Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Game Go
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: The Game Go Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have recently gotten hooked to a game called Go. Go is an ancient Chinese game that predates chess and it's incredibly complex to learn to become good at but incredibly easy tolearn at first. Does anybody here play Go or has heard of it? I'd love to discuss strategy and possibly get an online game with anybody who would want toplay.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never played go in real life, but I gave it shot once or twice online, however when I lived in Japan there was a channel on cable that only ever showed people playing these traditional games like Go and some others. I kind of know the basic rules, but I'm far from being able to win against anyone :p
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nihilive

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isn't that the one they play in Pi with the partially flattened white and black pieces?
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nihilive wrote:
Isn't that the one they play in Pi with the partially flattened white and black pieces?

Yes. The mathematics in the game are incredibly complex. Somebody was doing game theory for the game and had to come up with the idea of "surreal numbers" to more accurately portray and predict the game.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

INTRISTING GO NEVER HEARD OF IT BUT SOUNDS GOOD ONE OF YOU GUYS GET BACK TO ME AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT GIVE ME INFO

PLUS IM A BEGGINER
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Slayer Prince you have 12 hours to clean up your act and show you can post like a human being. All caps are not tolerated in these forums, especially with spelling as horrible as what you displayed there. If you want to be a member of this community then you need to put in effort to communication in an intelligent manner. If we don't see any improvement forthcoming from your posts in the next 12 hours you will be banned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The post 2 slots above hurts my brain...

As for this "Go" game, I've never played it, much less seen it here in the States. It was featured in some manga I read once though...

My preferred "cerebral"(sp, whatever) game is Texas Hold'Em. :wink:

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

slayerprince wrote:
INTRISTING GO NEVER HEARD OF IT BUT SOUNDS GOOD ONE OF YOU GUYS GET BACK TO ME AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT GIVE ME INFO

PLUS IM A BEGGINER

Try and talk more like this:

"Interesting. Go? Never heard of it but it sounds interesting. Could someone here please explain to me a bit more about this game.

By the way I'm a beginner (what am I talking about here exactly?)."

Well in any case, there's a caps lock button on ur keyboard. Make sure you keep the damn thing off and there are also these things called punctuations, quite handy I assure you.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm getting a feeling that this guy's gonna be Ashes mark II, Gaara.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Japan Club here at the university had a "go night" last semester. That was the first I heard of it. I didn't have the time to go check it out. A guy in my class briefly explained it, but I've forgotten. But according to him, it's a lot of fun.

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yay! Go! Go is great!

Mr. Garra wrote:
Well in any case, there's a caps lock button on ur keyboard. Make sure you keep the damn thing off and there are also these things called punctuations, quite handy I assure you.

OMG... Classic, just... Classic.

*ahem* So, what is go, you say? Simply put, it's an ancient chinese game played on a grid-like board. The board essentially looks like a big sheet of graph paper, and the two opposing players place white or black stones at the intersections of the lines. I probably should know more about go, but from what I can tell the object is to surround another player's stones, with your own stones. That's about the best I can describe it. The strategies of the game can get incredibly complex, and difficult to understand.

ALSO... I should mention that this game is the main focus of the Anime "Hikaru no Go," of which my name and Avatar come from. Sai is a ghost who befriends the main character, Hikaru and instructs him how to play go. He's also a super-genious... And well, a little goofy, too...

WATCH THE ANIME! It really is one of the best Anime's I've ever seen, and I would place it at #2 in my all time list. Not only that... But, after the first few episodes, there is an actual professional player who shows the viewers a lesson on how to play go. (I never ended up watching those, as I was HOOKED on the Anime itself...) It seems like a really fun and interesting game. But, it also seems like it would be even more difficult to master than chess...

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

ALSO... I should mention that this game is the main focus of the Anime "Hikaru no Go," of which my name and Avatar come from. Sai is a ghost who befriends the main character, Hikaru and instructs him how to play go. He's also a super-genious... And well, a little goofy, too...

*snaps fingers*

THAT'S what I saw it in! Though that was a manga...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, "Hikaru no Go" originated as a manga, and is currently being released in English in the US Shonen Jump. The manga ended recently after 19 (I believe) volumes, though the anime has yet to be licensed in English, to my knowledge. It's funny how, at first, Sai's emotional reactions literally make Hikaru sick until Hikaru reluctantly agrees to play Go.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:
But, it also seems like it would be even more difficult to master than chess...

Well, yes and no. Go is an extremely complex game and there are many stories about it.. Chess really only has one or two stories behind it; but in one case (go) the rules are extremely simple, the board is wide, the goal is obvious, and the game is REALLY COMPLICATED ...
In the other case (chess), the rules are tricky and many, the board is small, the game is REALLY COMPLICATED ... ;-)
Although, in truth, there are (super)computers who can "play" chess, and none can "play" go, so I suppose that answers the question.

Little legends of chess:
The Shah in Persia was bored and asked for people to invent a game to relieve his boredom (poor man, if he had the Internet he'd have invented a gun to shoot himself in the foot) and a simple man came up with chess. "checkmate" comes from the sentence that means, "The king is dead", and I am sorry that I cannot give the exact, correct sentence, but it sounds something like "shak mat".
When asked for what reward he wanted, the little man said that all he wanted was one grain of rice for the first square, two for the second square, four for the third square, and so on doubling. The Shah was surprised that the man asked for so little.. Until he tried and realized that the man had asked for 2^63+2^62+2^61+ ... + 2^1+2^0 grains of rice which is a hell of a lot more than China's actual yearly production (very, very much more!).

Little legend of Go..
Two samurai had started a game of Go. They were both very proficient at it and thereforce calculated their moves with interest. Sometimes, a day went by without them playing. They would get up in the morning, go about their chores, come back, sit in front of the board and ponder. And so, ten years had gone by and the game had quite evolved into a very intricate pattern.
As those who play Go will know, the board is wide and played with black and white round tokens... So you can imagine the kind of pattern. It happened that one day while they were gone, a western woman and her servant, ignorant of the game, came by (their vessel might have sinked, the circumstances don't matter) and entered the house to refresh themselves and rest. Upon discovering the game, the lady said, "Oh, look at this, it's beautiful! But it's just not quite that pretty.. Let me rearrange this."
I can see the gasps of horror that many of you are showing now, shocked at the destruction of the game...
The Samurai came back and prepared to draw their swords when they saw the women, but those two showed in fear that they had cleaned the small house, which had become quite dirty (Samurai though they were, they were also men and quite messy with many things). The Samurai calmed down until they noticed the Go board, rearranged in a very beautiful mosaic pattern and screamed in panic. At last one of them said, "Honorable friend, I believe this makes me the winner."
The other one looked at the board carefully and said, "Honorable friend, I hate to contradict you but it seems that victory is mine..."
And they sat and looked at the board, and the two women lived with them fulfilling chores, safe, thanks to the beautiful, complicated pattern they had made on the board, while the two samurai discussed who had become the winner.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer a good ole fashioned game of Stratego, thank you very much. My spy will always bring down the house.....*looks around and runs away, as he is boggled by the concept of this "Go" game.*

Sounds kinda fun.

Quote:

Little legend of Go..
Two samurai had started a game of Go. They were both very proficient at it and thereforce calculated their moves with interest. Sometimes, a day went by without them playing. They would get up in the morning, go about their chores, come back, sit in front of the board and ponder. And so, ten years had gone by and the game had quite evolved into a very intricate pattern.
As those who play Go will know, the board is wide and played with black and white round tokens... So you can imagine the kind of pattern. It happened that one day while they were gone, a western woman and her servant, ignorant of the game, came by (their vessel might have sinked, the circumstances don't matter) and entered the house to refresh themselves and rest. Upon discovering the game, the lady said, "Oh, look at this, it's beautiful! But it's just not quite that pretty.. Let me rearrange this."
I can see the gasps of horror that many of you are showing now, shocked at the destruction of the game...
The Samurai came back and prepared to draw their swords when they saw the women, but those two showed in fear that they had cleaned the small house, which had become quite dirty (Samurai though they were, they were also men and quite messy with many things). The Samurai calmed down until they noticed the Go board, rearranged in a very beautiful mosaic pattern and screamed in panic. At last one of them said, "Honorable friend, I believe this makes me the winner."
The other one looked at the board carefully and said, "Honorable friend, I hate to contradict you but it seems that victory is mine..."
And they sat and looked at the board, and the two women lived with them fulfilling chores, safe, thanks to the beautiful, complicated pattern they had made on the board, while the two samurai discussed who had become the winner.

See, now that's a legend, that should live on through the ages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: