Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What planet is Suikoden set on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: What planet is Suikoden set on? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been wondering lately, what is the name of the planet the Suikoden stories are on? Is it just called Suikoden, or is there something canonical listed in a book or game? Or is it just 'the world?' Is there anything people have called it, in fan fiction for instance?

Any answers, suggestions, or musings would be appreciated. For now, I'm just calling it 'Suikoden.'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's just 'the world' as far as the series is concerned, no character has ever described it as anything but. 'The Suikoden World' is of course a variant used outside of the in-game universe.

So, no, there's no official name, and I hope there isn't any common fan name. 'Suikoden' actually means something, it's a crummy planet name. 'Legend of Water Margins' (or whatever variant of the translation you prefer) is a rubbish name for a planet.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:

So, no, there's no official name, and I hope there isn't any common fan name. 'Suikoden' actually means something, it's a crummy planet name. 'Legend of Water Margins' (or whatever variant of the translation you prefer) is a rubbish name for a planet.

I didn't want to name the planet 'water margin' either, which is why I am asking here for other options. Since I have a role playing campaign that I run and this bit of information would be very useful for it, I kind of needed to know if there was anything already set up. If not... my main character will probably just give it a catalog number. If anyone is worrying, my campaign is only for our own enjoyment, not affecting anything else or their stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It may not even be a planet.

There's no official info whatsoever, so name it what you like for your rpg.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vector Xthonic wrote:

Are you thinking of the 'Flat Earth' theory or something crazier like a dream, an experiment in a dish somewhere, an atom forming part of our universe or something else entirely?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flashbacks of Star Ocean 3.... ahhhhhh *runs away*

If you are doing a fan fiction or role play, you could name the world based on the nation you're in. Each region may have a name for the world. This of course exponentially makes your work harder as you have to think up names for the world for each nation.

I'd go with Terra, it's a nice easy name to type (all left handed!), which is what I look for when naming things.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Planet of The Sword and Shield Brothers :mrgreen:
that's what i would call it :P
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flamo Bringer wrote:

From what I implied from Suikoden 3, this was not the first or last planet the conflict between the runes has happened.

I've been calling it Suiko, since that was the name of the map under key items in Suikoden 1 and 2.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Vector Xthonic wrote:

Are you thinking of the 'Flat Earth' theory or something crazier like a dream, an experiment in a dish somewhere, an atom forming part of our universe or something else entirely?

Nah, I'm going with the theory that most RPG world maps are 2 dimensional and loop in x and y directions, which make it a torus, instead of a sphere.

Yvl wrote:
Flamo Bringer wrote:

From what I implied from Suikoden 3, this was not the first or last planet the conflict between the runes has happened.

I've been calling it Suiko, since that was the name of the map under key items in Suikoden 1 and 2.

The word "planet" was never used in the game, though.

Also, "Suiko" means "around the edge of water" such as how the maps depicted regions around lake Toran or Lake Dunan. So it means something like, "lake side map."
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"suikoworld" is the name I use. :D

Wanderer

2519 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or maybe the "Suikoden world" isn't round. Remember Templeton saying he was searching for the edge of the world?
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Remember Templeton saying he was searching for the edge of the world?

I can do that too, that doesn't mean there actually is one. Unless he's actually found it, it's rather moot.
Strider

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Quote:
Remember Templeton saying he was searching for the edge of the world?

I can do that too, that doesn't mean there actually is one. Unless he's actually found it, it's rather moot.

I guess what Hyuga wants to say is just that he is just guessing what the Suikoden world is like. We don't know for sure if there really is an "end" of the world or not.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'd go with Terra, it's a nice easy name to type (all left handed!)

Terra is the Portuguese translation of the word Earth, so you can call our blue planet Terra, too, if you want. Now the world where Suikoden takes place could be the "World of Balance" or something.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Gen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There actually is no name for the planet Suikoden is set on. Heck, no one even knows if it is a planet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: