believe). Also, one of the more outspoken vets did serve at the same time as Kerry, but, according to wikipedia, he was not present during the events that gave Kerry the medals. Furthermore, most of these vets had close ties to the Bush administration during the 2004 campaign.

As for American politics, I agree with you. It is a popularity contest where you spend all of your time getting re-elected right after you are granted the position. However, there are several down-to-earth politicians out there who deserve a chance. I was reading about a Democratic candidate in Wyoming for the House who traveled to 10,000 Wyoming residencies and individually asked them what they would like to see. As of right now, in a red state such as Wyoming, he is neck-and-neck with the Republican incumbent. I guess it doesn't help matters that the Republican took $55.000 from Jack Abramoff and threatened to slap her libertarian opponent if he wasn't in a wheelchair (in fact, he has M.S.).

Sorry about that, everyone. I will get off my soapbox. These are just some incredibly dirty campaigns, and I am ready for a change.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.

Last edited by Thor McOdin on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

^That was what he was supposed to say.

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

^That is what he said.

It sounds to me that he just said what was on his mind. That was more than a botch to me.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

American politics is nothing but an immature hee haw and slap contest, with people that are born into their status and are doing things solely for their benefit and the benefit of their families. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sad but true.

Quote:

I was just amazed how the republicans can beat on something so out of context.

That's exactly why I'm a democrat. Kerry's actions were dissapointing at worst, while the things republicans have been doing tend to make me question humanity.

Quote:

Campaign-hype-wise, the Republicans aren't really lower than the Democrats.

I've actually been trying to find out what all the democrats have done to this degree, as I hear it so often. Mind elaborating?

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I've actually been trying to find out what all the democrats have done to this degree, as I hear it so often. Mind elaborating?

See: Ted Kennedy plus car plus drunk plus mistress plus plunging into a river.

Both sides have stupid people. Both sides have skeletons in the closet. One isn't better than the other.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, that's based on the person then... I'm talking about general beliefs of the party. Of course you're going to have bad people on each side, that's why I don't go by the individual.

Now, when there is a whole GROUP of individuals in one immoral position at one time, that's when I start to judge.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Frankly, Kerry has a history of putting his foot in his mouth and this is just another case for it (think back to the third debate in his failed presidential bid). Despite the fact that he is no longer on the mid-term ballots, his political career has not ended.

And even if it wasn't that he meant, it's what he said. You don't need to be a Republican to see it the way he's spun it. I'm not a Republican and I saw it that way. It comes from him being as charismatic as Frankenstein's monster.

And all of this is why I'm not prone to either side. Both sides are loaded with liars and scoundrels, with spin artists and idiots. This situation isn't bad at all. The only reason anyone is making a big deal out of this is because it's John Kerry. This is normal spin you see on an everyday basis in politics. There are far worse things being done on all sides. The Republicans are more visible only because they are in power.

And if we are really going to compare this to what Ted Kennedy did, I think spinning what someone said, which is done by every politician, is far lighter than causing someone's death and not calling the police about it. What Kennedy did was major. This is run of the mill.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Oh, that's based on the person then... I'm talking about general beliefs of the party. Of course you're going to have bad people on each side, that's why I don't go by the individual.

Now, when there is a whole GROUP of individuals in one immoral position at one time, that's when I start to judge.

Well morality is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot say that one side is more morally lax than the other one, sincre morality is a long debated topic...one of the longest debated topics in human history. There is no right answer in the long run.

Now you personally may think that one side is right, but if everyone thought that, then there would be more of a monarchy instead of a Democracy (or Republic).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: