Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anyone have EGM review of Suikoden 4?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone have EGM review of Suikoden 4? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have heard that EGM did a review on Suikoden 4, and gave it a 6.5 out of 10 or something. Does anyone have this review? If you can transcrie it, I'll give you 1000 bonus soldiers. Thanks!
Kuromimi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You probably heard about this at GameFAQs, right? Apparently the only good thing about the game was that it was short. That almost seems like they're saying "Thank goodness the piece of crap didn't last longer". I'm expecting nothing above 70% for this game. Chances are, this will wind up being the worst reviewed Suikoden to date. According to gamerankings.com, another magazine has given the game a 62%. I believe there was someone who gave it a 60% at GameFAQs. Don't suppose you know who that is, do you? =P

Even with these poor scores, I'll probably enjoy every minute of it. Of course, I'm not expecting another Suikoden II, so that might help contribute.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've actually looked around for it too and ended up going to the EGM 1UP website and here is what I found.

Quote:
http://ps2.1up.com/do/search?st=suikoden%20IV

For some reason the reviews stop half wat through the letter 'D' so I couldn't find the review, I'll keep an eye on it though.

I'll still buy the game though regardless of reviews because I'd rather like to judge it for myself.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I googled for it, but I didn't find any trace of a review. Concerning its somewhat low score, it won't stop me from buying it, mostly due to the fact that I have 30 out of 40 dollars down on this game already, but also because I personally feel that, all criticisms aside, this installment will be my second favorite of the series, based on the fact that I'm so incredibly hyped for this game. II will always be my favorite, but I think this one will end up being good.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Kuromimi, I know who that was. However, I am trying to get a new review approved after I learned that Suikoden 4 actually has replay value, which brings the score up to 70% for me.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

6.5, 6.0, 5.5. Those were the scores given, and these were the remarks that they gave:
Good: Quick and nontaxing
Bad: Very little personality
Still Outclassed By: Suikoden II

I don't think I'll be able to find a full review until I actually get the magazine, I found these over at Gamefaqs.

Well... dissapointing scores, but I never trust EGM's reviews, they've given very low scores to some of my favorite games of all time...I like the quick and notnaxing part, but I don't believe a little lack of personality should take away 5 points. -_- I felt MGS2 had no personality, and they gave that a great score. Yar, and as for Suikoden 2, that game will never be out classed. ^^

(Now fork over that soldier reward, lol. ;))

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People just have their hopes too high. I hate to say lower you standards, but hey. I'd rather go in not expecting much and being blown away than expecting the game of all games and leaving pretty damn pissed.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, but it is EGM. I seem to remember EGM more or less dropping trou at any big name game after a while - but they might have changed that, I haven't read it since around, oh, 1998/1999. But somehow I doubt it. So EGM's word is not one I would trust above all. Looking it up on Metacritic, they gave SIII 70/100, so at least their scoring is consistant.

(I think I remember them writing a review of Suikoden 2 that was really low, too - something about all the grammatical errors not making it worth it, and that it was stupid to stick with the "ugly" 2d graphics when every other RPG was taking it's steps to 3d? I think that was it, but again, it's been half a decade, so my memory is not the best.)

Or any critics, for that matter. A critic is but one person, who spends an hour - maybe 3/4 hours - with a game. They're really not qualified to rate the entire game and most videogame reviews tend to be poor reporting, forcused mainly on unimportant things (the graphix rule, dooodz!), and more often given into the hype/prestige of a game (OMG FINAL FANTASY 10! 10! 10! - Wait, what was this game about again?) than they do actually report on it. And again, it's one person making a review so it's their opinion - it's very possible it won't line up with yours. I suggest you actually play the game yourself, as yours is going to the be only critic who matters in the end. If you have some doubts over whether or not to buy the game, then I suggest either waiting til the price falls or renting it before you buy.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All of these ratings is one reason why I don't listen to what people say. Even though they get paid to write these reviews, I would personally play it for myself and write my own. If I listened to everything critics siad, I would miss a lot of great stuff. I hope that the game is better than the review that has been given.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah those score aren't that great. The again, most of the games I but get horrible reviews. *points to every Mega Man X game*
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, well said Sophita. The problem is finding "unbiased" people to write the review. Almost everyone has a bias towards some game or another. In reality each game should be judged for itself rather than being compared to other games of a similar nature. Even if an unbiased person writes a review on a game as a stand alone, you're still bound to get people disagreeing with it. Its just a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn't mind however, seeing a few reviews HERE, by suikoden FANS that have actually played Suikoden IV. I've seen the one on GameFAQs (along with some others) and it does help just knowing what some of the elements wil be. I can easily see myself getting hooked on the new "practice battle" thingy.....not to mention I just love mini-games hehe.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that it is hard to find unbiased people to review games. No matter what, someone will like the game, and someone will dislike the game. It just seems that most people that review RPGs are Final Fantasy fanboys. I still don't get why everyone made a big deal out of the death of Aeris. It is a video game for crying out loud!!! If one death made that big of a deal and it wasn't real, who knows what they would do if someone in real life died. Seems like no one makes a big deal when someone from other video games dies if they are FF fanboys. I just wish no reviewer took bribes so that they would give bad games high grades...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, EGM gave Suikoden II a 7 or 7.5. The guy couldn't seem to get over the fact that you can't move diagonally.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it seems to me nowadays that there are more anti-"The series that shall not be named" Fanboys thatn the other way around. The series that shall not be named is actually relativelly good. Especially 6 and 7. The reason many people make a fuss of Aeris's death is because of how cool Sepiroth's coat and sword look when he jumps down and stabs the b**** LoL jk. Guess many people just didn't expect that to happen.

Lebenengel wrote:
Yeah, EGM gave Suikoden II a 7 or 7.5. The guy couldn't seem to get over the fact that you can't move diagonally.

LOL!!! This guy would hate snake and pacman hahahaha. If thats the main reason I see no reason for me not to like this game heh.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but the difference is: EGM has 3 reviewers for each of it's games. This game had 3 reviewers play it and they all had similar results.

But all in all, I completely agree. They gave Suiko III a 7, only one reviewer that time, and I think it's the best ps2 rpg available. Go figure eh? In fact, every single Suiko IV preview EGM gave they wrote something along the lines of,"Who really cares about this series after Suikoden III?". Yet they're raving about Xenosaga episode II when XSI is quite possibly one of the most overrated games this console generation (God the gameplay in that was awful). I trusted EGM's word for about 2 years now, but I really don't anymore, they have definitely become really biased when it comes to rpgs. I expect you to give the same media treatment and respect you give my Suikoden as you give Xenosaga or Final Fantasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: