Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

White Knight Chronicles
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: White Knight Chronicles Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A very interesting RPG has been unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show...

It is called Shirokishi Monogatari, translated as White KnightStory, or White Knight Chronicles, and is being developed by Level 5, the creators of the Dark Cloud games, and Dragon Quest VIII. It's for the PS3, and is about 10% complete.

The story behind it is about a coming-of-age ceremony for a princess being attacked by a mysterious faction in black armour. The castle is destroyed, the king killed, but the princess is whisked away to safety.

It looks very interesting, but the real thing that made this capture my attention is it's developer, since I hold Level 5 in great esteem. However, you can form your own opinions from this gameplay movie. Personally, I find it very exciting, and I think I've just found an excellent reason to buy a PS3.

White Knight TGS Trailer

Last edited by Vertius on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with you about this game. Everyone gushing over MGS4 and FFXIII hasn't convinced me to raise my level of enthusiasm at actually buying the PS3 to add to my collection of video game consoles. But I've always enjoyed Level 5's games and Dragon Quest VIII was one of the better JRPGs Ive played in the last 5 years thats wasnt from the Suikoden franchise. Now, I just hope Level 5 doesn't rush the development of this game.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That looks interesting, but the battle system looks a tad complicated to me. I don't know why, but I've always liked a simple straight forward battle system (turn-based) if possible. But then again, if the game is great, I wouldn't mind having non turn-based battle system (Tales of Destiny and Star Ocean II came to mind).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, this game looks good. However, I'm not sure about a few things:

One, the world map. From the one little part they showed it looked like a war game type map. You know, the ones where you move pieces around a board (in this case, a map). The party appears to be simply a group of three, but so far I know nothing about the game so it might simply be a three main characters, a choice of three out of more, or it could be that only three characters were available for the party. Actually, after rewatching it, there appears to be some room for more if they stack and/or go to the left.

Next, the quest system. It appears as though you go to an area and select a certain quest to do. Seems a bit strange, to tell you the truth. We'll just have to wait and see how it comes out to make better judgement on this.

The whole transformation deal seems a little too much like 500 billion other games out there, but we'll see...
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, since they're Level 5, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They haven't yet dissapointed.

Lord Rengo wrote:
From the one little part they showed it looked like a war game type map. You know, the ones where you move pieces around a board (in this case, a map).

Back in March, Level 5 mentioned they were working on an RPG that would meld another genre into it. Looking at the start of the trailer, I'd be willing to say it is Turn-Based Strategy.

It's definitely worth keeping a close eye on in the future.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The battle system cetainly looks great and very fluid. One has to wonder if the story is as well done as the gameplay. We wouldn't want it to turn into another Grandia III, would we?

Anyway, the game sure interests me. Looking at the video, I can say the game has great potential. But the whole transformation thing is quite unoriginal though. I may add it to my PS3 games list once get to buy one.

Last edited by Ryusei on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The quest system sounds little like a melding of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's (yay!) with that of Stella Deus (boo!). If it's anywhere similar to the former's way of tracking and giving out quests then I'm all for it. But if it's much closer to that of the latter then White Knight needs to make sure to fix alot of the major flaws of that system. I trust Level 5 in creating an entertaining and good game, but only to a point.

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With the exception of the battle system and mecha stuff, this is sort of what I imagine a future Suikoden looking like on the PS3. Can't wait to see more.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it certainly looks nice, that's for sure, and really that's all that one can take from that at this stage. I too am more a fan of the "traditional" RPG, where everything is turn based. I'm not very good with having to switch between characters in real time like you had to do in the Tales games, but I'll withhold final "I'll buy it" or "Don't want it" judgement until it is actually completed and we get some reviews of it. Oh yeah, I guess I also have to wait until I have a PS3 anyways. :) Still, this does help out just a little with me deciding to stick with the PS3 in that at least they're looking like they're going to remain the predominant system for RPGs, my game of choice.

~Uguu!~
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A new trailer has been released on the Japanese PSN store, and has since, inevitably, spilled out onto the internet. It shows actual in-game cutscenes, unlike the trailer above which showed a pre-render.

I think the graphical quality is quite close to what we saw already, and it's certainly looking like it'll be a great game. It's confirmed to be in attendance at the Tokyo Game Show, so, even if Suikoden VI isn't announced, we have something to look forward to! :wink:

YouTube Link
Standard Definition Video
High Definition Video

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This games does look amazing, and I have loved Level 5 so far. So does the battle system work sort of like a combo? Are those combo skills that they put into the bars before battle, or are those just like quick-skills that they can activate on the fly? With the rest being able to use through menus and such.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not much has been announced about the battle system so far, other than what we can garner from the TGS trailer. It seems you choose abilities from a list in a way that they connect together. It reminds me of Legaia 2's battle system, in some ways. After each character goes through their move list, it moves onto another character, so it seems you're constantly switching companions.

I've been comparing the original and the new HD trailers, and it seems to me that the character models look better and more detailed than in the original trailer, but the backgrounds aren't as nice. It may have just been the particular areas they displayed, but that's what it seems like.

The song in the second trailer is stuck in my head now, after watching it so much! :D

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have some faith in this game just for the fact it's be the Level-5 guys. I may not be having much faith on the PS3 for the moment, but Level-5 Studios has always been very good in their game development. I don't doubt that they'll do a good job, at the very least, with this PS3 title.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I looked at some other clips on YouTube and the combat system looks quite interesting - I hope they manage to pull it off and make it easily usable. It reminds me a little of Zelda as I have no concept of what the options at the start of the battle were actually for.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally! A game that makes me want a PS3. One game isn't going to really do it for me, however this one game does look quite good. I have a ton of faith in Level-5 to produce not just fun games, but absolutely visually stunning games. From that trailer, it looks like they're doing their best to polish the animation as much as they can with technology they're not quite familiar with.

The animation doesn't quite make my jaw drop like the Cel-shaded movies in Rogue Galaxy-- but it does seem quite pretty.

I'd be greatly looking forward to this game if I had a PS3, however for now, I'll just have to hope it's one of many exclusives that the PS3 lose. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: