Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Favourite Beat'em'up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which are you favourite?
Tekken series
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Fatal Fury series/ SNK
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Dead or Alive series
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Mortal Kombat series
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Street Fighter series
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Marvel vs SNK vs Capcom series
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Killer instinct
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jojo's bizare adventure
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other -describe-
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 22

Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Favourite Beat'em'up Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well then people... just like it says on the title... what's your favourite fighting game... 2D, 3D, old, new? why? what makes you like it?

*Edit... no one's posting yet so i'll answer first...*

Well first of all I would say that I love all beat 'em' up games... well those that are average and above anyway... firstly I chose the Dead or Alive series as my favourite... why, they have great character designs just like any other game... bonebreaking and unique moves and skills which leaves people dumbstruck and in aww feeling every punch behind almost everymove... the tag team matches are the highlights of this game as well as the versus modes are as well... well that was just a brief for those of you that don't want to read the details that I will now type down from the heart... this is for all you fighting gamelovers aight... and for dead or alive 3 on the Xbox...

Graphics - Outstanding can be the word for this part... truly the first game to have great fighting game graphics and a very well deserved game this is... Character animation is absolutely fantastic... Arena backgrounds and landscapes are phenomenal... The realism includes realistic snow slowly falling or a fast snow storm, fire and even wild animals on what seems to be an African plain... Character interaction with the arenas is amazing too. Falling through floors and off of bridges, characters slamming into electrically charged walls, even pavement destruction when a character is slammed into the ground! you could get flying kicked out of a building to the outside in the streets of Hong Kong, then outside you may have the enemy hit every electric light and advertising thing on the way down lol As for costumes... wow... There are so many. The costumes are diverse and well varied and really give players something to shoot for when playing story mode. I remember spending hours trying to unlock every costume for every charater in the story mode and survival mode... which is really... hmm... not challenging... fun. They deserve extra credit! Then, there is the final boss stage. Screen distortions and season changes make this place an unexpected marvel, although the distortions make it difficult to see. But that is the strategy of the boss. He doesn't do it by accident... So overall I would give this game top marks for it's graphics of it's time...

Sound -No complaints about the sound really. Fighting sounds are good, explosion and impact sounds are certainly good, every punch an kick can be heard and when they have their heads smack on to the ground you'd feel for them... and want more!. I have not really listened to the music all that much. The voices are very well done. One thing the sound crew could have done was to make different characters speak different languages depending on their country of origin, I actually thought that that would be rather cool... It seems kind of silly to have a Russian character speaking Japanese lol. Anyway, I wouldn't take off points for that. I cannot recall any fighting game that has that kind of language feature in the voices of its characters...but the sounds in this game are ver well done...

Gameplay -The play control is excellent well in my opinion anyway. I already mentioned the interaction between the characters and their environments and the way they smack on the ground and so on, but that was to stress graphics and animation. This aspect is even better and more fun when it comes to gameplay hehehe. Adding this feature gives players even more to strive for. Beating an opponent no longer simply means hitting them until they run out of health, but now involves aspects like trying to knock them off of a cliff, into an exploding barrier or hammering them into a nearby wals and glass and fire lit torches... yeah.... Each characters has numerous moves and numerous combination potentials. This differs from many of the old fighting games. There is just so much more to do. Randomly mashing buttons yields more varied results. Moves are not overly complicated, so executing certain techniques intentionally is effective too, making this a good game for beginners and veterans alike. It is very timing-based. Attacking with powerful moves is not as important as timing your attacks to hit just before your opponent does. You can mash buttons, you can use developed strategy or you could do anything in between...

Replayability -You can unlock over a hundred costumes, you can play in many different game modes like team battle, survival, time attack, tag team. This game is VERY replayable. Another thing I would like to mention is AI adaptation. I play with several of my friends and the two of them that are the good at it but they can never beat me. The AI becomes confused when the player's strategy changes dramatically. It will be used to certain moves and will become slightly flustered when it does not see those moves and see other moves instead. This theory has been tested innumerable times by my friends and me. It makes the game more fun especially when many are around to play. It is awesome for everyone!

well all the other fighting games are great... especially the unpopular ones which have hidden unique features and such... a good example would be Kakuto Chojin... anyone heard of it? JoJo's bizarre adventure... with tons of great unlockables and minigames and such... I love the beat em up genre...

I have all the Dead or alives but the first one (including dead or alive beach volleyball... but I don't really like it) I have all the Tekkens... but gave my playstation 2 away so I can't say it's mine really but I will make that person buy Tekken 5 which will be a bomb! I have all the soul blade and soul calibur... apart from soul calibur 1... I have most of the street fighters and most of the mortal kombat series as well... I like them all... but decided to choose oe out of all of them...

well JNX out...

Last edited by Deleted User 1 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dead or Alive Series KICKASS fighting and gravity defying B-er never mind.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tekken, all-around favorite.
It has a touch of realism that no others have (and it gets more and more realistic, although Tekken 5 has Blade.. *sigh* I guess before they had a kangaroo, a devil, an angel, an ogre.. they're getting better.. ?
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They are the most realistic... if you take away the devil, ogre, little dinosaur (Gon) all the jacks, angel, boxing kangaroo, alex the dinosaur, yoshimitsu and Jin... who is half demon... and so is (SPOILER MAYBE heihachi who is killed in Tekken 5 and revived as the Devil like creature)

well also you would have to take off all that aura and fire surrounding the players everytime they do a special move and get hit and hit others...lol
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The aura and fire is representative of the concentration of Ki, just like Dragon Ball Z and the "fireballs" are just overexaggeration of ki usage.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well... can you see ki here or there? I don't think so, which means not realistic... if you can see it in the game why not in life? case closed...
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, there are people who can see auras and energy to a certain extent.
Case re-opened.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah but they're drunk or just halucinating lol case closed again...
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, no, there are scientific studies done about auras.
My sensei has shown me how she could 'control' a crystal's movement with her aura, making it go in a circle or straight.. And I was paying attention to her body, she wasn't moving but the crystal was.
And then she stopped the crystal.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

control a crystal ball with her aura? yeah right... got ay proof of this?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Games in general tend to be unrealistic, fighting games are no exception. The overexaggeration of qi is part of the whole madness that makes them appealing. As such no fighting is truly realistic, though the general movement has been to increase the realism by cutting down on qi and exotic characters.

Speaking of realism, Guilty Gear is probably the most unrealistic fighter out there. That's why I love it. Well, that and it's really damn fun. It plays damn fast, it's filled with hilariouly colorful characters, it's got some great music, it looks beautiful, and it just plain oozes with deliciously odd personality. It's just... awesome.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
Games in general tend to be unrealistic, fighting games are no exception. The overexaggeration of qi is part of the whole madness that makes them appealing. As such no fighting is truly realistic, though the general movement has been to increase the realism by cutting down on qi and exotic characters.

... hmm... but that is the idea of games... to take you to another world, like a fantasy made real for a while... but made to be interactive and well... relivable again and again :)

anyway... I am terribly sorry for not including the guilty gear series... I enjoyed it as well... and sorry to those for not including the bloody roar series as well... I know that these are unique and rather popular fighting games that I have forgotten to put in... hmm... what else is popular that I forgot to put in... hmm... oh DragonBall budokai series... the third one looks rather good if you ask me and it has some fast action and disgusting combos! real interesting games now a days are getting... real interesting...
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked 'Other' for the same reason as Shrew. I loooooove the Guilty Gear series. The characters are such a great variety with insane back stories and moves. The graphics are highly detailed and colorful. The gameplay shreds and has great response. Finally the soundtrack is the best I've ever heard from a video game, and the characters' names and moves are based on heavy metal legends. :mrgreen:
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crono wrote:
I picked 'Other' for the same reason as Shrew. I loooooove the Guilty Gear series. The characters are such a great variety with insane back stories and moves. The graphics are highly detailed and colorful. The gameplay shreds and has great response. Finally the soundtrack is the best I've ever heard from a video game, and the characters' names and moves are based on heavy metal legends. :mrgreen:
Sorry if this is off topic but I have a question for Crono; what rock legend is Sol Badguy based on? Because he is totally awesome.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am stuck between Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear XX. Both games are incredibly insane, fast paced and complex. MVC2 has the massive character count and the three at a time fighting, but GGXX has the diversity and incredible character design. I think in have to go with MVC2 though, because I lovebeing able to be Magneto, a cactus and a six armed fighter all at once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: