Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

if you got suikoden 2 or 3 before 1 did you think.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: if you got suikoden 2 or 3 before 1 did you think..... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when i got suikoden 2 i thought that the first suikoden would have the same characters in it did you think that too
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got three and the one and then two, but no I didn't think that it would have the same characters in it. I was expecting a final-fantasy type thing cause that was all I knew, boy was I pleasantly surprised
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Suikoden Discussion forum is here for a reason, folks.

Since I played Suikoden II before I really got into the original, I can say that I expected a few guys, simply because of the references that are made. But, there was never a point in time where I thought the entire cast was from Suikoden.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't think it would have the same characters. I liked two a lot more than one thought so I expected a little more from itl

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first got the second Suikoden, then the third and then finally found the first in a used game section. I actually didn't wonder much about the characters in the first... at that point for some reason I didn't think much of what the first game in any series was like. ;P

I was pleased to see Flik in Suikoden I though... and Viktor :)

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I need to get a copy of the first Suikoden and the second. The second game costs too much though. I've seen people selling copies for over $200.

Rebel of Babylon

1137766 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was fortunate to get and play the games in order, but I was pleased that favourites from the first game returned for Suikoden II, and though Suikoden III featured a much smaller cast of returning characters, I was pleased and especially enjoyed the small mentions to events from the previous games.

(on a side note, for a moment, since Lufia II is a prequel to the original Lufia, I was quite surprised that Lexis Shaia - the inventor - appeared in Lufia II which was set at least 99 years prior to the original game. Now, either Lexis is very long lived or he has invented something which has constantly rejuvated him.)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lexis is in both Lufia's? I know that someone else is also, but that someone makes sense.

Back on topic, I played them in order. I first rented the first one, then the second and simply got lucky when I bought them. I got Suikoden 1 used with a 5 dollar discount, same with the second one. And I bought them at different times. How I managed that I don't know. I spent 40 dollars to get them both, lucky me.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I figured that there would be at least two or three. I never expected practically half the cast including Gremio, Tir, and all the non portrait NPC's in Gregminster to show up, though.

I played the games in order, and back then I was really pleased with the returning characters. I was a young kid back then, so nostalgia was a really good style for me when it comes to sequels.

As I got older, I realized what it took to create a good story, innovation, which IMHO is the most important aspect in an RPG. To me, reusing characters, storylines, etc. lessens the impact those respective things had on the previous story. Sometimes, they get lucky when they bring back such aspects numerous times just like Luc, but it wouldn't have worked forever. Jeanne, Leknaat, and Viki work because they aren't part of the major story, but I'm sure we'll be getting tired of them if they keep showing up after 25 sequels or so.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Queen wrote:
I need to get a copy of the first Suikoden and the second. The second game costs too much though. I've seen people selling copies for over $200.

Ahh, get the first as soon as possible! ;D Gremio! *Fangirl*

Try looking for the game used instead of checking online auction sites (if that's where you've been going). I've seen it at Gamestop - albeit all used copies - going for $49.99. I was just lucky to have loved the cover art when I saw it and bought it new. x_x Best of luck finding it. :)

Get the first one! :D *Dork*

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all I got the 2nd one (I've played it for 8th times already)

Then I got the first one in ordfer to got Tir in my 2nd Suiko (I've played twice but the funny things is I never Played The Gremio's death part for coincidence reason. My brother always play that part for me even I'm not asking him!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Played them in order, and I was quite surprised to see the difference between the two Flik. I like him better in the original; both in artwork and characterisation.

Returning characters were cool, especially the bonus McDohl. But I wasn't expecting it to come back in any form in Suikoden III... partly because I don't fancy making a team of True Rune users, but moreso since you already have way too many of them in that game.

The progress in gameplay were OK. I'd imagine that it'll be a bit difficult to adjust to the less complicated way of doing things in the earlier games if you go backwards.

However even without returning characters and heavy references to past games, I felt the original was as good as any. I wouldn't be surprised if another installment would take the same approach and almost alienate the other installments in order to give a wholesome Suikoden experience without the need to play the others. 'Tis good!
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calupict wrote:
Then I got the first one in ordfer to got Tir in my 2nd Suiko (I've played twice but the funny things is I never Played The Gremio's death part for coincidence reason. My brother always play that part for me even I'm not asking him!)

;P I never read spoilers about that part before playing the first game (even though I'd had the second Suikoden for 4 years by that time). It came as a total surprise (and shock to me). xP Video games usually like killing off my favorite characters it seems - I've decided I've got some kind of sixth sense and choose to sympathize with those characters that are destined to die. ;P Hey, he's the one revival in a video game I didn't mind one bit whatsoever. :D But that could just be because I was an instant fan of his... now I just turned fangirl over the last month. ;) Cried during that part so much it wasn't funny - more than I cried to any movie/book/game/death.

Flik in the first and second seemed so different to me. Starting with Suikoden II it came as a big surprise to me that he looked and acted so differently in the first (and boy does he look like he aged based on his character potraits ;) All in just three years; that boy needs some rest and good food). I was also quite surprised that this "Odessa" he referred to in the second installment was actually a character in the first. I don't know why I didn't think she would be in the first - but then again I didn't even wonder which characters would've been in the first - if any. :) M'eh.

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheAngelicSin wrote:
Queen wrote:

Ahh, get the first as soon as possible! ;D Gremio! *Fangirl*

Try looking for the game used instead of checking online auction sites (if that's where you've been going). I've seen it at Gamestop - albeit all used copies - going for $49.99. I was just lucky to have loved the cover art when I saw it and bought it new. x_x Best of luck finding it. :)

Get the first one! :D *Dork*

Last year, I found a copy of S2 for $25.(This was online.) It was around christmas time, so I asked my mom to get if for me as a christmas gift. She didn't think about buying it though until it had already been sold. >.<

Oh well. At least I have good friends with copies of both 1 and 2.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ouch, that must be a bummer right there. I have no friends (except one acquaintance who I'm not even sure lives in the city or on the island - nyc vs. long island ;P really not too big a deal but still...) who play Suikoden so I'd pretty much be screwed if one of my copies broke...

Although my Suikoden I copy doesn't play smoothly on my Playstation (only on the Playstation 2). Ah well, I have two copies. ;) I just have to check how the second one is running. One of them I'm sending to a friend of mine out of state so hopefully I don't end up screwing myself over by realizing later that the "new" copy of it I got doesn't work or something. Arrrgh, well we'll see I guess. :)

It would be nice to see a rerelease. Not necessarily a remake or anything... just a rerelease so I won't have to worry about my game malfunctioning. I doubt you could bootleg the game; could you? :) That would be neat (for me having a spare copy that is ;P) Then again I probably shouldn't ask since it'll stir things up to the point where it seems I'm trying to get rich via. Suikoden II over ebay. :roll:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: