Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III is a real oddball.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Suikoden III is a real oddball. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

alot of homages (I really couldnt think of a better word) like the blocked stairs of the inn, or the tenkai either wielding a staff or florentine weaponry, or the silent hero, or even alot of the music scores that you are acustomed to, that appear in every other suikoden.

I think it's gotta be the most different of all the suikodens. agree/disagree?
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 3 does, indeed, break the mold. They tried a few things in Suikoden 3 that didn't really work out and I think that's why they went back to what they know and do well. It is definitely different but in a lot of ways it is the same, such as the six person battle system, the inclusion of recognizable nations, returning characters, and characters related to ones that we've seen before. Each of the games is a bit different but it is very possible that Suiko 3 is comparitively the strange one among the five.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Suikoden 3 does, indeed, break the mold. They tried a few things in Suikoden 3 that didn't really work out and I think that's why they went back to what they know and do well.

Actually, I love most of the more "different" things they did in this game, but I guess I'm in the almost non-existance minority. The battle system remains my favorite in a Suikoden game, and I'm pretty darn sure that with a bit of tweaking and smoothing out the rough edges the whole system could make a comeback.

As for the question posted, I guess I have to agree. Suikoden III was really different in a lot of ways to other games in the series, and heck to other RPGs in general as well!
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. Experimentation with an established formula is nice to see, however; so long as no one tries to reinvent the wheel. As much as I liked it, sometimes I think that Suikoden III came perilously close to that extreme. I tend to think of the main series as such...

I & II: Suikoden au naturel.
III: "Let's mix it up. Throw everything against the wall and see what sticks."
IV: "People didn't like that as much. Better compensate via oversimplification."
V: Back to normal!

In a sense, the history of Suikoden is roughly analogous to many artists' recording careers.
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, when they placed the Trinity Sight System into the game, we could pretty much expect the game to be waaaaay different than the previous two games. But I did enjoy the game's new features, especially the storyline, so Kikito, you're not alone! :D

Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I tend to think that the Flame Champion would've made a great hero. He fits the mold perfectly, wields a staff, bears a true rune, leads a rebellion against a nation.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked Suikoden III (possibly more than the others though I havn't played V yet) due to the different features and the not-so-typical hero.

I liked that the 3 main heroes were all flawed in a certain way (more than Tir and Riou that is) and I especially liked the Trinity Sight System - it allowed us to explore two vastly different nations (I'm not counting Harmonia really) from three different points of views (this was better than Suikoden II as Highland was never really explored at all and we only got to know Jowston intimately).

The buddy system never really bothered me at all and I did like the mount system - in fact, with Hugo/Fubar and Futch/Bright, the end boss was so easy it was untrue.

I didn't like the lack of a world map, but I think that would be the only real negative in an otherwise superb game. It's change in direction and leap in time was beneficial (for me) as it didn't focus on "old favourites" like Flik, Viktor, Clive, etc...which prevented the story from getting stale and dull.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Blazefeeler

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the Flame Champion would have been more than sufficient as a Hero, I believe. He had all the makings, the backstory, and more or less the motivation to do so during his time.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But the story of Suikoden III wasn't about the Flame Champion - it was about the aftermath of a war. Perhaps they could make a Suikoden surrounding the Flame Champion (like a Tactics-esque game) but for Suikoden III, it wouldn't have been a good idea IMO to have the Flame Champion as the hero.

He's a legendary figure - he should stay that way.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you said Axiose suikoden 3 wasent about the flame champion (per se) it was about the aftermath to the war. So while it would have been cool as hell to play as him; its also a good i dea to have that air of mystery around him which adds i think to the overall game.

As for suiko 3 being different or not well in some aspects id agree but certainly nothing to not make it like a suikoden game (like 4 did COUGH). I liked some of the things they tried like the the trinity system but disliked others like the buddy system.

Personally I liked thomas' chapters the best and would have loved to have thomas as the flame champion. and btw thomas is a powerhouse when given proper attention.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob7274

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didnt like suikoden III as much as the other suikodens (even IV). I liked it dont get me wrong. But it didnt feel suikoden to me it was like a different game. I hated the battles. But I think the trinty sight system will be back. And the previous story will be told. So many questions left to be anserwed!!!!
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only thing I don't like about this game is that in the end the story becomes more about Luc and his motivations rather than the main characters. This really disappointed me, because I really liked Chris, and Geddoe and co....plus it didn't really feel like "Suikoden" - the whole thing felt closer to the "save the world" plots of other RPGs, and I always liked that Suikoden focused on smaller, regional conflicts.

Other than that, I think it's a great (if flawed) game that gets a lot of unnecessary flak from Suikoden fans. I personally think that it manages to capture the "Suikoden feel" just fine, for the most part (Luc's plans aside, obviously). The cast and setting were my favorite in the series until V came along (And the members of Unit 12 are still my favorite characters outside of V). I don't really care for the buddy system, but the somewhat increased difficulty (compared to the other games) made up for that. The Trinity Sight System was a nice idea even though it led to some repetition in the gameplay. And I even like the soundtrack - it's not great, but most of it's at least decent, and there are some real stand out songs (like "Searching for a Hero", which is one of my favorites in the series). Also - I always thought the idea of the Tenkai not being the main character was pretty neat, and I wish they'd do something like that again in a future game.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I apologise, but I don't want to open a new thread for this...
Can anyone please tell me where I can find a statue S I need for recruiting Bill? Thank you and sorry for disturbing this thread.

Edit: Thank you for answering my question. I will be more careful where to write my question next time. Thank you nonetheless.

The Fool

Last edited by Eden on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe's Chapter 3 in that chest after beating up that Mountain path monster(mountain path to Caleria.) Hope this helps,ok back to your subject here.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden, such question would be more suitable for our Gameplay related forum which is located in http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67 but since your question is minimal anyways, one of the way to get Statue S is from the horse racing game. I think there are other ways, but I'm not sure myself.

Anyways, going back to the original topic, I definitely think that Suikoden III is indeed an oddball in a sense that it is very different than the previous two games. There are so many changes when compared to the previous two games that it's a bit weird when I think about it. I can understand if they want to spice things up, but to make so many changes? Sometimes it feels like playing a totally different game (which might be what they intended anyways). Whether it's good or bad, that's mixed up to me. I like some of the changes, I don't like some of the changes.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: