Suikoden United and Irrational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SARS: unfortunate coincidence?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: SARS: unfortunate coincidence? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Suikoden Assumption and Rumors Shelter ... SARS.

But isn't SARS also that disease that scared everyone for a while in China?
I was wondering if the coincidence had hit anybody before; it's a little weird.. Not that I'm implying anything horrible like forum-goers getting sick or anything.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I was always wondering that....

That disease was blown WAY out of proportion.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am pretty sure that SARSadmin had that in mind when he put it up. The site started up around the time of the SARS scare, so he probably intended for it to be a joke on the name.
Nihilive

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
I am pretty sure that SARSadmin had that in mind when he put it up. The site started up around the time of the SARS scare, so he probably intended for it to be a joke on the name.

That's what I always assumed too. Good placement.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, when this forum first came about (way back when SARSadmin was trying out the house system) there was a thread about the site's name, and how it was funny because at that point, the SARS scare was huge.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome/Sickness) not only did alot of damage in China (and by alot I mean really not much at all, considering other diseases like the plague, AIDS and Cancer from the radiation of Chernobyl, Hiroshima and the Bikini Atoll), but it also did alot of damage in my Canada, especailly Toronto.

I've heard from alot of sources that Toronto is the world's most multicultural city, and I believe it. It's so multicultural that there are two large Chinatown districts. The SARS scare did really bad things for the Tourism industry in Toronto, but we did get a bitchin' concert.

SARS Stock, huge.

And I'll use this opportunity to push my city. It's beautiful, diverse and inexpensive (except for the sky high cost of living). Come visit it, PM me first and I'll tell you some of the best places to go.

(Justin Timberlake...WTF was that all about?)
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I find interesting is that (especially) in medical speak: severe = acute. Guess they didn't want to call it ARS.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought he did that so when people were re-searching the disease sars they would find this site.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, the site has existed longer than the acronym, therefore it wasn't based on the disease. Just an unfortunate coincidence.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD

Last edited by Sophita on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see it as an unfortunate thing really. SARS is just a harmless word thats associated with a nasty disease. Sure it was big at one point but it got blown way out of proportion by the media, making it sound like some sort of super-virus that was about to spread world-wide and kill billions but in reality it got subdued in a rather short time. The media boom however made people curious about the disease which could possibly have lead a few of them to this holy site. They would soon discover the perfection that is suikoden and discover the true meaning of life. :mrgreen:
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I couldn't help but laugh whenever the disease was mentioned...it just sounded so funny... *feels bad* :?

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...Laugh all you want but I've caught the disease. Cured before it got out of control. Felt like fainting on the 2nd day. Can barely stand...even eat *shrugs bad memories off*
Hong Kong's casualties from the SARS nearly hit 300. Just one more person...and imagine every person you see is wearing a mask! I was a little upset when the admin decided on the site name but I got over it.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The farthest the disease ever got in North America was in a small part of Canada, and there were people here in Las Vegas walking around with those masks on, as if they had something to worry about. If there were reports of Reno getting ravaged by it, and the disease was going south, then I'd have something to worry about. The Las Vegan folks and I had nothing to fear, but 50% of the people were trying to protect themselves.

I can't believe how people are so easily frightened, but it just goes to show how easily the media can control our behavior.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
No, the site has existed longer than the acronym, therefore it wasn't based on the disease. Just an unfortunate coincidence.

That's not true. BM did name the site after the disease in July 2003. The acronym already existed back then.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARS really did become a joke here. Ever see those shirts? Something like: Toronto and four points under it: Mad Cow, SARS, 2003 Blackout and SARS again. I THINK. I have a bad memory. It really was blown out of proportion though. My friend who is chinese was on a bus and she coughed and a bunch of people stared at her and some people even said "SARS!" under thier breath. Like COME on! I mean SARS was bad... but it wasn't an epidemic! I still see some people wearing masks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: