Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Historical Trivia!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was Pilika, but I sure don't know the second answer.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes it is Pilika and the answer is that the name Pilika comes from the language of the Ainu's, the indigenous people of Japan's north-most island, Hokkaido. It basically means something along the lines of "pretty", "beautiful", "cute", "lovely", etc. I found the link when looking into endangered languages at Wikipedia. Those of you that can read Japanese will see the answer right there.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8C%E8%AA%9E

You can ask Random Guy, since you got the first half.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow! Interesting! I had no idea Pilika was an ainu name/word! I really should have... but somehow I never thought of it. (And the manga/anime Shaman King even gives evindence to the name's origin as well... since there's an ainu character in that who is called pilika.) Still I had no idea.
Ya' learn something new every day!

and Ainu an 'endangered language? *sigh* it's practically extinct isn't it? It's so sad... at the end of the year 'congratulate the seniors' party in the linguistics dept at my school, we played an 'oppressed language' alphabet game, naming off an oppressed language for each letter. It's so horridly sad, but we had very little trouble getting through the alphabet twice. Ainu was our 3rd 'A' language.

(Sorry, this wasn't a trivia question or an answer. I didn't mean to be off-topic, but I can't help but stray a bit.)
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry guys but I don't have a question to ask, I suppose I really should have thought of one before I replied.
I had a whole bunch of questions but I asked them all in the Falena forum, so it would be kinda unfair asking them here aswell.

So someone else can ask a question instead.
camus_greenhill

Office of the Merchant Guild Secretary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll take the next question:

1. What is the common thread between Sanchez, Leona, and Anne...it's not the obvious one of switching party members.

2. What was the tarvern in which the United States Marine Corps was founded in?

Have fun!
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They all offer the hero wine?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I don't know if its what you are looking for, but all of their places of work were torched to the ground. Sanchez helped burn down the original hideout in Lenankamp, Leona's tavern in the mercenary fort burned down by Luca, and Anne's tavern in Karaya was burned down by the Zexen Knights. That also means they all had to relocate their businesses.
camus_greenhill

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben had the answer I was looking for, but KoRnholio has a good point too.

I'm still waiting for the answer to #2 though.

Happy guessing.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, nobody is answering it, so I looked it up. Tun Tavern.

The second part of the question doesn't really seem to be working as well as it could have. The real-life questions just seem to be too obscure for anybody to know unless they're really learned in the subject already. It seems the pattern is....

1. Somebody asks a question
2. Somebody answers the Suikoden part the next day
3. Nobody knows the real-life part until somebody gives up and looks it up online a half a week later.

You think we could do more interesting Suikoden trivia if we decided to forget about the real-life counterparts? It was a good idea but doesn't seem to be helping. On the subject of the Suikoden questions, I thought camus_greenhill's one was really good. If we could get more questions like that, this would be a lot more interesting.

In any case, since Saben answered the original questions, I suppose he would get to ask a new one now.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree we should forget about the real life counterpart... Not everyone is well versed in worldly history and whatever even if they're well versed in Suikoden...
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, this has really, really started to stagnate, so I'll just take the reins and ask a question now.

Why wasn't Sanchez killed for being a traitor? Include explanations for each time his life was spared. Also, what happened to him as the result of the last instance of mercy towards him?

I'll make it interesting with an unrelated followup question, to make you guys really work.

What is the name of the village that the little Thomas(who ran off to Mt. Hei-Tou to be saved by big-only-in-comparison Thomas and his gang of lovable misfits) from? You won't find this answer in SuikoX or Suikosource.
camus_greenhill

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, in part to LunarBlade, I have found the answer to the second question.

It is the village of Nor that little Thomas was from, before being rescued by Master Thomas, Cecile, Juan, and Piccolo.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excellent. Now if somebody could answer the first question...
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If my memory serves me well, at Shazarazade when the explosion was set off and Mathiu was injured, I think it was Flik who was going to cut Sanchez's head off, but Mathiu or Viktor told him not to and that it would solve nothing. And after the war Lepant decided punishing Sanchez would be too much of a shock to the new republic, and thus he forced him to leave and swear that he would never again make contact with any Toran Republic officials. Then Sanchez entered Qlon temple.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a good enough answer. I might have added though, at Shazarazade, Mathiu's reasoning was that it would've weakened the morale of the Liberation Army to hear that someone in such a high position was a traitor.

You can ask a question now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: