Suikoden United and Illegal Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Disgrace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Disgrace Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone pay any attention to the NBA? What a disgrace last night in the Indiana Pacers vs Detroit Pistons game. (Read the story)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1927380

Now this really hurts considering the Pacers are my favorite team. However, everyone was wrong for their parts in the brawl. Artest had no right to attack the fan, which resulted in most of the team going up there to help him. Players get paid so much money it isn't worth their time. He could have easily contacted security and the event would not have happened. Nonetheless, Artest being the hothead he is, charged the fan which resulted in one of the worst brawls in NBA history.

Although I am a Pacers fan, Artest, Jackson, Wallace deserve to be suspended for a very long time. However, this does not mean the Detroit Fans are not to be blamed. The man who threw the beer at Artest would have never done so if he was face to face with him. Wallace is also to blamed for starting the incident when he shoved Artest for a foul that for some reason angered him. After Artest jumped into the stands, he began punching the wrong guy(Same ol Artest). I had the horror of watching this game unfold on TV. After the Pacers were able to get out of the stands, many Detroit fans started throwing beer bottles and anything they could at the players. One even threw a chair as the players tried to leave the stadium. Another fan even came on to the court, only to get the crap beat out of him by Artest and O'Neal. Where was security!?

Everyone is to blame here. Hopefully Artest Jackson, and Wallace are suspended for a very long time (Artest will get that break he's been wanting, ha!) and the fans that started everything are prosecuted for criminal acts. Sheesh, the Pacers will only have six available players for their next game! Three have been suspended and three others are already injured!

What are everyones thoughts on the brawl? I can not find a good video that shows everything that happens, but I will try to find one.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what little i saw of it disgusted me; they acted worse than pre-schoolers on a tantrum rage. i get tired of so called 'hard core' fans misbehaving when things they don't like happen; same with athletes-overpaid diva-boys with serious issues.

crap like this is part of the reason i don't watch sports; the whole sideline drama is ridiculous and the players are...the other reason being i don't find most sports interesting enough to spend 2 or so hours of time on *unless they're beating on each other, then i might*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I thought the entire thing was quite ammusing. I don't watch basketball and only tuned in for the brawl that they showed over and over again. I don't thats just my kind of entertainment.

Think about it though Artest was already pissed from being fouled and he walked away from that controversy. So he tried to do the "right thing". However then some dumb ass fan throughs a beer cup or whatever that hits him square in the face while he is just chilling on the side line and trying to calm down. Now I don't know about you but if someone hits me in the face with a beer cup after I just walked away from a fight then I would through down imediatly (Just like Artest did)

Now the whole thing got out of hand (much to my liking) and both teams ended up brawling against the crowd. What I found really amusing however is that the players were getting the upper hand while they were so vastly outnumbered. I would have to say my favorite part was when Artest got back on the floor then clocked that fan who ran up to him. Then this other player came running out of nowhere and hit the sucker so hard he flew from his feet and landed on his back.

Out of the whole thing the only thing that really disturbed me was the old lady that got knocked over lying on the floor in the middle of everything. That was just messed up. As for security there just wasn't enough of it to control a brawl of this magnitude.

Now I have a question. Am I sick and twisted to derive ammusment from such a thing? I mean they do have fighting as a sport so this isn't really all that different is it? Just a more natural type of fighting thats all.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the sideline drama isn't always happening. In fact, it's quite uncommon at all. But then again, we must not forget that despite being paid a lot of money, the players are humans as well. When they were thrown by whatever from the crowd while they didn't do anything, a reaction would occur. Unfortunately, they chose to fight back (I'd probably do the same to be honest). But even if they chose not to retaliate, would the violence stop there? I doubt so. As mentioned before, some even threw chairs to the court. If the players didn't retaliate and got hit by chairs that would resulted in long-term injury, what would the NBA do? Nothing, they obviously won't sue the fan who threw the chair. So IMO, it's self defense and very human of them to do that. When you feel that your safety is threatened, then you fight back. It's human nature. They didn't know what the next object would be thrown at them, what if it's a knife?

To be honest, I blame the security more than the players. Security should've been the one taking control and must be quick enough to minimize possible damage. In the end, we even saw that Rasheed Wallace (one of the known NBA badboys himself) was the one who tried to hold the players off the fans. Security didn't do anything as if they are non-existant (were they even there?). If such thing could occur, then how can the players feel safe when they are performing the task that they are paid for?

David Stern has issued a statement that Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'Neal, and Ben Wallace have all been suspended indefinitely until the investigation concluded. It's a fair punishment I guess (and I'm a Pacers fan as well), but Detroit Pistons (that I also like) as a team should be punished more heavily for allowing such thing to happen in their homecourt.

But then again, sports are sometimes like that. The bad fans who are minority are the ones making the headlines for the wrong reasons, and the players/teams/good fans are the ones who also have to pay for them.

A case that just happened was the friendly soccer match between England and Spain a few days ago. Whenever the black England players touched the ball, the Spanish fans made a monkey sound (very loud noise that could be heard easily on TV). That's a disgrace because at this time, we should be way over the racial issue. And what's even bigger disgrace is how the Spanish manager refused to condemn the fans who made such noise, and the Spanish newspapers (all but ONE newspaper) barely mentioning the event. Some newspapers even said that they blamed the England squad which totally doesn't make sense (why would you want to be racially abused anyway?).

It's really a weird world we live in nowadays.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there goes Jemaine O'Neal on my fantasy team.

Seriously, so the Pistons had a bad game, and Artest is a hated player, thats no reason to throw your beverage at him. Yes, Artest shoulda alerted security. No, he should not have jumped into the crowd and attacked the fans. And No, the fans also should not have been on the court to attack O'Neal.

Maybe now the NBA may adopt a smiliar rule as that of MLB. Not sure, but somewhere in the 7th inning the stadiums are not allowed to sell beer from that point on. I'm not saying that was the problem last night. But I've been to my fair share of concerts and sporting events where loads of alochol have been consumed. And I've seen my fair share of fights, arguments and other things because the people were intoxicated.

Dang, I really miss watching the NHL. I love hockey, but thats a whole nother terrible story........

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I don't really think that intoxication played to heavy a role in the event. (Not saying that it didn't have its part though) I mean Artest wasn't intoxicated so the fight didn't stem from alcohal, but rather a lot of pissed off people, players included.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
However then some dumb ass fan throughs a beer cup or whatever that hits him square in the face while he is just chilling on the side line and trying to calm down. Now I don't know about you but if someone hits me in the face with a beer cup after I just walked away from a fight then I would through down imediatly (Just like Artest did)

The problem with this is, you just can not do it in the NBA. Players do not have the right to to go up into the stands and because Artest did this, he will be in much trouble. No matter what a fan does or says, you can not charge him (Unless of course, the fan comes onto the court). He has been in trouble many times before and that will not help his case any.

Quote:
But then again, we must not forget that despite being paid a lot of money, the players are humans as well. When they were thrown by whatever from the crowd while they didn't do anything, a reaction would occur. Unfortunately, they chose to fight back (I'd probably do the same to be honest). But even if they chose not to retaliate, would the violence stop there? I doubt so. As mentioned before, some even threw chairs to the court. If the players didn't retaliate and got hit by chairs that would resulted in long-term injury, what would the NBA do? Nothing, they obviously won't sue the fan who threw the chair.

That is a good point, but it doesn't matter. If Artest does not charge the fan, the brawl does not occur. Wallace started it, the fan reacted to it, Artest escalated it. Artest simply can not go after the fan, I have to stress this point. Stern is going to come down very hard on Artest and hopefully Wallace too. I also do not think you can feel too threatened by a plastic cup that hits you in the face. Mad yes, but threatened no. Artest still needs to learn to control his emotions. He did a very good job last year, and was doing a good job even when Wallace shoved him. I just wish he didn't go berserk, because not only did it make him look bad, it hurt the organization. However, it is unfair to blame everything on Artest but that is what the media will probably do.

Quote:
So IMO, it's self defense and very human of them to do that. When you feel that your safety is threatened, then you fight back. It's human nature. They didn't know what the next object would be thrown at them, what if it's a knife?

The thing is, it was not a a knife. If a player taunted and threw something at fans, would it be ok for the fans to charge the player? Nope, hopefully their would be some kind of security to stop them. And if a knife was taken out, the player would most likely run for his life. Now, in no way am I defending the actions of the Detroit fans. Many of them acted like jerks and were a very bad reprensentation of the city. It very was sad that their were so many that acted in such a bad manner.

Quote:
A case that just happened was the friendly soccer match between England and Spain a few days ago. Whenever the black England players touched the ball, the Spanish fans made a monkey sound (very loud noise that could be heard easily on TV). That's a disgrace because at this time, we should be way over the racial issue. And what's even bigger disgrace is how the Spanish manager refused to condemn the fans who made such noise, and the Spanish newspapers (all but ONE newspaper) barely mentioning the event. Some newspapers even said that they blamed the England squad which totally doesn't make sense (why would you want to be racially abused anyway?).

Sad part about this is, their will always be hecklers. No matter where you go, you will find'em. These people have no justification for what they do and they only do it to rile up the opposing team. I find it amazing people have the ablility to heckle when they wish they could have the same talents and money as their team's opponents. Hecklers will do anything to rile athletes up, including being racist etc. Most of time it happens in every game, you just will never hear about it.

Quote:
Seriously, so the Pistons had a bad game, and Artest is a hated player, thats no reason to throw your beverage at him. Yes, Artest shoulda alerted security. No, he should not have jumped into the crowd and attacked the fans. And No, the fans also should not have been on the court to attack O'Neal.

You nailed it right on the head!

Artest definitely does not have his priorities straight. I mean, he almost pulled a Ricky Williams. As a player, he is a great defender and one of the best players in a league that has been dwindling for many, many years(Man I miss the Reggie Miller days, Miller vs Jordan was always one of my favorites). Maybe, just maybe he will get his priorities straight one day.

And just for a score update Bugg, the Magic only beat the Pacers by 3. Not bad for a team which only used six players and most of them being bench warmers. I'll tell you one thing, the Indiana Pacers will have one of the most experienced benches after these suspensions are over :D
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

drama in general, from their lives off court/field and anywhere else; they're as bad as other celebrities, creating scenes like this. yes, that fan that started the problem was wrong; hell, they're all wrong, whether they instigated it or jumped in after the fact.

*i feel for the judge that has to sort this mess out; if it were up to me, i'd dismiss all charges, call it a wash and tell everyone to go home and suck up whatever their damages were-they were involved in a foolish brawl, they got what they deserved*

this is no better than the parents who push their children into sports, then get into brawls with other parents for some asinine argument. people take these things too seriously; they're only entertainment, not life, after all.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If Artest does not charge the fan, the brawl does not occur.

So what do you suggest he should've done? Sitting there waiting for what's next to be thrown at him without having the chance to defend himself? Give him a break. He fouled Wallace, was shoved and stayed quiet. And suddenly being thrown by something out of nowhere while he was trying to calm himself? Of course he'd feel the need to defend himself. And do you seriously think that the crowd wouldn't throw anything at all after than 1 throw had Artest didn't retaliate? I doubt so.

Quote:
Wallace started it, the fan reacted to it, Artest escalated it. Artest simply can not go after the fan, I have to stress this point.

So how come you said that had Artest didn't charge the fan the brawl wouldn't occur when you just said that Wallace started it?

I'm not saying what he did was right. It was embarrassing, but perfectly normal and understandable under that circumstances. Had the fans threw food and drink to the court for bad call or whatnot, I'm sure that Artest wouldn't charge the fan. But in that particular situation (the whole Pistons-Pacers rivalry, Wallace shoving Artest, and so on), the fan throwing drinks at him was definitely the last straw. Everone has limit. For you (or the NBA) to expect players to never react was ridiculous because players are not emotionless robots that you could control.

Quote:
The thing is, it was not a a knife.

Well like I said before, we didn't know what's next to be thrown at if we were in the players' position. First it was drinks, then food, who would've expect chairs to be involved as well? Probably none. But they did throw chairs at the players. So how would we know what's next? When you don't know what they could've thrown at you, it's just human nature to try to protect yourself. Since being in the middle of the court would be a very vulnarable position, it makes sense to just try to charge at the fans to stop them.

Larry Brown, Rasheed Wallace and even Rick Mahorn plead to the crowd to stop. Did they stop? Heck no. So what can you do? Fight back was the only alternative left if you wanted to protect yourself. It comes to the point that there was nothing you could do anymore to stop them.

Quote:
If a player taunted and threw something at fans, would it be ok for the fans to charge the player? Nope

Well for one, the player would most definitely be thrown out of the game, and the fan would probably sue that player to the court to get some money. So it's going to end there. And fans aren't the one on the court, so it's a whole different situation between the players and the fans. Fans didn't feel the pressure of trying to win the game. Fans watched the game and wish their team to win. Players were the ones playing the game and trying to win. The pressure is different.

Quote:
hopefully their would be some kind of security to stop them.

The same security that couldn't stop Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal?

Quote:
And if a knife was taken out, the player would most likely run for his life.

Are you saying that you could spot someone taking out a knife among the 10,000-20,000 fans? Unless you really have a good eye sight, I doubt you'd notice. And even if you noticed, what could you? By your logic, you're not allowed to attack the fan. The security was hopeless. You could run, but that most definitely would not stop the knife piercing your body if the fan decided to throw it at you.

Quote:
And just for a score update Bugg, the Magic only beat the Pacers by 3.

To be honest, I consider Orlando Magic as a 2nd rate team that would probably get to the playoffs but lose in first or second round. They are not as good as the line up looks. But yeah, I hope it's a good experience for Pacers to have. Pacers have been one of the teams that have a very deep roster. So it's time to use them. =D

Again, I'm not saying that what the players did was right. I'm just saying that it was perfectly normal for them to react that way given the situation at that moment. For anyone to expect them not reacting was a bit impossible IMO.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ayemelek

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, first of all, I've watched the video a thousand times since yesterday and I've yet to see Artest actually get a hit in on anyone. He grabbed the guy in the stands, and he swung at the guy on the court, though that only seemed to graze him, if it made contact at all (of course, just as Artest has no reason to go into the stands, the fans have no reason to be on the court; they go down there, they deserve what they get--even if it is Master O'Neal's Sliding Fist). The punches I saw clearly were: Jackson nailing the second guy who threw beer in Artest's face, the huge guy punching Fred Jones in the back of the head, Artest swinging at the fan on the court, and O'Neal rocking said fan's friend.

People seem to forget that Artest is only 25 years old. Yes, he's a professional basketball player, but he's also a young man. Being in the NBA does not automatically make one exempt from human emotion or remove the chance that those emotions will, on occasion, overrule the rational side of a person. He reacted in a manner that many, many people would have. That doesn't make it right, but it should at least make it understandable.

No, he should not have gone into the stands, but he's hardly the only one at fault here. He should be suspended, but I fear the NBA will want to make a very harsh example out of him because of his history. Sure, the brawl is a no-show if Artest doesn't react, but it's equally a no-show if the fan doesn't decide to launch his beer at an NBA player on the basketball court. Without the fan's reaction, we would have had a flagrant foul, a Wallace ejection, and a fine or two. As it is, a chain of events was set off with emotions running high.

There was a similar incident with Vernon Maxwell a few years back, where he charged the stands and cold-cocked a man who had been heckling him about his deceased daughter. He received a 10-game suspension, but I guarantee he felt it was worth it. Whether or not you've paid to be there, there are some lines that should not be crossed.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
So what do you suggest he should've done? Sitting there waiting for what's next to be thrown at him without having the chance to defend himself?

Yes

Quote:
And do you seriously think that the crowd wouldn't throw anything at all after than 1 throw had Artest didn't retaliate? I doubt so.

Well, there was only a couple of fans acting up until Artest charged the fan. Artest's retaliation was what sent most of the stadium into a frenzy.

Quote:
So how come you said that had Artest didn't charge the fan the brawl wouldn't occur when you just said that Wallace started it?

Wallace started the incident which caused the fan the throw the cup. Wallace did not cause Artest to go up to the fan and try the beat the hell out of him, thus, causing the brawl. Understand?

Quote:
Everone has limit. For you (or the NBA) to expect players to never react was ridiculous because players are not emotionless robots that you could control.

I think the NBA has already allowed many things so that they will not be "emotionless robots". Compare the game now to 15-20 years ago. Players these days are as stupid as they come. Do you think Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, or Magic Johnson etc. would have charged the fan?

Quote:
Well like I said before, we didn't know what's next to be thrown at if we were in the players' position. First it was drinks, then food, who would've expect chairs to be involved as well? Probably none. But they did throw chairs at the players. So how would we know what's next? When you don't know what they could've thrown at you, it's just human nature to try to protect yourself. Since being in the middle of the court would be a very vulnarable position, it makes sense to just try to charge at the fans to stop them

Just so the rest of the fans can get riled up and gang up on them?

Quote:
Well for one, the player would most definitely be thrown out of the game, and the fan would probably sue that player to the court to get some money. So it's going to end there. And fans aren't the one on the court, so it's a whole different situation between the players and the fans. Fans didn't feel the pressure of trying to win the game. Fans watched the game and wish their team to win. Players were the ones playing the game and trying to win. The pressure is different.

Well, who do you think is going to be sued now? The players

Quote:
Are you saying that you could spot someone taking out a knife among the 10,000-20,000 fans? Unless you really have a good eye sight, I doubt you'd notice. And even if you noticed, what could you? By your logic, you're not allowed to attack the fan. The security was hopeless. You could run, but that most definitely would not stop the knife piercing your body if the fan decided to throw it at you.

Are you saying that if Artest doesn't go into the crowd, people still come onto the court? If Artest charges someone and that person happens to have knife, he brought the trouble on himself. Now if a fan charges someone on the court, I say yes, it would be very easy to spot him. Once the fan comes onto the court, he is full game. If the knife came from the crowd, he would also be full game. Except for the fact that, Artest did not charge in self-defense, he charged because he was mad. It was also just a freaking plastic cup that hit him in the eye. Not a bottle, not a knife, or any other dangerous material, a plastic cup. One cup for that matter. It did not help matters when he charged the wrong person.

Quote:
To be honest, I consider Orlando Magic as a 2nd rate team that would probably get to the playoffs but lose in first or second round. They are not as good as the line up looks. But yeah, I hope it's a good experience for Pacers to have. Pacers have been one of the teams that have a very deep roster. So it's time to use them. =D

Well most of the East is made up of Second Rate teams :) And Orlando is not that good, and I really do not consider their "star player" Steve Francis that good either. However, when you only have six players, the best two being Austin Croshere and Fred Jones, it is impressive to stay in any game. :shock: Actually, Austin Croshere has been consistent through out his career, I remember when he was supposed to be the next big thing after Miller.

Quote:
Well, first of all, I've watched the video a thousand times since yesterday and I've yet to see Artest actually get a hit in on anyone. He grabbed the guy in the stands, and he swung at the guy on the court, though that only seemed to graze him, if it made contact at all (of course, just as Artest has no reason to go into the stands, the fans have no reason to be on the court; they go down there, they deserve what they get--even if it is Master O'Neal's Sliding Fist). The punches I saw clearly were: Jackson nailing the second guy who threw beer in Artest's face, the huge guy punching Fred Jones in the back of the head, Artest swinging at the fan on the court, and O'Neal rocking said fan's friend.

Well, the players have no reason to be in the stands. So that gave the Detroit fans a "logical" reason to go onto the court. I do not understand people these days. Master O'Neal hahaha :lol:

Quote:
No, he should not have gone into the stands, but he's hardly the only one at fault here. He should be suspended, but I fear the NBA will want to make a very harsh example out of him because of his history. Sure, the brawl is a no-show if Artest doesn't react, but it's equally a no-show if the fan doesn't decide to launch his beer at an NBA player on the basketball court. Without the fan's reaction, we would have had a flagrant foul, a Wallace ejection, and a fine or two. As it is, a chain of events was set off with emotions running high.

Everyone was at fault here. It may seem like I am defending the Detroit fans. However, I am just trying to prove what Artest did was also wrong. The way the Detroit fans was just as bad if not worse as what some of the Pacers did. And by the way, Artest was not going to be called for a flagrant, nor should he have. Wallace just overeacted and acted like the punk he is.
Ayemelek

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as the Magic are concerned, well, I look at less like, "How good are the Magic in comparison to the rest of the league?" and more like, "How good are the Magic in comparison to the team lat year?" And, well, in that scenario they've excelled. Sure, they won't be winning a title this year, but they've definitely been replaced by others at the bottom of the barrel. They've gone from the worst in the league to a possible playoff team. Besides, it's nice to finally see Hill healthy again. I've never been a big fan, but there's no denying what he went through and what he brings to the team.

Quote:
I think the NBA has already allowed many things so that they will not be "emotionless robots". Compare the game now to 15-20 years ago. Players these days are as stupid as they come. Do you think Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, or Magic Johnson etc. would have charged the fan?

- Players of that era had their interactions with fans. Mad Max, Charles Barkley. Hell, Ty Cobb beat up a cripple in like 1910. Emotions getting the better of people is hardly anything new, and it's not exactly a valid reason to label everyone in the NBA today as "stupid." The league needs to work harder on getting control of its players instead of giving them free will just so they'll stay happy and continue to sell merchandise, however. They need to be show that while they may be superstars and they may love basketball as a game, they are still employed by these teams and as such certain things are expected of them.

Quote:
Well, who do you think is going to be sued now? The players

- Sure, because they have the money and do not need it. There's definitely a case to be made for some of the players to sue or take legal action against the fans involved, if they felt the need to go that route.

Quote:
Are you saying that if Artest doesn't go into the crowd, people still come onto the court?

- It's entirely possible. No one can say either way, but there have been countless incidents in the past with fans going onto the court, field, or otherwise without apparent provocation.

Quote:
Well, the players have no reason to be in the stands. So that gave the Detroit fans a "logical" reason to go onto the court. I do not understand people these days.

- It was a brawl, and thus there was very little in the way of logic involved.

Quote:
It was also just a freaking plastic cup that hit him in the eye. Not a bottle, not a knife, or any other dangerous material, a plastic cup.

- A plastic cup, weighted with beer, hitting you directly in the eye most definitely could cause some damage. I'm not saying the guy tossed a bowling ball on his skull, but really, anything hitting you directly in the eye is not generally healthy.

Quote:
And by the way, Artest was not going to be called for a flagrant, nor should he have. Wallace just overeacted and acted like the punk he is.

- It could have gone either way. Personally, I didn't see it as a flagrant, but I wouldn't have been surprised. He went across the head and there was no chance of the Pistons coming back to win that game, so the refs could have viewed it as unneccesarily physical. That, and Artest doesn't always get the fairest of calls because of his history.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Players of that era had their interactions with fans. Mad Max, Charles Barkley. Hell, Ty Cobb beat up a cripple in like 1910. Emotions getting the better of people is hardly anything new, and it's not exactly a valid reason to label everyone in the NBA today as "stupid."

Hmm I said that wrong, what I meant to say is that many people in today's NBA are thugs. Incidents today are much more frequent and control over players is at an all time low. Now there are some exceptions such as Omeka Okafor etc. However, the list of morons in the NBA is great. Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Carmello Anthony, Damon Stoudamire, Rasheed Wallace, Chris Webber, Lebron James, and so on. Ty Cobb by the way, was psycotic. Nobody really ever questioned his mentality but many suspected he was insane. Ty Cobb was one of the greatest in MLB history which is the only reason why he was not banned. However, I think Cobb lived in a time period that did not have the right resources to help him overcome his problems.

Quote:
- It's entirely possible. No one can say either way, but there have been countless incidents in the past with fans going onto the court, field, or otherwise without apparent provocation.

It is very unlikely an event would have happened if Artest did not charge the fan. It could have, but many less fans would have been involved.

Quote:
- A plastic cup, weighted with beer, hitting you directly in the eye most definitely could cause some damage. I'm not saying the guy tossed a bowling ball on his skull, but really, anything hitting you directly in the eye is not generally healthy.

Please, gravity hurts but it does not hurt that much. Again, he gets hit in the eye by a cup and is "hurt" by it. He charges the fan and takes the chance of getting hurt even worse. That is very logical.
Ayemelek

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Please, gravity hurts but it does not hurt that much. Again, he gets hit in the eye by a cup and is "hurt" by it. He charges the fan and takes the chance of getting hurt even worse. That is very logical.

- I'm pretty sure any doctor or optometrist you speak to will tell getting hit directly in the eye by, say, the bottom edge of a plastic cup full of liquid could easily cause some damage.

And again, logic has a habit of falling by the wayside when emotions run high. Of course it wasn't logical. Almost nothing that occurred in the incident was logical.

Last edited by Ayemelek on Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We all have our own opinions. I have seen worse hits to the eye in events like this, and people have walked away from it without letting their emotions get to them. You can not let emotions get a hold of you in a sport like Artest did, no matter the circumstances or age of the player.
Heh, I guess we will never see eye to eye with each other.
:)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: