Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why Do People Say Yuber Is Developed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Why Do People Say Yuber Is Developed Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is not in the stickied Pesmerga/Yuber thread as it does concern their roles in the series, theories regarding such or anything except a topic on the fan reaction to one of the two characters.

---------------------------------------------------

Why do people claim Yuber is much more developed than Pesmerga? I'm sure you've heard it before. The statement usually being that Pesmerga sucks and is a big sucky suck suck while Yuber is much better, because, after all, in Suikoden III, he got the character development sorely needed to flesh him out rather than him being a two dimensional all round bore that many find his counterpart to be.

What development?! Are people confusing development for "new suit"? Is that all it takes to be "developed" these days?

What was Yuber before Suikoden III? A dark knight with unknown origins, serving those that summon him in order to aid them while attempting to spread chaos. A powerful warrior, Yuber harbours a dislike for True Runes.

Now, let's add everything we learned in Suikoden III for a revised edition: A dark knight with unknown origins, serving those that summon him in order to aid them while attempting to spread chaos. A powerful warrior, Yuber harbours a dislike for True Runes. With a cool suit.

Oh and he has a red eye and a blue eye. Awesome!

Is there anything else learned that adds to the Yuber character, really? If so, please tell me, because I can't find it online and I'm not going through all of Suikoden III again to check.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's based of the fact that Yuber just plays a bigger role in Suikoden III than he does in the first two, though I don't think he's what you would call a three dimensional character (except for Suikoden 3 being in 3d, woah).

That, or the mathlete approach, which seems to be the more time people see a character, the more they think he is a well developed character, even if his only line of dialogue is "....".

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it seems that, as you've noted, people mistake participation for development. he's seen more games than pesmerga, but we don't know much more about him than pesmerga.

also, the suit comment is true; apparently, silly new outfit + goofy new hat = character development.

maybe there's a hint of him being from the world of emptiness (which might explain his ability to summon monsters) but this isn't confirmed, just speculation.

sadly enough, that's pretty much all we have about either, is fan speculation... :|

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually think, because of the detective results in Suikoden 2, that Pezzy is more developed (And if those don't give away that he is the embodiment of Dharma I don't know what will.)

With Yuber, you also need to keep in mind we never saw him fight before. Now we know how umbelievably powerful he is rather than just assuming. I don't think I've ever had that much trouble with an RPG boss.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just because we didn't have a view of in-game mechanics doesn't mean we didn't know Yuber was strong. Hell, in Suikoden I, when the group encountered Yuber in the Village of the Hidden Rune, they DECIDED NOT TO FIGHT HIM AND LET THEMSELVES BE KILLED rather than even risk putting up a fight.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Hyuga

Wanderer

2519 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Yuber is developed just as Pesmerga is developed. Just because he had a major role and a new costume doesn't erase the fact that he was the same Yuber in Suikoden I and II. He's still the mysterious knight summoned to serve his master while trying to spread chaos. There's no difference other than his Michael Jackson costume.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that I agree with him being developed, but he does actually speak on a slight personal level in 3. Even though all he wants is death and destruction. It does still give some hnit as to what goes on in his mind. I can also see people ignoring Pesmerga making Yuber by default the more developed character.
SirYuber

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earthquake923 wrote:
he does actually speak on a slight personal level in 3. .

that is development.. screen time + lot of dialogue + showing emotions = development

at least i consider that adds more to the depth of the character than the things you learn from Richmond/Kidd/Oboro..
Just because you learn about a characters history, does that mean he is well developed? Just because we learn that Georg has a damn history in S2 does that mean he is well developed?...i dont think so...

Yuber is at least as developed as Luca,Mascal,Cray,Troy,Windy,Barbarossa,Leon, yeah you name it.. and a lot more tahn Pesmerga for sure.!

"Then I will put an end to your misery.You, the successor to the 27 true Runes, will be granted your eternal slumber.Don't you feel honored?"
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so speaking gives development? not really; how many characters without names sometimes speak in a movie? not many, but by your definition, they become 'developed' much in the same way a regular one does.

what do his lines state? not much beyond 'sticking with you ensures i get the chance to kill' which really doesn't create anything more than what we already know, that yuber likes to kill. unless he says something beyond the whole 'i like killing, i like chaos' schtick, then he hasn't shown development, just regurgitation of what we already know.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Keo

JutsuNinjas

1161 Potch
4 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel that both of them are not very developed. We know so little about ether of them that you cant realy compare them. In my opinion there both very dull.
SirYuber

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
so speaking gives development?

eh yeah? how would you otherwise get to know a character? ( or a person IRL for that matter?) when a characters speak you get a feel for the characters personality, then you "know" the characters, you know how he/she would react in a certain situation and so on..

what is character development too you? background info?
to me,its lines,actions, screen time and involvement in the story!! in S1,S2 he wasnt particulary involved in the wars, in S3 i was very involved, i mean he was the one who started it all with his assassination of chief Zepon for gods sake!

i am not saying that he is VERY well developed, but a helluva lot more than Pesmerga and a lot of other villains/character in suikoden series..

We all know how Yuber would react in a certain situation (like Luca) he would kill and cause suffering, he is developed to be that way!

when a character like ex. Genshu gets in a tight position, threatened or whatever, we have no idea how he would react, because there are no lines/dialogue/cut-scenes for us to get that info? we just know he killed his brother and likes swords? but is he good or evil? jackass or a nice guy?

see the difference between a character like Yuber and one like Genshu?

"Then I will put an end to your misery.You, the successor to the 27 true Runes, will be granted your eternal slumber.Don't you feel honored?"
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't really put 'Yuber' and 'developed' in the same sentence, because the word 'developed' imposes we already have a complete understanding of the character 'Yuber'. We still don't know that much about him, but SirYuber is right to say that he is indeed more developed than 'Persmerga' in terms of having a longer speech in the whole Suikoden Series script.

And we do know a lot more about 'Yuber' as compared to 'Pesmerga'. Yuber hates True Runes and enjoys bloody massacres, that's a proven fact, and he knows how to dress himself. Pesmerga, on the other hand, has a poor sense of direction and it's seems that his only purpose in life is to catch Yuber. That doesn't say much about a person's character.

Gen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, Yuber is just as undeveloped as Pesmerga is. Those repetitive lines Yuber keeps on sayin in Suikoden III develop him as a character. He's just like a broken record, always talking about chaos and death. In my opinion, his character is just as dull as Pesmerga's
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yuber is an under developed character, but Pesmerga is even more of a mystery himself, he shows up in two games with a seemingly important mission in life, then dissapears of the face of the earth. The only things we know are that he:

a) Is after Yuber.
b) Doesn't eat or sleep.
c) Makes no noise when he walks, even though he wears huge black armour.
d) Is of the same type of being as Yuber, as revealed about Richmond claiming that other people think hes a life form from another plane of existence.

Other than that, nothing is known about him, he never says anything that could remotely give us any information about him, and he never really shows any difference in emotion in plot events. Yuber is at least given exposure to the audience in Suikoden I, II and III. Constantly craving chaos and being a severely tormented and disturbed individual with apparently only one purpose: to cause chaos. Fair enough they're both hugely vague characters, but Yuber plays a larger part than Pesmerga could ever dream of in Suikoden III.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking in and of itself does give development. Giving insight into a character beyond that which we already know is what gives development. In that scenario, Yuber fails spectacularly.

Yuber in Suikoden III merely compounds what we already know. Zero times three, as regards Yuber, is equal to zero times two as regards Pesmerga.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: