Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

mod chip...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor MacLeod

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: mod chip... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not positive if this is in the right forum. Sorry. Any place where I can get hooked up with a mod chip for my PS2? I just got my Gaidens back and seem to be lacking one.
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD: 2004-07,GGLD:en&q=mod+chip+ps2

Lotsa resources available on the net. Can purchase one and install it, or even buy a PS2 with it already installed (probably find a good deal like that on Ebay, I would imagine). Also, there's "swap discs" which you can look into - Another way of playing "back-up" copies of games, or out of region games, this one doesn't void your warrenty however. I also believe there's a way to use a Gameshark to do it. Hope that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No illegal content is to be posted here even if it is Suikoden related!!! Use MSN or outside contact methods for that. Closed!!!
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd just like to point out that mod-chips are not illegal provided they are only used for the purpose of IMPORTING games from international sources. So I will re-open this topic tentatively, however should the discussion turn onto illegally copied games then it will be closed again. So you can continue to discuss how to play imported games such as the Suikogaidens on a non-Japanese system. But it will be monitored heavily, so let's keep it on imports and not let it turn to piracy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are actually quite a large number of importable games that I would love to play. Generations of Chaos series for the Playstation two comes to mind as one. Along with any number of games around only in Japan that i would simply love to get my hands on. Unfortunately as it stands right now I dont know of any places where I can get my Playstation two modded for importing games. I still find that modding a system so you can illegally play copied games and anything of the sort is sad and pathetic.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A mod chip wouldn't do much for me, I don't speak Japanese, nor do I have the know-how...

BTW, love thy conrad, you should stop by the Highland board once in a while...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben, I'm not too sure, but I can strongly remember the UK law changing quite recenently (last 6 months) when I heard that Mod Chips had been made illegal in the UK full stop.

That obviously wouldn't stretch to other countries, but you never know what might happen...

Does the Swap Disc method work? I know they're not illegal.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was illegal to install a mod chip in your playstation in your US. Using a mod chip counts as attempting to route digital encoding, as far as I understand, which implies a criminal activity. Code-cracking can actually grant you a sentence worse than murder.

Routing this bootup code, whether it's the Region codes or the boot-up sequence for pirated games, may be illegal regardless of if you intend to import games. If you're found installing mod-chips for people as a commercial store front, I would not be surprised to see that as a target.

In Canada, the story's a lot different.

In any case, getting a system modded isn't actually that cheap, at least not in Canada, where it can cost up to $150 to get a chipped PS2. The price is probably significantly less elsewhere, but with $150, you can pretty much buy yourself a Japanese PS2 (though that doesn't solve the problem of TV encoding; not sure if the power is the same or not.)
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are games which I'd love to have been able to play, such as the Suikogaidens, but the inability to read Japanese really restricts the enjoyment I'd get out of it. I'm also not a fan of doing anything which would void the warranty, though I'm sure the warranty plan on my PS2 has already expired but the added cost of a mod chip (as seen here) is also enough to convince me against the idea.

Pirated games, of course, I have no interest in. Whenever I buy used games, it has to at least come with the packaging (and instructions, if possible) as the official package looks far better on my game shelf than a generic jewel case thrown in.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm... mod chips... I have heard of them and can order them on sites... but never have I thought of getting one for the PS2... if it allows suikogaiden then that's great... but with no english version it's as good as unplayable...

instead there is a different way to enable your PS2 to do what the modchip does... I don't exactly know but I have seen some men burn something in the PS2 (some little metal thing, they melted it, added some little wire and such) and then told the man what to do this and that and that if there is a problem he can come back and get a new PS2...
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That just sounds like he was soldering in a mod chip.....

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

but ain't a mod chip a small piece that you put in? instead of a wire... hmm... oh well, my bad then...
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No bad, don't worry about it.

Maybe I mis-understood? Was the PS2 case open so you could see all the circuits etc...?

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I paid for all my Gaidens with hard earned money. Er, actually, my brother paid for his Gaidens in Japan with his hard earned money. So the only illegal activity that I know of going on here was the infiltration of my brother's room.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure a mod chip is something you have to get like, installed inside the playstation 2. My bro just went off to college and took his with him, so I'm stuck with mine now.

If it's an illegal thing to do this then I just won't bother, I can always play it on epsxe which I know is legal. I don't want anyone on this board, namely me, to get in trouble.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is this a PSX 1 game?

If that's the case you're going to save yourself AT LEAST $40 by playing it on epsxe, as well as the potential legal troubles and so forth, unless of course, you're planning on buying more imports.

Frankly, if you're not pirating and not planning to get PS2 import games, it's a waste to mod just for one PSX game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: