Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Disgaea 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Disgaea 2 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Odd that the only topic on the game is the announcement thread, and it hasn't been posted in since like October of last year. If I'm committing a shameful act by making a new thread about the game after release, someone throw something at me. Anyway, anyone else out there got it or planning to get it?

Played for about 3 hours last night and so far I like it. I have a special fondness for games that use these kind of semi-chibi graphics, but with polish. I have to admit that I haven't played the first game (missed the boat on that one, though my friend's wife said she'll lend me a copy if I want), but so far the quirky humor is definitely there (otherwise, I guess it wouldn't really be Disgaea, from what I hear), and the game is fun to play and fun to look at.

The music is a lot of fun, and synchs in a simple fashion to the action happening in a scene, which isn't new by any stretch of the mind, but is appreciated. Sound-wise I also really appreciate how NIS localized games have the option to use Japanese language VA in the game. It's a little thing, and doesn't make or break it all for me, but it is a welcome touch.

I'm not sure what it's like for folks who have already played the game, but it is a little overwhelming to try to figure out all the game mechanics in the first few hours. The mechanics of the item world, just plain old items themselves, the Dark Assembly, the combo system, and a bunch of other stuff is touched upon briefly (in typical console-game fashion) during tutorials, but I get the feeling that they only really scratch the surface of what's there. It probably also didn't help that I only let myself play for a set amount of time and have not had the chance to really dig into the game yet.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions based on a frightfully small amount of playing so far. I'll probably post more stuff later when I get more time with the game.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ah? there is a choice of voice acting being either Japanese or English in Disgaea 2? I don't even think the first one had that option.

As far as Disgaea 2 I am sad to say I don't have the game and am not planning to get it...I have the first one and I got somewhat addicted to the item world. Then just stopped playing.

Then again....I'm not a big fan of strategy/tactical RPGs so maybe I shouldn't even be talking <.<;

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh you can talk all you want...whether or not we listen will be something else entirely. Just kidding. ^_^

I haven't played the first one, so I don't know if there was a VA option in that one. I think I may have to fiddle with the volume settings in the game because the background music does tend to drown out the VA a little on my setup. Both localized Atelier Iris games over here had the VA choice though, so I hope NIS America continues to do that. I mean, like I said, it's such a little thing, but I appreciate it. And I can't imagine that it takes up THAT much room on a DVD-ROM or anything.

As a side note, another post reminded me that I hadn't mentioned the strat guide. I know a bunch of people don't care or harsh on the use of guides, but the Disgaea 2 guide is put out by Double Jump. I'm on the fence about whether I prefer their stuff to Brady or Prima, because the amount of info Double Jump puts in is enormous, and you definitely feel more like you're getting your money's worth IMO, but sometimes the way they present the info is a little confusing. It's all there, but it's not quite as simple as Brady's or Prima's, but I guess that's not always a bad thing either. I kinda like in some ways that they don't spoon-feed you everything.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If double jump is the same people that did the Phantom Brave strategy guide, then yes their stuff is good but packed. It will really mess up a new player's head. I remember the Phantom Brave Guide's "Way to make Marona super-powerful" section. Man that was really long and tedious for me.

To tell you the truth, I got really tired with strategy games. Two years ago, that was the only thing on the market. But it's now to a point where I'm finding them all to be too time consuming. The last one I played was Makai Kingdom. And I barely had the patience to see three of the endings.

But I'll probably pick Disgaea 2 someday. I mean it is Disgaea's sequel and all. Equus, I'd appreciate it if you keep us informed about this game. Maybe you can convince me to pick it up someday. (Gotta save up for the next generation consoles in the meantime.)

68022 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it on wednesday.

From what I've heard so far from the English VAs is that the guy that does Adell's voice makes the character seem, well it's hard to describe; but he seems to lean too much into one tone of voice which messes up the majority of the scenes I've seen so far. Some of the other actors seem to have the same problem "I should be sounding more serious in this bit of dialouge, but I'm too busy trying to sound dorky/smarmy/arrogant etc."

I probably wouldn't be too hard on the voice acting if it wasn't for the fact that the previous installments did just fine with the English cast. In fact, in NIS's previous games I found the English staff a lot more fun giving the characters a type of energy that made me care for them. While the Japanese cast would sound too "been there, done that" by comparison. Jokes had a excellant punch with how the actors delivered them, and yet they were upset or furious when the situation called for it.

In terms of gameplay, I'm glad to see that they've kept the basic formula. They've probably fine tuned it in some areas but it's hard to compare because I haven't played 'Hour of Darkness' in literally years. All I know is that Item World is a little more lenient this time around, and they've added a few new classes. Which is always a plus in my book, especially the Beast Tamer who makes monsters more useful. Now I can use dragons and other cool beasties without feeling like I'm bringing along a mascot.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
If double jump is the same people that did the Phantom Brave strategy guide, then yes their stuff is good but packed. It will really mess up a new player's head. I remember the Phantom Brave Guide's "Way to make Marona super-powerful" section. Man that was really long and tedious for me.

Yeah, they probably are the same people. Double Jump seems to have a tendency toward grabbing the more "obscure" titles that Brady and Prima don't jump at, like Megaten. And from the intro to Disgaea 2's, this is the largest guide that Double Jump has ever made, page-wise, so you can imagine just how much stuff is jammed into it. And that's with almost no storyline spoiler information and not that many big pieces of art in it. I still am not a fan of their layout, and if they were going to publish the strategy guide equivalent of a dictionary, I would have liked it to have been a little better laid out with maybe an index, but I guess there's also something to be said about it not being TOO easy to find info. I mean, otherwise it would be too easy to just pick it up and reference. With it being so dense info-wise, you kinda have to almost work yourself up to looking for something in it. LoL.

Quote:
But I'll probably pick Disgaea 2 someday. I mean it is Disgaea's sequel and all. Equus, I'd appreciate it if you keep us informed about this game. Maybe you can convince me to pick it up someday. (Gotta save up for the next generation consoles in the meantime.)

Will do. I took my first stab at the item world, which was pretty cool. Since I haven't played the first game and didn't really know what to expect, I was a little under-prepared and had to beat a fast track out of there after like a half dozen level. Think I need to expand my army a little more so I'm not running into a problem with attrition...heh. Unfortunately, I think I won't have as much time as I might want to play this weekend with gaming Saturday and a beer-tasting thing for a friend's mini-micro-brewery on Sunday, but I do have all of Monday to put in to this and Xenosaga, so hopefully I'll have more stuff to talk about after that. One thing I've already mentioned but keep noticing and liking a lot is the music. ^_^ It's quirky, yeah, but it's pretty good.

Cupil wrote:
I probably wouldn't be too hard on the voice acting if it wasn't for the fact that the previous installments did just fine with the English cast. In fact, in NIS's previous games I found the English staff a lot more fun giving the characters a type of energy that made me care for them. While the Japanese cast would sound too "been there, done that" by comparison. Jokes had a excellant punch with how the actors delivered them, and yet they were upset or furious when the situation called for it.

Good thing you're here to make comments about the English VA, since I obviously don't use them. ^_^ My very VERY limited understanding of Japanese sometimes makes me wonder about the choices that they made in translation when I see the subtitles, but the Japanese seiyu seem to do a pretty good job from what I can hear. Emotional range seems to be about right and most of the characters are sufficiently over-the-top when they need to be.

Quote:
In terms of gameplay, I'm glad to see that they've kept the basic formula. They've probably fine tuned it in some areas but it's hard to compare because I haven't played 'Hour of Darkness' in literally years. All I know is that Item World is a little more lenient this time around, and they've added a few new classes. Which is always a plus in my book, especially the Beast Tamer who makes monsters more useful. Now I can use dragons and other cool beasties without feeling like I'm bringing along a mascot.

That's what I've read from some reviews, that the gameplay actually takes a few refinements from more recent Nippon Ichi games, but mostly goes back to the mechanics of Disgaea. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is probably subjective, though I am liking the mechanics so far...and I haven't really scratched the surface of it at all.

I do wish the camera system was a little more intuitive. Especially on the levels with really strange height differences, it gets to be a pain to really get a good view of things, though I suppose I've had this problem on and off with most SRPG titles. It's taking me a little while to get used to the movement of the cursor, for some reason, and I have to see if I can't make the "target areas" easier to see when it's amongst some geopanels. Sometimes I can't really see the blinking red because of all the darn colors, but sometimes I have a hard time seeing it without a colored geo-panel too. Maybe I'm just getting older and my eyes are going.

Right now I'm mostly interspersing advancement of the story with gathering mana and level grinding so I can start making a few new characters. Right now I only have the main characters for up to the beginning of the third chapter, the "generics" that you get at the beginning, and a random zombie that I captured along the way.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
To tell you the truth, I got really tired with strategy games. Two years ago, that was the only thing on the market. But it's now to a point where I'm finding them all to be too time consuming. The last one I played was Makai Kingdom. And I barely had the patience to see three of the endings.

I like strategy games, but to tell you the truth, I pretty much despise Nippon Ichi strategy games now. It was fun the first two times (La Pucelle, Disgaea) but after that, it started to become just a grind that you couldn't escape from. Going down 10 levels of Item World to get special upgrades, and then missing the item gods? Grindng XP in that one level where the enemies are lined up 9x9? Bleah. I gave up with Disgaea once I realised that the game wasn't about strategy, but about who had more muscle. The ONLY strategy in Disgaea was that, if you couldn't win, you levelled up.

Unfortunately, unless Disgaea 2 is different (and I bet it isn't, since Nippon Ichi reuses the basic engine mechanics and mathematics), I can't see myself getting into it. Disgaea was cute, but its style of story isn't something I can go through more than once in a... few years.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
I like strategy games, but to tell you the truth, I pretty much despise Nippon Ichi strategy games now. It was fun the first two times (La Pucelle, Disgaea) but after that, it started to become just a grind that you couldn't escape from. Going down 10 levels of Item World to get special upgrades, and then missing the item gods? Grindng XP in that one level where the enemies are lined up 9x9? Bleah. I gave up with Disgaea once I realised that the game wasn't about strategy, but about who had more muscle. The ONLY strategy in Disgaea was that, if you couldn't win, you levelled up.

I can definitely see that argument with many RPGs out there, some of them not even SRPG. Sometimes the answer isn't some "strategy" other than level grind some more. Depending on the mechanics, this sometimes bothers me or not.

I'm only some 12 hours or so into the game, so I can't really let you know how much, if anything, has changed from the "grind more experience" formula. If and when I have a better idea of it, I'll definitely let you know.

Personally, strategy RPGs tend to fizzle out on me in terms of interest. Mostly because I get distracted really easy, so unless there's something compelling in the story that makes me want to play more, they easily get put on the shelf. Quirky and "interesting" themes usually can only hold me for so long.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actual strategy definitely does not apply to Strategy-RPGs. It only works in video games where a fairly large amount of variables are introduced (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the original Kessen and Brigandine to some degree). This gives more realism in strategic planning, and forces the player to oftentimes make sacrifices that are for the greater good in the long run.

Strategy is also necessary in games that utilize units that can't be "levelled" or otherwise strengthened (Daisenryaku and Advance Wars), in which case the battle is decided by who is the better strategist. The enemies in Strategy-RPGs are usually static and can't level to the same degree that players can.

It's no wonder that games like these are easy.
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not finished with Disgaea 2 just yet but so far everything I've done in it has been really fun. I got pretty obscessed with the first game (300 hours, Laharl with 16000 total levels) and so far I still like that one more, but Disgaea 2 does have it's strong points.

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never played a Disgaea game until I rented the second out of the cover looking interesting. I've never played the first one nor heard of the game. I must say that beating it within 7 days and powerleveling with a red skull mage about 7 chapters into the game and being lv 303 with an abraxes and a 313 dragon (2nd to last avalaible color/type/class) and getting to the last floor of cave of trials...with how much this game allows you to create an army and be as god like as you want---it made me happy. The downside was hearing the same words "my father.." "Overlord zenon this...overlord zenon that..." "You are friends zam, you are cool zam"

I wanted to mute and punch a hole in my TV when the little inbetween story scenes came on. Most of the cast were forgettable. I really only liked Axel (<3), Adell,Adells parents, and Rozalin. The rest could take a hike. I havent listened to the japanese voices yet but meh...

Overall for just the main story the game is got to be the shortest one ever in that aspect. But for people like me who like to level up infinatly, it was a welcome change.

I especially loved kicking the senators rear XP approve my bills!

Laharl had the corniest voice too. Etna was just as bad. Next to the gameplay (the shining point) the music, specifically the vocaled battle tracks were really good (Axel <3! >>; ). The twist in the end of the game made me WTF a bt since either I wasnt paying attention or too busy powerleveling to notice the hints. Otherwise it was good to see one of many endings. Not to mention the rest of the little sidequests. For sure a time consuming game.

Most hated thing of the game: Item world. It can DIE xP

XD I loved how they talked about their levels and stats though. Good game for humor (and the prism rangers XP)

More of a rental game then a buy. I'd say it'd be a buy for only those that have the time, the patience, and the nerves of steel to brave through all the game has to offer.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jinners wrote:
The downside was hearing the same words "my father.." "Overlord zenon this...overlord zenon that..." "You are friends zam, you are cool zam"

I've only been using the Japanese VA and I kinda find the translation interesting sometimes. I mean, I only know VERY little Japanese, but I don't think Yukimaru is saying "zam" all the time. From what I can tell, the dialogue actually uses "gozaru", which I think is an older polite version of speaking. As for how the cast sounds, the Japanese VA fit very well, I think. Then again, I'm one of those self-confessed snobs who'd rather watch anime in Japanese anyway. >_<

Anyway, an emergency one week vacation and the arrival of VP2 has kinda meant that I haven't been able to touch this game in a while. It's definitely entertaining, and I'm not sorry I bought the game, but it hasn't quite grabbed me the same way some other games do.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess time to ask this was maybe before early august of last year but did anyone pre-ordered this game in the "Limited edition Disgaeaâ„¢ 2: Cursed Memories pre-order sets" from NIS America directly and got the what is said to be the very limited artbook?

http://www.nisamerica.com/images/email/disartbookbig.jpg

I just got my hands on a copy of an artbook that looks exactly like that one, along with the "best of" soundtrack(which I think was also given away at gamestops for preordering as well) but I'm having a very hard time confirming if this is indeed the super limited book in those preorder packs.

the one I got is slightly bigger than a DVD case sureface area wise and only has under 50 pages in all japanese, which was not what I expected at all. However it seems the dimentions does match those of the NIS America version... does anyone own one of these?
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm playing it right now, and I'd say that sadly, all you really need is patience and a hell load of luck to achieve everything in the game. At the beginning, you'll need quite a lot of strategy, but sooner or later you'll graps the basics and it all goes smoothly then. Maybe sometimes you'll get trapped but it's nothing too serious.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got Disgaea and Disgaea 2 but I couldn't see what the hipe was about ^^ sorry to the fans. I played Disgaea 2 until close to the end where Adell's parents were revealed and .... I died..... I didn't save for the past 3 levels and I just gave up, beating monsters up with muscle powers just becomes too much to me.

Personally, I like La Pucelle, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom more than the Disgaea series. ^^" They take themselves seriously and in my opinion have lots more characterialisation than Disgaea or Disgaea 2.

But in terms of gameplay and customisation, Disgaea 2 is currently the best in NisAmerica's selections though like Arcana said, the most common strategy in the game is to level up if you can't beat anything. :cry: Imagine spending hours in the Item world and than just die before you can save....... I wouldn't mind leveling up if I can empathise with the characters but the Disgaea characters tend to use slapstick humor which dosen't really speak much about their characters.

I am waiting eagerly for Soul Cradle now, if its ever gonna be localised. I read from somewhere its more like La Pucelle and if that's the case, I am going to buy it first time it arrives. ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: