Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Reading is good for you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Atavaka wrote:
For fantasy fans, I reccomend George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which A Game of Thrones is the first of. It's probably the best modern fantasy series available, much better than Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time in my opinion.

Ok, i just read Book 3 Part 1 of The Song of Ice anf Fire. I can only think of it as a medieval "Jerry Springer Show", Location: Guantanamo Bay Prison Cell 1A. I'm not sure what kind of inspiration Mr. Martin had to give the details as such. But i'm waiting to get Book 4. I can't help it. The bigger picture entices me. But I would like it if he could just stop with his fetish with raping, paedophilia, and everyone talking non stop about eveyrone's genitals, please!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was hooked on a serise called "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jorden... if you liked Lord of the Rings this serise blows it out of the water by far... but thats my opinion.
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. I think the series you're talking about is The Wheel of Time series, and the first book is called The Eye of the World. Just trying to clear that up.

For me, it's a well-written series that has hooked my interest far more than any Lord of the Rings story ever did, short of a movie. The pacing in Wheel of Time has gotten incredibly slow in the most recent books, but the stupid story still has me addicted enough that after, what, three years of waiting I'd still drop my current reading material for the next installment. Guess I'm just weak-minded like that.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh yeah.. sorry bout the title it's been a while since I've read it... and yeah that old man needs to hurry with another book. Perrin is the man!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perrin is the man, just as you said, you unkown guy.

I reserved the next book to come out. I forgot what the name was, something like the Knife/Dagger of Dreams. I wonder why make a name like that. It isn't up to par to Crossroads of Twilight or [Crown of Swords[/i] and stuff like that. But i must remember to not judge a book by its cover...or in this case, it's title. It's supposed to be released this October.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thats very good info man, was woundering when it was comeing out
Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone should try and get in a little bit of reading every single day - even when one isn't ina state of education, they should be educating themselves, ya know, keep yourself up to scratch...if your mind is always working and extracting knowledge, it increases your ability to think, to assess, and you'll more likely be able to express valid opinions.

Even a message board is a great way to learn, and get thinking, and of course for some good fun - balancing out such key elemenst is a superb way to keep things interesting.

The beauty and attraction of Suikoden is that it's deeper and more engaging than any other RPG, and therefore it makes you think.

the amount of theories and depth built around the series is a completely different ball game....well, RPG, and thats why i looove it, it even involves reading.

At the moment i'm reading "House Of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski

its pretty mind-blowing and unconventional:

Read of it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375703764/qid=1114693978 /sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0541712-1389510?v=glance&s=books

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love to read. I started reading at a very early age. One of my first memories is of reading The Three Little Pigs with my grandma. I can't even remember not being able to read. It just seemed like a natural ability, like breathing.

I remember I used to go to the library and check out at least twenty books at a time and have them all read by the next week. They were only about 200 pages or so each, but I would pick them up one after another until I was finished. Then I would make my mom take me back to the library to get some more.

Reading completely relaxes me no matter what mood I am in at the present time. Reading is like an escape for me. It takes me away from whatever I am doing and puts me somewhere else. That's a feeling I never get tired of.

Presently, we're reading a book in composition, and my teacher has to literally pry the book from my hands at the end of class. I had that problem with the 5th Harry Potter book as well. I got it at exactly midnight last year when it came out and read until 5 o'clock in the morning when my mom forced me to go to bed. I woke up at 11 and picked it up again. I didn't stop reading again until I was again forced to leave it, and that was because I had to go mow the lawn. Even so, I was not deterred. I picked it up again after I got back inside and didn't stop reading until 5 o'clock the next morning. It took me a total of 22 hours to complete. Even though I didn't care for the 5th book as much as the others, I still couldn't put it down for the fear that it would disappear. I can get so wrapped up in a book that I forget to eat and sleep. Time just moves differently when you read.

I haven't read as much as many of the other members here, but I think I can appreciate the written word just as much. I like science-fiction and fantasy books the best I think. Books such as The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist particularly caught my interest. I also like the Tom Swift adventures when I was younger, as well as The Circle Opens Quartet the C.S.I. books, particularly Cold Burn. Now I tend to gravitate toward Dan Brown books such as The Da Vinci Code and Deception Point, although I have yet to complete Angels and Demons.

I think I haven't been reading as much lately because I've been reading too much fan fiction. I've been substituting the electronic word for the written word. I would like to start getting back to books again, but school has made it difficult. Homework and projects to finish as the year comes to a close. I hope I find more time during the summer to possibly take a dive into the classics.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Wheel of Time Series is an excellent series of books and so is Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series. Raymond E feist also has an excellent series that starts with the Rift War Saga in which the first book Magician Apprentice is very well written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: