Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your Suikoden IV impressions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Your Suikoden IV impressions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game really is not as bad as the reviews make it out to be. I'm serious.

I'm about 8 hours in (I've left my ps2 since I started playing) [Spoiler]I just got exiled from Gaia and I'm on the deserted island that was on the demo[/Spoiler] The battle system is simple yet fun, and it's not tedious either. The random battle rate is not as bad as people made it out to be, oh yeah, there are random battles in towns...oh wait, that was just one section of the town. Not that bad at all. The ship controls aren't horrible either...like many have suggested.

The characters, are all very very very likeable, except Chiepoo, who's...special..yeah that's it. Snowe especially is a great character thus far. I just love his look when [Spoiler]he freaks out. He's like AUGHHHHHGHGH!!!1[/Spoiler] Major battles are an absolute blast in this, they're really fun. Duals, duals are a friggin treat in this, they're fun simply because of the animation during the fights. :D The only problem I have with this game, as of now, really is not the story. The story is well presented, and you get to see cool shit you wanted to see in Suikoden III in 3d[Spoiler]Rune of Punishment owning a fleet of ships![/Spoiler], and as I said before, the characters are all more than likeable. The problems I have are, the lack of houses and places to go to in towns, and the cutscenes are choppy. Choppy meaning, it shows one part of a cutscene and then it blacks out and then there's another cutscene continuing the first one, it's like, why not just make one whole cutscene to make it flow better? My only gripes.

I've encountered 3 mini games and I'm barely into the game: 2 dice games and 1 super fun top spinning game.

Thus far Suikoden IV gets a 8.5/10 from me. I honestly think people exaggerated about this game's flaws to hell.

Last edited by Himuro on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himurokoken, your judgement is too early if you have only played about 1/4th of the game. So please kindly stop saying "other's opinions are exaggerated" when you really havn't gotten that far into the game. If you think you can actually give a score for the game at such an early stage, it is actually your opinion that is in fact exaggerated.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed. You haven't even gotten your headquarters yet.
suikoguild

Magicians With Attitude

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a hassle dealing with random battles very 3 seconds!! Otherwise it's an okay game!!

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just saying I'm having a great time thus far that is all. :(
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My impressions: (I just inherited the R.O.P.)

Beautiful visuals on both the world map and in the towns. Middleport is especially nice.
Towns seem larger and more alive than in III, I also like the graphical style much better. The character design, while plainer than in III, is very nice IMO. I like these designs much better than the original Suikoden's designs.

The game music is excellent. Battle music is good, but I'm waiting to hear some boss music, I don't want this game to have Xenosaga-fied battle music.

Battle is very fun and fast paced, but I still miss the extra two characters. Dueling was executed in a very nice manner. I like the new way damage is dealt via dueling. Major battles remind me of that board game, Battleship. I like them, but they seem somewhat easy. I wish people would be able to have special battle skills (a-la suikoden II)

Navigation on the ship is sucky. :cry: It moves slowly, and there are a ton of random battles, two things that don't go well together.

I'm loving the story so far, even though it started out slowly.

EDIT: Oh, and awful name translation (IMO). I would have preferred Reno to Lino, and Amelia to Ameria. Once again, English loses to Engrish.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just a quick request, when you are posting spoilers please can you post them in black text as this means that you actually have to make an effort to read it rather than trying to avoid looking at it (and usually failing...).

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flied Lice.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Choppy meaning, it shows one part of a cutscene and then it blacks out and then there's another cutscene continuing the first one, it's like, why not just make one whole cutscene to make it flow better? My only gripes.

I see you noticed already what I think it's the WORST thing in the game. I don't want to ruin your fun at all, but those "choppy" scenes are constant. A Suikoden game is heavily story-based. If the story flows with short motion-captured cutscenes with little dialogue (so less development of characters), rarely any bgm or event music... Well it is a turn-off.

Other than that, enjoy! Gameplay wise it's a true Suikoden.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is Lino's full Japanese name? I thought his last name was Cruz or something. In the English version his name is Lino en Kuldes.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's refered to as Lino En Kuldes in the credits of the original Japanese release. Same with Ameria.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The translators just reused the team's romanization. During the game, it was spoken like "Reno en Kurudez", but we already addressed this kind of thing in another thread.
SARSadmin wrote:
Flied Lice.

You plick.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well as far as I have played, I don't have any complaints. I just hope that further down the line I do not get disappointed in it.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I laughed myself silly at the first 15 minutes of the game. That's instant cool points.
Daycon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm a impatient person. I was going to wait to go buy it till next week. You know, pay day and all, but watching Carabbit play it last night was all to fun. I really like the over all feel of the game. There are a few things I'd already like to change, but not all games are going to be perfect. Heck, even III had its flaws.

I find the main character to be more annoying though...which is something that is rare for me. With most Suikoden games I've enjoyed the m. characters. Even Hugo. (Such a doll---I loved him!) But this one...well, he just looked so stupid. Snowe would say stuff to him and he would just look at him all blank. He just came across as an idiot to me.

But like you guys mentioned...its too early to make those kinds of judgements. Besides, with 108 characters I'm bound to find me an alternative favorite, ne?

The one funny thing about him though, *snort* is his costume. I think its horrid but the blue tight pants made me think of a quote. Perhaps some of you will recognize it: "What would you prefer? Blue spandex." LOL. The poor poy! He must have a wedgie all the time.

"Being eaten by an alligator isn't bad. It?s like going to sleep....in a giant blender."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: