Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Thoughts on Suikoden II's Ending (Massive Spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ahiru

Demon Duckizzards of Doom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Thoughts on Suikoden II's Ending (Massive Spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I beat Suikoden II for a third time (Woo-hoo!) I can't help but realize again how much I dislike the official ending for the game. I understand Konami's thinking that the "best" and official ending should also be the happiest, but I see it as more of a cop-out. Call me cynical, but I just can't see Riou, Jowy and Nanami living happily ever after, especially after the horrible things they've put each other through. Even though I hate Jowy, one of the reasons I like the "second" ending more is that it portrays him in a much better light. He repents and Riou puts him out of his misery. In the real ending, Leknaat basically says that fate decided what he would do and that he doesn't need to feel too badly about it - It was all the Rune.

As for Nanami, I can certainly understand Nanami fans preferring the official ending (I'm just not a Nanami fan). But by having her live, one of the most powerful scened in all of video games is robbed of its impact. It certainly was for me when I later found out she would live. I almost felt cheated, conned into feeling so much emotion for Riou.

And finally, with regard to Riou himself, I guess it's possible that some people would want to run away from the incredible responsibility of forming a new country. But at the same time I have a little trouble believing that a man who commanded the lives of thousands upon thousands and worked endlessly to bring peace would just turn around and leave it in the hands of others. He knows first-hand the price of trusting someone too much.

So what do you all undoubtedly smarter guys and gals think? Do you agree with me that the "alternate" ending is more fitting? Or am I just being a stick-in-the-mud for not thinking the game should have a happier ending?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Call me cynical, but I just can't see Riou, Jowy and Nanami living happily ever after, especially after the horrible things they've put each other through.

Cynical!!! j/k Seriously though, while they had done bad things to each other, you must also take into account that they had been the closest friends for years. They learned martial arts together, they grew up together, and so on. It's not so easy to just forget about it once Jowy apologized. As good friends, it was quite normal to forgive and let bygones be bygones.

Quote:
In the real ending, Leknaat basically says that fate decided what he would do and that he doesn't need to feel too badly about it - It was all the Rune.

Well it's quite a fact that there was a curse for 2 close people to fight each other over the rune. So there was nothing that Jowy could've done at the beginning about it. What makes it great is that in the end, both Riou and Jowy managed to break the curse due to their friendship.

Quote:
As for Nanami, I can certainly understand Nanami fans preferring the official ending (I'm just not a Nanami fan). But by having her live, one of the most powerful scened in all of video games is robbed of its impact. It certainly was for me when I later found out she would live. I almost felt cheated, conned into feeling so much emotion for Riou.

Well it's just following the theme in Suikoden 1 where you got someone dead and in the end turned out to be alive.

Quote:
And finally, with regard to Riou himself, I guess it's possible that some people would want to run away from the incredible responsibility of forming a new country. But at the same time I have a little trouble believing that a man who commanded the lives of thousands upon thousands and worked endlessly to bring peace would just turn around and leave it in the hands of others. He knows first-hand the price of trusting someone too much.

While I personally think that Riou would've made an excellent president of Dunan, I can understand that he was still a young kid anyway. The burden he had taken during the Dunan Unification War was probably already too much, and in the end, it's only sensible that he wanted time out of the whole mess.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definitely agree with you, for pretty much the same reasons you listed. The scene with Nanami is very powerful, and to "revive" characters that die has never really sat well with me. I also like the idea of Jowy dying for following what he believed in. Perhaps not the happiest of endings, but that severe 'loyalty' is a trait I respect very highly. Having him live, after (kind of) leading Highland to its destruction, is not something I feel is very fair. Not necessarily because Jowy should be punished, but because dying for your cause seems more noble than losing, then being saved by 'friendship'.

I really like Jowy. So it kind of sounds like I want him to die.. But that's just the better ending. That's the best way I can put it, anyway; dherder222 definitely covered it well already.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, Dherder, you make some well rounded points. I agree with you very much, though I never thought the "best" ending was the official ending. The 2nd ending where Jowy dies is far more dramatic and realistic for all the reasons you mentioned, however I don't have any qualms with the "best" ending because throughout the entire game Nanami and Jowy are proclaiming their great desire to have things back to normal. Riou is frequently given the option to wish for this as well. With such a strong underlining theme I can't help but want for them to be together again. It's also inspiring that they were able to defy fate and go against their rune's commandment, which imo is also a strong theme in the game.

I defiantly agree that the best ending cheapens Nanami's death, which is certainly one of the most impactful RPG scenes in history (much better than the cheesy FMV where Aeris takes one for the team). The death is much more real because Nanami's taken to the doctor and you have to wait outside with everyone for the results. It's quite a shock the first time Huan apologizes and says he did all he could. But watching the scene again now, knowing that Nanami survives and merely and cruelly lying to you about her demise really cheapens the scene.

At any rate, great topic, I hope others have more to add.
Col Ahiru

Demon Duckizzards of Doom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Seriously though, while they had done bad things to each other, you must also take into account that they had been the closest friends for years. They learned martial arts together, they grew up together, and so on. It's not so easy to just forget about it once Jowy apologized. As good friends, it was quite normal to forgive and let bygones be bygones.

I don't know, dude - If my best friend sent assassins after me, tried to kill me repeatedly *and* sided with the kingdom whose ruler just killed my sister (Even if he did help me kill the guy in turn), I'd have a *very* tough time forgiving him. Not knowing that Nanami was still alive and that he was repenting right in front of me, I have almost no doubt I'd have killed him if I was Riou's shoes.

Quote:

Well it's just following the theme in Suikoden 1 where you got someone dead and in the end turned out to be alive.

Which they thankfully haven't done since. Mad Mage is right, it just feels...wrong. It was a little better with Gremio, but I still wish he had been kept dead. There's no greater honor in dying to protect someone you love, methinks.

Quote:

Having him live, after (kind of) leading Highland to its destruction, is not something I feel is very fair. Not necessarily because Jowy should be punished, but because dying for your cause seems more noble than losing, then being saved by 'friendship'.

Exactly, Rocky. You could make a comparison with Seed and Culgan. Culgan's last words are "At least we get to die with our country." While that's very sad (Since I liked both of them), it's also very eloquent. If America were ever invaded and taken over by some foreign army, I imagine I'd feel the same way, preferring to never have to see my homeland become a colony of another place. But in the official ending Jowy gets to just walk out of there.

Quote:

With such a strong underlining theme I can't help but want for them to be together again. It's also inspiring that they were able to defy fate and go against their rune's commandment, which imo is also a strong theme in the game.

True, and I thought that for what the ending was, it was done pretty well (Now if they had had Pilika and Jillia joining in on the adventure, it would have been a bit much.) I just think the second ending is a more fitting way to end the game.

Quote:

But watching the scene again now, knowing that Nanami survives and merely and cruelly lying to you about her demise really cheapens the scene.

SERIOUSLY!!! Geez, I know Nanami feels bad, but how cruel can she be to her own brother? If she wanted to leave, run away and leave a little note. Riou would still be bummed, but it's a heck of a lot better than him thinking she's dead! I think that it would have been better if Shu had told (Or even forced) her to run away until the war is over - It makes Shu the jerk instead of Nanami, and since we already know he's a jerk we wouldn't put it past him for a second. ;)

Quote:

At any rate, great topic, I hope others have more to add.

Thank you! Nothing makes me happier than debating philosophical points about video games. :)
RubiRubi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Nanami was alive even in the other endings i only got the good one once but in all of them people in Kyro talk about a gohst at your dojo.
I thought that was Nanami and she faked her death with doctor Huan and went back there and ownly jions you if you let jowy live.
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Exactly, Rocky. You could make a comparison with Seed and Culgan. Culgan's last words are "At least we get to die with our country." While that's very sad (Since I liked both of them), it's also very eloquent. If America were ever invaded and taken over by some foreign army, I imagine I'd feel the same way, preferring to never have to see my homeland become a colony of another place. But in the official ending Jowy gets to just walk out of there.

Seed and Culgan are the first people that come to mind when I think Highland. Such loyalty, as always, is something I respect. Not only did they die serving their country, they died together, as brothers in arms... Just as Jowy should have died after losing a duel to Riou at the very end of the game.

When Nanami died, that was huge. But now, upon playing the game through a second time, that scene won't affect me essentially at all. "The series that shall not be named VII", that death scene isn't more powerful than Nanami's. It's simply made more powerful by the fact Nanami's is a fake >.<

Shu is definitely like Zhuge Liang, of Three Kingdoms (Shu) fame. He gets things done, but his methods are... Fairly dishonorable, unjust, dirty, that sort of thing. I like Shu, but I don't like Zhuge Liang, as you can tell =P The two are definitely relatable, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well said about the death scene being powerful... I couldn't have said it better... I think some honour points should be on the way for that...

well Zhuge liang is good... but Sima is better, but gets the worst life... as you might know shu falls first... but not because of Zhuge but because of liu bei... well better not continue off topic eh...

The ending does seem to be a sort of second idea.. out of the others...
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That fake death spoilt what would have otherwise been a truly heartwrenching scene. At least, Gremio's was the real deal.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually prefered the Gremio one as well... the music... the words oh memories :cry: :)
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the perfect ending, even though I realize it doesn't sit very well. After all the crap they went through, Riou totally forgave and accepted Jowy once more. If I were Jowy, I would feel kinda guilty because of that kindness, but Riou wouldn't want his friend to feel that way. Throughout the game, you just know that if Riou was able to drop his responsibility and run away from it all he would have. But he knew what he had to do, and he had to first fulfill his duties as the leader of the Alliance. Saving Jowy and Nanami is really Riou's reward. Don't you think he earned it? a boy, adopted son of a Jowston hero, inherits half of a True Rune and takes the roll of leader of the alliance?

Rocky, you make some excellent points about Culgan and Seed, but don't forget that Jowy was also ready to die at the end. He made arrangements so Jillia and Pilika could live in peace at the cost of himself, for as long as the Blight name lived on the conflict would not truly be over. He chose to die in that final duel knowing that it would only cause more suffering to his people if he lived. So when you talk about people willing to sacrifice themselves for their cause, don't diminish Jowy.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dherder222 wrote:
I don't know, dude - If my best friend sent assassins after me, tried to kill me repeatedly *and* sided with the kingdom whose ruler just killed my sister (Even if he did help me kill the guy in turn), I'd have a *very* tough time forgiving him. Not knowing that Nanami was still alive and that he was repenting right in front of me, I have almost no doubt I'd have killed him if I was Riou's shoes.

Which is exactly why it really shows how powerful and tight their friendship is. Most people (including myself) would've done the same as you are, but that's the point. To be able to see beyond the normal thing to do. Riou felt that Jowy wanted to achieve the same thing as he did, to bring peace to Dunan. It just happened that they had different ways of achieving it. That's why I really adore Riou as a character. Most people say that he had no personality etc, but I felt that he had deep personality though shown through his actions instead of words.

Quote:
Which they thankfully haven't done since. Mad Mage is right, it just feels...wrong. It was a little better with Gremio, but I still wish he had been kept dead. There's no greater honor in dying to protect someone you love, methinks.

I think you should give it a chance by looking at things from different perspective. I can understand what you (and Mad Mage) meant with the dead should be dead to not devalue their death scenes. But I think in Nanami's case, the focus of the attention should've been on how Nanami was willing to keep on playing the "big sister" role to indirectly protect Riou by faking her death. She knew that she would've been a burden to him, and with her characteristic of being an overprotective big sister, it really took a lot of effort and maturity by her to allow herself to step out of the picture. Especially considering that it was her own idea, and not forced by Shu or other people.

But yeah, I can understand what you meant. Death scene is supposed to be powerful, but I believe that it was actually a good thing that Nanami faked her death, it gives deeper personality and better character development to her. She grew throughout the game from the bossy big sister into accepting the fact that Riou was the one running the show in the army, not her.

Rocky wrote:
Having him live, after (kind of) leading Highland to its destruction, is not something I feel is very fair. Not necessarily because Jowy should be punished, but because dying for your cause seems more noble than losing, then being saved by 'friendship'.

I can understand your point here as well, but I again feel that Jowy being alive is the better option than dying. It is noble to die for your cause, but sometimes it's a bit silly to die for your cause just for the sake of it. Like for example, Seed and Culgan's death. They were noble, very very noble, to die for Highland. But think about it this way, did their death worth of anything other than ending the war? Not really. It is noble, but in my opinion, very unnecessary. They wanted peace for Highland, but Jowston (under Riou) never intended to rule Highland anyway. It was avoidable, but they insisted on dying simply because it's noble to die for their cause. Imagine how much better for Highland/Dunan had they were still alive. Jowston didn't intend to rule Highland with iron fist rule, and the two of them would be a very valuable asset to keep the peace longer.

Similar issue happened to Jowy's case. Jowy didn't need to die (though he was ready to die) because Jowy had no reason to die. Yes he practically brought down Highland because of his stupidity, but once he realized all his mistakes, why must he die after that? No need. Instead, I felt that by getting him alive, it showed more character development from a selfish person who strives to achieve his own goal no matter what, into someone who can realize his mistakes, admitting that he screwed up bigtime, and in the end, learning from the events in Dunan Unification War to become a better person. His life was not wasted, unlike Seed's and Culgan's.

dherder222 wrote:
True, and I thought that for what the ending was, it was done pretty well (Now if they had had Pilika and Jillia joining in on the adventure, it would have been a bit much.) I just think the second ending is a more fitting way to end the game.

The second ending wouldn't fit the theme of the game. The second ending would leave Riou as the lone survivor out of the three, and it would really contradict the whole friendship theme in the game.

Quote:
SERIOUSLY!!! Geez, I know Nanami feels bad, but how cruel can she be to her own brother? If she wanted to leave, run away and leave a little note. Riou would still be bummed, but it's a heck of a lot better than him thinking she's dead!

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the same had she ran away leaving a note. That would only distract Riou even more, and he might end up trying to find her and totally ignoring the crucial part of the Dunan Unification War, making the whole thing worse. By faking her death, Nanami would make Riou felt that it had been done, and there was nothing he could've done about it other than to focus on ending the war. Nanami faked her death to eliminate the big sister distraction factor, so that Riou could concentrate on what matters more, the people.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Jekzer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I must admit that is a good reasoning. In fact that is what happens in suikoden1 too, as people say here ( the scene of Gremio's death, one of the best I think in rpg's).

But I think also that the true sadness is within the bearers of thr True Runes. A happy end? could be, but they still continue being inmortal, and they will see Nanami's "true" death, and the death of his possible childs (anybody says suikoden 5?? heheh ;) just kidding), friends, etc...

I think that is awful the resurrection of a person died before, with a great scene ( one of these that you can cry ;)), but still you can think with "the happy bitter end" ( the suffer by bear the True Runes)
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i need to whip into the game again, acctually I need a new file (or is the clive thing just for fun and dosent get a new SoD?)

anway yeh....its all good here, good points.

I got the...um...pathidic ending....ok so I didn't fight Jowy, I didn't have all the SoD, and Nanamie died....I get a pic of Jowy siting at the meeting place and all (i put a thought bubble reading "I should of brought a book/magazeen" above him)

I Really don't know which one would be the best, the "real best" is a sugar coated abomination....or just some luck, that hope and happyness can be found if you dig thorugh the ashes, and somtimes you can have "the good old times" again.

For Killing Jowy, I guess a lot would of liked that, like when I played KH, i got a kick of wacking the child versions of Tidus and Wakka....so smiting Jowy is like somone's cup of tea. But you know, if he was suffering...plus his crimes. There are many reasons to snuff Jowy.

Culgan and Seed's death was a good one, sure there could be some...(you know) but the whole going down with the ship, as brothers in arms thing. It works. And you'd think king Jowy would do the same.
do you think the death scenes are getting worse and worse? hopefully one in S5 won't be some over dramatic thing filled with corneyness and cliche.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jekzer wrote:
But I think also that the true sadness is within the bearers of thr True Runes. A happy end? could be, but they still continue being inmortal, and they will see Nanami's "true" death, and the death of his possible childs (anybody says suikoden 5?? heheh ;) just kidding), friends, etc...

Both Riou and Jowy are not ageless because Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes are not True Runes. So they would continue to age normally, and eventually die due to old age, if not killed.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: