Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So...I'm Thinking About Creating/Writing an Anime

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: So...I'm Thinking About Creating/Writing an Anime Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have written sketches, scripts, short stories, speeches, papers, letters, etc. In fact, one of the only thing that I haven't written is anything along the lines of cartoons or Japanese anime (...or a book). I am thinking about jumping into hostile territory in order to broaden my horizons for my major and possible career opportunities. Okay. Technically it can't be considered an anime, but you know what I mean.

With that said, for any of you who have already been down this road, I have a few questions.

1. Where exactly do you start?
2. Does the humor, romance, action, or whatever come from your personal background or are you doing it for the Japanese culture?
3. What is too cliche or taboo?
4. For What kind of audience are you writing?
5. What role do allusions (entertainment, literary, etc.) have in the creation process for this specific medium?
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not the kind of person that makes anime and stuff, but i know something that people love... Humours...
There are humors in most of the movie made in this world and people do love it...
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The answer to all your question is that its up to you. the "Who is you audience" one especially.

I've got a damn good idea for a graphic novel myself. It's like Animal house + Naruto. Problem is that I have no art skills whatsoever.

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not to sure where you should start, but I do think you need to just simply right a story(Manga) first. Then you base the anime off the Manga.
2. Does the humor, romance, action, or whatever come from your personal background or are you doing it for the Japanese culture?
I haven't wrote any Mangas or Animes so I can't really attack this question, but I can say that I really do like the way japanese action and humor works so well together.
I don't like cheesy humor. Just make sure that its funny and not downright stupid.
Your writing for anyone who enjoys reading Mangas. I have only read the Ghost in the Shell manga. I watch a lot more Anime then I do read it.
5. What role do allusions (entertainment, literary, etc.) have in the creation process for this specific medium?
Not sure how to answer this one.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With a basic outline of the point of your creation. An outline of the characters and story that you find servicable for a few chapters.

Your own. Just as it comes from the Japanese author's own personal background.

Nothing for the former. Approach something well enough and with enough skill at it won't matter. As for what is too taboo, that depends on what you're comfortable with.

Whomever you want. The Dragon Ball manga for example rapidly shifted direction in both content and audience. Go with what works for you, and those that like it will be the audience you're writing for.

As much as you want or need it to be. Allusions are useful things. Especially if you can crowbar them in in a ironic or humourous way.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just like you would anything else. Anime is just a term, really, which has come to imply Japanese-styled cartoons. That's it. Plot is so incredibly varied that it wouldn't matter what kind of story you wrote. Anything can be animated.

2. Does the humor, romance, action, or whatever come from your personal
background or are you doing it for the Japanese culture?

Nope. Not even all anime is Japanese based. They do it like that because it's familiar to them. To make something appeal to a more international basis, try to do a little research and avoid something that people outside of your country/area are unfamiliar with.

Battle-nurse-android-priestess-megane-twin-mech-catgirl-maids in a bikini.

General audience, really.... something kids can read or watch for a face value while the older audience will appreciate much of the deeper meanings in dialogue, characters, and setting.

Research is always your friend. You can never have enough and once you start, you'll find you can't stop. Ever... you'll wander around the library and pick out anything you haven't read about before. Seriously. :|

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I made an episode or whatever they are called at this stage of the game. Hah.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I really do appreciate your input. Now I just need to wait for an opportunity to share it.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As someone who has been creating his own excessively large and somewhat convoluted sci-fi universe for over two years, I have to echo Mr. Layfield's sentiments. A solid foundation is a must. Spend as much time as you need developing that backstory, work into your main cast of characters, how they all relate to each other, then start building from there. You'd be surprised how easily things can start rolling once you've established something you're happy with and know your characters and their world inside-out.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: So...I'm Thinking About Creating/Writing an Anime Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Better late than never to jump in here. I was/am writing an online manga though the term is probably a bit restrictive now, since I'm working on my own style which is not necessarily japanese anymore.

Personally my story started with my sister's dream. I started watching anime and I liked the way characters were portrayed but especially the emotions that the japanese style allows. From that dream I sat down with my sister and we established a simple plot and some characters. I threw myself straight into it with abandon, and suffered for the lack of planning as I was just stealing characters from here there and everywhere and trying to fit them into one story.

So I after I finished my first pad I stepped back and decided I needed to restart the entire thing and make all the characters into my own creations. Drawing other peoples characters now annoys me because I seem them how they're drawn and knowing that anything you do with a character could be out of character for them was too much pressure. So I made them all my own so I could do whatever I wanted with them.

One of my characters turned out to have a massive backstory which was going to be too large to flashback so I dropped that project and went back to tell his story first. That is how my online manga started. Between me and my sister we expanded the world that our story was set in and we now have at least 9 different stories in the same world(s) to tell and our research has gone a long way towards making them fit together.

Haha good question. Well like most people when I first encountered anime I was infatuated with it in every form. I started thinking I was japanese and trying to get my drawings/stories/humour to pass as if I was natural to it. More recently I have realised that I am never going to be japanese so I might as well accept that and take my own path without tying myself down to the japanese 'norm'. It is a great place to start though, to throw yourself in and see how well you can do.

Theoretically the beauty of anime/manga is that the answer to both of those is "nothing". If you can think of a cliché like sailor scouts saving the world, there's obviously Sailor Moon but also a legion of rip offs and attempts at everything out there. Schoolgirl saves the world IMO is cliché to the extreme, it irritates me how many stories are based around that, and often simply for the fact that a cute girl in a school uniform will draw readers/watchers.

Too taboo? Think of something that is so incredibly wrong you couldn't imagine anyone drawing it. Anime has been there and far worse. The only things that are taboo really are what your target audience wouldn't appreciate. If you want your parents to read your comic don't go putting rape or gore in there.

Me personally? I write the stories 90% for myself. I love drawing and I love developing stories... drawing my manga does both things for me and apart from those sad moments when you see someone else using your original idea or someone pointing out how much your story is like another, its very fulfilling.

The other 10% is my sister/friends that are my fanbase. They encourage me to keep going, though even that isn't enough at the moment as I'm in a large lull. When other people read what you're doing and start saying things like "hurry up I wanna see what happens next!" and "you should release that in a zip file so I can download them all at the same time", it also makes the whole thing worthwhile.

For a start the only allusions in my comic were stolen characters from other games/anime. I quickly realised this was limiting me to the extreme and I had to rework everything to fit to my mold.

More recently I've found ( and others mentioned this as well ) that I'm reaching into my own roots to find stories to share. Since I am of Asatru (Norse) faith I have twisted my story around and it now fits perfectly into the norse concept of the Yggdrasil and the 9 worlds of creation and all of the scriptures of old norse.

It is now so entirely based in norse prophecy that I could not remove that aspect of it without 90% of my story falling to pieces. This is a good thing however, as a large part of having a successful story is having a world and characters that readers can identify with and believe in.

Oh and FYI "Anime" refers to animated japanese cartoons, such as you would watch on TV or at the movies. "Manga" refers to the comic form of the japanese art and graphic storytelling.

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So...I'm Thinking About Creating/Writing an Anime Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh, I'll post anyway in case someone is thinking the same.

Thor McOdin wrote:

Like Yohn posted, anime is really just a term for Japanese animation.
If you are really serious, I would recommend finding a studio, suitable for your story. There are plenty of animation studios, and it might be a good idea to ask someone who is in the field of animation, script writing, or directing.
If you want to give the story a try, you might want to try doing a webcomic, and seeing how popular it is, and what kind of commets you recieve. Broken Saints who started off as an online comic, got famous, and now has a DVD out for their story. They used a school's studio, so you may want to try going to an art school, in order to get advice from people who were from the field. They might even sponser you if your story is good enough.
BTW, if you're thinking of doing this IN JAPAN, you need to really push yourself with the language, and get to know people in the business in Japan. You'll also be competing with people who are from Japan. Remember, most Japanese companies will be more willing to hire a Japanese person, opposed to a foreigner. You have to show them you're better then the other canadiates, and know the language enough to mingle with them. If you come in with broken Japanese, and a script they don't really understand, they won't accept it.

Quote:

Are you referring to anime in general? Our view points on why we like anime?
As Yohn posted, anime doesn't always revolve around Japanese culture. Hellsing was based in Britian, and doesn't revolve around Japanese culture at all. Humor, romance, action, and drama are elements in stories, so it's not only associated with anime. Japanese culture is just placed in anime since that is their culture. That's why the inside jokes in animes would be a lot more funny if you knew the culture(pop and traditional), and the language well, it'd be more funny. Same with the inside jokes in western cartoons.
As for our views, I have interest in Japanese culture, and this is due to anime pulling me in. However, I do have standards on what I like or dislike. Some things which have nothing to do with whether or not the story is from Japan or not.

Quote:

This will vary from person to person. Some hate your typical hero, who always fights for justice, is emotional, etc. Others hate your cliche girl who is your damsel in distress. You need to think of the kind of audience YOU want to target. So if you want to do another Mecha warrior, and a pilot who stops war, then go for it. It'd be difficult to please everyone, but you can see what happens.
As falcon posted, taboos should only depend on the audience, and whether or not you offend them. If you wanted something PG13, then you should think about excluding any underage sex scenes, or anything too violent. In the western countries(U.S, Canada, Europe), you should be careful of any Christian symbolism or aspects you have. If stories like Xenogears, or Angel Sanctuary upset them, then your story won't sell well with them.

Quote:

It depends on the story really. If you write something romantic, then of course your general audience are romantics. If you write something with mechas, it'll pull the mecha audience. If your story is really good, then you can pull in a variety of people.
As Falcon posted, you really should be writing for yourself though. It's easy to sell your soul, and do whatever the general audience wants. You'll get more money for pleasing the general audience, but it'll stress you out a lot more if you yourself don't enjoy it. Many authors and directors have experienced this, and why they left companies since they wanted to change their stories to meet the general audience. So it may be best for you to take that into consideration.

Quote:

Allusions tend to a play a great role in stories, especially if the people can recongize them. Final fantasy for example uses gods, creatures, from other religions. When you base your characters, or story off something else, it gives the character a bigger impact. Especially with religious/mythical beings. You can create your own as well, but that will take more time and mind power then if you were to take a book from a religion or History, and base the characters on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: