Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2D & 3D
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 says:
Quote:
In my humble opinion, i think certain games are not suited to be tunrned into 3D games. An example of that would be Lunar:Siver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2:Eternal Blue Complete. The 2D graphics in the game are very detailed and crisp. The character sprites are cool, too.

I couldn't imagine what would Lunar 3 be like if it is 3D . It would not suit well because the Lunar games have always emphasized storytelling over graphics. An attempt to make Lunar 3 with 3D graphics would undoubtedly spell disaster.

I came to the realization that not just puzzle games are best in 2D, but also adventure games with alot of puzzles too. I think what makes 2D games so difficult (if you ever visit a Zelda message board you'll hear about how much harder aLttP was than tWW) is that they're set in a different dimension than the one we live in...I can't believe I didn't think of this before. To solve puzzles you literally have to put yourself in the character's situation, unlike in 3D, where that's pretty much done for you.

I agree that LUNAR and LUANR 2's graphics were very colorful and well-done for sprites. I've never seen the original Sega CD versions, but I can imagine that they aren't as clean and colorful as the PS2 version. I really enjoyed the graphics in the game. I don't think a shift to #d does anything against story. I can imagine the cries from Japan of people being upset that Dragon Quest/Warrior 8 (I get them confused) shifting to 3D instead of being in the traditional 2D. It doesn't matter, as long as the story is still good.

John Layfield says
Quote:
That's why there was a backlash against 3D Suikoden with the release of Suikoden III. It didn't need to be 3D at all, it just did it to try and be 'hip', as it were.

I was oblivious to the whole thing, but can imagine that a series with as many hardcore fans would be upset with change. I think it was meant to increase sales, because about 4/5 North American RPG players got introduced to the genre with a 3D game (do I have to say which one?), and are used to that way of playing. Sprites, Polygons, doesn't really matter to me. Suikoden III really sucked me in, but LUNAR 2 also did, so I think that when I play Suikoden II this summer it can do it, because I can look past the graphics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: