Suikoden United and Informational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

In need of advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I worked for a convenience store in Japan (very different from conveneince stores in the USA), I noticed a few things. First of all, repeat customers deserve extra service. This gives your store a "home-like" quality where the customer feels welcome. This way, you can start acquiring your own "fans" which makes your job all the more enjoyable.

Also, the use of "thank you" is important as with any human contact. Too many sales associates in the USA don't say this critical phrase. It really makes a world of a difference.

Even though dealing with customers is generally a drain on your soul, it will become enjoyable after a while.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh la la. Very helpful advice guys, hopefully I can remain polite enough to remember everything, but I shouldn't have to since it's common sense and courtesy, regarding sales. Hopefully others can benefit from this thread as well. Many thanks.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Greetings and welcome to the working world! It's an interesting experience - and I won't lie - some of it will suck beyond the telling and some of it will be wonderful. Personally, I've worked mainly as a cashier/waitress, but I'll try to tell you everything I've discovered. (...that I can remember anyway.)

- Invest in comfortable shoes. If you're going to be on your feet for 8 (or more!) hours of the day, you should be comfortable. Everyone's idea of comfortable varies, but I find that sneakers with looots of padding are quite comfy. (In my experience, look for ones that are advertised as being good for nurses if you go that route - it usually means that they're designed for someone who will be on their feet several hours a day. They're not always pretty, but frankly, comfort should trump style.)

- Always be polite. Not only will this help you in difficult situations (because the nicer and calmer you are, the more those in charge like you in difficult situations - it's always easier to deal with a calm, rational employee than it is with a screaming one). It makes you look good, and it makes things much easier.

- You will always have customers who are buttmunches. Live with them, learn to brush them off. Then snark on them with fellow employees in the employee's
lounge.

- Never, ever tell people you think that something is the wrong size. Ever. I've gotten embarressed shopping for a younger cousin (who's 10) and being told - many times - that the juniors section was over there, and perhaps I could find something better fitting there. Which would be great...if I were shopping for myself. If someone is buying something you know won't fit them - just shut your mouth, because it's probably a gift, or they're going to get offended because they think you think they're fat. Some people always buy a size smaller than they are. Some people buy things from departments you consider inappropriate. These people are foolish, but they're paying, so try not to embarress them.

- Milk your newbieness. Milk it hard. Anytime you mess up, an embarressed "Sorry, I'm still learning my way around" will draw sympatheticness from many of your consumers. If you have one of those "I'm new!" buttons or blazers, don't be afraid to wear it for a while. (Though don't wear it a ridiculously long period of time.)

- Don't be afraid to ask other workers if you're not sure of something. The time you spend asking will save the time you spend trying to figure out how to undo what you messed up. Learn how you're supposed to contact your superiors and memorize it.

- It helps sometimes to keep a little notebook with information you use a lot - action codes, how to print a gift reciept, layaway, how your store gives out change, etc. I keep one on me at all times when I'm working.

- Sometimes you can get a customer you can start a conversation with. Some people will be stoney, but you'd be surprised how much it helps improve someone's experience if you talk to them. For example, you can say the shirt someone is buying is gorgeous. That will usually make them feel better about their purchase, and some people really appreciate the conversation. For those who remain stony, don't bother trying to create conversation because it will just die. Just package their things.

- You might want to carry around some generic medicine (ibuprofen, etc) for headaches and the like, chapstick, and mints for your mouth - I find aquamints work great (citrus is good, mint is ucky - IMO) because my mouth CONSTANTLY gets dry. Your experience might be different. Mints are usually a good idea though because you never want to have bad breath.

- Buy some cheap pens and keep them with you. Never, ever put nice pens near the register - people will steal them. Put the cheap 25 cent-per-pack bics up there, and people will rarely steal them - and if they do, always keep backups. I would say no less than 5, though you can usually skate by with 2 or 3. If your store provides pens for you, you'll be very lucky - learn to love this.

- Make friends at work - not enemies. The more friendly you are, the nicer people will be to you, the more they will be willing to help you, and the better the chances are that you will be noticed for a promotion. Plus, if you're going to be stuck somewhere for so many hours a day, it helps to be going to a place where you can see some friends.

- Memorize your store's layout. You will be asked - often - where things are. People will often get annoyed if you tell them you don't know, even if you only work on the front end of the store and what they're asking for is all the way in the back.

- Dress nicely. You don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe, but showing up with clean hair, simple makeup (neutrals are your friends - electric orange is not, unless it's that kind of high end women's clothes, and then it is), and proper attire. Basically, look at what other employees are wearing and try to match it.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: