Suikoden United and Illegal Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Would a true runes effect be different if it wasnt embeded on a sword
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Would a true runes effect be different if it wasnt embeded o Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like the sovereign or night rune. What does the night rune do aside from be powerful over the undead? and the sovereign rune for that matter would it have maybe a set of spells if it wasnt on a sword? I am to understand the sovereign rune renders all runic magic useless am i correct? So what do you think, would the effect differ based on the subject?
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It makes sense to say that there would be changes in how the rune was used, but I would believe that the rune's power would be the same, basically. If the True Wind Rune, for example, could be embedded on Luc's rod, perhaps he could still invoke its power in the same exact manner, but lifting his rod instead of his right hand. It's an interesting idea, but there are better examples than the one I just gave.
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the Sovereign or Night Rune weren't in sword forms, I guess they'll finally be able to grant the owner Immortality. Because they can't do that at their states right now, :D. If the Night Rune could grant immortality, Viktor could still be his young self and he could've joined the Second Fire Bringer war in the Grassland. :D

Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Captain Hero wrote:
If the Sovereign or Night Rune weren't in sword forms, I guess they'll finally be able to grant the owner Immortality. Because they can't do that at their states right now, :D. If the Night Rune could grant immortality, Viktor could still be his young self and he could've joined the Second Fire Bringer war in the Grassland. :D

which would rule

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Sov rune is a bit of a mystery really, it seems to be different from all other runes. Its power is that of nullification, but we saw its incarination in the form of the hydra. It would most likely have a spell set like other runes but you can almost garuntee that they wouldn't be offensive. The Night Rune, however, we've seen it fight and we have a rune that we could guess is a descendant rune, the Ressurection rune (Power over death, supereffective against undead, come on they're giving this to us.) So it would be presumable that the night rune would have spells similar to that of the Rez rune, only more powerful and more extensive.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet assassin wrote:
The Sov rune is a bit of a mystery really, it seems to be different from all other runes. Its power is that of nullification, but we saw its incarination in the form of the hydra. It would most likely have a spell set like other runes but you can almost garuntee that they wouldn't be offensive. The Night Rune, however, we've seen it fight and we have a rune that we could guess is a descendant rune, the Ressurection rune (Power over death, supereffective against undead, come on they're giving this to us.) So it would be presumable that the night rune would have spells similar to that of the Rez rune, only more powerful and more extensive.

Informative and insightful.

It would seem alot of true runes have the ability to transform themselves into things, For Ex: Beast rune (a golden wolf I think), True Fire (into that dragonlike thing), Night Rune (SDS).

But there has been runes available to us, that have no spell set or statistical effect at all such as the Moon rune, Sierra had it and it did absolutely nothing if i remember correctly.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Captain Hero wrote:
If the Night Rune could grant immortality, Viktor could still be his young self and he could've joined the Second Fire Bringer war in the Grassland. :D

he could of been in it anyways. it was 15 years after suikoden 2 and viktor would be in his mid/later 40's i believe. but since we don't know what happened to him after the higheast rebellion it would be hard to say.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
Captain Hero wrote:

which would rule

And have no real impact on Viktor's character because him giving away the sword to Edge means passing on the Night Rune as well. The Sword is the Rune.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The beast rune's rincar was actually a BLUE wolf, not a golden one. However, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that the Beast rune would have a spell capable of summoning those golden wolves if it were battle ready. I'm not entirely convinced that the Zodiac sword is a rincar as all the others we've seen have been animal forms (Hydra, wolf, bird.)

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

good point, then what is the SDS? is it a rune embedded on a sword, like the sovereign rune on prakk? or is it the rune itself?

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
good point, then what is the SDS? is it a rune embedded on a sword, like the sovereign rune on prakk? or is it the rune itself?

I believe the Sar Dragon Sword is the Rune itself. If I remember correctly, the Rune decided to take on the form of a sword for reasons that are yet to be revealed. I think this was revealed when the sword meets Sierra in Suikoden 2 though you shouldn't hold me to that as my memory tends to fail me from time to time.

As for whether the Night Rune would have a set of spells, I'd think it would. However, it would be up to the game designers(if they ever have the Night Rune return to its rune form) if they give it spells or not. I mean, we have the Blue Moon, Dragon, and probably a few others who have no spells revealed to us. They could very well do that to the Night Rune as well. As for which rune could've been derived from the Night Rune I agree that the Resurrection Rune is a big possibility. It sure fits in with the whole idea of being strong against Undead enemies and all that. However, the rune itself doesn't really strike me as if it came from the Night Rune. I mean, the Resurrsection Rune has a more "Holy" kind of feel while the Night Rune seems to govern the creatures of the night, which would be why the Star Dragon Sword can vanquish vampires.

Hmm, I might have to think more about this as it is a pretty interesting topic.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that the SDS is an incarnation of the Night Rune. Well, since there are not MANY swords in the Suikoden World that are.....related to the True Runes..it is really really hard to say.

Well, lets compare what we know about the SDS and what LITTLE we know about the SOV Sword.

SDS
- SDS talks, complains and can move around on its own...
- SDS is seems to be able to cast spells on its own...LIGHTING BLASTS anyone?
- SDS does NOT grant immortallity?
- All holders of the SDS doesn't seem to be able to invoke any special powers of the blade...other then swinging it around

SOV
- We never saw it talk or move around
- It has automatically activated anti-rune powers, just like SDS's automatic fatal-to-undead-if-you-hit-them-with-me powers
- Also does not grant Immortality
- Well, Babarossa turned into a frickin' Hydra with it!!!

Then problem is further complicated by the fact that the wielders of the two blades are very different and we never knew if Barbs is good at magic or not...At least we know that Vik sucks at it...
Lets assume that Barbs is not magically skilled and his level of competancy is like..around Vik's. Not surprising...He SEEMED TO BE more of a warrior king then a Hikusaak-like mage-king.

Then some generalisations can be made for both swords.

1) Only Runes that was embedded in the body of a True Rune Holder will grant immortality or residual immortality (in Sierra's case)

2) Any weapon that has a link of a Rune, be it being imbedded on or being and incrantion of the said rune, automatically grants the weapon certain special properties that does NOT need to be invoked by the user to be active.

However, since the SDS displays a HIGH degree of automity while the SOVS doesn't, I will jump the gun and say that SDS is an incarnation of the Night Rune..while SOVS is a True Rune Embedded in a Sword. Because the Night Rune seems much more in control of its "current form" as opposed to to SOVS which seem docile..if not unliving and object-like.
The Night Rune can deny its powers to its wielders (such as Viktor being unable to use the same spells it used against the party in S2) yet can invoke those powers as an when it pleases it. While the SOVS is never seen without its wielder and seems to always lends its powers to its wielder (shaky..I'll admit...)
In this case, whether the invoking of power is tied to the level of magical competance is not a factor..as we already assume that Barbs and Viks are both relatively unskilled magic users...Its kind of a strench but work with me here kay?
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when is it stated that Hikusaak is good with magic?
anyway. I must say I agree with Rainrir the most so far.

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assume...since he is called the Priest king and the fact that his clones are all kickass magicians...The the 164th rule of RPG mechanics states powerful priests and powerful mages are pretty much BOTH powerful magic users. They just use their talents differently.

Think of it as Black Mage casting Nuke! would own..but White Mage casting Nuke! wouldn't suck either.

I could be wrong though...but I cannot imagine what the Luc fangirls/boys will say...OR do to me should I imply that Hikusaak has Luc face but Long Chan-Chan's Body....
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet assassin wrote:
The Sov rune is a bit of a mystery really, it seems to be different from all other runes. Its power is that of nullification, but we saw its incarination in the form of the hydra. It would most likely have a spell set like other runes but you can almost garuntee that they wouldn't be offensive.

What was seen was an incarnation, not its incarnation. All throguhout the game Barbarossa was mentioned as the one in control of the Dragon Knights, and besides Prakk (which he subsequently gave away) his sword reflected that, in the Dragon King Sword. The sword itself given the timeframe Suikoden is based in could very well be significant in its incarnation. As the sword during medieval times was associated with the act of military power or jurisdiction. If we take the Sovereign rune as the instrument of control, if you will over other true runes then its quite possible that its incarnation is simply the manifestation of what the 'jurisdiction' and thus ruler percieved as their power (in which case it was Barbarossa's linking with dragons).

So one could speculate that the Sovereign runes manifestation would be ever changing depending on who has it and their interpretation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: