Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The real religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's been a lot said in this topic and a lot I feel like commenting on but for the most part I will hold my tongue, I do want, however to pick up on this line

iscalio wrote:
Religion is not irrational by definition - it's rather the opposite: religion has to be measured with reason and logic, and if it fails, it has to be abandoned. Judaism, Christianity and Islam measure up (...many protestant churches in the US unfortunately do not, nor does Wicca or Mormonism...)

I was raised as a Mormon so I know quite a lot about Mormon Theology, although my understanding of the overall topic of Theology may not be as great as that of yourself or of SARSadmin I do consider myself to understand Mormonism rather well, so why is it you say that Mormonism is not a logical or rational religion? You may be correct, however from my understand of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints (the full name of the Mormon Church- and yes Mormons ARE Christians) it is a very logical and rational belief system and in fact one of the few that in most regards does conform with science, even though not all of the "higher ups" in the church make their fair share of blunders.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pilika

Uncle Jowy's Army

32500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never said that humans become angels. I said that God created humans and angels in his image. But do you not find it kind of hypocritical that God God would stop humans in their development by mixing their languages expecialy since Christianity is all about unity.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Saben: My comment about Mormonism was inappropriate, I guess. But I only intended to state my own opinion - perhaps I'm wrong. Your question is understandable, but I do not intend to "bash" someone's faith here, so I'll keep my mouth shut - which I should have earlier. I guess you'll understand.

Quote:
and yes Mormons ARE Christians

I wouldn't say so. There are far to many complete contradictions to Christian faith. Catholicism for example has more in common with Islam than with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.

Quote:
and in fact one of the few that in most regards does conform with science

The theology itself has flawed logic, in my opinion. This has nothing to do with scientific conformity.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it isn't my faith anymore, so bash away........ just kidding, obviously because some people might still take offence.

Anyway, though, I think Chrisitians are defined or should be defined as "followers of Christ" which LDS members most definitely are. Although large aspects of the theology are different LDS still subscribes to the core philsophy of Jesus Christ coming to earth, and dying for the sins of mankind. Although the church takes very liberal interpretation with what is in the Bible (which is said to be an inaccurately translated work by LDS authorities) and although it relies heavily on supplemental revelation such as the Book of Mormon and the existance of a modern-day prophet it still is a Christian faith.

As for the "flawed logic" I am mostly just curious as to why you think so. Can you give some examples of things you consider to be flawed? Maybe I can explain how I was taught things and that would help clear things up, maybe you will still have the same opinion but I am just wondering...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sinocard wrote:
I never said that humans become angels. I said that God created humans and angels in his image. But do you not find it kind of hypocritical that God God would stop humans in their development by mixing their languages expecialy since Christianity is all about unity.

No, Christianity is about Christ. I guess you view the Tower of Babel story as one that stops progression or whatever, but that's not really the point of it. How is that hypocritical, anyway? By making everyone different and not an army of clones? Would you rather everyone today speak the same language and look the exact same way?
Death

The Death Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've got enough talking about the serious stuff, so does christian teaching really have santas and angels ?
maybe santa is more (highly) unlikely to exist, but are angels different from holy spirits / ghosts ?

cute kids' stuff :D .

by the way, is it told in the bible how the three-what-men knew about the birth of jesus ?
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There may be talk about the man whom Santa was "made" from. I believe that there are a total of two Nicholas' that could have been the real, first Santa, but there is one for sure, whom we have all heard about.

And yes, angels are much much different. Like I said, they are a seperate entity altogether. They're not ghosts or spirits, which we know as perhaps the wandering souls of the dead. In Christian religion, angels have always been angels, and were made by God, and they will never change. So nobody becomes an angel if they go to heaven. They are immortal and will remain so forever, I guess.

The Three Wise Men and others were told by an angel, about the birth of Christ (which is not in December at all; I think it took place in the spring time) and his name escapes me right now. That whole event in itself is a bit different from what people really know it as...
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I learnt it the wisemen follow the star from the East when it appeared at the time of Christ's birth, however this is where nativity scenes get it wrong- they didn't arrive until Jesus was almost the age of two because of the travelling time and whatnot that took place. On their way to see Jesus the wisemen stopped by Herod who they asked about the child, he had no idea about Jesus at the time but asked them to tell him when they found Christ. After presenting the gifts the wisemen were told by an angel not to tell Herod so they went home another way. After that Herod rounded up all the baby boys under 2 years age, which would have included Jesus to have them killed. Joseph was told by an angel at this point to take his family to Egypt which is where they spent some time as Jesus grew up, escaping slaughter.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, the "three wise men" were all Magi. The Magi were people with knowledge in astrology, dream-reading, herbalism and other types of arcane knowledge who wehre genrally priests in the Zoroastrian religion within the Arsacid (Persian) Empire ruled by the Parthians during the time of Jesus' birth. The Magi were not a professional group, they were actualy a group of gypsy-like people who originally came from the region of Madea. They slowly infilterated the Zoroastrian priesthood using their unique knowledge, transforming the originally monotheistic religion into a polytheist amalgam of folk-piety that strayed from the original Zend-Avesta (Zoroastrian scripture).
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in Christianity the God is supposed to be omnipotent and omnibenevolent. Aside from being able to know and see all, he created all and had a son who redeemed all of our sins for us by dying. He is also infallible, perfect if you will, in every possible way. Lets say that all this is common knowledge.

It's all questions of evil, really. If god tolerates Moral (human) evil without any punishment then he is not Omnipotent. God created our world for us too, and although it is pretty nice, it's full of danger too. an Omnibenevolent god would not have created a world full o fpain and suffering. Natural evil is the evil of disasters and suffering.

So, I tend to put more validation in some of the Eastern Religions. I don't like the idea of a single, solitary diety. This is why I prefer Hinduism (thousands of gods), because of the way that everything from the monsoon rain to the Himalayas has a god inside them. The idea of Karma is also interesting, like when you die you exchange your Karma, and if you come up short you get a crappy next life, but if you have an abundance you get to be re-incarnated as a Tiger or maybe a Person again.

Buddhism also appeals to me because it lacks a principal god. It is also very serene, but I am having trouble changing some of my habits to adapt to the principles. The Eightfold Path is hard to follow, as you have to change your language, all acts, and even your thinking so as to eliminate desire (H-A-R-D!). Unfortunately it is very trendy at the moment, so people either think I'm a poser or a hippie, one or the other.

And those are about all of my thoughts on religion.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing that contradicts god being Omnipotent that I took back in my first year Logic class.

If got CANNOT create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift, then he is NOT omnipotent since he cannot create that stone.

If got CAN create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift, then he is NOT omnipotent since he cannot lift that stone.

Either way he losses out!!! :P There is no such thing as Omnipotent or perfect!
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If god tolerates Moral (human) evil without any punishment then he is not Omnipotent. God created our world for us too, and although it is pretty nice, it's full of danger too. an Omnibenevolent god would not have created a world full o fpain and suffering

That is the most common arguement among athiests. If God loves us, if God is all powerful blah blah blah, we wouldn't suffer. Does God will his people to commit mass genocide? Does God leave puppies on the streets, or force children to be born into a world of poverty? This isn't a paradise- and it never was. Now speaking within a religious context, humans erred, God responded to that. Now you could obviously come back with "Well, if God wanted obedient humans, why did He create them to be totally loyal to Him so they didn't sin in the first place?" I don't know? Satan argued free will? And that was granted?

I don't mean to sound so harsh- it's just that I'm tired of hearing people blame a God that they choose not to believe in, for the cause, or continuing existance of the plight in the world. If you want to get religious again, the greatest thing God ever gave us, was free will. And look how far we as humanity, have taken that. Has God done that? No, I don't believe so. God doesn't invade or conquer land, nor does He abandon children on the streets, and will husbands to abuse their wives. You don't need a God for that to happen.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before I start, I'd like to say that my knowledge of religion is minimal at best. That being said, I find the devout believers of different religions to be very interesting people, and I enjoy hearing them explain just what their religion is and means.

Speaking from personal experience, I've always considered myself open-minded--however I realize today that I was, in fact, pretty close-minded and ignorant when it came to religion. I'm still ignorant of religion in most aspects, but I have learned a little bit from christians of whom I have met in the past.

I met one, and I asked him this question: "I think that a lot of people have faith in a religion to bring meaning to their lives, however I still cannot see a meaning. Why did god create us, and what is our purpose?"

He told me: "Our purpose is to serve God." Of course, I asked why God expected that out of people. He said: "If you created something wouldn't you expect it to do well and serve you? We are His creation."

To another christian, I said: "My only hope of going to heaven is that God accepts good people and not just believers."

He said: "But that's just it, being a good person is not enough. You have to be saved."

Those two people really helped open my eyes to just what religion is. It's not some happy thing in which only good things happen--people believe in religion simply because they believe, not because it is convienient. They accept the truths of their religion, no more and no less. They feel that it is a truth, not a right or a wrong. That's something that I think a lot of people who aren't sure what to believe, or don't believe anything at all don't understand sometimes.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree St. Ajora that if there is a God, he most definitely doesn't want to go imposing His will on humans, what would we learn if he forced us along every step of the way? My belief is that if a God or gods exist then they take a passive role.... They created the earth but now they let things take their own path with minimal interferance; I'm a strong support of free will and will always be.

Lady Nikky wrote:
One thing that contradicts god being Omnipotent that I took back in my first year Logic class.

If got CANNOT create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift, then he is NOT omnipotent since he cannot create that stone.

If got CAN create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift, then he is NOT omnipotent since he cannot lift that stone.

Either way he losses out!!! Razz There is no such thing as Omnipotent or perfect!

The Mormon theology DOES actually have a logical explanation for that, quite simply "God's omnipotence is conditional on the fact that he is perfect, the moment God were to do something imperfect he would cease to be God" by defying his own perfection God would be no longer perfect and would hence cease to be omnipotent, so he could create the rock, but he'd then not be able to lift it. I know Mormon theology differs from a lot of other religions and other Christian theologies in this, by saying God has conditions or limits on his power it flies in the face of what a lot of other religions say. But you can't deny that it is a logical explanation to what is otherwise a rather impossible problem.

I personally feel that what you worship isn't as important as how you worship or the fact that you worship, so I pray, but I pray to the Greek deities. It's not that I believe they actually exist, but I don't believe the mythology of any religion actually exists in the form that the religions say. I like having a number of deities as it helps me organise my thoughts and when praying I know who to pray to and I can feel that there is an understanding between the mythological characters and my desires. I also like the Greek deities because they were not perfect- I could never really feel comfortable with the idea that a perfect being could truly understand what it is like to not be perfect. I draw things from lots of religions, though.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In reading this topic, a couple of quotes have popped into my head.
"Never talk about sex, politics, or religion" - You get into indepth discussions that often lead to dead ends or heated arguments.
"Stick to your guns" - In other words, religion & theology is not one of my intellectual strong points.

The real religion? Mine. Not to seem close-minded (I kinda am) but if I didn't have faith in my religion then it wouldn't be my religion and it would be kinda pointless, huh? Granted, some things contradict science or are not confirmable, but that's where faith comes into the picture. There's my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: