Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sigmund Freud
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Sigmund Freud Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, I understand that this is somewhat of a mature topic but seeing as the meaning of life, a real religion and superstitions came on, I guess I had a topic I really wanted to see your views on too.

For those of you that do not know Sigmund Freud is without a doubt one of, if not the most, recognizable figure within the field of psychology. He was born and lived out his life from 1856 - 1939. Thus far I know that everyone agrees that some of his work is amazing and that some of the explanations he came up with are simply ground braking (in the field of subconscious psychology), but the part where I really start to hate this guy is because, yeah alright he came up with some nice ideas and they could possibly be true, but in reality there is NO WAY anyone can prove them, yet this guys is being treated like a deity within the profession.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/freud.html

Here is a little link if you wish to find out more about him. What do you guys think?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Freud is more considered a fraud these days in psychology. He is the person who "created" the field, but no real psychologist takes him seriously anymore. Any textbook on psychology will only mention him in the very beginning--pretty much for the reason you mentioned--his theories can not be proven, or are motivated by his own agendas.

These days you see more people studying neuropsychology, and even clinical psychology is heavily geared towards medical science.

Last edited by Vextor on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

in truth Sigmund isn't being treated like a god... It was just untill resently did the world of psycolagy start to re-accept his ideas on the subconscious. when he first brought up one of his first ideas (Id,It,Ego) they ridaculed him and threw it out the door. Now with new scence and better knowledge of the brain and it's functions have they started to reveiw all of his things...... if you ask me he deserves much props.......
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin is right, most psychologists tend to discount Freud's work nowadays, though he's still an interesting read, I'll give him that.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only real thing that todays docters call him a fruad is the fact he had some... and some isn't a lot of hair braind hypotasis....... such as a child wanting(sexualy) their parents and makeing a love/hate relationship with same sex parent example: a daddys girl were the girl only gets along with the father.... or a mammas boy.... I suffered from that..... were the child has conflict with the father and never the mother.... i found that false in my situation only for the fact i just always felt left out when it came to being the youngest for my dad. I'd never want my mom hehehe.....
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh then again I didn't stay in collage much past the first month..... kinda left for the circus so missed a lot of my classes......... but from what i did read he wasn't that crazy.... but what do i know I'm just a clown :D
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with Freud's psychoanalysis is that he wanted all psychological problems to be derived from sexual causes. He reveals this to his one-time "heir apparent," Carl Jung, who ends up splitting with Freud and creates his own theories (which are also largely discounted by the mainstream psychologists). Freud's methods were not kosher with the scientific method--it was mostly, "Ha! I am SURE you were raped by your uncle!" type of encounter. A lot of patients of Freud got worse, or became very reliant and servile to Freud.

His Interpretation of Dreams is probably his best-selling work, but I have personally found it inaccurate, or lacking in the depth necessary for it to be truly useful.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never much cared for Freud's work though the whole ID It Ego theory was the strong basis for part of one of the greatest rpgs of all time Xenogears. Im not going to go into that now as thats not the topic. He died old and miserable away from his home country because the Nazi's gave him a sort of reprieve considering that Hitler was once one of his patients and had "respect" for him. I am also of the belief that for most of his ideas he was completely full of it while a few of them had some merit to them. If ideas cannot be proven or even remotely validated then for the most part it is merely theory and has no basis.

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the primary SOURCE for his theory about the sexual relationship between a parent and a child was from a Greek myth. In this myth it was foretold that the newborn baby of a king shall one day kill his father and marry his mother. Thus the father had the baby sent away to a faraway kingdom to be raised by a friend of his. When the boy grew up, he unknowingly came back and surprise surprise, killed his father and married his mother thus becoming the new king of the throne (his rightful place actually).

The reason I find Freud's theory a load of bull**** is because for one, that story was a MYTH!!! Secondly, that story was made up to make the citizens of ancient Greece believe one fact, destiny is inescapable. This would then reinforce their belief in the gods, as well as Hades, so they would be nice little people that obey the leading figures of their time.

His theory that there are no accidents, but rather that we do everything on a subconscious level is the one that could be true, but then again, there is no way of it being proven. Granted its a good idea, many people give him WAY too much credit for it. Its a damn theory, not a fact!
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Freud didn't base his theory on myth. His theory that psychological trauma results from early childhood sexual development was coined the "Oedipus/Electra Complex" based on the mythological story. It's no a case where Freud just read some greek myth and decided to create a theory, no one would have believed him if that was the case.

Freud was a physician, and he treated patients of a wide variety, including those who were "mad." Back then, there all psychological problems were lumped into one heap, and there was no cure. Thus, Freud started experimenting with these "mad" people and tried to understand them. The patients he looked at tended to be young women as well (he was biased), and he discovered they had some unresolved anger against their mother, etc. After being exposed to this sort of thing, Freud started to believe that psychological "madness" (or "hysteria") was caused by sexual impulses that have not been adequately addressed.

Either way, Freud isn't really taken seriously these days. If you think a lot of people believe in his stuff, you're probably hanging out with the wrong crowd or something (pseudo-intellectuals). Even Jung gets lambasted, considered more of an ocultist than a mainstream psychologist.

Oh yes, and Laius, King of Thebes, didn't send Oedipus to a "faraway kingdom." He ordered for him to be killed by a servant. The servant instead let Oedipus escape, and he was raised by a shepherd. Just a minor point.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not a big fan of Freud. A lot of his theories are pretty off the wall (So, I chew on my pencils and pens because I wasn't breastfed? WTF?) and while he might have "paved the way", I think his theories are pretty ....insane. He deserves credit, but I'd be wary of any shrink who says they follow Freud's path.

"AHA! YOU HATE YOUR MOTHER BECAUSE SHE TAUGHT YOU TO READ BEFORE YOU STARTED SCHOOL!"

"But that's a positive event in my life, and I don't hate my mother, we have a rather goo-

"AHA! YOU HATE CATS BECAUSE YOU WERE INTRODUCED TO WALNUTS AT THE AGE OF FOUR!"

"But I like cats, in fact I have -"

"My dear, it is clear you need further analysis to help clear you of your demons. Might I suggest coming 5 times a week?"

"But I'm just here for the free tee-shi-"

"AHA! YOUR NUDIST FANTASIES ARE DUE TO THE FACT YOUR FATHER DRESSED YOU IN PINK!"

"But I don't even have nudist fantasies!"

"Denial, my dear, is not just a river in Egypt."

Black Fang wrote:
This would then reinforce their belief in the gods, as well as Hades, so they would be nice little people that obey the leading figures of their time.

<evenlargetnitpick>Hades was a god. Whether he was an Olympian or not, well, the debate rages on in the geekier corners fo the internet (I think so, but meh), but that he is considered a god by the greeks isn't really debatable.</nitpick>

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ever hear of the Freudian interpetation of "the cat in the hat" *shudders*
well this is good to here, he's being debuked, a studen colleguge of mine has English comp 2, for a class, unfortunalty her teacher is going for a Psych degree, now all there poem intreptations and evuations, need to be Freuidan! which means every damn thing is preverted.

her poem was impossible to do(they had to choose one) though my off color joke were funny.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
acid_brain

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I took Psychology when I was in 12th grade. My psychology teacher called him "Sigmund Fraud" :D Some of his ideas are good, but his sexual obsessions make him seem like a ding-dong. My psychology teacher referred to him as a sick puppy, and he said Freud is the type of person that needed to flip some skirts.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never been interested in Freud, but I have read or heard this somewhere about his theories: All men have an Oedipus complex and all women are "envious," if you catch my drift. Don't know if it's entirely accurate, nor do I really care.

He get mentions just like Galen gets mentioned in biology books. Galen was a forerunner in medicine, but not exactly right in much of what he thought. Newton was found to be wrong on several things too. Then the theory of relativity was developed to explain them. He's extremely close under some circumstances. They're mentioned because they were among the first and give a starting point for books.

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Oh yes, and Laius, King of Thebes, didn't send Oedipus to a "faraway kingdom." He ordered for him to be killed by a servant. The servant instead let Oedipus escape, and he was raised by a shepherd. Just a minor point.

Gah, thats right. Well the servant had him sent away for his safety.

SARSadmin wrote:
Either way, Freud isn't really taken seriously these days. If you think a lot of people believe in his stuff, you're probably hanging out with the wrong crowd or something (pseudo-intellectuals).

As I said I never really liked his theories THAT much but I kept on hearing about him all over the place. TV, books, internet, psychology teachers, it wasn't friends really.

Sophita wrote:
Hades was a god. Whether he was an Olympian or not, well, the debate rages on in the geekier corners for the internet (I think so, but meh), but that he is considered a god by the Greeks isn't really debatable.

First of all *applauds the play* :lol: ! Secondly Hades was also the name for the hellish part of the Greek underworld as well as its keeper, the Olympian you speak of.

If Freud stated that he was a sex psychologist he wouldn't be as known or discussed about heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: