Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dreamcast games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Dreamcast games? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just got a second-hand dreamcast pretty cheaply. Anyone know either firstly any decent Dreamcast games (prefereably RPG's) and secondly where I can get hold of said games?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only two RPGs on the Dreamcast worth getting are Skies of Arcadia (Legends on the Gamecube is better, though) and Grandia II, and both should be relatively easy to find. Try Gamestop, EB Games, their respective websites, and eBay.

As for non-RPGs, try some of the many great fighters or action games. Also, if you ever find it, try Armada. That's one of the better games on the Dreamcast.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even if you aren't a fan of fighting games, you should buy Soul Calibur. Even at the present moment, it still stands out both in graphics and gameplay. Not to mention the best cast of characters ever.
Well, you get the point don't you. It's one of the top games of dreamcast.

-Hrestelan
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you like action RPGS, you might like Evolution and it's sequel. SKies of Arcadia is a great game, and Grandia II is quite good as well. Shenmue is an interesting experiment; it's worth trying if you can find it cheap enough (I got a copy for 5 bucks recently). If you love Shenmue, then Omikron might be worth checking out as it's a similar game. Phantasy Star Online is great if you like MMORPG games, but there isn't a dreamcast network around anymore, so you can only play the offline version of the game.

The dreamcast has a ton of great games, but RPGs really aren't it's strong point.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Smirn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with the above poster's remark that RPGs aren't the Dreamcasts biggest forte. Which is quite a shame seeing that the ones that are available on it - Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online and Grandia II to name a few - are very good games.

The Dreamcast version of Grandia II is in fact loads better than its port to the PS2 (but then again, there aren't many ports that are superior than the original version). It's not quite similar in style than the Suikoden or FF games though, its battle system leans more towards the one used in the Star Ocean games, and it's more of a dungeon crawler.

I don't think that I need to elaborate on Phantasy Star Online; everything and its contrary have been said about this game. Indeed, Phantasy Star Online is a very peculiar game that marked the beginning of a new style of game on console: the online rpg. Although PSO doesn't technically belong to the role-playing genre, it's very hard to make it fit into another category. The Sonic Team developers decided to totally ignore the rich past of this mythical series and start on a new ground: if you're looking for another PS4 here, you're in for a huge disappointment. In my own experience, the game is as addictive as crack, alcohol or nicotine. The quest for rares or the race to level 100 are enough to keep you playing even though the game isn't interesting in itself. So I really won't comment this to just everyone.

Now I see that I actually did elaborate on it. :\

Skies of Arcadia is a gem. Taking about 60 hours to finish on your first time through, it's an epic RPG and nearly every moment will be enjoyed wholeheartedly. The game does have a problem with random battles and a minor flaw here and there, but the fun factor of this game more than makes up for it.

The Evolution games I have never played, but I've been hearing mixed reactions from them.

Shenmue II then. It's refreshing. Shenmue II may very well be one of the best games Sega has ever done. It's not perfect though, but it shouldn't be missing from your Dreamcast collection.

Other, non-RPG games that are worth owning or at the very least playing are:

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Capcom VS SNK 2
Soul Calibur
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi (2)
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II are great games! They're pretty much the only reason I decided to get a Dreamcast.

And yes, the slowdowns in the PS2 Grandia II are pretty bad. It really takes allot out of a game if you have to constantly have to worry about things like that.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SOA i hear is something of a dungeon crawler (at least the dc version is with its higher random battle rate) and grandia 2 is well i never played it. I do know that you can probally find the ps2 version of g2 for around or below the price of the dc one. But if its anything like grandia 1 then it will suck mucho big time.

The only other game i would bother to play on dc is soul caliber.

Oh and i cant vouch for the game but i always wanted to try out record of lodoss war for the dc. Its supposedly a diablo clone and a action rpg. Love the anime so the game has to be somewhat good. This is one of those rare pricey dc games, last time i saw it it was like 45 bucks.

U may luck out as there isnt but a few dc games that arent below 10 bucks in price (most are 5 and below) Also if you look on ebay i am sure someone wants to get rid of thier dc collection. And since its a dreamcast it cant be going for a great deal of money.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Smirn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene wrote:
And since its a dreamcast it cant be going for a great deal of money.

What makes you think that? Because the system died prematurely? That really doesn't make it any cheaper than, say, a PSX, which was a massive hit. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure you'll have to dive into your mothball wallet to get the dibs that some people ask for it.

You seem to have quite degrading sentiments towards the system which is pretty unfair. It was and still is a great console with quite some magnificent games on it as well. Sega just ****ed up with the marketing and various other things.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene wrote:
And since its a dreamcast it cant be going for a great deal of money.

What makes you think that? Because the system died prematurely? That really doesn't make it any cheaper than, say, a PSX, which was a massive hit. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure you'll have to dive into your mothball wallet to get the dibs that some people ask for it.

You seem to have quite degrading sentiments towards the system which is pretty unfair. It was and still is a great console with quite some magnificent games on it as well. Sega just ****ed up with the marketing and various other things.

~smirn~

Meh i'm not a fan of any system that doesent have rpg's. DC didnt really. I like sega saturn more because it had Dragon Force and Shining force 3-scenario 1- on it, granted those are the only 2 saturn games but it made the SS worth owning. PErhaps u feel the same about 2 or 3 games on the dc.

(dont even get me started on how bad the controller is.....although its nothing compared to the original xbox controller desginated the Controller "F" for fattie.)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene, you're making it sound like the Dreamcast had very few games worth playing which was certainly not true. Of all the consoles of it's era, I think that it actually probably had the best Quality to Quantity ratio. Most of the games on the Dreamcast are good to great - very few are bad or even average. The reason that the DC sunk was not bad games - it was the fact that Sega had burned people before (the Saturn was still fresh in mind) and the PS2 hype, which was HUGE. I remember being told not to buy a Dreamcast (when it was released!) because everyone knew that the PS2 was going to be much better. I didn't listen, but I bet a lot of people did. Despite the fact that the PS2 had a very mediocre opening line-up in America (the only game worth owning at all was Tekken Tag Tournament) there was a huge craze to get it. People were paying 1000's of dollars just to get one. The Dreamcast never stood a chance with that onslaught.

Anyway, there are lots of good games on the Dreamcast, both released locally and abroad. Just because it's a bit short on one genre doesn't make it a horrid console. It might not have that much in the RPG sector. (Though if you're willing to mod it, there actually are a ton of RPGs that never got released here.)

Eggith Cyrene wrote:

(dont even get me started on how bad the controller is.....although its nothing compared to the original xbox controller desginated the Controller "F" for fattie.)

Am I the only person who loves the Dreamcast controller? I find it much more comfortable than the XBox or DC controllers. (Though no controller is as good as the Saturns. :mrgreen: )

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Swedish Ninja Pirate

7156 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dont know any other RPG's then those already mentioned but i suggest you try some of the great Schmups that exist on the console. Ikaruga, Gigga Wing 2 are two really good examples.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene, you're making it sound like the Dreamcast had very few games worth playing which was certainly not true. Of all the consoles of it's era, I think that it actually probably had the best Quality to Quantity ratio. Most of the games on the Dreamcast are good to great - very few are bad or even average. The reason that the DC sunk was not bad games - it was the fact that Sega had burned people before (the Saturn was still fresh in mind) and the PS2 hype, which was HUGE. I remember being told not to buy a Dreamcast (when it was released!) because everyone knew that the PS2 was going to be much better. I didn't listen, but I bet a lot of people did. Despite the fact that the PS2 had a very mediocre opening line-up in America (the only game worth owning at all was Tekken Tag Tournament) there was a huge craze to get it. People were paying 1000's of dollars just to get one. The Dreamcast never stood a chance with that onslaught.

Anyway, there are lots of good games on the Dreamcast, both released locally and abroad. Just because it's a bit short on one genre doesn't make it a horrid console. It might not have that much in the RPG sector. (Though if you're willing to mod it, there actually are a ton of RPGs that never got released here.)

Am I the only person who loves the Dreamcast controller? I find it much more comfortable than the XBox or DC controllers. (Though no controller is as good as the Saturns. :mrgreen: )

Hey i just call them like i see them, the only good game that i really liked was soul caliber. And as far as modding unless many rpg's came out for the uk and other english speaking countries theyd be lilttle point to doing that. But hey at the very least dc earns credit for having a modem so when it got dropped to 50 bucks it was a great makeshift internet browser (despite graney pictures)

Swedish Ninja Pirate

7156 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am I the only one that thinks the XBox controller is a rip-off of the Dreamcast controller?
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the controller F and the dreamcast controller do bear a resemblance, i'll grant ya that. However the dc controller doesent weigh or is as big as shamoo

Swedish Ninja Pirate

7156 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No you got that right. Cant stop thinking abot this one
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-03-25&res=l
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: