Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sci-Fi Shows
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Sci-Fi Shows Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey everyone I would just like to know who is into sci-fi shows around here? I have always been into these sort of shows because they are usually quite interesting, though don't get me wrong, I am not the biggest fan in regards to someone who has seen all types of Sci-Fi shows, but from the ones I have seen, I like them all the same. Now for the fans out there, don't get me wrong on this next subject. I have never really watched or gotton into anything Star Trek related, it just never tickled my fancy and I don't want to hear any "How can you call yourself a Sci-Fi fan???" Because everyone has their owns 'tastes'. Though I did once see the Star Trek: Nemesis movie a year ago because the special effects looked decent because it was made quite nicely. Now since I have seen none of the previous Star Trek related shows I would have no idea into the backgrounds of the movie, but I thought it was watchable to be a stand alone movie...

Now, to delve into what Sci-Fi shows I have seen and liked. This one up first was a big favourite of mine for quite sometime because of how good I thought it was.

Sliders: One of the first few Sci-Fi shows I watched and liked. I know it was not that long running (only 5 season) compared to other more popular high rating series, I would have to say I enjoyed every episode of each season, and it intriqued me on many levels. The best part is how they travel to so many alternate Earths, and how so many things have changed in each San Fransisco (and everywhere else) they visit. One such episode made me laugh, in the first season, where the US were at war with Australia (I live there) and it was a Viet Nam style war, and they were fighting the 'Outback Cong' sounded pretty funny to me, and I never really noticed it the first time I watched that particular episode as it was just what was going on as the Sliders were going about their buisness.

Even though this show is old now, it had good special effects for its time and I thought it had the best cast of people I had ever watched on a Sci-Fi show (at least for the first few seasons) and I never got bored with any of the episodes. And another good part is how when each world is different, there are always perfectly logical explanations of how things changed and how significant events changed the coarse of history to alter the certain alternate Earth. I wish deeply that this show would be renewed sometime soon, with the original cast and started it up again. Since this shows first two season are now available on DVD (and selling quite well I should think) i wish it would come back with a brand new season...But people have wished for this for years, and I doubt even if DVD sales were overly significant it will never see a season 6...

Stargate: My new favourite Sci-Fi show (only because Sliders is long finished and there is no chance of renewal) and while much different to Sliders, it is just as intriquing and the special effects stun me at times. I only recently accquired a copy of the 'Ultimate' edition original Stargate movie, and this got me further hooked into the Stargate series (even though the actors are different (of coarse they would not have Kurt Russel on for Eight season of this show!) but I think Richard Dean Anderson does a great role of Jack O'neil and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson.

I really like how in Stargate they travel to many luch and exotic locations and worlds on each episode, especially the ones with nice mountain backdrops and vibrant forests...I proudly have the first Seven Series of this great show, and am taping season Eight off of Television each week. It is so good being able to watch this great show whenever I please (though I have 7 season, I have only watched three and a half, and I am taking my time watching them as to make them last...yes I am crazy like that).

I am sad that this show is coming to a close though...but I know all good things must come to an end sometime, and it has been running for a long time, but I never take a show ending lightly or with happiness. There were the odd episode here and there everynow and then that bored me on some parts, though nothing to make me skip that section of it, so I have few complaints against this show. The progression of events and the enemies in Stargate are very interesting and make me eagerly want to watch the next episode everytime I finish one.

Andromeda: I like this Sci-Fi show quite a lot also, and I think Kevin Sorbo plays a good role as captain Hunt, having moved on long ago from his show Hercules (I like a good mythology show as well) and once again good special effects here and there haved woo'd me into watching this show all the time. I like the racial diversity in this show, and also the nice planets and their features. Restoring the Commonwealth against it fall and enemies seems like a lost cause on many occassions, though its crew fight hard and have good morale views on things and events.

Though I have been annoyed frequently that my favourite character (Tyr of coarse) has basically left the Andromeda show for good, as he was heaps cool and was a good fighter. This show is beggining its Fifth Season, and I own the first Four seasons on DVD, and have just finsihed watching season Three. Unfortunately I have gotten bored on some episodes as a whole, but I still watch on in loyalty to the show. The first season was easily my favourite, and sometimes wents down from their, though it is still a good Sci-Fi show I enjoy.

Well there are a few good Sci-Fi shows that I watch and like. And I thank the producers that I am able to buy all these cool SF shows on DVD...especially the recent release of Sliders.
Death

The Death Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i watched almost every episodes of Sliders, but i did not manage to watch the final seasons as they were no longer showned by the damn television network in my country.

the (maybe) last episode that i remember watching was when the hero fell in love with 'him'self in the other dimension. i still don't know how he can be a female in that dimension :D .

for now, there is no sci-fi shows that interest me.

just for addition, my favourite sci-fi film is The Matrix! many people think that people like The Matrix just for its graphics or combat scenes, actually it has one of the most-coolest sci-fi ideas, although i agree i've seen it somewhere else.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah the Matrix trilogy was pretty mad, I liked it also because it was a new idea and each movie was long enough not to be boring but overall great. And of coarse another great Sci-Fi trilogy was easily Star Wars Epiosde 4,5,6. I recently recieved this trilogy on DVD so that rekindled my likeness for it, and even though it is very old, it still conquers some of the more recent Sci-Fi shows and movies in some aspects. I have watched Star Wars Epidose 1 as well, however I have not found the time to go and buy Episode 2 to watch, but I will grab a copy some day so I can watch Episode 3 when that comes out.
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watch sci-fi shows and I have yet to figure out what it is about these shows that keep me coming back for more. They all are usally pretty cheesy and predictable but I still tune to shows like Andromeda and Stargate every week. I only recently started watching Andromeda again I stopped watching after the black dude who's name escapes me left the show I didnt like the way they got rid of his character it was craptacular to the max :evil: they could have let him die as part of the crew. But despite that crap a year later I'm watching the show again for the same reason I watch other sci-fi shows when I figure out what that is I'll let you guys know. :mrgreen:

*use punctuation so your entries don't resemble a rambling block of text*
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty big into sci-fi, have been ever since my dad got me into the original Star Trek way back in the 80s. Interestingly enough, not too long after he got me into Star Trek, he got out of it. Back then, since I was only a kid, I didn't have a TV of my own, so I could only watch stuff on what was at the time the only TV we had, which meant my parents would end up watching as well. It mustn't have been too enjoyable for my mom, as she's not interested at all in sci-fi.

Needless to say, Star Trek and it's numerous spin-offs have occupied a large amount of my TV viewing through the years. It was always special when any of the Star Trek movies were shown on TV. It didn't happen very often at the time, unlike the seeming glut of Trek movie "marathons" in this day and age. The debut of Star Trek: The Next Generation was a big deal, since it was the first new Star Trek in 17 years (20 years and 20 days since the first broadcast, to be exact) but now we've had almost 20 years of continuous Star Trek, so it's not as big a deal as it was with Next Gen. I've currently got all of the Star Trek movies up to (and including) Star Trek: Generations on DVD, in their Director's/Collector's editions; and am looking forward to the release of First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis in such editions. Hopefully, once of the commentaries will involve Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes. (It's too bad Generations didn't include a Stewart/Shatner commentary, that could have been fun.)

I've also enjoyed Sliders, I've even got the current DVD set. What actually got me into the series was John Rhys-Davies, as I had become a fan of his after seeing him as Michael Malone in the 1993 version of The Untouchables. Professor Arturo then became my favourite character on the show, and my enthusiasm dropped significantly after his character was killed off. Needless to say, episodes up to season three are my favourites.

Babylon 5 is another show which I enjoy quite a bit, and is actually the only sci-fi show which I have all the DVDs for. One thing I absolutely love about the DVDs are the cast commentaries. It's fun to hear Bruce Boxleitner just realizing a particular plot point while the other actors involved point out that the fans realized it when the episode originally aired. What really annoyed me, though, is I kept missing most of "In the Beginning" when it was originally shown, and SPACE in Canada only ran the movies twice as far as I can recall. (to my knowledge, they have never aired "Legend of the Rangers") Thankfully, the DVDs have enabled me to view them as intended... in glorious widescreen. (How times have changed, before DVD came out I would have balked at getting the widescreen version in VHS format, but now I balk at getting a full screen DVD unless there isn't any widescreen version available.)

I haven't seen too much of Stargate, but I enjoy it when I do catch it. If the show is still doing good, both creatively and in the ratings, it's actually the perfect time for the show to bow out. While it's definitely hard to say goodbye to a series and its characters, there's nothing better for a show than to go out while on top and with its fans wanting more. Perhaps there will be movies, either theatrical or made-for-television, some time in the future. If a theatrical movie based on the series were made, it would complete the circle of the Stargate series, since it started with a movie... so it should end with a movie.

Of course, it wouldn't be fair for me to leave out the Star Wars movies. My only real gripe is I have never seen any of the original trilogy in the theatres, not even when the Special Edition came out. Problem was; at the time, money = $0 and $0 = no admittance into the theatre. I had a short-lived tradition several years ago, I would watch all three of the original movies on New Year's Eve, and with the DVDs I'm wanting to return to that tradition. Once "Revenge of the Sith" is released on DVD, I'll most likely adjust the tradition to be episodes I through III on New Year's Eve, with episodes IV through VI on New Year's Day.

There are probably other sci-fi shows which I'm forgetting, but this post is already getting pretty long and I'd rather not bore you to tears any longer. :lol:

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ubertronmanguy, the guy you are reffering to is Tyr, and I agree Andromeda slipped greatly when he left the crew...I know he appears a few times in Season 4, though after that he is basically gone so that sucks badly. I still watch it though in hopes he will one day return, as well as Rev Bem returning to the fold also...

I am waiting patiently for Sliders Season 3 to be released...If I remember it was a pretty good season as well as the others. Oh and Elc in regards to John Rhys-Davies, did you happen to see the Sliders episode where he was a member of the 'Uncurruptables' or something similar? Just like the 'Untouchables' I suppose.
Yeah John Rhys-Davies and Jerry O'connel were my two favorites in the show and I hated it immensely when they each left the show...very sad. So as I was writing about above, I would think a Season 6 of this show created in todays times, it would be quite popular after all the previous seasons are released on DVD, and if the original crew members and actors were all in it, it would be a huge success.

Perhaps a supremely spectacular movie to start things up again would be a good start? Though these are worthless thoughts sadly... And in regards to your post above about Stargate Elc, I would agree (hard for me to say about a show ending) that since Stargate is very popular it would be best to end while it is doing so great in ratings and sales (and not lose out ala Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel) though I would like a season 9 to sort of end things, and then as you said, a nice movie or perhaps mini series made for television things as you mentioned to completely end and sum things up, though I would die for a nice trilogy to end it all...Yep that would be excellent.

It is a sad truth that a show has to end some time...Oh and I like your Star Wars tradition Elc, and it would be fun to watch all the newer Star Wars on New Years Eve and then the originals New Years Day, though I would find that hard to do with the copious amounts of alcohol being consumed and crazy partying going on in the surrounds of my house or at a club...Good plan nonetheless.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

one show i really liked *but was finished off completely not too long ago* was farscape; the cast was varied, the characters were unique and the storyline was always entertaining; it delivered a great deal in the way of entertainment for four years.

my flagging faith in television was restored when this gem hit the sci fi channel; for once, i actually wanted to be home on time for a show, rather than say 'i'll catch the re-runs.' my dissapointment with its cancellation and replacement with just another crappy show *which was cancelled, i believe, before it was on a full season.*

i sometimes watch star trek *voyager* reruns, but they tend to be on when i'm chatting, so that's rare; i follow enterprise somewhat faithfully-while it's not the best of the newer star treks, it is interesting enough to keep me watching.

other than the occasional stray show, i don't watch most tv/movies due to crappy storylines or other issues; if i watch something, it needs to be worth the time.

*gets most of her fix from reading...*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am currently watching Stargate series 4 at the moment, and find it to be one one the funniest seasons I have watched thus far, in each episode a rather funny quote or two are thrown in, usally by Jack O'neil of coarse.
"Saving the planet...steaks...the same thing really."
And when SG1's memory is wiped temporary, when they each start to remeber things O'neil says something like:
"I remeber this bald buy, with a short sleave shirt and so. Does the name Homer ring any bell?" So obviously he is talking about Homer from the simpsons, though later on they just say he was talking about General Hammond, but he was really thinking about Homer so I found that hilarious.

So it is good that Stargate interests me with its good Sci-Fi element, though extra great that it is funny at times, so that makes this show quite popular. In regards to the movie, I had originally seen it a long time ago, though when I got the full DVD movie of it, I made it my buisness to watch the orignal version, and then shortly after to watch the enhanced version with extra deleted scenes integrated into it so I could know the difference. I was impressed there were alot of extras scenes in it so that was cool...
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I am currently watching Stargate series 4 at the moment, and find it to be one one the funniest seasons I have watched thus far, in each episode a rather funny quote or two are thrown in, usally by Jack O'neil of coarse.
"Saving the planet...steaks...the same thing really."
And when SG1's memory is wiped temporary, when they each start to remeber things O'neil says something like:
"I remeber this bald buy, with a short sleave shirt and so. Does the name Homer ring any bell?" So obviously he is talking about Homer from the simpsons, though later on they just say he was talking about General Hammond, but he was really thinking about Homer so I found that hilarious.

So it is good that Stargate interests me with its good Sci-Fi element, though extra great that it is funny at times, so that makes this show quite popular. In regards to the movie, I had originally seen it a long time ago, though when I got the full DVD movie of it, I made it my buisness to watch the orignal version, and then shortly after to watch the enhanced version with extra deleted scenes integrated into it so I could know the difference. I was impressed there were alot of extras scenes in it so that was cool...

Yeah, the show is great. I've seen almost every episode to the present as I wait paciently for them to start the next season. You won't be dissapointed, the series does great as it progresses, like O'Neil's character starts to actually get even funnier, and Teal'c starts to get very 'chatty'. They also have the spin-off show now called Stargate Atlantis... So far it isn't that bad either, even though the characters aren't nearly as interesting as SG-1's. Definitley good entertainment. :mrgreen:
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh and sybillious, in regards to Farscape, I have never actually watched it, though I have seen a few ads here and there but I never got into it. Considering Farscape is a Sci-Fi show then, I would bet that if I actually sat down and watched it from the first episode/series I'd get into it and watch it all the time...and knowing me I would then rush out and buy all the series that have been released on DVD...Now that is getting way ahead of myself, but if I watch a show, and like say an episode or two, without thinking I will rush out and buy it on DVD. Yes this process is wasteful if I then end up hating the show later down the track, but that is just me ha ha.

And Punchdoll, I am glad to hear the show stays great and only improves as it goes on. I am heaps glad I am only up to season 4, and have all the rest on DVD except 8. And by the time I finish series 7, I should have all of 8 by then on tape, and this poor quality solution shall tide me over until it gets released on DVD with special features and such. Stargate: Atlantis has yet to be shown on Australian television as far as I know, though since season 8 of Stargate SG1 has recently started, I will bet that Atlantis should start soon and I will tape that as well. As I have mentioned before, I am enjoying how funny this show can be at times, and I find myself laughing quite a lot, especially when they add funny things that you may not notice the first time you watch it.

In regards to the Star Wars movies, will Star Wars Episode 3 end the whole series once and for all? Or do you think maybe one day George Lucas, or perhaps someone different and new if he has had enough, will start another Star Wars trilogy beginning with Star War Episode 7 till 9? I know the characters from the original Star Wars movies would be a lot older now, and they would not necessarily need to have long and important roles, but they could make an appearance at least. But again they could cann that idea entirely, and make it hundreds or even thousands of years into the future and start things up again. Though I bet they will end Star Wars after Episode 3, it would still be good at the possibilities they could come up with.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's not for everyone; it *farscape* seems to be loved or hated, but little in between. i miss it, but i will probably buy the dvd sets when i can afford them. you might be able to catch it on tv if you have satellite or the sci fi channel; sci fi occasionally runs the episodes now and then *usually around holidays, like american labor day and just recently, halloween; sometimes, you'll even get a mini marathon of episodes on a weekend.*

i never really got into stargate; not sure why, seeing how the style and storyline have elements that i like-it might be characters or some other issue that just didn't click for me.

i don't see star wars going on after they're done with three; in six, they restored peace to the galaxy-the only way, i think, is if there's a remnant sith faction out there somewhere...

i liked battlestar galactica *the original from the 70's* but the newer version just didn't grab my attention; never watched one episode of it nor do i have a desire to.

babylon 5 was also enjoyable; the characters and storyline interested me, but i wasn't really a faithful watcher of the series due to school and other issues.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never was able to get an interest with Farscape....Something about that show bugged me. The same for Babylon 5, too.

I wish they still had Star Trek Next Generation on tv...they took it off recently. :cry:

There's a show that they had on Sci-fi channel for a while called 'Roar'. It ended very abruptly and never finished. It's a shame because it was a decent show.
Another show I used to watch was 'Sliders'...I stopped watching it after the majority of the origional characters were replaced. Heared it never got any better.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Star Trek: TNG is still playing. It's on Spike TV between 9 and 11am I think.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For any Canadians who may be reading this, in addition to the Spike TV airings (which, as Queen mentioned, are back-to-back airings beginning at 9am) it is also on SPACE at 1pm (Pacific) following the original Star Trek and directly before Star Trek: Voyager. Deep Space Nine is oddly absent from the schedule, I'm not sure when that happened. (shows how often I tune into SPACE, doesn't it?)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well im a huge sci fi geek.

Every incarnation of star trek including and especially Deep Space Nine i watched and with exception to voyager throughly enjoyed.

Babylon 5 is my all time faviote show. I have season 1-5 on dvd along with the in the beging /gathering dvd AND the movies collection on top of that.

Hercules and Xena i love as well and i have season 1-4 of herc and 1-3 of xena ( after the third season it sucked cause they dropped the dayhawk plotline)
granted this more into the fantasy genre but meh.

I have something like 200 star trek books, several dozen star wars books and every single babylon 5 book out (minus the episode guides for season 234)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: