Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The novel name of the Prince of Falena revealed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Does anyone else specifically start a new Suikoden game to re-name the hero once the "official" name is out?

Nah, I don't start a new game when the novelized name is out. I usually just hack the current name the hero has with a gameshark to the novelized name. That way, I don't have to start again. Gameshark helps a lot with the release of the "official" name. At least it it to me. :P
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting interesting. Let the Norse member of this forum share some insight! :p I don't quite see how they get a Norse reference into his name since there's pretty much nothing Nordic about Falena or its royal family, but lets dig a bit deeper.

Freyja ~ Freya ~ Frigga
These are names associated with the Goddess of Beauty/Love/Feminity/Spring, who is married to Odin and third strongest of all the gods ( behind Odin and Thor ).

The accented "ü" is used predominately in German I believe, and the German Vikings called the goddess Frigga so this is almost a mix of Scandinavian Norse and German language. I'm not sure that dür itself has any meaning, Google at least uncovered nothing.

Frey however is a good name for the prince. Frey is the brother of Freya. He is associated with the fertilizing powers of the sun and rain, and like his sister, with the return of spring.

This fits in nicely with the cycles of the sun rune, especially the Dawn aspect which is the restoration of Falena.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Frey is the brother of Freya

I think you mean Freyr. I noticed the Norse connection as well. I found it kinda....odd that they chose to use a female name in the Prince's name instead of a male's. I think that Delling (god of the dawn) would've been more appropriate.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not all that strange that the savior of a matriarchal nation should be named after a powerful female figure. Especially given that I'm the only person who doesn't think the prince looks like a princess. I'm just mad that Falcon beat me to explaining the name.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:

Freyja ~ Freya ~ Frigga
These are names associated with the Goddess of Beauty/Love/Feminity/Spring, who is married to Odin and third strongest of all the gods ( behind Odin and Thor ).

Hah, hah, hah. Oh yeah.

However, the argument between Freyja and Frigg is quite complex. Some say that it is all geographical (Scandanavia and Germany). Others say that they are the same. However, I think that they are different goddesses despite some similarities. Frigg is the leader of the Aesir goddesses while Freyja is the leader of the Vanir goddesses.

I like the Prince's name, but I would've gone for Fenrir...or Balder...or Forseti.

By the way, how about that Haud Village? Could it b derived from "Hod," Balder's brother whom accidentally killed him after being tricked by Loki? Maybe...But that is off-topic. Forgive me.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:
I think you mean Freyr. I noticed the Norse connection as well. I found it kinda....odd that they chose to use a female name in the Prince's name instead of a male's.

Indeed Freyr is the more correct way to write his name, but in this day of english-speakers not everyone seems to get how to pronounce the 'r' on the end. There are many gods which have these 'r's at the end of their names, but are often left off.

Quote:
I think that Delling (god of the dawn) would've been more appropriate.

You have to remember he would have been named at birth by his parents, who couldn't possibly have known he would inherit the dawn rune that long ago.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

You have to remember he would have been named at birth by his parents, who couldn't possibly have known he would inherit the dawn rune that long ago.

I know but it could've been used as foreshadowing by the game developers.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't there a slayer in the future Buffyverse called Fray? Hmm. That's precisely the kind of thing which'll bug me and I'm not even sure why. Oh well.

...and Rune was called Thray in the Japanese version of Phantasy Star IV... Fray, Frey, Thray...!
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still prefer Faroush, but Freyjadour does seem to have some good mythological reasoning behind it. I guess it's least important for this hero, seeing as all we have to say is Prince ____ (or even Falenas) and it's obvious who it is.

EDIT: Heh, I've come to prefer Freyjadour actually. Especially after learning more about the name. I started a new file chain with him named that, and I often call him Frey while discussing him.

Last edited by poorguy171 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
crushedvelvet

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked Freyjadour when I found out.

First people called him Faroush but I prefer Frey.

Best Tenkai name ever imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Freyjadour is a name that has pros and cons in many fields, thoguh i have to say that i like it. At least he could have a nickname whenever he wanted to since his name is this long. :) Prince Frey has a nice ring to it.

paolomiguel

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that's a nice name for the Prince. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: