Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why the Suikoden hero has not been well received
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsuwan Zero

6000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a mute hero is pretty awkward in 3d. It looked fine when it was 2d, but in 3d its just wierd. Espicially with those huge ass eyes staring at you...
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe everyone could be comprimised if the hero had speaking lines, but just no voice acting. Maybe that's just me thinking out loud.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with the hero except his annoying shorts (still forgivable, i mean it's really tropical and hot down in the Island Nations) and his robotic run. I real criminal of Suikoden 4 is the pace of the game. So many factors made the game too fast, but that's what 40 bucks gives you.

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why does everyone care about the shorts?!? What is appearance compared to personality anyway? I hope you shorts complainers aren't as superficial in real life situations.
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're going to put voice acting in a game, you can't have a mute hero. You'd have people talking all the time, then it would be all silent as they waited for your response. Though it worked out alright, it took the flow outta the storyline. How intense is it everyone is cheering, the guy raises his hand, stops, then it goes quiet and you wait for a second for it to load, just so you can click "Victory will be ours" or whatever when it comes up? Kind of unnecessary.

Also, the expressions were fairly lack-luster. His shorts didn't bother me personally, they're just shorts =P Plus with the climate and what not, I can understand why Hero IV dresses how he does. Kooluk guys had some pretty good tastes though. Looked dignified and professional, kinda like Highland and Harmonia. Why do we always have to play as the rabble of rebels? :P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mad Mage wrote:
Why does everyone care about the shorts?!? What is appearance compared to personality anyway? I hope you shorts complainers aren't as superficial in real life situations.

Name one leader in the history of the world that stood in front of his army for a rousing speech wearing short-shorts.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nutflush wrote:
Mad Mage wrote:

Name one leader in the history of the world that stood in front of his army for a rousing speech wearing short-shorts.

Alexander might have... >_>

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nutflush wrote:
Mad Mage wrote:

A comfortable leader. That's who!
Squirtle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hero's shorty-shorts didn't look too comfy. Now, Lino's denim shorts and vest, THAT'S a comfy king.
Kit-Kit

Blue Poppy

4655 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish they would make all the games more like three, the characters were extremely expressive. They had the show of sadness and happiness and frustration and pain. In suikoden four, there was only some characters that showed alot of expression. The characters were

Chiepoo, Snowe, Elenor Silverberg, Graham Cray and Lino. Like the part where Lino talks to Hero4 abotu how'd he would've had a drink or something with his son. Lino didn't show pain on his face, but the voices did help.
cutie_bunnie

The Peach Mountain Shoguns

285404 Potch
0 Soldiers
27500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, I'd have to say I agree with Mad Mage. The hero was just missing something to me. I didn't once compare him to any of the previous heroes, especially not the heroes in III. It just seemed that he lacked "color", I just couldn't connect with him. And, yes maybe it was the fact that he didn't have close friends to help portray him as a person or little blurps of dialogue that show what might be going on in this kids head. But something just wasn't right about him. Also, I really didn't need the voice acting honestly, it's a little lazy to me anyway.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought it was extremely stupid that Schtolteheim Reinbach II didn't even flinch when you introduce yourself as Schtolteheim Renibach III.

When I think of good silent protagonists, I think of Tir, Riou, and Crono. All three of them were mute, but they had people to speak for them. Tir had characters like Gremio, Cleo, and Matthew; Riou had characters like Nanami, Shu, and Viktor; and Crono pretty much had the entire cast of his game to speak for him.

But Hero en Kuldes has no one. Not even his "friends" from Razril really speak for him. Mad Mage, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found his muteness to be funny. Simply because he looked so stupid in trying to convey whatever position he occupied. It would simply be a wave of a hand and it tell the people sentences of information.

*hero waves hand*

What's that lassie? Jimmy is stuck in the well? The barn is on fire? Mr. Murphy's cows are on a rampage? That's terrible. Someone should do something about it.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly I prefer HeroIV to Chris, Hugo, or Thomas (I've got a hang up about Geddoe though, I always liked him as Pesmerga, it's just too bad that his dumb son Hugo wasn't as cool as he was)

Anyway, the voice acting is the problem, along with the lack of expression, and no friends to put words in his mouth. HeroIV reminded me more of Link from Zelda than a Tenkai star. Remember when someone says "What's your name?" and Link will obviously tell them, but you never get to see his text for some reason? That's what HeroIV reminded me of. Personall, I love Tir and Riou, and I think HeroIV is cool too, but all of these factors (silent hero, voice acting extras, lack of choice making, lack of response to choice making, and lack of friend characters that can guess the hero's every whim with 100% accuracy) together do not a good hero make.

As far as him being cold and silent, it fits more with the theme of this game. The underlying mood of this game, even though it took place in a tropical wonderland, was VERY dark. We've got a rune that destroys whoever holds it, multiple victims of said rune, the betrayal of a best friend, and islands being viciously overrun, not to mention that for the first time, we heard about characters deaths that did not happen during the game. (Kika and Warlock, I think there was one more, but I can't remember who it was) But the question remains, was HeroIV darker than Tir and Riou? Absolutely! Was it out of place? Absolutely not!

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there were a few problems with poor ol' goofy Dennis. Hahah, I just had to use that name. But seriuosly, now, whatever you want to call him, I'll call him HeroIV, for giggles.

For a start, like a lot of people said, HeroIV is awash in a sea (no pun intended) of voice acting- even some noname slob soldiers get voice actors. But the main character doesn't get a voice actor? I mean, you're given choices of dialogue, why not record them? Especially if you're going to give him a "voice" in battle. If you aren't going to give him speaking lines, how about at least a few "reaction" noises. Like, Snowe offers you the torch, so you say "no thanks". Instead, you wave your arms like Frankenstein's freaking monster with that wide-eyed look of half-angry, half-puzzled fear on your face. I'll settle for even less. How about we get this poor kid some facial expressions!? Snowe had loads! Even Chiepoo had more than one! Why does HeroIV have to be locked in a perpetual state of faux-badass dumbfoundedness? I mean, of all the times he risks his own life to try and save his crew, he always looks like someone just told him "that was the poisoned glass you drank from!".

Plus, he had a bowlcut. That's not hot.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys rag on the shorts, but we all know if the haircut was normal, and he wasn't such a bony kid underneath those clothes, and he didn't run like he had a pickel up his ..... he could've pulled it off.

The reason he wasn't well received though was people couldn't connect with him. How many here are servents for a rich kid? Does anything about hero4 relate to anyone here? I doubt very many.... We couldn't relate to him because we didn't learn about his personality, likes and dislikes, character traits, etc.

I think it was the lack of character development that really led to hero4 not being well received.... and of course the hair cut and shorts didn't help matters....

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: