Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

No black people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe Dog-People...
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I wouldn't even consider kobolds as "people."

Yes, it's probably best we do that. I think we should categorise them as we do normal dogs, as otherwise it becomes too complicated.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something about Lucia and Luce seems black to me. The rest is seems like the are Native American. Hopefully we will start to see more black characters in the future. Hauser was around about the same time as Barret of FF7. It was nice to see one not so stereotypical of us.
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Believe me. There should be more black people. Kika was mentioned before...how the heck is she going to be so pale if she spends her life on the sea? Same goes for Snowe, Lazlo and his companions and a long etc. -they should have a serious cancer skin by now :roll: -
But considering how Japanese graphic designers draw round eyes despite they have almond shaped eyes I am not surprised at all...
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well.. I think they should be realistic and at least give the brothers a place to call their own >_> damn son

<_<

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I consider the Karayans black. Not every black person has Wesley Snipes skin, guys. And for the love of God, not all black cultures are from Africa and not all cultures from Africa are black.

I think the Karayans have a more Nubian look. But you cannot look at characters like Luce and Ayla and tell me they aren't black. They both have strong Africa features, and their skin tone is right. I don't know where you guys are getting Latino from. Maybe Hugo.

Hallec. How is Hallec not black?

Have you guys noticed? Only Ishikawa puts black characters into Suikoden. Kawano and King only have Asian and white people (barring an Arab or so here and there in the case of Suiko5). I hate seeing whitey everywhere. There are 100+ characters in every game, and they're always white or Asian. I too wish they would be more multicultural. I'm tired of having the series go from nation to nation, only to see white people as the dominate race/culture everywhere.

I agree about the Island Nations thing. That place is a heatstroke waiting to happen, and yet everyone is pale. The darkest person I can think of is Penola, which doesn't make sense, because she's fully clothed and has that tower on her head that envelops all of Middleport in shadow. Then there's Na-Nal I guess. Axel and Jewel are rather dark-toned, but like all dark-skinned people in Japanese games...they have white or blond hair.

^Actual quote!
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well you can´t blame Konami or the game for it. The only RPG I know which had a "fair" or moderate amount of people with darker skin ( I wont call them black now) was Finla Fantasy 10. But I also would wish for a little bit more "brothers" ;)
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Thunder wrote:

I agree about the Island Nations thing. That place is a heatstroke waiting to happen, and yet everyone is pale. The darkest person I can think of is Penola, which doesn't make sense, because she's fully clothed and has that tower on her head that envelops all of Middleport in shadow. Then there's Na-Nal I guess. Axel and Jewel are rather dark-toned, but like all dark-skinned people in Japanese games...they have white or blond hair.

That depends wholly on the climate of the INF, it is not as if it would be located around the equator of the Suikoden world indicating that yes they would get above average heat temperatures more often causing far more tanned people to populate the area. Since for all intents and purposes the regions of the INF are quite shaded and the light haired people are concentrated in the area with the least amount of shade (Na-Nal) and that light hair has been somewhat proven to be a result of the lack of melanin due to the rays of the sun, its viable that rather than a humid 'caribbean' climate the INF is in far more of a temperate zone.

I mean, we saw Kooluk as a somewhat arid place and Falena as probably the perfect ecosystem to date, so since the INF is situated in between you would find a more moderate temperature with sea breezes all round which would cool the immediate area.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, prehaps the IL people were northren invadiors from centuries ago? But I agree they shold be more tanned. Prehaps digging up some skintones and geographical settings would be helpfull now?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Note: Black people aren't the same as tanned people. If we're talking ethnicity here, the closest match would be the Karayans, but you have to remember that there are many, many kinds of of black people.

I would like to see not just more black people, but more black cultures. It just seems weird to see Hauser pop out of nowhere. :/

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Coot wrote:
I consider the Karayans black. Not every black person has Wesley Snipes skin, guys. And for the love of God, not all black cultures are from Africa and not all cultures from Africa are black.

I think the Karayans have a more Nubian look. But you cannot look at characters like Luce and Ayla and tell me they aren't black. They both have strong Africa features, and their skin tone is right. I don't know where you guys are getting Latino from. Maybe Hugo.

Hallec. How is Hallec not black?

Have you guys noticed? Only Ishikawa puts black characters into Suikoden. Kawano and King only have Asian and white people (barring an Arab or so here and there in the case of Suiko5). I hate seeing whitey everywhere. There are 100+ characters in every game, and they're always white or Asian. I too wish they would be more multicultural. I'm tired of having the series go from nation to nation, only to see white people as the dominate race/culture everywhere.

I agree with this. I never noticed how dark Hallec was. His skin color is comparable to mine.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I guess when creating the Karaya tribe and maybe Hallec´s tribe(where we only know him) the creators thought of African tribes.
Plus I bet all people from Bob´s village were Black too, so I guess since these tribes live all in the Grasslands and north of it guys like Hauser and Karen come from there?
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Karen? Black? No. Look at this and please tell me how she's black: Karen

Anyhow, I also have noticed the lack of definitively black people in Suikoden. Aside from Hauser, Samus, Bob and some Karayans, I don't see any definitively black people. Even within the Karaya clan we see there a distinct difference in skin tones. Look at Lucia and Aila and then look at Lucretia.

Maybe its just how Suikoden V's art is but if all Karayans were of black decent, then why isn't Lucretia as dark as Aila and Lucia?

And for Hallec's case, I do not think he's black at all. In fact I'd be willing to wager good money he's not. He's based on a mix of native american tribes. If you look at the native americans who lived out in Arizona and Nevada area, they have extremely dark skin, but you can't go saying they're black. Sure he has dark tones, but to say he's black when his character is clearly based on native culture, is, in my opinion, incorrect.

It was only recently I started to think that Karayans could be black because I thought they were tanned like Native Americans too, but Aila and Lucia look to much like black people to me. Maybe its Aila's character art reminding me of Rudi from the Cosby show in some way thats doing it, but those two look more black than Luce or Beecham to me. Beecham I'd say would fall more into the really tanned white dude. Same with Hugo. Luce though is a hybrid. She's got that stereotypical fat black woman thing (as portrayed often by Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence and the guy who does Medea) going for her, but there's something about her that tells me she's just a really tanned lady who loves her son. And speaking of annoying little Lulu, I don't think he looks black either. However because our character art of him has him in quite possibly the stupidest facial expression given in a Suikoden portrait, we can't look at the facial features for determination. Stupid Lulu, I hated him so much.

Sialeeds above brought up a good point though, its not just Suikoden that has given black people the shaft. How many black people do you see in Star Ocean series? or Final Fantasy? Kiros and Barret are all I can think of. Maybe Rafa and Malak from Tactics, but thats debatable. Anyhow, its not only just the Suikoden series that has given our dark skinned friends the shaft.

I think the general theory is that these worlds are not like ours, in that they have different human races, but have different animalian races. Because this is a fantasy setting, there doesn't need to be a continent of black people and a continent of asians and such. I wish there was an absolute answer to why we don't see more people like Hauser and Samus. But we don't have one, and there won't be one unless Konami all of a sudden makes a definitive black community in a Suikoden game. The Karayans are too grey area to be considered definitively black.

Ryusei wrote:
I wouldn't even consider kobolds as "people."

You racist motherf.. Thats exactly what early Americans said about blacks. You think just because they look different thay can be not labelled as people? You're a cold man Ryusei. A cold cold man. Its one thing to say they aren't human, its different to say they aren't people. If Kobolds aren't people, neither are Elves, Dwarves or any other species other than human. And I refuse to live in a world where Elves, Humans, Wingers, Kobolds, Dwarves and all the other races aren't on equal grounds as people.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Maybe its just how Suikoden V's art is but if all Karayans were of black decent, then why isn't Lucretia as dark as Aila and Lucia?

Just wanted to address this one point and give my two cents here--I think the reason that Lucretia is much paler in comparison to Lucia and Aila is because she was locked in a prison without direct sunlight for years. Also, generally speaking Karayans spend most of their time outdoors, which would give them dark tans. Lucretia, as a strategist, spends most of her time indoors.

Of course, this probably plays a little into your theory as well, however I do think that while Karayans may not be "black," I don't think they are white either. Even Lucretia seems to have darker skin tones than white people in Suikoden.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moon Knight wrote:
Karen? Black? No. Look at this and please tell me how she's black: Karen

Well that´s what also happened to me when I looked at Killeys avatar and his real character model in Suikoden V.
His face looks really brown on the sprite and in person he is just a white person.

Coming back to Karen, seeing this picture I always thought of her as "black"

And another thing: I wanna know how to describe a person in English which is "brown" hence a child of a white&black person, because everytime I talked about black people I kinda meant brown people(like myself)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: