Suikoden United and Irenic Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

DS v PSP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose your destiny
Nintendo DS
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
sony's PSP
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana: I'm sorry if I sound "fanboyish". I _would_ go PSP simply because it is a Playstation. There are no other reasons. Back when Nintendo64 first came out, my reaction was "Dear $DEITY, that's ugly!"
When the Playstation came out, my reaction was "This is the sweetest thing since a candy overdose!"
Back then, I thought CD-based games were the future and cartridges were to die. I still think that. What is the only bonus that cartridges have? Virtually no loading time. I'll wait. After all, I have played the Suikoden and Final Fantasy games (starting at VII, sadly enough. I tried the other ones on emulators and got bored out of my mind very quickly, to this day I don't see what is so fantastic about them.. I suppose I should have played them when they came out to enjoy the full effect.
Certainly, Nintendo is innovative. I'm not taking that away from them.
Why would I take a PSP over a DS ? Because I don't like the games on the DS and I like the games on the PSP. I would take the PSP simply because it's a Playstation, because of the games it offers.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But the PSP is *not* a Playstation, which is where your logic falls short. It doesn't use cartridges, but it uses its UMD proprietary data format, which basically looks like a minidisc.

If you want to not sound fanboyish, you can at least say, "I vote PSP because it uses a larger data capacity for its games".

I won't rat on you for talking about Nintendo's lack of innovation, because you didn't say that, but other people did, and I think that's entirely untrue. Sure, the use of a stylus to play a game might not exactly be a super huge innovative thing, since game programmers have used the Palm platform for years, but Nintendo adopting a thumbstrap and making it standard is definitely something different. Nintendo's game lineup is not "just another RPG" stacked longside "Yet another third-person adventure game" beside "yet another sports game". For some reason, some people here (and not specifically you Trevoke) believe that Nintendo rehashes and releases the same old boring stuff over and over again.

As far as advantages of cartridges over CD-based games - the other one that you missed is the instant addition of additional hardware and processing power to the platform. You can embed a new graphics processor or similar in a cartridge to have it do something the system previously couldn't do. That's not exactly a selling point of one, but it's worth mentioning.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please be careful Arcana, I know it's a pet peeve of yours, but people are entitled to their opinion on why they like or dislike a certain handheld console. If you don't agree with them, please don't insult them by calling them "fanboyish". You've made your point clear, let people make their own choice.

Saying that, I had the N64 and was really looking foward to the DD Drive and all the new gadgets and stuff that would be released, but sadly they never did release them, and most of the games that would have been released, got postponed to the Gamecube, which really soured the Nintendo. But I like the Gamecube, and I like the GBA, but the games released by Sony or for Sony machines are much better in my opinion than those on Nintendo consoles.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
But the PSP is *not* a Playstation, which is where your logic falls short. It doesn't use cartridges, but it uses its UMD proprietary data format, which basically looks like a minidisc.

*shrug* So much for me. I have plans on buying neither. I'm happy playing Bejeweled on my cell phone if I have some time and no one or no real console at hand.. But the point I'm trying to make is that, if it's got the same games as the PS1, then I'd get that if I cared enough ;-)
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, looks like you lucky PSP'ers will soon be able to drop $250 for the PSP Value Pack.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4296

So far no one knows if you can get the system by itself - only the one with headphones, soft case, AC adapter, memory stick, and a screen rag will be released right now. However, it'll arrive with a decent selection of launch games.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 24th seems a bit later then I would like to get it, but a very good price for the value pack since I almost paid $400 to import it on more than one accations, did the artical say it will be including a full version of the Spiderman 2 movie? if so who's paying for that? Sony? Columbia Pictrues? Strong sports lineup at launch, half of all launch titles are sports, I'm only interested in the new MVP baseball since all other sports games are way old. Other than that maybe dynasty warriors and twisted metal... Anyone think there will be a shortage at launch? I'm counting on it since I preordered 5
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

$250 isn't a very "good " price... it's acceptable but not necessarily a great deal. A lot of people I know are upset that there wasn't a "just the PSP".

Trevoke: Sorry man, I wasn't meaning to rat on you for fanboyism because your tone isn't that of a typical fanboy. I was more meaning to point out the flaw in logic but it didn't come out quite right.
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right, if you ask me, 250 bucks is too much, especially for a handheld, I'll definitely pass. The DS seems to have more games that pique my interest thus far, with games like Castlevania, Baten Kaitos, and even Xenosaga coming to it, not to mention Final Fantasy III. I don't think the DS is going to fail, yes, the games are kinda lacking right now, hence why I don't own one yet, but I have a feeling that when the RPGs come, that's when the sales will get a nice boost. Especially with that new Castlevania game coming out, man does it ever look awesome! I can't wait to see what it's going to be like.
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And furthermore, I am not buying into the PSP hype. It looks great, but just because it's a Playstation doesn't mean I'll be getting it on launch, if there's one thing I've learned, it's NEVER get a system on launch day, I actually feel sorry for any sucker who does decide to get it at launch. I am not buying either the PSP or the DS until I see must have games, and they both come down in price.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hype? I don't think there is much of that right now, the gamestop I go to the most only have 5 preorders for the PSP and 3 of them are from me, I was told there were stores with about 20+ at this point but on average there is at most maybe 10 preorders per store. I recall about 3 weeks before launch they stopped DS preorders, I guess we'll see how much hype there really is when it comes closer to launch. But I would think if the new small PS2 was to sell for $200 instead of $150 people would still buy it(just look at ebay around late December) so I don't see why paying $250 for the PSP which include $50 worth of accessories and a system that can do much more than a PS2 not to mention being portable is too much. By the way, I very much disagree, you always want to get the systems on launch day. If it sucks then you can make a profit by selling it because there is always a shortage somewhere, even the NGage was selling for over face value right after launch(I know because I screwed myself as I wanted to but was unable to sell mine soon enough) DSs were selling for between $30-50 over retail on ebay around launch day, and I was able to get at least 5 at local stores if I had that much money to spend. Now you are a sucker if you are the one over paying on ebay for a system after launch because you are too tempted to get one yet you were too dumb to secure one before hand, but it is only smart to get a system on launch for the retail price if you have any interest at all in getting it.
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

**laughs** Nah, I'm no fool you see. Did I get a DS at launch? No! And truthfully I am glad I didn't, I'm waiting a while until all the good games come out. I might get a PSP eventually, but only if the games truly impress me enough to actually go snag one. I'm waiting for all the good RPGs to come out. I mean if the 250 bucks included a game as well in the package, yes, I'd probably reserve it. But no game = no dice. I wasn't tempted to get the DS at launch, and I most likely won't be tempted to get the PSP at launch either. But will I get both systems? Eventually, yes.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, I agree with your approach in terms of waiting it out until the system really takes off if you have that kind of patience. But like I said if anyone is at all tempted in getting any of the new systems one or two month within the launch date, you MUST secure a way to get it at launch, or else you are just screwing yourself out of your own money since you'd have to over pay for it. I think the PSP will do just fine at launch, yeah it'd be nice to have a $40 game free included but give me a $20 movie and tons of freedom to do what I want with it, while being one of the limited people to have it right at launch for the follow month(or longer hopefully) over a free game anyday.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The PSP can do more than a PS2? Exactly how is that?

All the PSP can do differently is load a memory stick and run on batteries.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It runs movies that you can convert to the proper format, all the MP3s you can fit on a memory sticks which you can buy for $50 a gig(I think, correct me if the PSP uses a more expensive type of memory stick) there will be full movie UMDs made for the PSP and you will get Spiderman 2 free with system purchase (which was the $20 movie I referred to earlier) I was also told you can record movies on to the UMD directly however that requires more hardware but it may still be worth it. I have a 20 gig multimedia player that I bought for $300 and it is awesome, I record lots of key moments of the games I play and lots of movies I watch (at about 10 megabits per min, if for nothing else just to put on my pc for whenever I want to see it) on top of all the music I have and it is worth every penny. Just a few days ago I recorded most of the super bowl on it directly off the TV feed, for the PSP it will not be as easy to record stuff but it will play almost all of it, and hey it also plays almost PS2 quality games so even though I'm a poor student and don't even work to make a cent $250 will be well worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: