Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rap and Hip Hop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Rap and Hip Hop Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before naming this thread (I think that 'Hip Hop and Rap' is generic) it's necessary to define what constitutes each, and to notice their differences and similarities. I'm making this thread because on mostly Eminem that there is about a 50/50 mix of people who like the genres and people who have bad and even misinformed opinions about it. I'm not trying to change your opinions about it, I'm just trying to shed some light on it, because knowledge of it isn't always easy to come by.

Hip Hop is more often characterized by technical mastery and instrumentation, such as A Tribe Called Quest and Mos Def. Rap is generally the more lyrical, harder edged of the two, although they have more similarities than differences to be honest. Rappers include Eminem, Nas and Jay-Z. Now you know the difference, if anyone should ever mention it to appear esoteric and attempt to put you in your place.

Of coruse lines are constantly crossed. Both feature rhyming lyrics, with the famous 'two words that don't sound the same' rhyme being largely a component of hip hop. Artists who rap can also easily crossover and do hip hop, like Dr. Dre when he was with NWA, and then his work with Snoop Dogg and vice versa. I don't really have a solid view and definition of these two types of music, because like every other genre, there is something that comes around and reshapes the genre, such as Illmatic or Black Star and brings something different.

I'm also going to point out that as long as something is played on TRL, it's pop. Ja Rule, Jay-Z on The Life of Shaun Carter, vol. 3 and even 50 Cent (his solo work, but not his stuff with G-Unit) falls under this category. Some of it may even be alright, but I just hate MTV so much so yo umight have to forgive me. It should also be known that hip hop and rap hit their peak around 1993-1994, and again enjoyed a short resurgence around 2000. Other than that there have been some pretty dark years for it.

THI's Top Five MCs:

1) Gangstarr - As I said, Premier's jazz samples and quick but muted scratching and Guru's monotone but still sharp voice make these guys legends. The lyrics are also probably the best ever, as I post this short sample from Moment of Truth.

Quote:
Sometimes you gotta dig deep, when problems come near
Don't fear things get severe for everybody everywhere
Why do bad things happen, to good people?
Seems that life is just a constant war between good and evil
The situation that I'm facin', is mad amazin'
to think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now I'm contemplatin in my bedroom pacin'
Dark clouds over my head, my heart's racin'
Suicide? Nah, I'm not a foolish guy
Don't even feel like drinking, or even gettin high.

Fíng brilliance.

2) Black Star - Brooklyn rappers Mos Def and Talib Kweli (who both have incredible solo work that you need to check out) and DJ Hi Tek. They have an amazing dynamic, with Kweli's smart personifications and views, as well as his lyrical flow and Def's slow, rambling voice and quick lyrical fills go perfectly together. DJ Hi Tek is pretty good in my opinion, however, I sure would like to have seen these two gifted MCs work with DJ Premier.

3) Nas - New York born Nasir Jones is one of the best storytellers from this or any other generation. He can also do just about anything, from the super fast rap to the slow Guru-style rap and all over beats by the best producers in the business, from Dr. Dre to DJ Premier. For an absolutely vulgar display of his lyrical prowess, check out the track Rewind, off of Stillmatic. He tells a crazy story backwards, and it's perfect.

4) A Tribe Called Quest - If you have to guess where they're from it's sad. Completely ditched the gangsta rap formula that was taking over largely thanks to (or the fault of) NWA. As for their beats, DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad has a signature, aquatic sound that's very laid back, alot like the Fugees. Q-Tip and Phife also looked at alot of black issues like rape, censorship and drug use. The Low End Theory remains one of the best alternative hip hop albums ever made, and I have Bonita Applebaum playing in my head at this very moment.

5) Wu Tang Clan - In reality a hip hop supergroup from Staten Island rather than a single Mc and DJ. Made up of The Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon the Chef, Inspectah Deck, The recently deceased Old Dirty Bastard, U-God, Masta Killah, The Genius/The GZA and the RZA. The RZA is one of the best hip hop producers of all time, with a signature sound that can be heard perfectly on The 36 Chambers/Enter the Wu Tang that focuses on strings, percussion, thumping bass and even the odd woodwind instrument. Their name is also taken from an ancient, mythical Chinese sword weilded by a brotherhood of invincible warriors, if that isn't bad enough for you.

Honorable mentions: Common, Outkast, Jay-Z, Eazy E and De La Soul
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm also going to point out that as long as something is played on TRL, it's pop

Pop is the word to describe popular music, so it could be Rap, Hip Hop, Rock n Roll, Instrumental, Trance, or whatever. So as long as it's popular, it's pop, no matter whether it's Britney Spears or Wu Tang Clan or Linkin Park or U2 or Michael Jackson.

And one more thing, like the sports thread that you made before, I have no idea what you want us to do with this thread. So you explained what rap and hip hop is, and you listed your top 5 MCs. And? Do you want us to list our top 5 MCs? Or what? I noticed that you like making lengthy threads, but in some, I just totally have no idea what you want the readers to do with it. It's more like you're informing us than wanting to discuss about something.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's quite a simple process really, with this thread.

Read, Download, React, Respond.

As in you read the thread, download the songs, listen to them and react and finally respond here. Sorry to speak condescendingly, but I think if people read the post, they'll know what to respond with. Talk about all hip hop and rap, if you like the stuff I hate don't worry, because I don't discriminate.

EDIT:

Quote:
and to your honorable mentions..... wheres 2pac and biggie??

Touché, Odessa+++, really the two biggest names if looking at respect. I'll edit the post later when I have the time.

Although they're also examples of things that bother me because everybody likes them, everybody, I cant look past their influence, though I refuse to rank them higher than #4.[/quote]

Last edited by Vincent Chase on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Odessa++

11000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*random moment* haha Bonita applebum is funny.. i love that song though.. it reminds me of Pharrell Williams when he confessed about his 1st experiment with drugs.. and that all he kept singing was that song...

and to your honorable mentions..... wheres 2pac and biggie??
Marth

Pancake Masters

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to listen to rap but now i don't as much.... HUmm my favorite used to be 2pac..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: