Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Translation Problems? (spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Translation Problems? (spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After 5 hours, my hero just got to be "forced to leave home", I am loving the game so far as almost everything I thought would cause problems turned out to work out great. I do however question a few acts of Snowe, and would like to know from the people that played the JP version and understood the language perfectly if there were something missing from the translations at a few points: Snowe never showed any sign of fear or confidence issues until the first major incident, the first mention of anything about him being not up for the job was a few seconds before the scene, which makes his reactions seems a bit too extreme. Was there something missing there? Also, how did Snowe turn from being unhappy that the commander was favoring the hero to just assuming his best friend murdered the commander? there doesn't seem to be a motive to Snowe for the hero to kill the person which in Snowe's eyes was giving the hero good unfair treatment. Not to mention Snowe was pretty nice to the hero even when he wasn't happy about the situation, yet all of a sudden he seemed to honestly believed that his best friend murdered someone based on almost no proof. Sorry for a bit of a rant over what maybe a few points that only didn't make sense to me but I would just like to know if I missed something or something was missed through translation, thanks
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's basically the same in the Japanese version. I think Snowe was just confused though, and had no idea what was happening. It's not every day that you see a person turn into ash with red lights blaring everywhere while pirates are attacking your town, blasting the walls with magic. A lot to take for the mind of a boy.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't gotten much farther myself, but I had assumed Snowe resented HERO. Or his jealously led to resentment. So instead of speaking up, he just kept quiet. There were many events that led to that jealously but the final one would probably be when HERO was called by the Commander for a secret meeting in his room and Snowe was left outside of the room talking to himself saying "Why him? What's going on.."

In my opinion Snowe passively helped get HERO kicked out of the town.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he suffered from an extreme form of shock.

I think once Snowe says,"Why him?", he starts thinking of a plan to get rid of the Hero. I think that when Snowe saw what happened to Glen, that was his best chance at getting rid of him.

Remember what Tal and Kenneth said when Snowe went off by himself against Dario? He's always going for the glory. Snowe, apparently used to getting the glory all the time resented the Hero for his time in the spotlight, and just HAD to get him kicked out because he was ruining his reputation and outdoing him time and time again.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since there is nothing missing from the translation, dosen't it seem odd that in a game which has so many important friendships we are to assume so much about such a key relationship for a very important event like this?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's an issue with the screenplay.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They translated "Blinking Mirror" as "Golden Paw Mirror". Or something like that.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What!?!?!!? You must be shitting me!
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Glowing Hand Mirror" :?

Makes "True Holy Rune" sound sane don't you think?

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh no!!! "Golden Paw Mirror"! That's simply not right!!! Deviating from old customary item names is simply unnacceptable.... (When it comes to the Blinking Mirror, that is!)

Viki: I own a WHAT? I'm allergic to cats! :shock:

The Blinking Mirror is one of the staples in Suikoden. It's pretty un-Suikoden if the change it all of a sudden.... But i do hope that's a Mistranslation, Ced... I'd hate to lose the identity of one of Viki's famed items!

Viki: Aa... aaa... TCHOOOO!!! *teleports*

[EDIT] I was too late in posting... So i was replying to your first post, Ced!]

Tenko Star

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always seem to get a chuckle out of "Glowing Hand Mirror" for some odd reason. Another minor error I found is when you choose to release the enemy it puts up a small window that says "It Released." And other than calling rune crystals orbs, I haven't really seen anything else worth commenting on. So far, most of it seems to be spot-on with good spelling and grammar.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ho wabout spell names? I've heard "Hell" has been changed to "Hades" for souleater.
Tenko Star

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't got that far yet, but I'm not too far off from that point. A few more hours in and I should get to that point. Hades is another name for Hell, so although correct, I guess I'd call that a continuity error. Hey, at least they got Leknaat right... that "Leknart" screenshot was more than a bit disturbing.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hades and Hell aren't the same thing.
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, as far as i know, they are. Or more exactly, they're paralels between the ancient Greek/Roman religion and Christianity.

All the way to the edge of this world
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: