Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gary and Random Thoughts Thought Aloud. [Spoilers]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goblin Phonologist

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Gary and Random Thoughts Thought Aloud. [Spoilers] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the things that I find attractive about the Suikoden series is that
certain characters remind me of other characters in the past Suikoden games, and characters from the game mentioning about past events, characters, and places from the Suikoden series. In Suikoden IV, an example would be when Cray mentioned about Harmonia (trading in a True Rune for a bigger millitary... now that's something only Harmonia would pull off, haha), and reading the Old Book about the "hunting"commenced by the nobles of the Scarlet Moon Empire. After reading about all that stuff, I just breathed a sigh of relief. Not really happiness or anything like that... but just... you know... for me, it's just nice to hear something familiar again. I think that's all I really look for in a Suikoden game. I'm not looking for another SII or whatever... just something that gives me that feeling that I'm re-visiting the Suikoden world. And so far, I haven't been disappointed. I've felt that feeling in III and IV, two supposedly questionable games in the series. The only thing I do wished for was more character development for more of the characters. Some few examples: I would loved to find out more about Sigurd's past, why Frederica is looking for Cray, and what exactly did Bartholemew do that was pretty bad.

Anyway, please don't mind my rambling. The real reason I wanted to post this is I was excited that I finally noticed something in a Suikoden game.I don't know if this was brought up before, and if it has... then I am slow, and don't mind this post. :D

I strongly think Gary is an ancestor of Max from the Maximillian Knights.

When I first saw him in Obel, I didn't really think much of the guy. He just looked funny. Only when Obel was about to be re-taken, and Setsu was praising Gary's support for the villagers even when Gary wasn't a part of the village... he said something that made my eyes open.

This is not an exact quote, but he said that reason he did what he did was the "strong sense of justice."I remember thinking to myself that sounded like someone from the Maximillian Knights would say.

And then it really hit me.

I flipped through my artbook, and I looked at his picture again. After that, I went online and checked out a picture of Max from SII. Gary's facial structure and moustache, even though Gary has no beard, is very, very similiar to Max.

And then, when I noticed this... it confirmed my belief:

If you look closely at Gary's necklace, it's the same symbol as the armor on Max and Fred, and also, the same crest as Rico's in SIII.

Wow.

That's my first observation ever in a Suikoden game. I am happy.

Thanks for reading my post. Have a nice day.
You find a Stack of Old Records.
You find a Broken Turntable.
You find 12 pieces of Goblin Chocolate.
MichaelW

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
. Some few examples: I would loved to find out more about Sigurd's past, why Frederica is looking for Cray, and what exactly did Bartholemew do that was pretty bad.

I've read the following on various forums like suikosource is that:

SPOILERS

Sigurd - - - Sigurd used to work for the governor of Middleport. Reinbach II (Reinbach III's father) wants Sigurd dead because Sigurd knows about the shady dealings with the rune cannons (with Kolukk??) and such. So Reinbach II hired Keen to find Sigurd and "kill" him.

Barthalomew: He's on the run from Kolukk because he killed thier soldiers.

Frederica - - - She's looking for Cray because he destroyed her town.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He looked like Max to me too. Wayyy too similar in fact.

Nice observation.
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, as soon as I first saw Gary, I noticed the 'familiar' emblem. (I always looked at the SoD's in first person, just to get a better view =D) Also, the resemblance to other SoD's in the other games (notably Max) was uncanny. So I will say, I completely concur and agree with you on your observation of Gary being the patriarch of the Maximillian Knights. I'm sure we'll get a confirmation to this before we know it, too =P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man why did I have to look for another post on this. I was just about to point this out when I got to the bottom of the page and saw this post saying the same thing I was going to say lol

Oh well yes It didn't hit me until Gary said the same thing about his justice. I think it hit me in the exact same way it hit you. Man I wish I had that artbook everyones talking about.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

(I always looked at the SoD's in first person, just to get a better view =D)

Of course your examination of Jeane was totally academic.... :mrgreen:

ANYWAY, I looked at this topic before I got the game, and it helped me to figure it out...he's strikingly similar.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh What about Rachel and Camille? Same job, same look same well everything!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too alike, in my opinion, when it came to Rachel and Camille.

As for Gary, wow, I entirely missed that connection. Then again, I was never a fan of the Maximillians, exactly. Max more so than Fred, definately, but they weren't my favorites so they just sort of slipped my mind. Very keen eye on the emblem though, I never would have noticed.

Sort of wish an ancestor of Max would have been more Man of la Mancha than Gary was. Interesting, instead, to see that the Maximillians had someone with an even head on his shoulders back in the family tree somewhere ^_^

Well, if my theory about V following IV is right, we might see more of Gary, which I would not mind, now.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice observation, I never even expected it.

Also he's the same Star as Maximillian and Fred.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For Gary's case, he may very well be Maximilian's ancestor. However, it is also likely for many other similar stars that konami similar made them similar for game designing purposes. Similar characters always makes gamers happier. It also makes their job easier. At the same time, characters with the same star ARE supposed to be similar in some form or another.

I rather believe that Gary is Max's ancestor too. This sense of justice from Gary grew even stronger after the war, and he passed on to his decendents who eventually took to arms and formed a band of knights fighting for justice over a hundred years later.
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The real question is how did someone as cute as Fred come from someone as goofy looking as his ancestors? 8)
Squirtle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hehe. Good point. Although. Gary looks to be middle aged, Max is well into his 60's, and Fred is young. Maybe when Fred gets older he'll get the "Maximilian Moustache" and look goofy too. Jeez. Gary's moustache defies gravity. >_>
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol Yeah Gary was cool. I never used Max but I used Fred all the time. I'm playing S2 again so I plan on using him.

Yeah Camile and Rachel were pretty much a dead give away.
kagematsuri

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, I didn't like Gary at first. He didn't do anything when you first meet him and he's got that horrible, horrible moustache. That thing frightens me. But hearing that he's very likely related to the Maximillian Knights earns him about 38972 cool points. Few people would have picked up on that necklace, so good work Goblin Phonologist!

Still like Rico better than Ema though.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Sancho better than both Rico and Ema.

As for not using Maximillian, Man In Black, Maximillian is not a playable character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: