Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

what's the big idea?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaze Silven

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: what's the big idea? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

do you people notice on the news that all they are showing is stuff that the iraqi's doing, and not enough of the enemy's side of the story. is this
a faulty country or are we just cowards? give me some replys i want to know why.
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They aren't going to show the Iraqi's side of the war on American or British television. The media is going to show stuff to get the Americans or British people ire's up. Having the media talk about innocent people being be-headed or whatnot will make most Americans angry. Thats what the millitary wants us to see. With hopes that more of the 18-30 or whatever crowd enlists in the military.

Is the same principle as whom ever wins the war gets to write the history about it. See the Alamo for example. Texas got wipped out by the Mexicans, that is the mainly only part of that battle that is agreed upon. How many Mexicans were there that invaded, how many Mexicans died is up for debate. As is how Davey Crocket and Buey died. Since the US won they died as heroes who died in battle and that gave the Texans all the motivation they needed. If Mexico woulda won Texas still maybe part of Mexico and all Texans would be taught to lova Santa Anna.

But yeah, thats simply I guess part of the spoils of victory. That and propaganda.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, this is a war, what do you expect?
Its all about propaganda.

The thing is, both sides use propaganda. Both sides regard themselves as the "right" side and their enemy as the "evil".
In the end, the one that wins is the hero, the one that loses is the bad guys. It has been like this throughout history everywhere, it will continue to be like this.
Sad, but its true.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: what's the big idea? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zanmato Silven wrote:
do you people notice on the news that all they are showing is stuff that the iraqi's doing, and not enough of the enemy's side of the story. is this
a faulty country or are we just cowards? give me some replys i want to know why.

I`m not 100% I get what you mean, but I`ll try to answer.

Err...there have been plenty of media attention towards all the "wrong" stuff the Coalition have been doing, if that`s what you mean. Just look at the Abu Ghraib(sp?) prison scandal. And there have certainly been many headlines whenever a bomb has gone astray and hitten a civilian target. And what about the endless debates about the war? At least that`s here in Norway...it might be different in America.

And what is "the enemy"? Now that Saddam is gone, the "enemy" is mostly fundamentalist anti-American terrorist groups, who seem to like setting off bombs in the middle of crowded cities(and even at the local UN headquarters once, IIRC). Why should we have any sympathy for them? I can understand that they want to govern their own country, but the US and other Coalition forces should we leaving fairly soon anyway. The US doesn`t want to be there longer than neccessary, for financial reasons if nothing else...

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"The media is going to show stuff to get the Americans or British people ire's up. Having the media talk about innocent people being be-headed or whatnot will make most Americans angry. Thats what the millitary wants us to see. With hopes that more of the 18-30 or whatever crowd enlists in the military"

First off the military does not controll the media. Yeah sure the whole propaganda bit is true. All you really need to do is look in the right place and you will see some of Iraq's points of view. Just a few months ago I was watching an Iraqi civilians point of view on the war on MTV of all places!

The media in general never shows us anything really positive anyway. I'm not just talking about the war either. When have we ever seen any headlines like "Local Parade Brings Joy to Small Mexican Family" It just won't sell. Instead they will pitch the story like "Three People Murdered in Local Parade". The news won't get the ratings if it shows us positive stuff. Thats just how it is in America, everything is about money. If CNN doesn't get good ratings they don't make as much money.

As for the military involvment in Iraq most people would say that we (The American People) have been lied to by Bush. (I know this is getting political but please don't bite my head off.) Well I would much rather off him went and checked if Sudam had nuclear weapons than to do nothing even if it was just a rumor or something. Even if he did tell us he was sure just to comfort people. But now that we have taken Sudam out what are we still doing there? People have the common misconception that you can just bring the whole military back out of a country over night. There are things to be considered as to which battalions will be taken out first and if their taken out how will terrorist groups respond. That and things need to be preped.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Locke, you'd have a point if the Coalition forces were countries where the government controlled the media. Unfortunately, they don't. I think the media will change depending on where you get it - obviously Fox News, and Move On are going to paint you very, very different portraits of the way things are going in Iraq.

Now, I do see your point in a way because many media oulets suck up so that they can get lucretive inside info/first questions at press conferences (ESPECIALLY with this administration)/interviews with the higher ups. But there is an equally high number of media outlets who realize that bad sells well, and worst sells even better. People like to buy negative stuff - why, I could not remotely tell you, but bad news always outsells the good. (For example, there were 900 kabillion stories on Columbine, but around 20 about how school safety was actually improving at the time.) So IMO it balances out. And there isn't a lot of full-scale blind partisanship in American media - both sites look at the Abu Gharib situation pretty darn critically. We don't have people denying it happened at all, or others saying that it's a hoax, or such.

All countries are faulty, because all people are faulty. Are we more "broke" than any other country? I'd argue no. We're just broken in different ways. :mrgreen:

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ManInBlack390 wrote:
As for the military involvment in Iraq most people would say that we (The American People) have been lied to by Bush. (I know this is getting political but please don't bite my head off.) Well I would much rather off him went and checked if Sudam had nuclear weapons than to do nothing even if it was just a rumor or something.

I more or less agree, but remember that the UN inspectors were there to check for weapons of mass destruction. On the other hand, they didn`t seem to be getting anywhere. But still, Bush should have been more sincere, and he should have respected the UN a lot more. But that`s another debate entirely...

And "bad news" will always dominate the media, simply because it breaks the norm. At least here in the West, most people generally lead comfortable, safe lives. So why bother making a news report about everyday stuff that millions of people do? That`s not news at all.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yaryarblar....I had enough of alternivite history on friday.

I cannot say why things are as they are, for many reaons...70% of that is just not knowing or knowing how to explain.

on Iraq, lets start at the begining....like when we were friends with the one countriy and gave them weapons...because we were buddies. Its like giving me un-doable Admin Prvilages....so then I get mad beacuse some little twit (a pregnant goldfish) irked me...but you love that person. I go on a Banning spree.

or at least thats how I see the war......we helped somonme they don't like..so we're the bad guy.

seriously, I'd like to see this situation without "god in it" because without us aren't they fighting over god? not food or oil amonst themselfs.

then again, I'm moslty ignorant on world matters. To save this post from spiraling into doom...I suggest getting somone educated in the field to say somthing.

So Brithish and American TV isn't covernt what you want? Then go snag some air waves and watch their news, buy their news paper...or maybe induge in Russian/Chinese/other's news shows.

isn't that what you want?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: