Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Military Strategy Case Scenario II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death

The Death Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank u, Thank u, I like writing scenarios and this type of stuff.

:D
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually to be quite honest, I see two big flaws (and a few little ones) with Death's strategy. No offense personally of course, this is just a comment. The big ones are:

1. The strategy was supposed to be a pre-emptive attack to give Atastria Kingdom the upperhand on the war between the two nations. By sending Lud the Mad as a "spy" and even pretending to allow Varkamond Empire to attack first, you lose the pre-emptive attack advantage. They would be in "alert" mode already by the time you sent Lud the Mad to their fort in Edicdee. Sure the destroy from within is still effective, but you lose the pre-emptive attack that you should've done with the strategy.

2. The strategy relies too much on Dayd managing to make Lud the Mad joining Atastria Kingdom. If that didn't work, the whole strategy wouldn't be able to be done at all. There would be no spy, there would be no destroying from within, and there would be no pinching Grotha from Cartleen and Edicdee either.

The smaller ones are:

1. Enemies of Atastria doesn't necessarily mean allies of Varkamond. So while it is possible for Varkamond Empire to believe Lud the Mad, it's quite a small chance IMO. Especially since they would've known that Lud the Mad has a brother who is in the Atastria Kingdom army.

2. Pirates usually work independently unless offered to join a side. They are very rarely the one who approached with the alliance offer. More reason for Edicdee to be suspicious of Lud the Mad's offer.

3. Grotha only has 25,000 soldiers in total while you have 40,000 soldiers in Cartlen (plus another 10,000 there as well, total of 50,000 soldiers). With his number being half of the total of soldiers you have in Cartlen, even with Lud the Mad's "plan" to attack Bosmond at the same time, it is quite an unlikely move to take. You just do not attack a town from the front like that when the opponent has twice as many soldiers as you have.

But it's still a good strategy of the destroying from within. To me though, it's just not reliable enough to happen like that. The strategy relies more on "hoping that the other people acted like you predicted" rather than "making your own move to control the situation and forcing the opponent to act as you predicted".

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Death

The Death Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your reply is much longer than my original strategy :)

Thanx for the infos, i just got too excited i forgot i'm the one who is supposed to be offensive, haha.

I'll try better next time.

By the way, did you actually analyze my strategy or the flaws are obvious?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't that obvious if it's presented as a separate stand-alone strategy. But it's quite obvious to me because I also participated in making strategy as well. Hence, I realized about the pre-emptive and the fact that Lud the Mad might or might not join.

So overally, I think you got a great idea (I never thought of destroying from inside to be honest), but the implementation of the idea needs to be more reliable than that.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I've posted my strategy and have had a chance to read the other strategies, I'll first comment on Bugg's.

My big concern is that you take the 10,000 capital guard troops from Cartlen as reinforcements. That seems very, very risky, I've never heard of even the most aggressive countries doing that. Not only that, but even if strategy-wise it wouldn't make a difference(which it may or may not), your King wouldn't necessarily approve of leaving him unguarded, and I don't think you'd be permitted to do it.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, I noticed that too after I posted my strategy. It's a flaw for sure, but I think it's quite a small one that might have no significance at all because at that time, I've already had control over Invelk and Edicdee area. The only threat from Varkamond Empire was the one from Celdeen, and they must go through me first had they want to attack Cartlen. So in a sense, sending 10,000 soldiers from Cartlen would also strengthen their own defense (because I would be the one acting as the defense of the nation from foreign attack).

And I might not mention this in the strategy post, but it's also possible that the 10,000 that I left in Bosmond could be divided into two units and be split between Bosmond and Cartlen with 5,000 soldiers each while the 10,000 soldiers from Cartlen could still be used by me for the purpose of the war. So Cartlen would not be left empty without guards. If I propose this alternate to the King of Atastria, I'm sure that he would grant my request because Cartlen's distance to my post in Invelk area would be way closer than from Bosmond. So it's more efficient if I ask for reinforcement from Cartlen, while leaving the soldiers from Bosmond to be the replacements in Cartlen instead.

But then again, the strategy made was only estimation in the first place anyway. It's not meant to be followed exactly down to the numbers (hey, I could have more than 10,000 casualties, Varkamond Empire might have been prepared, or they might have great strategist working for them, we don't know). Cartlen having 10,000 soldiers and me asking for reinforcement from there wouldn't necessarily mean I got all 10,000 soldiers. Let's say the King only allow me to use 5,000 of them or let's say that I can only have 5,000 but from Bosmond. That'd give me a total of roughly 25,000 soldiers in Invelk for my unit. 25,000 soldiers looks to be less than 30,000 soldiers of what Celdeen has, but using the very same logic (of no one wants to leave the capital unguarded), Varkamond Army cannot attack me with all 30,000 soldiers either. So I could still hold my ground in Invelk with or without the reinforcement from Cartlen.

By the time Rodric's army finished cleaning up on the north and come back to Invelk, I'll be back in numerical advantage again, and proceed as planned. The reinforcement from Cartlen isn't really *that* important because the main objective of my unit in Invelk is to defend that area and not to attack. So having a bit less or equal amount of soldiers would not really matter that much. I hope you're satisfied with my answer. Thank you for the comment.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But doesn't your strategy also plan on attacking Celdeen head on to finish them off? This is a city which will probably be defended by 30,000 soldiers (they'd be pretty stupid to send any of their troops out to battle against the superior numbered force) and in hilly terrain. Plus its their capital city, and their last city. The defense is going to be very fierce, and just simply attacking it is probably going to require a much larger troop advantage. That's why I didn't want to do that in the first place.

If I were to make a second strategy that required taking over the whole country in one swoop instead of just crippling it, it would definately involve goading some troops out of Celdeen before Celdeen is their last stand.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly don't see any problem with taking over Celdeen at all. Yes, it's the last city, yes they have 30,000 soldiers, and yes the defense would be fierce. But I still hold the numerical advantage. Without any special tactic by them, there isn't much that they could do other than being a sitting duck that waits to be defeated. Unless somehow something goes really wrong that I was left with no numerical advantage, I just don't see why it's a problem at all. And if I did screw it up so that I lose the numerical advantage, then obviously I don't deserve to win the war and I definitely deserve to lose.

And you mentioned in your initial strategy that you would simply siege Celdeen had the King wished for you to take over the whole country. Meaning that you think that it's still possible to defeat Celdeen without goading some troops out of the city beforehand. So IMO, I still don't see any problem at all by attacking Celdeen straight forward.

Keep in mind that the term "straight forward" here doesn't necessarily mean only attacking without any strategy, but more like attacking openly to take over the city and not just to stall or being a diversion or whatnot.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you ask me, something like a 4 to 3 numerical advantage isn't going to mean as much as the rest of the factors. I think attackers have an inherent disadvantage to overcome, and while maybe 4 to 3 will do it for an open battle, but not against a nation's last stand in an easily defendable area.

As for my strategy, thats why I said I would siege Celdeen if I had to continue fighting, because I didn't want to attack it with 30,000 soldiers in it. And I know you could've done something like that in your strategy, but you didn't say that. You just said you would attack it, and that's it. A siege isn't really attacking. Its kind of goading them into attacking you.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it was me, i would choose Dayd and Solomiyov. Here is what i would do:

I would take Dayd to convince Lud the Mad to stop the pirating on our seas and I would have Solomiyov persuade him to eventually join us. When he joins us, i would have him defend the Atastrian borders from other pirates, but would like to have them join us. Solomiyov again would have to convince the defeated pirates to join us.

Once the threat of the pirates has been removed, the 20,000 soldiers at Bosmond will be set for a siege at Edicdee along with the pirates and 5,000 of my troops. Sonomiyov will have called upon a fog to hide our troops and have the captured soldiers and officers defect to our side. Should Grotha submit under my command, i would have him bring all his troops from the three fortresses under the Atastrian Army.

Afterwards, i would have the pirates, under Colonel Lud's command, raid the Varkamordian ports, namely Glickway and Hopalway, having the trrops divert their attention up north.

However....after two months, i would have 10,000 of Grotha's troops invade into the territory in question, while simultaneously have my 35,000 troops along with another 10,000 of Grotha's army spearhead into the Capital Celdeen to capture the Emperor Ruthaal and wait for the command of the good King Dunayn II.

Ta da! :!:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Solomiyov -- A skilled orator who may be able to convince defeated enemies to join your side. Also good with magic
- This sounds ideal to me, to make your enemies your friends is a powerful ability indeed! I would use him as an envoy to the various towns in the Empire to trick them into thinking he is helping them and to persuade them to my side. I will also use his magic skills to co-ordinate my troop movements.

Quote:
Cerdyc -- A warlord from the border region who has 5000 of his own feared warriors who fight to the death. He is also a skilled strategist.
- This also sounds ideal, not only does he bring his own army of feared warriors but he well skilled in directing strategy and plans. I will use him mainly to as an excuse to move my armies across the empire without declaring war.

I would have liked to have chosen Dayd simply because his presence would free up another 20,000 troops. However I don't think I would feel comfortable in trusting the word alone of 'Lud the Mad' who makes a living for himself and his men by pirating. I don't think he would change his vocation quite so easily.

The basis of my strategy relies upon misinformation, fake ploys and propaganda which would enable me to influence to the general population of Varkamord and thus to then influence the people who command them.

STAGE ONE

The first thing I would do is too get General Llwellyn off of his ass and make him put those 20,000 troops to good use. As the majority of my coast line is actually cliffs/mountains there isn't really a huge amount of places where the pirates can strike. I would want a massive clampdown on all pirate activity. Although I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to stop half of the raids I would make sure that the opportunities that did present themselves to the pirates were few and far between and for every raid that they succeeded in then there would be one raid that they were driven away with losses.

I would then have Solomiyov engineer a public scandal which would result Cerdyc being banished from the Kingdom, something suitably risqué such as Cerdyc seducing my wife AND my daughter. A story which would be told across taverns all around the land by the general population and would soon spread through to Varkamord. I would also dispatch merchants and bards to all of the towns of Varkamord focusing on the northern towns and especially on Invelk to highlight this story as well as to start stirring up dissention and bad feelings towards the Empire amongst the various towns. These merchants and bards would also be well equipped with money to help fund any possible rebel bands which may already be operating.
Cerdyc would then 'flee' with his men into the mountain region just to the right of Cartien near the border. Here he would be joined in secret by 2,500 of my troops swelling his force to 7,500. He will stay for about 2 weeks, gathering his strength and to solidify his food and equipment supplies. Officially he will then be ‘driven' out of the mountains by the palace troops and into Varkamord whereas in reality he will march into Varkamord under his own violation.

In the time that Cerdyc is ‘hiding' in the mountains Solomiyov will be inventing and broadcasting stories (on both a general and political level) about how Cerdyc has turned to banditry and the terrible atrocities he is committing on the trade routes around the Kingdom. Once again these stories would be mainly focused on Invelk and the northern towns.

At this time I would instruct General Llwellyn to try to contact Lud the Mad to talk parley. I would offer to pay him a large amount of money to attack the northern towns of Glicway, Glalk and Hopalway. The fact that pickings would have been slim on my coastline due to my massive troop presence would be a great asset to me in the negotiations. The other major factor in this deal would be that the Empire does not have a large designated army to repel pirates, in fact most of their forces are far away from the coast concentrated into several small places. This combined with the fact that the Empire has much more exposed coastline this would mean that the pirates would have a much easier time of it raiding the Empires coastline rather than mine. The large payment on top of all of this would sweeten the deal to the point where I don't really think it could be refused. The only way I think this would fail is if Lud the Mad had a personal grudge against the Kingdom and didn't really care about the money although the fact that his brother is a respected resident of the Kingdom makes this very unlikely.

As soon as I was sure that Lud the Mad had sailed away up to the northern part of the Empire 10,000 of General Llwellyns troops would be dispatched to join with my main force giving a total concentrated force of 27,500 troops. I would assign 2,500 of these troops to Solomiyov. The remaining 10,000 troops of General Llwellyn would remain on guard on the coastline (I don't trust Lud THAT much). I would then slowly begin to reinforce my border troops with my regular army. I would justify this by making it known that I would be defending my borders from any possible re-entry in the Kingdom by Cerdyc. Secretly these troops would begin to gather materials for the construction of heavy siege weapons and fortifications. I would also make sure that General Grotha would also know that there is an increased number of troops along the border which would make him cautious of leading his troops in that area.

Whilst this is going on Cerdyc with his 7,500 troops would have taken up position nearby Invelk and would begin in reality to attack and raid the trade routes. As the main trade route for the Empire runs through here this would be a huge blow to the finances of the Empire. Any extra monies and goods seized from the merchants and local people would go towards paying Lud off.

At the same time I would also dispatch 2,000 troops made up of approximately 1,000 archers, 500 infantry and the rest cavalry. These troops would form a screen across main trade route and would stop and take in custody all people who were heading from south from Invelk or anywhere north of the cordon. These soldiers would be under orders to make sure that no-one got through even if this meant using force against people who resisted. This would stop any dispatches from Invelk to either General Grotha or to the capital requested assistance with Cerdyc the bandit. It would also enable me to control a large amount of the information which was received in the southern part of the Empire.

Cerdyc would also be launching raids against the town itself although the mission here would not be to cause casualties but instead to cause chaos and panic amongst the people of the town. This combined with my agents who would still be in the town spreading the horror stories of Cerdycs terrible army and their tendencies to torture any victims that they caught would create the carefully whipped up hysteria I would need amongst the citizens of the town. I would let this continue for 2 more weeks to make sure that my troops and allies are in place.

At this point here are my active troop placements.

I would now dispatch Solomiyov to Invelk with his troops. They would come under a banner of peace to show that they have no hostile intentions towards Invelk. Solomiyov would then explain to the Commander of the Garrison there that the Kingdom of Atastria would like to offer assistance to Invelk to drive away the Cerdyc from the area. He would explain how Atastria can't stand by and watch the good people of Invelk be butchered and robbed and not offer any aid. He would also be pounding home the fact, using all of his charm and oratory skills (and more than a little magic) that the Empire whom he serves apparently cares nothing for them. He would offer the aid of his 2,500 troops to assist the 5,000 Invelk troops in defeating Cerdyc.
I can't see why the commander wouldn't agree to this. He is obviously in need of help at this point and due to the fact that none of his dispatches requesting help are getting through to the Empires army he has received nothing from Grotha, not even a dispatch in return.
Over the next 2 weeks Solomiyov and the Commander would join forces to drive Cerdyc away. Surprisingly enough (to the people on Invelk) despite having a fearsome reputation and an equality of men Cerdyc leaves the region without a fight. Solomiyov would be in contact with Cerdyc using his magic to co-ordinate his retreat movements and strategy and also to pass on any needed details that Cerdyc may not have been present for. During these 2 weeks the agents still placed in the town will be singing the praises of the ‘Saviours of Invelk' and after the hell that the poor townsfolk have just been through I'm sure that they would be more than delighted to join in. At the same time these agents will be denouncing the Empire, pointing out that they did nothing to help against ‘Cerdyc the Evil' and that the job of rescuing Invelk had fallen to the Kingdom of Atastria. Solomiyov will stay here for the present with his troops and will continue working on the Commander of the town. Due to the public feeling around at the moment I am sure it will be a very short time before Solomiyov would be able to convince the Commander to change his allegiance bringing my total available troop count up to 40,000.

STAGE 2

Cerdyc will make his way to the mountain region just below Hopalway as fast as he can. When he arrives there he will rest for a short while, restock his supplies and then start the same routine of plundering and terrorising Hopalway. He will let it be seen that he is obviously based south of Hopalway. Combined with the pirate raids which will also be taking place in and around that area the poor citizens of Hopalway will not have a very good time ahead of them. Cerdyc will also ambush anyone who tries to travel south to the capital although the lack of any public roadway in this area means that there will probably be only small groups of travellers who would travel that way. In effect he will be attempting to blockade the small area of open land between the mountain ranges although due to his small amount of troops I would assume that many people would still manage to slip past.
Solomiyov with his 2,500 troops will take the Commander from Invelk (I'll refer to this person as Captain Bob from now on) and his 5,000 troops across the hill lands to Hopalway — seeming to pursue Cerdyc across the country.
When they arrive at Hopalway they will find the town in a similar state of panic that Invelk was, especially so because they are also being raided by pirates. Upon speaking with the Commander of Hopalway (I'll refer to this person as Captain Jumbo from now on) they will discover that Cerdyc is based south of Hopalway in the mountain region. They will then' seal' the border against any further incursions from Cerdyc. The presence of Captain Bob and his 5,000 troops will mean that Captain Jumbo would not feel threatened by Solomiyov and his 2,500 troops. Solomiyov will use his magic to contact Cerdyc and will hammer out the details for the next part of the plan.
In a ‘surprise attack' Solomiyov will lead his loyal 2,500 troops against Cerdycs camp capturing him in the process. Cerdyc will beg that Solomiyov spare his troops and begs for mercy. Solomiyov will relent and instead of executing him there and then he decides that he will send him back to the capital for judgement by the king. Solomiyov will assign 500 of his troops to this escort duty. They will travel for 20 or so miles, and then they will make camp and wait for Solomiyov to leave.
Due to the increased troop presence in the town the pirates will now focus on Glalk and Glicway. Solomiyov will instruct Lud to harass these towns until he had arrived at town. Once this had happened Lud should make his way down to the fortresses of Edicdee where Grotha is holed up.
Once Cerdyc and the pirates had been driven away the town would be extremely happy. Solomiyov would once again use his oratory skills to persuade Captain Jumbo to join our forces. Combined with the fact that Captain Bob and his troops would be there adding to the story, persuading Captain Jumbo to join would be easy. Solomiyov would consolidate his position for a few more days and would then head north to the town of Glalk taking both Captains Bob and Jumbo along with their 10,000 troops with him. He would leave his original escort of 2,500 troops with the 7,500 troops which were under the command of Cerdyc. At this point Solomiyov would contact Cerdyc and I to let us know how things have gone.
I would now release a new wave of gossip and rumours across the northern part of the Empire. The 2 main points would be the following. 1. Cerdyc had been pardoned by the King and had been re-instated as my Lieutenant. 2. That the southern part of the Empire was crumbling and that it had abandoned the northern part. Although the 2nd rumour could never be confirmed as true the idea would be to plant the seeds of doubt in everyone's mind in the northern part of the Empire.
Cerdyc would then rejoin his troops at Hopalway. With the addition of Solomiyovs 2,500 troops he would now have command of 10,000 troops. The fact that Solomiyov would have taken the Captains and armies of both of the towns that Cerdyc had raided with him would lessen the negative feelings about Cerdyc quite considerably. Cerdyc would then move his troops south to occupy the main road leading to the capital. Here he would spend his time organising his troops, establishing a food stockpile and constructing siege weapons. He would once again do his best to destroy any lines of communication between Grotha and the King, effectively sealing the capital. The fact that there are 30,000 troops in the capital doesn't make much difference at this point as they would have now cottoned onto the fact that I have managed to invade and subvert large sections of the Empire and would probably be preparing themselves for a siege.

I would now move my troops at last. I would instruct 10,000 to occupy the hill lands just north of Edicdee. Here they would construct the fortifications that they had been collecting materials for. The remaining 15,000 troops would make their way down the main road (large armies need large roads to travel effectively) and occupy the section which links the road with the capital. I would now settle down for a siege. At this point in the southern Empire time is on my side.

In this time Solomiyov would be travelling with Captains Bob and Jumbo together with their 10,000 troops. A combination of pirate raids, the rumours I had been spreading, the obvious truth that many troops and leaders had already defected and Solomiyovs oratory skills would mean that these towns would be ready to change rulers. When Solomiyov arrives in each of the towns any raids by pirates would be stopped (due obviously to the 10,000 men that Solomiyov is leading). Solomiyov would then use his massive charm to persuade each of the Commanders to defect. Despite these factors for I will take into account that maybe one of the towns refuses to defect resulting in a battle costing a total of 5,000 troops spread across both sides although I'm sure that at this point there would actually be no problems. I would send the now reduced 7,500 troops that Solomiyov travelled with plus an additional 2,500 down to my main army via the main road. The other 10,000 from the 2 towns that defected would be dispatched to Cerdycs forces. Lud the Mad would then swing around to start raiding Grotha at Edicdee.

My main army would now consist of 35,000 men, 10,000 in fortifications north of Edicdee and 25,000 camped across the main road. I would dispatch the Commanders from the newly defected towns to the fortifications to co-ordinate any troop movements there.
Cerdyc would now have a total of 20,000 men based on the main road near the capital. Solomiyov would join him there.

At this point here are my active troop placements.

STAGE 3

Cerdyc would now begin the siege of the capital Celdeen in earnest. He would fortify the immediate area and would make sure that any possible movement by the troops inside would be checked and countered. He would make good use of the siege weapons he had constructed and would use plenty of nasty demoralising siege tricks such as fire, disease and suffering. All the time through this Solomiyov would use his magic to amplify his voice calling upon the defenders of Celdeen to surrender, telling them that the rest of the Empire has fallen and that they are the only people left who resist.

At the same time my main troops would fortify their position. I would forge several dispatches and pass them through to Grotha informing him of the siege at Celdeen. I would also lead him to believe that the bulk of my forces are based at Celdeen and that there is only a token army camped on the road.

If he did nothing then I would lay siege to his fortresses, once again using as many nasty tricks as possible to get him to surrender. This wouldn't be very pretty but unfortunately if he couldn't be lured from his fortresses then I would have to make sure that he never left them.

If however he decided that he had to assist his King then he would have to leave his fortresses and attack my now well fortified positions to get through. If he did do this then I would also send word to the 10,000 troops based in the fortifications north of Edicdee to attack Grotha from the rear. At this point I would also summon Solomiyov from Cerdycs forces.

Grotha would have to attack a numerically superior force in a fortified position. Combined with the fact that he would also then be attacked from the rear would soon mean the end for him and his army. I would aim to cut down on casualties on both sides by having Solomiyov there to persuade the losing army to surrender.

Then with Grotha in chains I would send 2,000 troops back to each town to ensure that my back was covered. I would then take the remains of my army to assist Cerdyc. At this point I would present Grotha to the city to prove that they are the only resistance left in the Empire. I would prefer it if they chose to surrender at this point as it would save lives on both sides but if they chose not to surrender then I would besiege them until they did. I don't think it would take long. The realisation of the troops that they are fighting for a lost cause would demoralise them so much that I would anticipate taking the city very quickly.

Once the whole messy business was over and my King was now King of the entire continent then I would devote my time and army to hunting down and destroying Lud the Mad and his pirates thus ensuring peace for the foreseeable future.

Please criticise away!!!! It's very hard to look at something objectively when you have been staring at it for a long time!!! :wink:

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KoRnholio wrote:
If you ask me, something like a 4 to 3 numerical advantage isn't going to mean as much as the rest of the factors. I think attackers have an inherent disadvantage to overcome, and while maybe 4 to 3 will do it for an open battle, but not against a nation's last stand in an easily defendable area.

Personally speaking, I don't think we have enough information on Celdeen to really make a proper strategy at all. I cannot come up with detailed information or whatnot because I don't know the exact situation there. You might say that being the last stand, the defense would be fierce (and I agree), but at the very same time, it could also demoralize (some of) the soldiers instead (knowing that they basically only wait until defeated) which could lead to easier and quicker victory. We simply do not know what kind of soldiers, what kind of commanders there are there. So as vague as "attacking straight forward" might sound, that's the best thing I could come up with based on the given information.

Quote:
As for my strategy, thats why I said I would siege Celdeen if I had to continue fighting, because I didn't want to attack it with 30,000 soldiers in it. A siege isn't really attacking. Its kind of goading them into attacking you.

True, but like you said in your assumption for my strategy, you assume that their defense would be fierce and IMO their only intention is to keep the capital city from changing hands to Atastria Kingdom. If that happened, and they wouldn't budge at all to attack you, then what would you do? You're left with no other choice than to attack them openly if you want to conquer them. While attacking from the front might not be the best strategy, it is the one that would most likely to happen if their main objective is to defend their capital city. You cannot force them to attack any longer. Hence, no goading would occur at all.

That is why IMO there is not enough detailed information on Celdeen to allow us coming up with detailed strategy there.

Moody_Mage, I'll comment on yours after I finish the discussion with Kornholio. It's a bit confusing to discuss strategy with two different people about two different strategies at the same time. And I haven't really finished reading your strategy either. Almost midnight here, might have to go to sleep soon and comment on yours after I wake up.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:

True, but like you said in your assumption for my strategy, you assume that their defense would be fierce and IMO their only intention is to keep the capital city from changing hands to Atastria Kingdom. If that happened, and they wouldn't budge at all to attack you, then what would you do? You're left with no other choice than to attack them openly if you want to conquer them. While attacking from the front might not be the best strategy, it is the one that would most likely to happen if their main objective is to defend their capital city. You cannot force them to attack any longer. Hence, no goading would occur at all.
fter I wake up.

A siege doesn't require the defending city to attack the siegers. If they don't attack me, then my troops just surround the city, cutting them off from their food supplies, until either they realize what's going on and they attack, or if they wait too long, they're just weakened anyway and can then be attacked much more easily.

That's all I have to say on your strategy, so now I'll just complement Moody_Mage on his excellent strategy! I can't think of any criticism except for you're using Lud the Mad an awful lot considering all you've got on him is a bribe, and a 'greener pastures' strategy which he'd probably realize soon is no longer true, as he'll know most of your troops away. The point where I think it becomes unreasonable for Lud to stay with you is when you ask him to go down to Edicdee. By then, he'll realize he's just a pawn and he'll probably go back to attacking Bosmond.
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, pirates. It seems everything these days involves pirates; awesome.

First, my lieutenants. Easy enough choices, actually.

First, I chose Dayd because he can convince his brother to halt attacks on Bosmond; this would free up some of the troops stationed there - never one to completely abandon defenses on a city, I'd add about 15000 to my own numbers, leaving 5000 behind to watch the city (my current force = 55000). Also, if possible, he would convince his brother to attack my enemy, the forces in Varkamond by sea, through pirate raids. I'm making an assumption that one of the fortresses at Edicdee is on the water...

I chose my second lieutenant as Solomiyov. Anyone who read my last strategy knows I'm a fan of using morale breakers on the enemy forces. Defections are always amongst the highest cause of falling morale, and the ability to convince defeated enemies to join my cause can be used to further crumbling morale.

First and foremost, the entire force is brought to bear on Edicdee - 55,000 of my soldiers, along with the pirate forces, will attack the fortress bordering the water. My forces, doubling the amount there, plus the pirate attacks would be far more than enough to capture a single fortress. This then becomes a strongpoint and would be used to launch simultaneous attacks on the other two fortresses, 20,000 a piece with the remaining 15,000 staying behind to hold the fortress. I've made an assumption here that I wouldn't need to use a second commander because the forces would be close enough to be commanded from a single point. Solomiyov would assist in this battle with the use of magic, and, when the enemy is on the edge of defeat, drawing defectors to my side. Assuming minimal defections (approx. 10%), this leaves me with approximately 60,000 soldiers at Edicdee before calculating casualties... so, approximately 56,000 (this is supposed to be a surprise attack, and with the pirates' assistance, that might even be a fairly high casualty rate); those who will not defect are kept as prisoners. Chances are, Grotha would defect, being an intelligent human being; however, I will assume he didn't, and will keep him as a prisoner...

Leaving 10,000 troops behind to defend Edicdee, my forces most eastward along the fields and then move northwards, towards Invelk. With only 5,000 troops defending the city, several prisoners are released to the town, allowing them to know of our passage to the southeast; however, after releasing the prisoners, I'd send approximately 5,000 to the west of the city by stealth (the east being blocked by the mountains, and the north too risky). The attack would be simple; draw the attention of the enemy to the south, then have the small force attack into the side of the town, where it's not as heavily defended. The total force would be enough to easily defeat the defenders; once again, with defections and casualties, my forces would remain constant at approximately 45,000 troops with me; once again, those who do not defect are kept prisoner.

Now, there would be two choices from here:
1. Attack Celdeen head on, not worrying about the northern cities
2. Defeat the northern cities

Conquering each individual city in the north would result in a long, drawn out campaign; defeat of the capital would easily break morale further than the loss on Invelk and Edicdee already has. Therefore, I chose option 1. Leaving 10,000 behind to defend Invelk, and drawing 10,000 troops from Edicdee, I turn my attention to the capital, leaving the pirates to raid the northern cities and keep their attention away from me.

With 40,000 troops plus prisoners, I've decided that a siege situation would be in order; after encircling the city, ensuring there is no ways in or out, let Solomiyov have one last talk with the prisoners. Those who still refuse to defect (I figure I have approximately 5,000 prisoners, 500 of which would defect - I've been using 10% as my calculation number). 4,000 of the remaining prisoners - without armour, food, or weapons - are released to the city; Grotha is kept as prisoner. For three days, the forces would sit, not attacking, simply defending against any small raiding parties who tried to charge out. Then, on the dawn of the fourth day, if Grotha has not joined by now, he will be executed, along with most of the remaining prisoners. Usually, I'd try to avoid executions, but during a siege, breaking morale is key. Those surviving prisoners would be released, allowing the news of Grotha's death to reach the Varakmond soldiers. And then, the attack would begin. Solomoiyov would again be a focal part of the force, using magic to bombard the city, while standard siege weaponry would be used the city. Eventually, with increased numbers of people in the city, and no food supply, morale would begin to break.

On the off chance that someone from the northern cities actually organized together, and travelled over land by a route different than Invelk (which would aboslutely murder morale), they would be dealt with simply by moving a small portion of my force to attack.

After several days of sieging and bombardment, the final attack would be made. Between broken morale, and casualties from the bombardment (both magical and mundane), it would be a rather easy fight. The main purpose would be to reach the Emperor and either force a surrender or else execute him; surrender would end of the battle nearly immediately, and execution would dwindle morale further. Celdeen could be conquered in a matter of weeks from the initial deployment.

I'd go into potential flaws in the plan, but they're rather simple; mostly, it would just be the situations where I judged morale breaking sooner than it actually did, or where my defection/casualty rates were off. In the end, I'd expect Celdeen taken with approximatelt 25% of my force being considered "acceptable" casualty loss.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

That's all I have to say on your strategy, so now I'll just complement Moody_Mage on his excellent strategy! I can't think of any criticism except for you're using Lud the Mad an awful lot considering all you've got on him is a bribe, and a 'greener pastures' strategy which he'd probably realize soon is no longer true, as he'll know most of your troops away. The point where I think it becomes unreasonable for Lud to stay with you is when you ask him to go down to Edicdee. By then, he'll realize he's just a pawn and he'll probably go back to attacking Bosmond.

Yeah I realise that. The aim was to try and keep him occupied whilst I was doing other stuff as well as to worry Grotha a bit. Damned pirates.... :evil:
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: