Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What operating system do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your OS?
Windows (1.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Longhorn)
81%
 81%  [ 31 ]
Apple (Mac OS X, OS 9, ...)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
*BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, ...)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GNU/Linux (Gentoo, Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE, Slackware, Debian...)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Other (please explain!)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc,

Don't worry about the comments. I'm not actually defending MIcrosoft on a personal level less than I am trying to claim that their position is not simply one designed to spite customers. I haven't ever paid money for a Microsoft product ever, and only recently installed a copy of Windows XP to make music with. The cost? $0.00, because it was provided to me for free through my University.

That leads us into back into our topic of licenses, which is actually deserving of a whole new thread. I might just make one, since we're getting WAY off topic here and I don't know if I have anything else to say about the issue of Microsoft's decision to support Windows 98.

Here! --> http://suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47680#47680

But I must take the time to poke at your statements...

Elc wrote:
If, by chance, I had purchased an extended warranty for the VCR/DVD player which happened to cover six years, and the product broke down within the timeframe of the warranty, then I would most definitely expect the company to honour their contract and either repair or replace the unit. However, if no such warranty existed, I would either take my chances with a repair shop or buy a new machine. (but hardware and software are different beasts)

The question is, did you purchase an extended support agreement for six years from Microsoft? If you didn't, then this argument is moot for the point of defending WIndows 98 support. Even if such an option existed, I would think that, as part of the support contract, you would be entitled to Windows licenses.

And, yes, of COURSE Microsoft is only interested in their profit margin. Which company isn't? However, I would disgree about you in terms of customer satisfaction, because if Microsoft really sucked that badly, then people would be a bit more vocal about rebelling. Microsoft, fortunately for them, has made a good job of sucking, but sucking just enough for people to tolerate the suck and not actually switch products.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=292419

This is to get back on topic a little bit, or rather to the original tangent; what kind of kernel does Windows use, all that.
Information gleaned from that thread, paraphrased:
Win2k and WinXP kernels are based on NT4 kernel, which "was written by former DEC employees who essentially reimplemented VMS. It did not use the DOS/Windows 9x codebase."

A few links: Windows NT and VMS: The rest of the story
Interesting history of Microsoft, with a bit of info on kernel at the bottom (this one is a LOT of ranting and biased history, so use a grain of salt)
History of Windows
This last one is actually pretty damn cool and worth a look.
Teioh

Heavenfang

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Windows XP. There's no need for me to use some other system, I'd probably wouldn't know how to use a different system... :lol:

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.securityoffice.net/mssecrets/hotmail.html

If you're interested, from an administrative side, how things work and how FreeBSD compares with Windows 2000.

It's the Hotmail migration to Windows 2000 case study whitepaper.

As most of you probably know, not long ago, Hotmail was bought out by Microsoft. The service was based highly on Unix machines - they had Solaris and FreeBSD database and web servers, respectively, with a few Windows NT machines on the side to do some development work. When Microsoft took over the company in 1998, they left it as FreeBSD until they attempted to migrate the web servers over to Windows 2000.

As far as I knew, it caused a lot of problems their first time through, and they had to switch back to FreeBSD for a while. I don't know what the situation with Hotmail is now. There isn't any current status on what mostof their computers run, although I would suspect that by now, their web servers use Windows products.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I'm totally Windows all the way. Personally, I don't see why people are so against the idea of just having one operating system out there, what gives?! You know, despite all this "free market" stuff you hear, some things really ARE more convenient if you only have one, and an operating system is definitely one of those. It provides a standard that all programmers can make their programs for, instead of needing multiple versions of the SAME program to use on different Operating systems. It also provides a measure of convenience, not having to worry whether or not this piece of software is compatable with your OS or not.

This is just my opinion, of course... But, I do think that Microsoft needs to make these stupid OS's a lot better than they have been, though. I know Windows might not be the best, but it's the most convenient and widely used OS out there, and until that changes, I'm not going to even think about using Linux or any other OS's. Let's just hope this "Longhorn" thing is good, and that it doesn't end up with that stupid name... Longhorn, what the heck kinda' name is that for an OS?! It's a frickin' COW for crying out loud! :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:

I do think that Microsoft needs to make these stupid OS's a lot better than they have been, though.

I can't agree more, Sai. Program screw-ups aren't just limited to those with the Microsoft brand on them, but it seems like Microsoft products are the most vulnerable. What really surprises me is Microsoft's programmer's don't seem to realize that there are hackers just waiting to take advantage of any security holes their products inevitably have. (as such, I would never use Outlook for email or Usenet purposes.)

But, until Microsoft can prove that they are capable of producing a decent operating system which is not only stable - meaning it won't crash whenever you try to do something simple, like shutting down the computer - and secure enough to keep my computer safe from the malicious viruses and worms the hackers keep sending Microsoft's way, I won't even consider purchasing a Microsoft operating system.

Now, on the issue of support pertaining to older versions of Windows, I think as long as Windows 98 is listed as part of the minimum system requirements on Windows-compatible products, Microsoft should still be obligated to support consumers on that platform, otherwise they should eliminate Windows 98 compatibility all together and have Windows 2000 as the minimum.

As far as Linux is concerned, I've never used it nor do I even know what the GUI looks like. For all I know, it could have just as many security holes as Windows, but we don't hear about that since the hackers are primarily targetting Microsoft. Of course, in that scenario, it's the hackers I dislike more than Microsoft for willfully doing damage to my system, but Microsoft should (by now, at least) be testing their products with this in mind. They should have their own programmers attack the system to see if there are any glaring holes in security and fix them before release, instead of releasing a glitchy piece of software which requires the user to download patch after patch just to have it run properly.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i use Windows ME.....^^

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KonRei wrote:
i use Windows ME.....^^

Uuuuugh... I pity you. :(

Anyway, I would have to agree with just about everything you said there, Elc. It's the hackers that are the real problem anyway. Why would someone bother wasting time just to mess with someone else's computer? That's something I just can't understand. I guess there are a whole load of people who don't seem to practice that whole "do unto others" maxim.

As for Microsoft requiring you do download updates, I must say that I really don't mind that all too much. Honestly, I'd rather they release update after update to keep my OS up to date, than for them to release big patches once a month or two months. The only problem that I have is when Microsoft charges it's customers money to ship them update CD's for the OS, if the users cannot download them. That's pure crap, in my opinion, and I hope they discontinue this practice soon.

I suppose I don't really feel the brunt of Microsoft's lack of support for their older OS's. I use XP, and I'm quite happy with it. ESPECIALLY considering that my old computer came with Windows ME, which is BY FAR the most wretched piece of garbage OS that I have ever used. I seriously think that it should've been called Windows BSD. (Blue Screen of Death.) Because I honestly saw the "blue screen of death" more times than I saw the desktop when I ran that crappy OS. I think Microsoft should PAY users of ME money for having that garbage OS forced upon them... Or at the VERY LEAST free upgrades to XP... Ha ha, too bad that'll NEVER happen! :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:

Uuuuugh... I pity you. :(

naw, the ME that I used is much better than the old crap.......

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Now, on the issue of support pertaining to older versions of Windows, I think as long as Windows 98 is listed as part of the minimum system requirements on Windows-compatible products, Microsoft should still be obligated to support consumers on that platform, otherwise they should eliminate Windows 98 compatibility all together and have Windows 2000 as the minimum.

Unfortunately, because Microsoft doesn't control the requirements on all Windows-compatible products, there's no possible way that this can be a criteria for when to abandon support. I could write a program that says it is MS-DOS 5.0 compatible. That doesn't mean that MS has to (or should) whip out support teams for DOS.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana, that link on hotmail was REALLY interesting. You should get banned for posting such Useful Information (UI) :lol:
I read it at work on friday and then promptly forgot to reply. So, I just want to thank you for it :)
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

windows xp pro
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have two PCs, one with Windows XP professional edition SP1, and another with Mandrake. The Mandrake one was usually used by my father for his work though.

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have Webtvts its a system where you can search the interenet while watching tv, its like the internet on the tv. Im watching Spongebob while typing this.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Usually those are built with an existing underlying operating system... but I don't know enough about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: