Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Royal family name
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which name do you prefer for the Falenan royal family?
Falenas
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Farenas
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Granted. But what if I decide I like the names Felid, Alshtat and Ryon better? Am I more right because they 'sound better'?

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And what if it's merely a typo based on an inaccurate translation?

Errors aren't canon unless Konami push it through. Star Dragon Sword is canon, as Konami have continued again and again to push it in translations, rather than changing it to Zodiac Sword.

However, True Holy Rune is not canon, as Konami have, since Suikoden II, gradually morphed the name back to 'Godspeed Rune'.

We're dealing with a simple leap of logic. Is there any explanation at all for the name 'Farenas' besides a typical l/r mistranslation on a name designed to be based on the name of the nation? No.

Is there any reason to assume this is intentional and just another mix-up? No.

Are we supposed to accept every typo and mistranslation the first time they appear without seeing if Konami choose to rectify it in future or not? I say, no. Others may say yes, however.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the fact that "Farenas" is the only translated instance of their last name, as fans we're rather obligated to accept this. If in the future Konami rectifies it, then we can assume it was originally a typo or blunder. And while it seems likely "Farenas" is a typo, that's hardly our call to make. For all intents and purposes, "Farenas" is the official translated last name of the Falenan royal family. As such, that's how it should be used in general usage.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's more debatable because the difference lies in a commonly confused area of Japanese/English translation.

Everything is not equal in this situation and the l/r issue does make this more likely to be a translation screw-up more than anything else.

And, yeah, it is our call to make, really. It's the assumption of the fans that lead us to using names like Tir, Riou, Lazlo and so on, not what Konami say, it's why many sites use or used the term Zodiac Sword, including this one. It's why, in the past, people used the term Godspeed Rune, before Konami introduced it themselves in their official translations.

It's simple logic. The nation is called Falena, the name of the royal family is based on the name of the nation, the translation of the name contains a letter that has replaced a letter that it is commonly mixed up with in Japanese to English translations. Do we ignore that?

Individual choice, I guess. But I'll be sticking with Falenas, the intent is obvious. It's like considering 'Victor' valid because it managed to sneak into the translation for Suikoden III.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I figured we should vote instead of just "adopting" it because it's not confirmed. There are other typos in the credits (like spelling "opening" as 'openinng'), so we can't just assume that Konami translated it with an r.

I guess it is just personal preference. It's not like we use the name a ton (well, we won't once we've decided on the name to adopt for the Prince), so it doesn't matter. I guess it's just preference, and using either spelling shouldn't create too much confusion (if any).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: