Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Forcing foreign people to learn our language
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I think if you go to somone's house then you should speak the language they want you to speak and if you go to someone's store then you should speak the language they want you to speak and if you go to their country you should speak the language they want you to speak. So if McDonalds opened up a French branch in Australia if I wanted to go there then I should be expected to speak enough French to go through the processes required to order a burger, even if it is Australia where the official language. If McDonalds was sensible in a country like Australia they would make it a bilingual store where people could order in French or English (or a solely English speaking store like most of them are already anyway), but they have the right to choose any language for private communication.

Immigrants however should still need to know the official language for citizenship in addition to as many other languages as they want to know and government offices should never provide another language at the exclusion of the national language. Good customer service dictates that translations SHOULD be made available, but excellent customer service isn't always worth the dollars it costs. Providing things in non-official languages is a politeness, it isn't something that should be required.

And gumby_30, don't worry about it. Sometimes isn't easy to know how someone means to say a certain thing. Your words alone were a little bit harsh but maybe you didn't mean them that way, just try to think about your arguments a bit more in the future so you can decide if they are appropriate and also decide how to best say them so people will read them in the way you want them to be read. There is nothing wrong with having an argument and having different points of views and there is even less wrong with changing your mind when other people share their points of view if you feel the new point of view is "right".

gumby_30 wrote:
I think I might be falling in love with a Bosnian.

What do you mean you might be falling in love with a Bosnian, aren't you sure if you are going to fall in love with her or not, yet? ;) Just kidding... :mrgreen:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Fang wrote:
I agree with you on just about every level....that is if we ASSUME that this topic is USA orientated, which is what I think most USA citizens are thinking. Those that live outside of the states (such as VikiFanatic and myself) talk about the subject from a GLOBAL point of view.

No, I specified the U.S. because VikiFanatic said:

Quote:
know that a lot of foreign people visit the United States everyday, but that doesn't mean they must be forced to speak English.

Because of that, I thought his first paragraph was directed specifically towards the U.S. I'm kind of hurt that you would think that just because someone is in the U.S., they can't think from a global point of view. :/

As far as world wide, well, of course people shouldn't be forced to speak English because there are plenty of countries that do not have many citizens who can speak it. I do think that if you live in parts of Asia, Europe, or possibly Africa (I must confess I am not that knowledgable on Africa's language barriers), you're more likely to be bilingual (not necessarily with English as a first or second language) because you're more likely to be doing business with nearby countries who don't utilize the same language as you. If you live in Spain on the border with France, then you'll likely learn to speak French if you haven't - because chances are, you want to communicate with the French so you can do business with them. The U.S. doesn't have that need for bilingualness so much because the states all speak the same language and most of Canada speaks English (possibly you might see more francophones in Maine, but I'm not sure on that so I'm not using it.) The only real need for this in the U.S. comes in the south, for doing business with Mexico, and, sure enough, it's present there.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's already been stated that it was about usa; if it were about the global community, then the main language of country x would apply. no, to expect someone vacationing in the us to learn our language fully is ridiculous, especially if that is the only time they expect to encounter english speaking citizens.

we're referring to those who LIVE here, not visit; living in a country yet refusing to learn the main *yes, even though there is a large hispanic population, english is still the main language* language of the country *declared legally or not* is foolish; the individuals will at some point in time *the exceptions would be elderly who can't/won't adjust* need to interact with others outside their little worlds, making basic communication necessary-so, yes, learning that language is necessary.

if you were to relocate to another country, a person would need to learn it, since you won't necessarily have the luxury of coming across others that will speak your native language-to expect that is asinine; another country/culture, your choice to be there, a wiser, practical person would adapt to fit in and try to be a part of the new country's ways, rather than cling stubbornly to what held true in their old country.

*when in rome, do as the romans do-speak italian; when in japan, japanese, etc.*

it's called applying common sense, which in today's world, is rapidly going extinct; too many people are self oriented, expecting the world to change to fit their needs-life doesn't work that way, you are but one of many, YOU have to change, not the world.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gumby_30 wrote:
I disagree in a small way. I do not think the problem will correct itself as long as Mexico continues to print pamphlets encouraging its citizens to jump the border illegally.

Jord

P.S. Social pressure is NEVER enough for the over-proud

Well, you also have to factor in ECONOMIC pressure there...

It's impossible to get a good job in the US without at least a bare understanding of English, so if people want to advance, they will learn it. I think the main problem here is that the newest immigrant groups by and large don't want to learn the language, unlike all the immigrant groups before who WANTED to learn it as quickly as possible, so that they could advance in society...immigrants today tend to ignore that advancement, or demand it rather than earn it.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gumby_30 wrote:
Everything else; yeah, perhaps I was a little harsh, especially considering that I think I might be falling in love with a Bosnian. I apologize if I caused offense.

Aite well first of all its alright as it is hard in a lot of ways to see some things from different perspectives until you're made aware of them, especially if you have a heavy bias like you did. As for the Bosnian you're falling for......good on you.....tell her "Volim te"! Pronounced "volle-m(not em, but m as in moo without the double o) te (as in tennis without the nnis part). It means "I love you/I like you" and hopefully it works for you. I'm sure you can find a good opportunity to use it. Good luck. :wink:

Pineapple Queen wrote:
Because of that, I thought his first paragraph was directed specifically towards the U.S. I'm kind of hurt that you would think that just because someone is in the U.S., they can't think from a global point of view. :/

I didn't mean that at all oh fair and beautiful Sophita. :wink: Well in my defense (well not really, I'm kinda just explaining what I meant heh) I didn't point fingers as I don't really like to do that and the topic in general got carried that way with many members. I do deeply apologize for any hurt I've inflicted upon you. :wink:

I NEVER implied that the people in US can't think from a global point of view but that this topic kept on getting turned (as do many others) towards the US perspective. I know it is the most well known country in the world but even so I feel that the world perspective on ANY situation is more of an issue. Especially in a place like this where we have a mixture of culture clashing together.
Blaze Silven

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think that its not the U.S as a whole just a certain group of people who think that If you don't know how to speak our language, then you don't belong here. That is only partially true up to a point. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but think about it: What if someone came into you work or school and that person didn't know how to speak your language. how would you communicate? You are not going to take the time to learn theirs, because you are in a country where your language dominates. You also want to help them, but you don't know where to start. it is really confusing for me to understand something I don't know.
or until I die
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I NEVER implied that the people in US can't think from a global point of view but that this topic kept on getting turned (as do many others) towards the US perspective. I know it is the most well known country in the world but even so I feel that the world perspective on ANY situation is more of an issue. Especially in a place like this where we have a mixture of culture clashing together.

Perhaps, but the United States takes in a ton of immigrants from around the world, and it is truly a nation composed entirely of immigrants and their descendants. The issue is whether people in that country will accept the newer immigrants and the problems that come with...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zanmato Silven wrote:
Personally I think that its not the U.S as a whole just a certain group of people

Of course....I wouldn't say that the entire nation, race or any group thinks alike. Its always the individuals.

Zanmato Silven wrote:
What if someone came into you work or school and that person didn't know how to speak your language. how would you communicate? You are not going to take the time to learn theirs, because you are in a country where your language dominates. You also want to help them, but you don't know where to start. it is really confusing for me to understand something I don't know.

It's easier than you might think actually. I've done this before. Certainly you wouldn't try and learn their language. They'd try and learn the language that is being used in the school as they'd fail just about everything if they don't understand the language. Hand and body gestures do make it possible though.

Lunarblade wrote:
Perhaps, but the United States takes in a ton of immigrants from around the world, and it is truly a nation composed entirely of immigrants and their descendants. The issue is whether people in that country will accept the newer immigrants and the problems that come with...

I understand this but many other countries are the same. Australia is a great example.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Forcing foreign people to learn our language Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

If you're going to live in a primarily English speaking society, then you are going to have to learn English if you wish to be part of that community. If you move to Spain, and don't even attempt to learn Spanish, then you're not going to get very far because most jobs will want a minimum level of some Spanish proficientcy.

I love when people make sense :) I got fed up real quick with people not speaking English after working in retail. I'd spend 10 minutes trying to decipher their "ehhh's" and hand motions, and it's a bit ridiculous. I understand it's a hard language to learn. Probably one of the hardest. But I'm in a predominantly english speaking country, 99% of the people I know speak english. Why is it always me who has to make the effort to understand. Sure, I'm not saying "learn english or I will ignore you", but it would certainly make it a lot smoother. If I were to go to Europe (I'd really love to) I'd do my best to learn the language, and study in advance. I'll probably still sound like a moron, but at least I'm making the effort. And as an "outsider", I should be doing so. So, whatever, scream "that's not fair man!" all you want. I'm not saying laws should be amde, it's just common courtesy,a nd will help them just as much.

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If they're not here to, you know, live, then no.

But, if they plan on living here, it helps a lot to know the primary language of the country. Otherwise, you might miss a lot. Not to mention, it would be frustrating for those who don't speak the immigrant's language. Don't expect much out of living here if you can't communicate with or understand most of the population.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: