Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Need help with a shipping problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Need help with a shipping problem Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I asked around in Tinto, but unfortunately, none of us know much about shipping items interstate. That's no one's fault, we just haven't done that kind of thing. So maybe someone else here that's more experienced can guide me. I'm sure that someone here has used some kind of delivery service.

I decided to let Brecht (and thus Acheron) borrow my copy of Suikoden 2. I haven't really done anything like this before, so I don't want to mess up somehow. The game is really important.

But now, I need help finding the best way to get the game to Brecht. He has kindly offered to pay the shipping cost, but I have no intention to make him bleed from his wallet. Even Suikoden isn't worth that kind of anguish.

I can think of UPS, FedEx, and the United States Post Office as possible carriers. I know that FedEx can get crazy with their delivery charge, though. It cost my brother around 70 dollars or so, to deliver a box of goods to Chicago from Southern California, so that option will probably be ignored. However, Brecht reminded me that I would like to have some kind of insurance policy just in case it gets lost somewhere.

For those of you who use Ebay (to be more precise, those who are selling on Ebay) what do you all use to ship your items to the bidder? I only buy stuff of Ebay, so I've never distributed something like this before.

And finally, what should I do to make sure that the game remains in good condition during the delivery? Should I go insane with the bubble wrap? Should I put it in a small box inside a slightly bigger one?

Thanks again for any help, in advance.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What a nice guy!

I would stick it in a box with some hard sponge squeezing it with about 1 inch space between the CD Jewel case and the edge of the box. If that costs a bit too much, stick it in a DVD case as they have a bit more give and should protect the disc better. Then ship it in one of those bubble envelopes with the word FRAGILE written on it.

I can't however speak for the best way to ship in the US. In Canada, I'd use the Postal Service. Make sure you register the package (meaning one of them would have to sign for it).

You could always ask your postal service guy what the best way to do it is. I wouldn't use Fed Ex or UPS because that's pretty expensive if you don't have a business account with them.

Hope this helps

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would highly recommend getting insurance if you're shipping out your copy of Suikoden II. You don't want to take any chances with that. I believe UPS insures each package automatically if its value is 100 dollars or less. With USPS, it'll be a couple of extra dollars, but its' still worth it. If you're going to use USPS, get delivery confirmation/tracking as well, which is 50 cents extra (though UPS packages have tracking for free).

I usually ship out my ebay packages using USPS Priority, which costs four dollars (before things like insurance etc). It usually takes 2-3 days to reach most places in the US. I've had no problems using padded envelopes, but you might want to use a box for extra security. They have cheaper options of course, but your package will take longer to get to its destination.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll have to agree with Blasphemy, a bubble-wrap envelope and a DVD case for the game itself doesn't cost much, but it does increase the chance of your game arriving in perfect condition a hundred fold, really.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wrap it up, USPS + Insurance. definatly insurance, even though if i HAD a copy of suikoden 2, and it DID go missing, and i did get a pay out on the insurance, i would STILL be very very very very verry unhappy/annoyed/pee-d the... yeah.

I'm international, but all my purchases from American sellers get here within 5-14 days, with exception to sea mail and dodgy sellers... :(. everything comes without a problem. I got the suikoden V pre ordered dvd coming soon.

ebay sellers post suikoden internationally for about 12 usd, and about 5-9 locally (within us) without adding 2 dollars insurance, so i don't see why it should cost anymore than that.

a padded bag for DVDs is fine.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Such lucky people getting to borrow that game. I've been trying to bum a borrow off of a member here for about a year. *is jealous* I support the insurance idea. My brother just got a bunch of packages (in cardboard boxes) shipped by UPS and all of the boxes' corners were smashed in. Sometimes they really aren't careful with your packages. Bubble wrap and styrofoam are good things to have inside. You could also use packing peanuts, but I don't trust those things. So, yeah. Just make sure that your game is handled carefully and have it sent back to you with the same care.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forget UPS; they constantly lose packages.

If you want it hand delivered with a tracking number that both you and the recipient can see, go with FedEX. If the item is really important, FedEX all the way.

USPS is good if you want insurance (although I'm sure FedEX has some options like that). You can insure the game for a couple dollars, and if there's any damage, you'll get reimbursed.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks everyone. This was all very informative.

I'm considering FedEx and the USPS. It's going to depend on the prices more than anything. If shipping it by FedEx (presumably the expensive option) doesn't cost too much money, then I'll go with that. If not, I'll go through the insured USPS with delivery confirmation tracking as Red Stuff mentioned. (Ebay shippers, should know about that sort of thing)

Now I just have to think about when to send it. I have a friend that's playing through the entire series, and I'm letting her go through it in timeline order. Suikoden 4 is done, and she's currently at Suikoden 5. If it took her about 2 weeks to get to the point where she could name her castle, I assume it will take about a month and a half for her to finish Suikoden 5 and Suikoden 1. That would mean I would need Suikoden 2 back around that time. But whatever, I'll work out the details soon enough.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FedEX isn't terribly pricey, as far as I know. I shop at akadot fairly often and my stuff is always shipped by FedEX... I think the most it ever was was around 6 bucks, which isn't too bad since I get the stuff in two days.

If you use USPS, don't send after Thanksgiving. Xmas rush begins then.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FedEx rates are cheap when shipping from businesses because they usually have a business account. I wouldn't recommend shipping FedEx Express unless Brecht has an urgent need to play the game the next day after you send it.

However, if you don't mind the wait, you can ship using FedEx Ground service, which is 2-5 business day delivery. One problem with FedEx is that if you miss the courier at the door more than three times, you have to go to the nearest FedEx office to pick it up, and that might be a hassle for some people. This is standard courier policy, though.

For something personal and small like a game, I'd take the advice that Blasphemy has given and wrap up your game well. Put it in a good case and wrap it a few times with bubble wrap. Seal the envelope well. Buy insurance. If you're paranoid, you can either register it, or send it using whatever USPS's express delivery policy is (usually a better idea anyway, they cover higher insurance costs and it gets there faster). In Canada, that would be XpressPost from Canada Post. If it's a package, it will be left at the post office instead of in a mailbox, so you don't have to worry about mail theft.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Forget UPS; they constantly lose packages.

I hate UPS they just leave packages at the door, no knocking. They once chucked a package of mine on my grandfather's deck. It wasn't found until sometime later after receiving a replacement. You are really better off with the post office. They have insurance also, and you can buy an option that lets you know the package was received and by whom.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UPS is a courier company. You should be able to specify that you want your packages signed for, and order them not to leave it at the door.

I've heard both good and bad about them, but the case with most companies is that the louder, more vocal customers are the ones who've had bad experiences.

But, for shipping a single video game to share, I wouldn't recommend a courier anyway. It's way too much overkill for something that's not critical. Your courier company is supposed to be there to ship things FAST.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: