Suikoden United and Illegal Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fooly Cooly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martouf

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Fooly Cooly Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like this series

Last edited by Martouf on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Martouf

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you sat down to watchFLCL[a.k.a. Fooly Cooly or Furi Kuri in Japanese] and come out of it scratching your head, your're not alone. Easily one of the wackiest and most thought-provoking series to mack its way to the U.S.,FlCLis the story about a young boy named Naota who must deal with the pains of growing up and interacting with the adult world.

Disgusted by the way adults behave, Naota would like nothing more than to remain a child. The sudden appearance of Haruko, a pinkhaired alien who rids a Vespa and wields a guitar lick a baseball bat, throws Naota'a world into a tizzy and thrusts him into the world of adults.

Did I forget to mention that the world of adults involves monsters popping out of his forehead and then him battling said monsters with the heart of an all-star baseball batter? If the plot wasn't crazy enough, Production I.g and Gainax employ an unheard-of sketchy style of animation that goes so far as to animate an entire scene as if the audience were reading a manga!
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love F.L.C.L it was one the first anime series i've seen (which was around a few months back) There were some parts that I didn't understand though and maybe you guyz and galz here can enlighten me on that.

1- haruko said that the right head is required to open a dimension/portal to tranfer monsters right? how come ( i think in the thrid episode) monster came out of the girls head? (the one about the curry and the mayors daughter)

2- When That eyebrow dude talks about atamus, we see a picture of a human in black with flourescent red stripes all over his body... how come in the end atamus turns out to be a giant eagle like thing?

Anyways, I like this and would recommend it to anyone who aren't easily confused with wierd plotlines... great series.

*warning-don't use 'z' in the place of 's' when you post; it's annoying, not cool*
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I didn't really like it. Not that I wasn't confused at some points of it but for the most part I got what was going on. I just thought it was a little bit boring and stupid thats all. But hey I can see how people would like it and would even think it was funny. To each his own as I say.
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love this show...the robot/maid and the weird chick who was dating the brother of the main character were interesting. I didn't like Haru-chan very much, I dunno why. Maybe cause she was just using the main character.

This is a great show to watch when it's one in the morning and you're high on caffeine...ahhh, good times. 8)
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the music more than the actual show. The aspects of it that I liked most were the combat scenes and the comedy. I especially liked how characters fought using motorized guitars.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The show didn't really try to make much sense, to be fair...though in my understanding it is one big metaphor for adolescence.

All I know is that I like it, and that one scene that parodied South Park was TOTALLY unexpected and hilarious. :mrgreen:

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Could any of you describe to me what the whole basis for the series is? You know what it's about who the characters are and so on? I have never actually heard of it so I would like to know about it and who knows I might catch it one day or something of that nature I dont know yet. I am sure i have heard that name somewhere at some point in the past but I cant remember it right this second for some reason.

Blood Angel Sages

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fooly Cooly, I think it is a halarious show in which some pink haired girl (can't remember the name) comes and wacks a kid named taco I think on the head with a gutair and things such as monsters and robots come out of his head and when some robot named lord somthing eats him it transforms into a gigantic cannon which blows up the enemy. It can be odd and sick at times and just weird like some goverment man whith giant fake eyebrows. later on taco gets a gautar and bats away a huge goverment satilite bomb. after that it just get wheirder. but I had no trubal folowing the story but I am not an expert! :P
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh... I love FLCL. It's absolutely crazy, which is good, but that's not really why I love it so much.

FLCL's really a much simpler yet deeper story than it seems. Wrapped up in all the insanity is just a boy coming of age. Naota is stuck on the delicate peak of puberty (The horn's not really just a "horn") between childhood and adulthood. He's still very childlike and immature, but at the same time he carries an inner nature that yearns to grow up. Yet all around him are adults who are all hypocrites and immature themselves. Naota's father, grandfather, Amarao and teacher are all still children and irresponsible, but they all "responsible" adults. Ninamori is an adult stuck in a child's body, but she is trapped there and can't escape. She too wants to be mature, but realizes that she is still a child. Then comes Haruko, an adult who breaks all of the rules in Naota's life, ripping him and Mamimi from their comfortable shell.

Haruko is an adult who, despite her madness, is more mature than any other adult figure Naota has, except his brother, who is gone. The whole town is a symbol of childhood, and at the the end of the series as Naota experiences that awkward halfway feeling of adolesence maturity the mists obscure any hope of reaching the "true adult" world of the outside. Haruko represents all that to him. Even though she manipulates him and abuses him she is a free spirit who is not confined to the rules of childhood the town lives under. But Naota too learns that he's still just a kid.

That's why I love FLCL, because with all of its madness there is still something to pick apart behind all of it. You may think my explanation's a bunch of crap, but alright, there's still something more there. Part of the joy of the series is just figuring out what it is.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew gave a really good explanation of the series, but let me say this about FLCL.

If you're bored with all the anime out in general, then you'll very much enjoy the oddities, and unexpected events in this series. If you're an anime infant like myself, chances are you'll think this series is too weird for your taste. There are times when this does not apply, but for the most part, it's practically true. It's certainly worth a look no matter how much anime you watched, but staying with it and understanding it is a whole different thing.

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did FLCL only have six episodes in total? If so, why did they make the series so short? I thought it was great.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it was only six episodes long, it was an OVA. Not a television series, not a movie, but somewhere in between.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it was based upon a two volume manga novel. So the show can't be too long... And yeah, it's 6 episodes long. I think it's considered a short series....

Although I agree it was brilliant, and the music was the best part, but the characters were really great, the story was hillarious, and the animation is some of the best I've seen in any show, it's beautiful. The story is the most unique and strange things I've ever seen, but when it comes to anime and video games things are so cliche that something like FLCL is much, much welcome in my books.

So yesh, ranks very highly on my list of favorite shows, not because the story is the coolest amoung them, but because the story is the most unique out of all of them, and some of the lines in he show gave me chills, but it was equalized with a bunch of great laughs... heh, I highly reccomend this show.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure that the anime came before the manga. But yes, it was an OVA, which iswhy it was so high quality and so short.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: