Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Reading is good for you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello, my name is Sophita and I'm a bookaholic. I have to confess, it's gotten pretty bad. When I go to a library, I find it very hard to limit myself to 10 books, even though I know that's all I'll have time to read, anyway. And I am forever making "To Read" lists of books.

In the past year, I have read about 120 books. Gotta love having 3 hour breaks between classes with absolutely nothing to do because your friends have all gone home and the computer lab is always slow and ...well, you really don't want to know what some of those people are looking up and besides, it's always clogged with people and smells kind of iffy. Books + cd player + good headphones = magic.

I will never understand why some people can enjoy the web - nay, even love it - and yet with the same breath curse reading a book. Unless they're a big fan of internet stations, it is a bit of a double standard.

The book I'm reading right now is David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I've heard dozens of friends rec it...but honestly? It's so-so. Certainly not the best I've read this year, but certainly not the worst*. He writes well but I don't see the rollicking humor that they have. But then again, I'm only in the first few pages, so perhaps it is too soon to judge. I do like the cover art, though!

* The worst I've read this year was Sara Nelson's So Many Books, so Little Time. In fact, that was one of the most awful books I have ever read in my entire life. -.-

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The worst book I read this year, well last year now actually, would be a Buffy TVS book. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was stuck on a boat with nothing to read but the books provided, so I read it (as I was a fan of the TV series) but it goes to show that some things are best left not written.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor wrote:
The worst book I read this year, well last year now actually, would be a Buffy TVS book. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was stuck on a boat with nothing to read but the books provided, so I read it (as I was a fan of the TV series) but it goes to show that some things are best left not written.

Dude....i feel sorry for you.

That is totally correct: some things are best left unwritten. Like a book on the Man in the Iron Mask. When a friend of mine was reading that book, we all asked why not jsut see the movie. He told us that it increses your imagination to read it. We all still laughed at him. But he still had a good point.

But King Fliktor, dude...

Say, has anyone read the killing fields from that Cambodian Doctor? I big read, based on the true atrocity of the Khmer Rouge, and this man's flight from the hellhole they created. A true read. And i was fortunate enough to read it back in the 8th grade. The movie "the Killing Fields", starring John Malkovich, was based on this. And the author won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Last edited by Starslasher on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read quite lot

Umberto Eco's : Foucault's Pendullum and the infamous The Name of The Rose are my last year's reading, I pretty much like his church conspiracy theory concept, but for this past few years, this kind of books were flooding the bookstore (like Da Vinci Code) and I get bored.

Karen Armstrong's : Holy War and The Battle of Gods are another of my favorite, they provide a good point of view about religion's fundamentalism and fanatism in a neutral and objective way.

Anne Rice's vampire chronicle. It filled my lust for blood, hehe. The characters are really well developed and most of her book had a nice little plot. Also don't forget about Agatha Christie. I don't like reading detective book but I had an exception for her. I also read Michael Crichton's.

Eiji Yoshikawa's Teiko. Aside of the good history-storyline, it gives me all most of the info I need about eraly Japan. Actually, I wanted to put Musashi too, but I didn't really like the slowly moving story. Teiko is so dynamic in some way.

For a more common taste, I love reading classic novel. These books are my favorite :
- Sir Walter Scott's : 'Ivanhoe' and 'Rob Roy'
- Goethe's : Faust (I like both the script and the opera)
- Victor Hugo's : Les Miserable
- Charles Dickens's : The Old Curiosity Shop. and also Oliver Twist :D
- Snorri Sturllusson's (did I spell it right?) : Edda
- Louisa May Alcott's : 'Little Women' and 'Little Men'
- Leo Tolstoy's : Anna Karenina

I didn't put myself much in reading modern novel and literacy, I don't know, I just didn't like novel that took place in the modern world. Those about autism and child abuse are booming right now (like Dave Pelzer's or the one Fliktor wrote) but it's tiring to read if you had read one of them becuse it's mostly the same. After one time, you can't feel it with the heart anymore.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm.. Anyone read "Outlaws of the Marsh" a old chinese novel. Someone told me it is what the whole gathering of the stars of destiny came from. However I have not read it myself, but the borders I went to said that they can order like one of the volumes for 36dollars. Anywho, just wondering if anyone else has read them, and would it be well worth my money.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is where it came from. It's also called "Heroes of the Marsh" and "The Water Margin" and there's something else if I recall. I haven't read it myself, but I'm considering getting it. Now all I need is free time and money...

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masaya wrote:
Hm.. Anyone read "Outlaws of the Marsh" a old chinese novel. Someone told me it is what the whole gathering of the stars of destiny came from. However I have not read it myself, but the borders I went to said that they can order like one of the volumes for 36dollars. Anywho, just wondering if anyone else has read them, and would it be well worth my money.

I have read it. It's pretty interesting. The book's presentation reminded me of the Illiad because often massive battles and duels that occur. Character development for most of the characters is kept very small, and many characters are only mentioned for a few pages. It's more action oriented than story oriented, but it's still entertaining.

Recently, I have been reading a lot of introductory books on contemporary continental philosophy. I have to say, I don't understand most of it. Derrida is hard to understand
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

don't feel bad, fliktor; when i'm super bored, i'll read whatever my hands can get a hold of, like food labels and such. *has read the content label of a deodorant package while waiting in line at a store.*

however, my preferences lie with suspense novels, like dean koontz, fantasy/sci fi, like dungeons and dragons and the occasional manga or horror novel.

*i've even been known to read some classical literature from time to time as well as a few biographies.*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like fantasy novels a lot. The more fantastical, the more I tend to like them. Horror stuff is great, too. Swan Song is <3.

I'm currently reading a book called Gilgamesh and another called Crossroads of the Twilight (or something like that >_>). I have a long list of stuff to read after finishing those.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crossroads of Twilight? Would it happen to be my Robert Jordan, Celes?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
don't feel bad, fliktor; when i'm super bored, i'll read whatever my hands can get a hold of, like food labels and such. *has read the content label of a deodorant package while waiting in line at a store.*

Sounds like how I am, when I get really bored and have read everything there is to read in the house I will start to read food labels, ingrediants, nutritional facts...Etc. Etc.

By the way what is Disodium Guanylate?

Anyways I like to read Horror novels and Fantasy novels, Encyclopedias, and I love biographies (Well depending on who it is on)

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

neclord, apparentlly, it's a food flavor enhancer, and it's in some trouble:

http://www.gbcslaw.com/pending_cases/recent-filings.htm

it's involved in a case, mentioned in the link; it's seventh from the bottom *msg antitrust litigation.*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reading is probably one of the most beneficial hobbies a person can adapt, and being able to read for fun is something that will help you throughout the course of your life.

Like a few others who have posted before me, I can read absolutely anywhere, any time. This can occasionally land me in some uncomfortable situations, but I don't have any regrets

I'm noticing a definite preference towards classical literature here. The only classic I've ever read was Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, which I definitely didn't care for. I'm a strong believer in keeping desriptions as brief as possible while maintaining interest, and I really think Scott pushed the envelope on that one. Still, from what I've heard, most classical literature is like that; perhaps I just need to mature a little before tackling another one.

Favorite novels include Shogun by James Clavell, which probably isn't a very good reference on mideval Japan, but still makes for a good read, and A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Looking at everyone else's posts, I keep seeing recurring references to some title called "Musashi," or perhaps that the author's name, I'm not really sure. But I am interested. Anyone care to provide a quick summary of the book (like what you'd see on the back cover)?

For fantasy fans, I reccomend George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which A Game of Thrones is the first of. It's probably the best modern fantasy series available, much better than Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time in my opinion.

Jeez, I could go on about books forever, but I think I'll stop here for now.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read. Oh yes, I read.

My favorite book is (And probably always will be) Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. Anything Pterry (Discworld fandom nickname for Mr. Pratchett :D ) writes is gold to me, but L&L even more so. The humor, moods, and thoughts it contains are truly remarkable, as is Pterry's amazing ability to blend all three together. The entire confrontation between Granny Weatherwax and the Queen of the Elves is especially amazing. Pterry writes a climax like none other.

Also amazing reads (For much the same reason as L&L)?

Steven Chbosky's the perks of being a wallflower, and Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn

In fact, everyone should read, at least, the Mommy Fortuna part of The Last Unicorn. It is absolutely amazing. And not at all like the animated version, so don't go thinking that counts. ;)

Those are just the three I've reread recently, hence my recommending only them.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyatt Lightfellow

Riders for the Goddess

5955 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reading is definitely good for you. The more you read the more knowledge you gain. You should read all the time, even the only things that you read are forums online! :D

I have read many books since Kindergarten. Many first books that I read are all picture books or easy books. Not until Year 3 did I begin to read fictions. And not until Year 5 did I start reading a non-fiction book! I've always enjoyed reading since I was very young. And now I'm collecting books to make my library enormous! Hehe, I can tell you that I'm a big bibliophile now (I have all hard-cover books on my shelves!). I think everyone here who loves to read should start collecting books for their own library. :D

Recently, I've joined the Book Club in my school. It's a fun club. We spend a lot of time discussing books and authors. We have just finished a book called The Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime It's sort of a weird book but it's really a terrific one. I'm pretty sure you'll love it! I think I will recommend a book called Watership Down for the book club this week (we read a book for two weeks, usually). Joining a book club can be really great! :wink:

At the moment, I'm not reading any novel. I'm reading a philosophy book called The Principles of Philosophy, written by Descartes. I'm enjoying it. Philosophy is one of my most favourite subjects.

For English class, next week I have to read The Glass Menagerie. I've heard that it's a really good play written by the American playwright Tennessee Williams. This will be the first one I've read written by Williams! I can't wait to read it!

On weekends, I always go to Barnes and Noble, a very famous bookstore that has a lot of books. I've recently purchased Crime and Punishment and The Seven Ideas That Shook The Universe from there. I'll spend time reading them tomorrow after I finish The Principles of Philosophy tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: