Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

In need of advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: In need of advice Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I recently got my first job =D I start work at a really high class women's clothing store as a sales associate aaaaand..it's my first job. I will receive training, and plus I think I am going to be given a book to study on sales and whatnot...but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else works as a sales associate and can give me some good advice on starting out and how not to be nervous, and what to say, and what not. I mean, it's my first job, and I must have said something right if I got hired, but still I'm a bit scared about totally messing up :( Any help? Please...
Sarah

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have loved to help if I had known anything about sales and business, but I am completely clueless when it comes to speaking and dealing with other people. I am sure, however, that you will be able to do well. It's your first job; all you really need is to get used to it, and you'll be fine. That's how everything starts; just give yourself some time.

Last edited by Sarah on Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The main thing to remember when dealing with customers, is keeping your cool. Try not to let them get under your skin no matter how much you may feel like slapping them.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still working at my first job as a sales associate at a movie store for a year and a half.

I remember when I first started out, nobody told me anything, none of my co-workers really talked to me. I had to be the one asking questions, and more often than not I would screw something up before they told me the right way to do it. The important thing to remember is that it's just like being back in kindergarten--you're learning new social roles in an environment that is unfamiliar to you. Just don't get your head down if you struggle, because it happens to everybody. All I can suggest is the following advice:

1) Never be late
2) Be overly polite to your co-workers and the customers (as annoying and undeserving of politeness they may be)
3) Don't beat up on yourself if you make a mistake
4) Show enthusiasm for your work and learning new tasks, your boss will like it

Congrats for getting hired and good luck!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clothing Store, huh? So sometime soon, I'm thinking that they'll ask you to convince customers to apply for a credit card. Here's a few things to remember:

1. If they pay by cash, don't bother asking them to sign up for a credit card. That means they're in a hurry.

2. If they have over $100 worth of purchases, I think you can get them to apply for one. But be nice and remember the cash rule.

General Advice:

1. Smile. Even if it hurts to do so.

2. Ask for help when you need it. The trick is to figure out what problems may come up, before they happen. Preparation is the key.

3. Everything Nutflush said is absolutely true. However, I too have to stress the enthusiasm and kindness parts. It makes everyone appreciate you and it gives you the sense that you aren't alone in your work.

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is good advice Lord Dredd, I should have remembered that when I was serving customers at Maccas ha ha. Some people just need a good slap though, it may often be unavoidable... Nothing wrong with that anyway...whoops sorry that is not really advice.

I suppose everyone is right though, just stay calm and try to deal with any crap the customers try to dish out to you, it is a daily occurrence when dealing with any job that involves serving the public, customer service in general... Hey I am the complete opposite of someone who deals with crap from customers, and I managed to deal with those sort of people all right, so you should have no problem St. Ajora. Good luck in the future anyway and I hope everything all works out for you. Later.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks guys. The main rule that I am picking up from you guys, as well as other people I've asked, is to SMILE and be polite. I hadn't realized how important it was as an employee; but a customer. I HATE dealing with cranky people who do not crack a smile. I don't want to become one of those people >> So I guess I will have to think of being nice, and helpful as my top priority, and not getting my head down, because I'm awfully hard on myself. Thanks for those who have contributed so far; any more is well appreciated!
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Dredd wrote:
The main thing to remember when dealing with customers, is keeping your cool. Try not to let them get under your skin no matter how much you may feel like slapping them.

Naw, just haul out and slap them. It'll make you feel SO much better!
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

another thing to keep in mind, unfortunately, it's a negative area; there are some people, no matter how much you do for them, will never be satisfied. don't beat yourself up over these people-as long as you know you gave your best *and most likely, then some* you have no worries.

also, there may be a lot of 'questionable' returns, where it's obvious the item has been worn *possibly more than once* yet the buyer still wants to return it-best thing to do is seek out your supervisor and let them handle this type of problem, since it could get ugly fast.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, don't be afraid to pass the buck if there is a difficult customer or questionable return. Let those who have the experience handle the situation, then observe what they do--chances are if they are good sales reps, you'll learn the right way to handle it.

Oh yeah, I should note on the being nice to your boss/co-workers, you wanna be on your best behavior but if you feel like you're being walked on because you're knew don't be shy to speak up. I got walked on early on, and it takes a while before they start respecting you as a person, not just as a worker after that.

Umm... what else... oh! I might not have to tell you this, and it seems very obvious, but BATHE BEFORE GOING TO WORK!!! People will know if you stink. Dress nicely (unless you have a uniform) and take care of your hygiene. Very important, sometimes it needs to be said!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

best behavior doesn't mean kissing butt; just be yourself, do your best and the rest should fall into place.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
best behavior doesn't mean kissing butt; just be yourself, do your best and the rest should fall into place.

If you wanna get that promotion, you better start a kissing frenzy, my fellow islander. *Just kidding*

As several said, Smile, for heavens sake smile, I don't want you to become an "evil really high class women's clothing store sales associate!!"
They give me the creeps!

Just be yourself and take it easy, and remember, if you fall, just get up and keep walking.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never worked in a clothing store or any store but I can tell you how workers act toward me (costumer).

I also never shopped from a women's store... obviously, so I'm just going to mention things I notice in shops in general.

You should:

- Try being cheerful and relaxed, be your self and act normal because that is why they hired you, right?
- Try keeping a smile on your face even when you don't feel like it, but keep your smile to minimum when the situation doesn't support it (we don't want anyone smiling on our face when we feel uncomfortable).
- Be patience at all time no matter how much the costumer is annoying (that's me), and remember that the customer isn't sticking with you for the whole day it's just a one hour (be patience especially toward the old women).
- Try being helpful to the costumer by offering them your opinions/suggestions but try not to force these things on them.
- Always be polite to the customer, and keep you voice calm.
- Talk to the costumer but don't talk too much.

Hmm, that' everything I can tell you really, best of luck in your new job St.Ajora.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I worked in a clothes shop before and i had to learn what not to do the 'hard' way. basically all of what everyone's said so far and...

- keep your body language possitive, don't cross your arms or show any signs of the slightest bordom that you may have.

-Don't look at the floor, and don't move to much eg looking at your shoes, silently hum a tune in your head... because you might get carried away. :wink:

I should've posted here before I went to do my work experience at school...oh... :?
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm also working as a saleslady in the gifts and phonecards business for almost three months and I'm still quite rusty. I've been warned quite a lot of times by my boss (whoops) and now she said I've improved a bit. I still remember quite a few that she has mentioned.
- Try to keep yourself busy even when there's nothing to do. When there's stuff that needs to be refilled, go do that. If the place needs some extra spring cleaning, do that one.
- Work together as a team. <-- I had a really tough time with this

Quite a lot has already been mentioned. I still have a rotten attitude and I think the other tips would help. Thanks ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: