Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Forcing foreign people to learn our language
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Daycon wrote:
English might as well be our official language. I don't think its wrong to make them learn it. Its beneficial for them to do so anyway. Life in America is English, whether its the official language or not, so why should it be wrong to make it mandatory for immigrants to learn it?

What authority are you to say someone HAS to do something, even if they don't want to? What authority is anyone for that matter? Sure its beneficial to them and I'm all for people learning more languages and gaining a better general understanding of just about everything but that doesn't mean anyone has to FORCE anyone to do it. It is THEIR choice by any and every moral right out there. If they choose not to want to learn English then so be it. It'll be a pain for them if they live in an English speaking country and don't know the language, but they shouldn't need to speak it as it is THEIR choice to be made. The only exception I see here is if they want to attain citizenship in which case it should be mandatory to have a certain level of English. People are too quick to judge others without first putting themselves in the shoes of those that they judge. The way I see it, its best to just let people decide for themselves. They'll realize soon enough if they really need to learn another language or not. No one wants to suffer when they can live a normal life so if learning a language will help them achieve that I'm sure they'll try.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I somehow agree with Black Fang... Mandatory education of the English language is still unfair. People should have a choice on whether they need to learn it or not. I know that a lot of foreign people visit the United States everyday, but that doesn't mean they must be forced to speak English. I don't mean to contradict myself, but their are such things as translators. English isn't the only languge in the world, you know. It's just well-known because a lot of people know it already.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a country where English is our second language. Filipinos are fluent in English because we were once colonizes by Americans. We had the choice to learn English and we chose on our own free will. Not every non-american should learn english. If they are already comfortable with their native tongue why stop them? As i said, there are translators or why don't you learn their native tongue as well. I don't know why some find this issue stereotypical.

(Sorry if anyone is offended. I'm jus voicing out my opinions. :wink: ).

Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the thing is as soon as someone is forced to do something it is essentially turning into slavery. No matter if it will benefit you or the person doing it, once you force someone to do something against their will that person instantly becomes a slave.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic, it's just inconvienient for everyone to learn every single language that's spoken in the US. Most people in the U.S. speak some form of English. Most schools are taught entirely in English. Most citizens speak english, and most of mainstream society interacts in English.

There's at least a 100 something different languages spoken within the U.S, and I'm thinking that's a low figure. Even if you just concertrate into what languages are spoken in one area, you're still likely going to get more than one. According to the U.S. census data, in my state, we speak English, Spanish, German, Polish, Chinese, Tagalog, Italian, Korean, French, Greek, Russian, Arabic, Urdu, Serbo-Croatian, etc - and this is in a midwestern state.

How could the school system teach all those languages? Even if they made them electives, there's no way they could afford to pay teachers to teach them all. And if they decided to teach school only in the dominant 2 languages (in this case English and Spanish), well, that's still extremely expensive. What about printing all the stuff the goverment hands out? Canada, which has 2 official languages, spends a lot of money printing things in English and French. And they are much smaller than the U.S., population-wise, so we'd wind up spending more - especially if we printed it in more than one language. Teaching in a minority culture's language also harms those who speak soley that language because they'll be isolated; most of the working world, in America, speaks English. If you want a job outside of a very small community in America, you need to know English.

And yes, there are translators, but why on earth would a company spend money to hire a translator for a person who speaks only Spanish/Urdu/Klingon/etc when they can hire someone who speaks English with nearly the exact same qualifications? It's much cheaper in the long run, and if a company can get away with not giving their employees something, they will.

As far as mandatory education, I don't think learning another language should be mandatory in the US. Why? Because if you live in the U.S., you're not likely to come across people who speak another language. The U.S. is a big place, and most people who live there don't need to know Spanish/French/German/Urdu/Galatic Basic/etc fluently to conduct business. Those who live closer to the borders - in particular, the border with Mexico - are probably more fluent as they likely do more business with those on the other side of it. (Canada, perhaps, to a lesser extent, I would think mostly near the Quebec border around Maine would you see more francophones. I think most of the rest of Canada speaks primarily English, but I'm not quite sure...Any Canadians want to shed some light on this?)

Anyway, my point is that I don't think people should be forced to learn something that will give them no benefit in life. It's like making Electricity IV necessary for every high school student; sure, the electricians will like it, but what does someone who wants to be English teacher or a plumber need to know it for? On the other hand, everyone should know some math - because everyone uses it, both in their personal life and, for most, their job.

The problem, however, with not teaching citizens English is that in the end, it harms those who cannot speak English at all, because so much of what goes on in the US goes on in English. If you cry "Help me, please!", you're much more likely to get a response than if you yell "Ayudame, por favor!" because more people understand "help me!" than "Ayudame!" If you call 911, you've got better chances of being helped because the clerk almost certainly knows English. If you try to find a job, you'll have much better chances if you speak English - especially if you want a job at a level above the minimum wage barracks.

And while I think that it shouldn't be mandatory for citizens emigrating to the states to learn English (because, as Black Fang mentioned, making someone do something against their will is pretty much slavery), I think every immigant should learn at last a little bit of English; critical phrases like your name, your phone number, your address, how to ask where the bathroom is, how to ask where common places/items are, and how to report emergancy situations. To not speak English in modern American society is a danger to yourself; and while there is nothing wrong with preserving a language at home, there is a problem when you're insisting that because a small minority of people speak one language, the majority of people should be forced to learn it. Shouldn't the minority culture choose to learn whatever it takes to become a member of the majority culture whenever possible? If it is all a benefit - and none of it is a negative - then why not do it?

However, I do think it would pretty stupid for people to learn English if they're only planning on, say, 2 week's vacation in Florida. For one thing, as a tourist you're not really interacting with mainstream society, for another you're not going to be there long enough to really benefit, and while it might improve your trip, so long as you have a little phrasebook, I think you'd be OK.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all, :lol: @ Klingon and Galactic Basic.

Leave it up to Sophita to come up with those haha.

I agree with you on just about every level....that is if we ASSUME that this topic is USA orientated, which is what I think most USA citizens are thinking. Those that live outside of the states (such as VikiFanatic and myself) talk about the subject from a GLOBAL point of view.

I'm surprised that English isn't the US national language. It is the most common and wide-spread language and just about every citizen there uses it. I find it kind of strange that your government doesn't just declare English the national language, but oh well. Anyways, as I was saying, I think that most arguments on this thread are coming from those within the states and those on the outside as it seems states is about the only nation without an official language. I guess we all pretty much agree about this topic the arguments arouse from the different perspectives of the situations though.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Frankly the way that I see it they shouldnt have to learn the language if they dont want to. However everyone else should not have to bend over backwards to accomodate them either. Basically sure you dont have to learn english, but if you want to be a citizen you have to apply in english. If you want to go to a store and buy something you have to speak english so they know what you want. If you need to get some medical attention for some reason or another you need to ask for it in english. You want to order something in a resteraunt yup you need to order it in english. There are too many people more than willing to go out of their way to help those that are unwilling to learn the language here in BC. I know people who have lived here for almost forty years who dont know how to speak a single word of english. My aunt and uncle have lived here since the early sixties and they just barely know enough to get by because they always had friends to help them. My family is not native english speakers and the first language that was taught to me was english because they knew I needed it. In Canada there is also the option to learn French as well which is fine if you are planning to live in Quebec but elsewhere english is still the way to go.

Uncle Jowy's Army

32500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is not only that people in America are forced to learn English. People all around the world have to learn it since it now is the language of the worl. I personly have no problem with it , since I love to learn languages. Currently I am trying to learn Japanese. (anyone knows a good site that can help with this)
gumby_30

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: it most certainly should Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Immigrants shouldn't HAVE to be forced to learn the language, because the constitution says in order to become a citizen, you must show that you can at least use the language, no matter how general your knowledge is. So yes, if people are going to come to this country, they should know how to speak the language. If they are let into this country without knowing English for some reason, they should be made to learn English in a certain time frame, or be deported. Back when the country was being settled, somehow they all got the crazy notion to agree on English as the primary means of communication, so why shouldn't it still apply today. As far as I can tell, the country has taken a big step back with the introduction of Enter/Entrada signs on the doors of Blockbuster.

Jord
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As far as mandatory education, I don't think learning another language should be mandatory in the US. Why? Because if you live in the U.S., you're not likely to come across people who speak another language.

That's true...it should be noted, however, that the main reason that the US need not teach other languages is that people all around the world are rushing to learn English to keep up. Learning foreign languages has become redundant.

I'm pretty sure that I posted in this before, and I'll reiterate: I don't think that we should enact any laws that FORCE immigrants to learn English, but social pressure is enough to make them learn it in time...the facts are that people can't just immediately afford and take language classes...it takes time. Just teach English to ALL children in schools, and the problem will solve itself.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
gumby_30

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree in a small way. I do not think the problem will correct itself as long as Mexico continues to print pamphlets encouraging its citizens to jump the border illegally.

Jord

P.S. Social pressure is NEVER enough for the over-proud
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Asking everyone in the United States to learn English is unreasonable and unfair. Believe it or not, there are small pockets in the US where the language of choice is not english, but spanish, french, japanese, etc. If I were a forgien alien coming to America, one of the first things I'd do is seek out places where I was understood. English is not a neccesary language to learn because people can survive and even do just as well without it. So far as I'm concerned, if you live in an area where another language is predominantly spoken, you shouldn't expect that people will learn your language, and if you meet someone who fits that bill you should be a good person and help them out. I've noticed a lot of the time that people's first reaction to someone who doesn't speak english is to automatically assume that they aren't very bright.

Furthermore, I have worked with a lot of people who spoke little or no english, and I'll be the first to tell you that communication really isn't that hard. Language is just one way of communicating, and even then when it comes to the more prominent languages like spanish, many of the words are similar.

Anyways, that's just my opinon.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gumby_30 wrote:
Immigrants shouldn't HAVE to be forced to learn the language, because the constitution says in order to become a citizen, you must show that you can at least use the language, no matter how general your knowledge is. So yes, if people are going to come to this country, they should know how to speak the language. If they are let into this country without knowing English for some reason, they should be made to learn English in a certain time frame, or be deported. Back when the country was being settled, somehow they all got the crazy notion to agree on English as the primary means of communication, so why shouldn't it still apply today. As far as I can tell, the country has taken a big step back with the introduction of Enter/Entrada signs on the doors of Blockbuster.

This is one of the worse arguments I've seen here as it has no logical reason but only some VERY harsh statements. First off this topic isn't about people going to the states and I find it very arrogant that it has turned into that. I understand that most users here are from the states and that English is the main language spoken there and world wide for that matter, but you should look at this topic from a world perspective rather then just from your own view point. I agree that a person should have a level of the national language for CITIZENSHIP for the country they are applying for, but nothing less than that.

As I said before it is good to have an understanding of the certain language for the person studying but force is a method used for primitives by primitives. You'd be very quick to deport a person for a reason such as this so let me be the first here that says I am very glad you aren't a politician or a public figure with that kind of power as you obviously haven't seen the other side and have a very blurry vision of what the world should be like. Kindness begets kindness, always remember that.

You yourself say the country (US) has taken a crazy notion to agree on English as your national language. You ask why it shouldn't still apply and I can counter with why SHOULD it still apply? I agree with you that the statement that the states should keep English as its national language because the country has been based on it for so long and it would be too problematic to change now, but you should state something like this yourself. The problem I see with your post is that you are quick to judge others where as I can tell how little you've seen in this world. Most immigrants aren't immigrants by choice but because they were FORCED to leave their home, so any nuisance they might be to you is a hundred times worse for them. They left all they had and knew in the older country, including family and friends. They come to a completely strange new place where they know nothing and no one. I think their priorities would lie with getting themselves sorted before they had to learn English in a certain timeframe, especially for those that come into a new country with no money, no food and no place to stay. I doubt those people would have the money to take any English classes. Learning the language seems very insignificant when you look at things in a different light.

gumby_30 wrote:
I disagree in a small way. I do not think the problem will correct itself as long as Mexico continues to print pamphlets encouraging its citizens to jump the border illegally.

I do not know what happens between Mexico and the USA but it seems that this fact (which is very unfair from the side of Mexico and stricter laws should apply for ILLEGAL immigrants) has turned you into a VERY biased person towards just about every other immigrant in the world. Keep in mind that people are not the same and everyone deserves a chance. Even if 99 Mexicans jump the border illegally that 100th guy could be a fair man wanting to make a fair living and could possibly be your best friend if you got to know him better.

I'm not trying to sound like a complete ass or just attack anyone but I've been there before as English is NOT my first language. I've lived in an English speaking country for half my life now and I speak and write better than the majority of people that were born here. I'm thankful I was educated and that I had the privilege of learning the language but at the same time I would have hated it if I was forced to do it. Ever since I established a standing here I've been quick to help out people who have problems because I know that one day I might be down in the dirt and the more people I help now, the more people I'll have out there that'll be willing to help me out in the future. You can never have too many friends and acquaintances out there, no matter what country they were born in, what colour their skin is, what gender are, what their sexual preference is, because I've yet to meet a person that judges people that way that wasn't miserable.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Following up on what Lady Nikky said, I really don't think there's anything wrong with making citizenship conditional on official language proficiency (whether that be English as in Australia, Japanese in Japan, or English, Mandarin Chinese, Malay or Tamil like in Singapore) but at the same time I think that people should be able to use as much of any other language as they see fit in any situation they see fit, amongst two French speakers French should be perfectly acceptable in any nation, you can't control these things.

In the case of legitimate refugees, holders of temporary visas, tourists and other such things the national language should only be a convenience for them not compulsory. Some visa classes such as work visas and student visas should USUALLY be conditional on language proficiency but if you can get sponsored on a work visa without speaking the national language then your temporary residence should be allowed. Like citizens, permenant residents should learn the national language and people that don't know the national language should have courses offered by the government if they wish to learn it and if they have long-term interests in the country.

gumby_30 wrote:
As far as I can tell, the country has taken a big step back with the introduction of Enter/Entrada signs on the doors of Blockbuster.

I disagree with that entirely. Blockbuster is a non-governmental corporation, they can put whatever language they want on the doors, their staff can speak whatever language they want. I even think that a private business should have the right to use any language, even at the exclusion of the official language. Business needs some regulation by the government but if a Japanese restaurant in Australia wants to open up and only offer Japanese menus then they have every right to- it might reduce their customer base substantially but if you start regulating things like language in companies then when are you going to start regulating what language people can speak in their own homes?

Government owned enterprise is a different matter, they should provide material in the national language in ALL cases, but in addition if they feel the need to provide translations for non-citizens, or citizens who understand English but who would feel more comfortable with material in their first language then that is perfectly acceptable for them to provide such translations. Language, like religion should be something that everyone has the right to, but unlike religion for convenience's sake the government should establish an official language that is understood by all its citizens.

gumby_30 wrote:
I do not think the problem will correct itself as long as Mexico continues to print pamphlets encouraging its citizens to jump the border illegally.

This topic has nothing to do with illegal immigrants who are breaking the law. In a lot of cases I disagree with immigration laws and think they are too tough but they still are the law. Regardless of whether or not immigrants are illegal or legitimate, though, language should only be compulsory for citizenship and with America's hispanic population I think there would be nothing wrong with extending official language status to Spanish. Because as Zonder says there are pockets of America where people CAN get along with only Spanish, if the demand is high enough and both languages were made official then people can learn either of the languages for citizenship and schools can offer either English or Spanish as the core language.

Incidentally I also belief people should have a basic understanding of currency and measurement systems before being granted citizenship, too. All for the purpose of easing communication.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gumby_30

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lemme break it down real quick.

Blockbuster thing - was just a joke, sorry.

Everything else; yeah, perhaps I was a little harsh, especially considering that I think I might be falling in love with a Bosnian. I apologize if I caused offense.

Jord
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

High Priestess I dont think it has anything at all to do with what they speak in the privacy of their own home or when they are speaking to their friends. I believe the issue comes in when they are speaking to other people in an official kind of thing or as a service. For example I was at a store once when this I believe she was chinese though im not sure customer came in and half of what she was telling one of the employees who happened to be from Japan was in Chinese. This customer was practically balistic when she figured out that the employee had no idea what she was saying and stormed out. It would also not be the first time where I have seen customers friends complain about an employee who wouldnt go out of their to find someone to translate for their friend. Which made no sense considering that these people complaining spoke their friends language and could have translated themselves. This is what bothers me about people not bothering to try to learn the language before they come here or while they are here for that matter. There are those who not only arent willing to learn enough to get around but feel everyone else in obliged to figure out what they are saying rather than them figuring out how to say what they want.

I have no problem with people coming in even if they dont speak the language but they should not be entitled to having others go out of their way to try and figure out what they are saying. If immigrants who dont speak english when they arrive or after they arrive try to communicate with those who dont speak their native language, either they should learn to communicate in english with said person or not communicate with them at all. Oh and by the way Lady Bishop Black Fang those forced out of their homes and their homelands are not called immigrants they are called Refugees and that is an entirely different subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: