Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III is a real oddball.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked that Suikoden III eventually brought the focus on Luc and his motivations. Luc was always a favorite character of mine, and I frankly found Chris and Hugo to be unbelievably dull. I think the wind mage deserved some focus, since he was a recurring character whose motivations were, honestly, pretty damn intriguing.

It's not like a 'save the world' thing, like Final Fantasy. It's more like... 'save the region'. And if we're talking about that, we can say the same thing about Luca's desire to destroy the state.
Rob7274

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I agree. Going for something TOTALLY diffeerent when the other two games were go is a bit strange. But I think they were going for sales. Getting more people into the games with something new and more advanced... That doesent always work...
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden's so amazing.

EDIT by Black Pesmerga: I deleted the bit about Suikoden V. Nothing should be mentioned about it outside the Suikoden V forum. Unfortunately your 2 paragraphs were about it though not really detailed whatsoever, but I still have to delete it because of possible spoiler and further off-track discussion (plus, I haven't played Suikoden V either). Please stay focused on Suikoden III instead.

And to other mod, his post was not a spam just because it's only "Suikoden's so amazing" left.
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Suikoden's so amazing.

So true, suikoden's intruicit storyline and backstory keeps me playing em.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cyrus the virus wrote:
I liked that Suikoden III eventually brought the focus on Luc and his motivations. Luc was always a favorite character of mine, and I frankly found Chris and Hugo to be unbelievably dull. I think the wind mage deserved some focus, since he was a recurring character whose motivations were, honestly, pretty damn intriguing.

I think there is a need to get some focus on Luc, but I think that's what the 6th POV is there for. So I feel that the focus on Luc at the end of chapter 5 was a bit annoying. If compared to the previous 2 games, we already had enough idea of what we're fighting for in those games. But because of the third game being much more complicated, we'd need extra explanation to understand Luc's motive and stuff.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My post was edited :( I am a failure!

Okay, not really. I thought I avoided spoilers, but I forget what I wrote in the first place.

Honestly, Pes, I haven't played Suikoden III since a few months after it came out, so I don't remember the order of the chapters, and what happened in each. I don't remember the focus on Luc being annoying at any point, but that may just be because it's been a while. Not to mention that I'm a big Luc fan.

Considering that Luc's motivations were sort of... Well, hard to understand, or explain, to someone who might be half paying attention, I think the more focus on him, the better. But that doesn't mean any other part of the story should have suffered for it.

Any idea why my avatar didn't appear in my last post, though?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the main storyline is Chapter 1-5, with Luc's POV as the 6th. So I felt that it would be better if what Luc was all about to be explained at the 6th POV instead. The focus on Luc at the end of the game (chapter 5) was a bit taking the focus away from the good guys. So that was what annoyed me a bit. I just felt that the end of the game should be all about the battle, the closure, the ending. Explanations should be done either beforehand or afterwards. But yeah it's not *that* big of a deal, so no biggie.

And avatars only showed up on the first post of the page. So if you post more than once in 1 page, then your avatar won't show up on the second/third/etc. Same goes with signature too.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The focus on Luc's activities in Chapter 5, while potentially considered neccessary for those too lazy to get all 108 Stars (so if everything was explained in Luc's POV, they'd never know), damaged the storyline considerably.

But then again, I think the game goes to hell in terms of plot the second everyone joins up. Everyone just runs back and forth for reasons I can't even remember then fight Luc in a chapter that can take all of thirty minutes to complete, not including end credits, Star of Destiny endings, et cetera, at your leisure.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah... Interesting avatar and sig rules.

I don't think it's a question of laziness for someone not to get all 108 stars, though. I'm sure there are a lot of casual players who didn't think getting all of them would reap any real reward. After all, we're not all huge fans of the series. Without the focus on Luc in chapter 5, he might have looked like a bland character with foolish motivations.

We all need to consider that the 108 star bonus is something that caters to fans, and shouldn't be assumed to be necessary to know all of the essential storyline. All the 108 star endings are canon, yes, but a casual player shouldn't have to achieve it simply to know why the bad guy is, well, the bad guy!

But like I said, it's been a while since I've played it. Maybe I'd agree with you guys if I had another chance to do a run. Hopefully I'll get some disposable income soon and can find it for $20 at EBGames.
Suikofreak

Dragon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never really undestood why he tried to unleash the rune. I get the concept of the destruction and why it was nesscessary but why did he just give the rune to Yuber to unleash or something of that nature.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why give it to Yuber, a mercenary from another dimension (reportedly) when he could do it himself? I believe, also, that only Luc was able to harness more than one True Rune at the same time, and Yuber already has one.

That, or the only way to possibly destroy the rune was to use the other elemental runes. And Yuber isn't a strong mage :p
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rob7274 wrote:
Yeah I agree. Going for something TOTALLY diffeerent when the other two games were go is a bit strange. But I think they were going for sales. Getting more people into the games with something new and more advanced... That doesent always work...

Actually, I could be wrong, but isn't Suikoden III actually currently still the highest selling Suikoden?

I think Suikoden III has a kind of stange problem with pacing thanks to the Trinity Site system. After the first 3 chapters, where things move relatitively slowly in part to experiencing many of the many items through three points of view, and the Thomas chapters, as well, and then...All of a sudden, bam, you just have 2 chapters left and those chapters fly fast. Particularily Chapter 5, which is pretty much a war battle, a final dungeon, a final boss, and credit sequence. As a result, I think the end game really suffers in comparison to the early chapters; there's too much on Luc and far too little on your side of the war, too - what, exactly, did Caesar do?

As far as why not trust Yuber with destroying it:

a) How would Luc know whether Yuber would be trustworthy and would complete the mission instead of turning tail and running?

b) How would Yuber do so? Yuber is hardy the pure archmage type; he seems to take more pleasure being on the battlefield than he does casting magic from afar.

c) Destroying his rune was Luc's suicide. He WANTED to die. And he wanted to take a million people with him. Giving the rune to Yuber - or anyone else - wouldn't have accomplished that.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Actually, I could be wrong, but isn't Suikoden III actually currently still the highest selling Suikoden?

As far as I know, Suikoden IV is. It picked up the hype from III, boosting its sales. It's less than happily recieved product ensured that Suikoden V had to pick up it's anti-hype, smacking down it's sales somewhat.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikofreak wrote:
I never really undestood why he tried to unleash the rune. I get the concept of the destruction and why it was nesscessary but why did he just give the rune to Yuber to unleash or something of that nature.

I don't exactly understand your point here, but I believe Yuber has a True Rune in his body - and it was said that only Windy knows a technique to equip two True Runes in one's body. Therefore, "giving" it to Yuber wouldn't be possible. That, and what the others said.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The plot turning into saving the world (although we dont know if the world would have been destroyed only grassland harmonia dunan and probally toran so yeah the whole noth continet)

As for number of units sold for each suikoden it's due in part to the hype and word of mouth of previous game. Example ff7 was good and there was considerable hype that drove sales of ff8 uber high. Eight was lackluster (thats being generous) so Nine's sales werent as high as eights. But FF9 was great so that drove FFX's sales up. The smae thing happens with other series Like Suikoden.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: